Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Issues in North County Dublin

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've visions of some guy bottling tap water and selling it Dell Boy style now :pac:

mother15.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Lady Davenport

I put my heating on a while ago, and after twenty minutes there was no heat in the rads at all. All I need now is to lose the electricity and I might I might as well be living in a cave! Watch out for your heating guys, I thought I'd get a day or two more out of it but no such luck.

Thats the one Beasty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

There are camping stoves in the Arrow for €12.95 (excluding gas canisters) and "super-ser" heaters in the the hardware store on Drogheda St in Balbriggan for €39.99. You may have to invest Lady Davenport.

We have a water supply here but the pressure is down.

Eoineo wrote: »
    There are camping stoves in the Arrow for €12.95 (excluding gas canisters) and "super-ser" heaters in the the hardware store on Drogheda St in Balbriggan for €39.99. You may have to invest Lady Davenport.
    Its starting to look that way :pac:
    We have a water supply here but the pressure is down.
    Are you in Balrothery too? I was told by someone living in Rosepark that they have water but its low pressure, but I'm still out. Bizarre stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 rosenstocktakeh

No water in Portmarnock or Malahide either.

Off since this afternoon.

I wonder did the Council just neglect this problem over the weekend, have a meeting this morning and decide that wider scale action was then required. Their website wasn't updated all weekend on the issue.

A bit of information wouldn't go amiss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭zainabc

Hi im in ringfort i had 2 hours of water then all water cut off have no heating tank is empty i tink :(:( anyone else in same boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Their website wasn't updated all weekend on the issue.

A bit of information wouldn't go amiss.
    Their website gives a link to Twitter which was updated with some info over the weekend.

http://twitter.com/Fingalcoco

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Sinemo

Their twitter wasn't really helpful this afternoon when they stated there wouldn't be any cut offs today (just lowering pressure), but parts of malahide were left without water...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 steveccie

Basically the problem is pressure - Balruddery Wood already mentioned is above the 40m contour and as a result the low pressure being provided by the pumping station means the water cannot reach you - fluid mechanics. Therefore lower lying houses in the same vicinity will have water as a result.

PS: By the way LIDL in Balbriggan have batches of 2Ltr water just inside the door for < 50c. HTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Steve would you have a link or any idea of what other areas in Balrothery/Balbriggan are above the 40m contour please?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 sagit

Hi, I'm in Balruddery Wood, any ideas about the water? I was after ringing council but all lines are busy, so no hope anyway.
    Is there water to be deliver by tanker or something, I've heard, but could'n get more info about that?

sagit

Hi,
    It's referenced in the 2002 planning sessions from Fingal Co Council -> http://www.fingalcoco.ie/minutes/meeting_doc.aspx?id=20715
    This pre-dates the newer estates in Balrothery so no named estates shown but it does show they knew about potnetial issues in the area prior to allowing planning permission to be granted.

I think it is fair to say that alternative planning will be needed by residents in this area. Supply and demand dictate that unless we get large rainfall in the next 10 days - with demand remaining high between leaks and idiots running taps then reduced\no water will be the norm until the reservoirs get back up to appropriate levels unfortunetly. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Sinemo wrote: »
    Their twitter wasn't really helpful this afternoon when they stated there wouldn't be any cut offs today (just lowering pressure), but parts of malahide were left without water...
    But the source of the water has not been cut off. As said already its a pressure issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Sinemo

So surely areas in malahide would then have low pressure if this was the case? Others in malahide have not encountered any problems (at least thats how it was last night)

Please remember that different areas are fed by different pumping stations\subsidiary reserviors - for example Balrothery is fed by the palmerstown reservoir - see the plan below.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Water/WaterServicesProjects/WaterProjects/BalbrigganWaterSupply/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Dubrub

I got through to the emergency number at Fingal Co.
    As previously stated they have not switched off the water, they have reduced the pressure and this is giving problems to some estates and houses on higher ground.
    I also asked will there be tankers sent around to any of the affected estates and the person was unable to tell me ,, grrrrrr.
    I was talking to a friend who lives in Rosepark and seemingly the water came on for about 2 hours yesterday,, this should be enough time to refill the tanks in the attic. If there is anyone here from Balruddery Woods did you notice the water being restored at anytime yesterday??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dani x

I was just wondering is anybody else in the fingal area having trouble with their water?? My area has had no water since saturday afternoon and a family friend that works for the council told us their is no water in the water tanks as fingal co co gave water to dublin city co co and never got it back the family friend also told us we could be with out water untill next week or at very best the end of this week!!! my many efforts to contact the council have been wasted their phone is constantly engaged (probably off the hook) and they haven't responed to my emails!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Issybella

I live in Portmarnock and its the same here. we've had no water since yesterday when we came home from work.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Issybella wrote: »
    I live in Portmarnock and its the same here. we've had no water since yesterday when we came home from work.
    Is that still the case? The notice on their site says it should now be restored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

ixoy wrote: »
    Is that still the case? The notice on their site says it should now be restored.

Had a cup of coffee on Wendell Avenue at 1pm and the water was back on. I think it was restored just before I arrived.

Pressure is still down because they are still experiencing a huge demand above normal.

You can also check www.twitter.com/fingalcoco

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Pressure is still down because they are still experiencing a huge demand above normal.
    Is the demand down to people still keeping taps on? Could Fingal CoCo maybe put up a note on the site explaining why people shouldn't leave taps running (and not just because it runs the reservoirs low)?

I've got stuff coming out of my taps at the moment, but it doesn't bare much resemblance to water - unless water should be cloudy grey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Issybella

Water was back on when I arrived in around 6:30pm after some spurting. Smells awful but at least there is some for now. Hard to know if they will turn it off again at any moment over the next few days. Bottled WAter at the ready now.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've got stuff coming out of my taps at the moment, but it doesn't bare much resemblance to water - unless water should be cloudy grey.
    Cloudy grey should be fine - does it clear after a couple of minutes?

Cloudy brown is a bit different though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 p1x1e

still no water for us. janey mack lads, this is no fun.... should the council get bear grylls out to us, teach us how to live without water? ;-)

p1x1e wrote: »
    should the council get bear grylls out to us, teach us how to live without water? ;-)

Erm no thanks p1x1e, he'd probably stick a straw in an elephant turd and tell us theres vitamin packed water in the centre :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

Is the demand down to people still keeping taps on? Could Fingal CoCo maybe put up a note on the site explaining why people shouldn't leave taps running (and not just because it runs the reservoirs low)?

People left taps on which were frozen, pipes are/were broken and mains leaks also occurred underground. As a result reservoirs supplies dropped to critical levels, which remains the case. Farming communities tend to leave water on for animals to feed when its frozen up.

Insurance companies advertising for people to leave their taps on didn't help either.

Cloudy water isn't harmful but tends to smell a little. Perfectly ok to drink I might add. Boil if not too happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Swords must have escaped the no water. Been running here fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Lenguy

No supply here for 24hrs. Apparently the other side of the village have some sort of trickle, but nothing in The Links, The Kilns or Seabrook Manor.
    Can anyone down this side / Kinsealy / Baldoyle offer anything more positive?
    :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

Lenguy wrote: »
    No supply here for 24hrs.
    :(

count yourself lucky, we haven't had water since Saturday night. Not easy with a two month old baby in the house.

Advertisement