Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Issues in North County Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Lenguy

dubmick wrote: »
    count yourself lucky, we haven't had water since Saturday night. Not easy with a two month old baby in the house.
    Fair enough, but I'm just looking for updates in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

just having a moan mate. It's ridiculous at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Larianne wrote: »
    Swords must have escaped the no water. Been running here fine.
    The County Manager must want to be able to flush his loo whenever he likes. Us folk in the sticks just aren't as lucky. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 p1x1e

ok so now the water main has burst (see fingal website) and i've heard it might push us (in the hills) getting water back by 12 hours or so. obviously they're working very hard on fixing it but it doesn't make me any less grumpy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Lenguy wrote: »
    No supply here for 24hrs. Apparently the other side of the village have some sort of trickle, but nothing in The Links, The Kilns or Seabrook Manor.
    Can anyone down this side / Kinsealy / Baldoyle offer anything more positive?
    :(

A friend of mine in the Coast is unaffected. May have to ring her tonight to have a shower at her place :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Lenguy wrote: »
    No supply here for 24hrs. Apparently the other side of the village have some sort of trickle, but nothing in The Links, The Kilns or Seabrook Manor.
    I'm in the Links and I've had water. It's been milky in colour and sometimes comes in spurts, but it's been there since yesterday evening and was there this morning before I left.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Here in Swords we have reduced pressure but haven't been cut off so far.
    Makes a nice change because for a good few years we were cut off regularly. Hardly a week went by without the electricity or water being off.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Paulw wrote: »
    Updated at 1pm today:

Water levels in reservoirs in Fingal have recovered somewhat but some areas are still without water today Wednesday 13th January. Affected areas include Dublin 15, North County, rural areas and Howth/Sutton. Water pressure has been increased since 6am and we are diverting water supply to areas without water to help local supplies recover. It will take longer for water supply to come back in areas on higher ground.
    A burst watermain is affecting Rush, Lusk, Skerries and Man-O-War. The burst is being repaired and water is expected to return to these areas later today.
    Fingal County Council is manning water tankers and standpipes at the following locations around the county until 8pm tonight. We appreciate customers continuing patience while they are without water.

Tankers Locations are as follows:
    Castleknock -College Road alternating between Georgian Village Estate and Laurel Lodge Estate every 2 hours
    Lanesborough Estate, Dublin 11 - moving to Meakstown later today (time to be confirmed)
    Ring Commons, Naul
    Naul Village
    Main St. Skerries
    Man-O-War Pub

Stand Pipe Locations (manned by Council staff) are as follows:
    Balrothery Inn, Balrothery (south of Balbriggan)
    Garristown Inn

Emergency supplies are being sent to priority areas until water supply returns to normal. Tanker and standpipe locations will be reviewed on an ongoing basis depending on demand. We ask members of the public to bear with us as our staff deal with an extremely high volume of calls and respond to queries on disruption to water supplies throughout the day. Regular updates will be posted to our Website Aertel P624 and Twitter as soon as they are available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 crocker_

After trying for 2 hours last night to get through to Fingal Co Co Emergency Line AND another 2 hours this morning to get through on their normal Water Queries line, some idiot informed me that any problems being experienced with water in The Kilns or Seabrook Manor in Portmarnock is the responsiblity of the Management Companies and then hung up. I am SOOOOOOOO annoyed :mad:

Needless to say, have tried to phone the Management Agents and anyone that can help is "not available". It has been three days without a proper water supply - absolutely ridiculous!! :(

If anyone else in The Kilns or Seabrook Manor is having problems, can you please logs issues with the Management Agents so that they might finally get their finger out and do something about it!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

crocker_ wrote: »
    some idiot informed me that any problems being experienced with water in The Kilns or Seabrook Manor in Portmarnock is the responsiblity of the Management Companies and then hung up.

How is a management company responsible for public water supply? What utter rubbish. It's a Fingal Co Co problem. I wouldn't waste your time calling your management agent. Just get back on to Fingal Co. Co.

They're probably fed up of calls, and give any answer to get rid of people. I know the people at the end of the phone aren't at fault, but they should be trained to deal with such queries better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 crocker_

Paulw wrote: »
    How is a management company responsible for public water supply? What utter rubbish. It's a Fingal Co Co problem. I wouldn't waste your time calling your management agent. Just get back on to Fingal Co. Co.

They're probably fed up of calls, and give any answer to get rid of people. I know the people at the end of the phone aren't at fault, but they should be trained to deal with such queries better.
    Spoke to a different person in the Water Department just now - got through in 5 minutes. They say because the Estates on Station Road have not been taken in hand by Fingal Co Co, it is the Management Company that is responsible for anything from the main road in - including water supplies. Spoke with receptionist in Wyse and they said they have had a number of calls and are sending engineers out to take a look at "pumps". I just feel like banging some heads together!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Spoke to a different person in the Water Department just now - got through in 5 minutes. They say because the Estates on Station Road have not been taken in hand by Fingal Co Co, it is the Management Company that is responsible for anything from the main road in - including water supplies. Spoke with receptionist in Wyse and they said they have had a number of calls and are sending engineers out to take a look at "pumps". I just feel like banging some heads together!!!

I rang the Management Company and spoke to the agent there, at 9.30am this morning - she said they were sending their Contractor out to have a look at it, to see if its something at their side.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 forgetting

I don't think this is an issue with the pumps as we had issue with pumps about 2 weeks ago due to the power failure in Seabrook Manor and this caused the hot taps to stop working, the cold kitchen tap worked fine.

The problem occurring now in Seabrook is affecting the cold taps (well it is in my apt anyway) so this is nothing to do with the pumps, as the water to the cold taps is fed directly into the apartment before it gets to the tank, the pump is at the other side of the tank feeding the hot taps. The hot taps will keep working until you run out of water in your tank.

I don't think there is much point in Wyse coming out to look at pumps, the problem is that the water is not getting into the buildings.

I am a novice when it comes to plumbing but I would like to share the information about Seabrook pumps that I learned from our experience (as I understand it anyway!) in case anyone else has same issue in future: apparently when the power goes, it can cause the pumps that are in Seabrook apts to "reset" and this why our pump stopped. If your pump does go, this will cause low pressure on hot taps, but cold kitchen tap will work fine. You will not hear the pump kicking in when you start hot tap, flush toilet etc. The plumber reset the pump by removing the fuse in the black circuit box on top of the pump for 30 secs and placing it back in. It cost us 150 euro to get told this so hopefully I can save someone this money if it happens to anyone else! Actually the plumber told us that usually Wyse send someone out to check pumps when there is power cut since this happens frequently, but we did not hear anything from Wyse and the neighbours pump was working fine so we must have been just unlucky that ours reset itself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 p1x1e

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

No mains water in Howth Summit area since teatime Tuesday :(

p1x1e wrote: »

[a bit off-topic]
    Regarding the locations of the tankers - Wouldn't you think that Fingal Co Co would know that there is no Main St in Skerries. There is a Strand St though. Sweet Jebus!
    [/a bit off-topic]

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Fingalcoco 8am update:

EMERGENCY WATER UPDATE - 8am Thursday 14th January

- Tankers and standpipes will be on site this morning. Locations posted here as soon as confirmed.
    - Live updates posted on Twitter

Water levels in reservoirs in Fingal are improving but many areas are still without water.
    Areas that will continue to be affected include, but are not confined to; Lanesborough, Balrothery, Garristown, Naul and surrounds, Skerries and surrounds, high areas in Howth.
    Water supply may not be returned to areas listed above for a number of days. Updates will be provided as soon as they are available.
    We are diverting water supply to areas without water to help local reservoirs recover. It will take longer for water supply to come back in areas on higher ground.
    Fingal County Council is will provide water tankers and open standpipes in worst affected areas today. We appreciate customers continuing patience while they are without water and would like to assure all customers that the Council is using all available resources to restore full normal water supply to Fingal

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Water is gone in some estates off St Cronans Ave in Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

sigh.....despite the fact that there's a reservoir right outside my bloody window we've had no water since Sunday at this stage. Thank god there are showers in the office but it's still incredibly unhygenic and quite frankly a joke that we're so unprepared as a country for any type of adverse weather or issues.

Beasty wrote: »
    Fingalcoco 8am update:

EMERGENCY WATER UPDATE - 8am Thursday 14th January

Areas that will continue to be affected include, but are not confined to; Lanesborough, Balrothery, Garristown, Naul and surrounds, Skerries and surrounds, high areas in Howth.

Water actually returned to Lanesborough this morning (7:30am). Not sure if it's still running, but at least the tank was filling up again. We could fill a few pots, flush the toilets, etc, this morning.

• Advertisement

The Beastess informs me that it's off in Milverton now. Milverton school is closed because it has no water - this seems to be getting worse, with lower areas becoming affected (unless they have deliberately switched it off during the day to conserve stocks)

A bit ahead of themselves, but here is the fingalcoco 11am update:

"Water levels in reservoirs in Fingal are improving but many areas are still without water.
    Water supply may not return to areas listed above for a number of days. Updates will be provided as soon as they are available.
    We are diverting water supply to areas without water to help local reservoirs recover. It will take longer for water supply to come back in areas on higher ground.
    We appreciate customers continuing patience while they are without water and would like to assure all customers that the Council is using all available resources to restore full normal water supply to Fingal.
    Fingal County Council is providing water tankers and open standpipes in worst affected areas today. Tankers are filling at the moment and should be on site by late morning.
    Emergency Supply Locations for today are as follows:
    Lanesborough - 2 Tankers. 1 alternating between Lanesborough & Meakstown
    Ring Commons, Naul - Tanker
    Strand St., Skerries - Tanker
    Naul Village - Tanker
    Man-O-War - Tanker
    Garristown - Standpipe
    Balrothery - Standpipe"

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Cheers Beasty.

Our water is off too. In the year 2010 where were supposed to have flying cars and an expansive human space network across the solar system, and we can't even get water supplies right.

*MEGA SIGH*

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭crótach

Anyone know if there's an actual chance we'll get water back soon? The message on fingalcoco says these areas could be out of water for days. DAYS?!

It's been raining for days, and snow's made out of water and that's been melting for days, how hard can it be?

I'm tempted to start putting seawater into our storage tank.

Edit: Bah, forgot why I was posting in the first place!
    Does anyone know where I could buy a decent container to bring the water down to the house. I'm thinking 20-25L or so. Bringing water in 2L bottles is a pain and I only got a few of them :(

crótach wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I could buy a decent container to bring the water down to the house. I'm thinking 20-25L or so. Bringing water in 2L bottles is a pain and I only got a few of them :(
    Try All Rooms or Skerries Hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Shelga

No water in Artane. I just want a shower! :(

Some good news (for me at least).

From Twitter
    Water will be fed from city supply to Lanesborough 4.30 to 7.30pm tonight & 7 to 9.30am tmrw. Most should have water during those times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Ok so we have no water..
    But is it safe to have my heating on, I have it set to come on at 6pm and goo off at 1230am. Once on this warm up my water tank and heating as there is no cold water at night as its being turned off will it be safe to leave on or do i need to turn the heating off to, As if it warms up my water tank will it not blow..

mick087 wrote: »
    Ok so we have no water..
    But is it safe to have my heating on, I have it set to come on at 6pm and goo off at 1230am. Once on this warm up my water tank and heating as there is no cold water at night as its being turned off will it be safe to leave on or do i need to turn the heating off to, As if it warms up my water tank will it not blow..
    Should be fine to leave the heating on - this was covered much earlier in the thread

3.30 update is a bit more encouraging for some areas:
    EMERGENCY WATER SUPPLY UPDATE 3.30pm Thursday 14th January
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: Despite inaccurate reports developing today Public Water Supply in Fingal is not contaminated and is fit for drinking, cooking, washing and all normal uses.
    The following is an update on progress of ongoing work to restore supply to areas of Fingal that have had no water or a disrupted supply in recent days. All information is based on best available on-the-ground engineering updates from crews on site throughout this week.
    Unexpected local problems with bursts, airlocks or pumps may mean that some areas do not get a water supply back at the time estimated here.
    The council is continuing to work to get full supply back in all areas.
    Garristown Area – Airlocks and possible leaks in the system locally are being found and repaired and we are hopeful water will be back in Garristown this evening.

Balrothery – Water levels increasing in Palmerstown Reservoir. Most parts of Balrothery and surrounding areas should have water late this evening or tomorrow morning. Some lower areas may already be getting water from a temporary feed that has been set up in the area.

Skerries – Water levels increasing in Thomastown Reservoir. Water should return in Skerries early this afternoon.

Lanesborough/Melville. This area gets water from Dublin City where water levels are still critical. The City will provide an emergency temporary supply to this area from 4.30pm to 7.30pm this evening and 7am to 9.30am tomorrow morning.

Ballyboughal (on the Naul side)/ Naul/Hollywood – Water levels are increasing in local reservoirs. These areas should have water supplies restored this evening.
    Swords – Water supply in Swords was restricted by reducing pressure lastnight. Some areas lost supply altogether. Supply should be back in all areas today.
    Howth – Most areas should have water back by now. Reservoir between the village and the summit is refilling today but these areas are still without water.
    Rivermeade – Burst repaired last night at 8pm. Water should be back from late last night.
    St. Margarets/Kileek – Major leaks in the area - Once found and repaired water supply should return. No water at the moment.
    Nearest emergency supply - 2 Tankers at Lanesborough/Meakstown

More information at Fingal Coco website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭crótach

Water's back in Skerries, not at it's normal pressure but enough to fill the tank.

Advertisement