Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Compaq presario - no RGB input to monitor

• 10-01-2010 5:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im having a bit of trouble with my Compaq presario desktop pc and am wondering if anyone could shed a bit of light on it for me!

My monitor keeps displaying No RGB input and then goes into standby mode. I have checked the monitor with another pc with the cable so both of them are working fine which means it seems to be the connection on the cpu.
    One of the screws that holds the cable in place (there are two screws on the cable and it one of the holders on the cpu for these screws) has come out.

Any advise would be much appreciated!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Some Compaq presarios come with two video outputs, one for on-board graphics and another for the graphics card. Have you tried both?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

Some Compaq presarios come with two video outputs, one for on-board graphics and another for the graphics card. Have you tried both?

Would this require a different cable?
    There is another similar connection but the cable i have would not fit it.

Thanks for your reply :)

It is possible that they could be the same or require a different cable. Do you have the model number of your PC? Its usually on the case somewhere.

It is possible that they could be the same or require a different cable. Do you have the model number of your PC? Its usually on the case somewhere.

Ya the model number is SR2009UK.
    I recently reformatted the hard drive, installed XP and drivers and got an external Wifi modem as it doesn't come with an internal one. Everything was working fine for about two weeks and then this happened!

I thought is might be a graphics card failure but it appears you only have integrated graphics( They could have failed to)

When you press the power button what happens?
    Do lights come on on the front of the computer, can you hear hard drives and fans starting?
    Do you ever see anything on the screen?

Sorry if this seems like a lot of questions but its a lot harder when the computer is not in front of you.

• Advertisement

I thought is might be a graphics card failure but it appears you only have integrated graphics( They could have failed to)

When you press the power button what happens?
    Do lights come on on the front of the computer, can you hear hard drives and fans starting?
    Do you ever see anything on the screen?

Sorry if this seems like a lot of questions but its a lot harder when the computer is not in front of you.

Ask away!
    The cpu is working away, green light on in the front and the fan is going also. All that appears on the screen is that there is no RGB input signal and then it goes into standby mode. The cpu remains on.

If it is the integrated graphics card, how would i go about repairing it?

Thanks!

If it is just a failure of the integrated graphics then the simplest way to fix it would be to buy and install one of these. According to compaqs website you should have one pci expressx16 slot free.

If you know anybody who has a pci-express card that you could borrow and see if it works before spending any money that would be even better. I cant say for sure if it is a failure of the integrated graphics, but seeing as you have used a known working monitor I think its your most likely problem

anybody else got any thoughts?

If it is just a failure of the integrated graphics then the simplest way to fix it would be to buy and install one of these. According to compaqs website you should have one pci expressx16 slot free.

If you know anybody who has a pci-express card that you could borrow and see if it works before spending any money that would be even better. I cant say for sure if it is a failure of the integrated graphics, but seeing as you have used a known working monitor I think its your most likely problem

Cheers for this!
    I will give it a try. :)

So had a nose around the computer last night and firstly noticed that I didn't have the pci expressx16 slot free. Having spotted this I then opened up the cpu. A lot of dust! Had a bit of a clean, put all back together and would you believe the screen had signal! Working perfectly now. The only thing i can think that caused this problem in the first place was dust!

Anyway, flyingsnail thanks for your help on this one as i prob would have left it aside for weeks with frustration! Cheers!

No problem, glad you got it sorted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement