Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outside Stopcock Location Help

• 10-01-2010 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

I am due to fly home this evening from Scotland to Limerick. I had a neighbou watching my home for the past five days, turning on heating ect and my main outside pipe has frozen (99% sure), as cold tap downstairs has stopped working but all others and heating are fine. I have been told that pouring hot water on the outside stopcock might help and so I need help in locating it. Any advice on where and what exactly to look for would be gratiously appreciated.
    Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Something similar to this:

stopcockcover1.jpg

Normally outside the garden wall or driveway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Be careful though, pouring water on a stopcock will unfreeze the stopcock if it's warm water and the stopcock is frozen, but then you have a stopcock pit full of water which may freeze overnight causing further harm. Maybe try a warm towel or something similar where you don't fill the pit with water...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Ahoy!

Prenderb wrote: »
    Be careful though, pouring water on a stopcock will unfreeze the stopcock if it's warm water and the stopcock is frozen, but then you have a stopcock pit full of water which may freeze overnight causing further harm. Maybe try a warm towel or something similar where you don't fill the pit with water...?

Just use a sponge to empty the stopcock once the water gets cold. Thats what we're doing but still no luck after a week without running water. This is a f*cking nightmare. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 slambo

Ahoy! wrote: »
    Just use a sponge to empty the stopcock once the water gets cold. Thats what we're doing but still no luck after a week without running water. This is a f*cking nightmare. :mad:

Any luck yet Ahoy? Have the same problem - no running water from mains since Friday, thawed out stopcock Saturday, just checked now and chamber flooded with water. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Ahoy!

slambo wrote: »
    Any luck yet Ahoy? Have the same problem - no running water from mains since Friday, thawed out stopcock Saturday, just checked now and chamber flooded with water. :confused:

Nope,still no water. Even went as far as pouring petrol on the ground and lighting it,heats up the ground pretty fast i tell ya :p but that didnt work either so we've completely given up.

We think our main is probably frozen in the pipe section before the stopcock, because when we try to open and close the stopcock there seems to be no pressure at all,if you know what i mean. I dont know,i might be completely wrong :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement