Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harringtons Dog Food

Options
  • 10-01-2010 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

This was recommended to me. Has anybody used it? It's on sale in Tesco and Asda in 2kg bags.

I looked it up on the net and its getting mixed reviews so was wondering if anyone had used it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭smilerf

Lemlin wrote: »
    This was recommended to me. Has anybody used it? It's on sale in Tesco and Asda in 2kg bags.

I looked it up on the net and its getting mixed reviews so was wondering if anyone had used it.
    never used it with my dog but if asda and tesco sell it u can guarantee its cheap rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

smilerf wrote: »
    never used it with my dog but if asda and tesco sell it u can guarantee its cheap rubbish

Just because supermarkets sell it doesn't mean it's complete crap.
    I've never used it but I don't know the brand off hand so I wouldn't turn around and make such claims.

OP what dog food are you currently using? Is there a reason for wanting to change to this brand? Personally looking at the ingredients it doesn't appear to have a high percentage of pure meat, it's only min 14% of lamb meal, (if you use lamb) the percentage of protein is usually around 20+% for a better quality dog food. Again depends on the dog too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

star-pants wrote: »
    Just because supermarkets sell it doesn't mean it's complete crap.
    I've never used it but I don't know the brand off hand so I wouldn't turn around and make such claims.

OP what dog food are you currently using? Is there a reason for wanting to change to this brand? Personally looking at the ingredients it doesn't appear to have a high percentage of pure meat, it's only min 14% of lamb meal, (if you use lamb) the percentage of protein is usually around 20+% for a better quality dog food. Again depends on the dog too.

I'd like to use Orijen but it's a pain waiting for it to be delivered and trying to get delivery sorted for work because the couriers from Zooplus never seem to know what they are at.

Arden Grange is also very expensive in the shops (€65 a bag) so I've been using Red Mills Supreme Leader but I'm a bit worried as Red Mills tend to make lower quality foods.

I was thinking about trying bestformydog.com but my neighbour recommended Harringtons as he knows a trainer who swore by Burns and is using Harringtons now and my neighbour says his two dogs are doing great on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭supermum1

I don't know the brand but I would agree that the quality would not be very high if it's on sale in tesco. The only reason I say that is beacuse supermarkets are not allowed to sell "suoer premium" foods, they are reserved for vets and pet shops. Have you tried dogfoodanalysis.com or a similar site for a comprhensive breakdown?

I personally use the Orijen and would definitely recommend it, though I use Ecopet.ie instead of zooplus. They could never find my house!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

If you google the brand, there are a few dog forums that have had discussions on it. From what I can see, anybody that has fed it to their dogs has had favourable things to say about it. One thing that someone noticed was that their dog's poo seemed to be very hard (don't know if thats a bad thing or not) on the lamb one.

Apparently its a small family company in Yorkshire, and they have done deals with Tesco and Asda, so not necessarily a bad thing, maybe very good marketing on their behalf. I'd say more people shop at those two shops than at the pet shops.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

I'd like to use Orijen but it's a pain waiting for it to be delivered and trying to get delivery sorted for work because the couriers from Zooplus never seem to know what they are at.

Arden Grange is also very expensive in the shops (€65 a bag)

Have you thought about getting your dog food from Mollys.ie? prices on Orijen and Arden Grange are a fair bit Cheaper than Zooplus. It's Irish and usually orders arrive next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

OP, up until a couple of months ago I too was feeding my dogs Red Mills Leader. I wasn't entirely happy with it aswell.

I checked out a few different feeds and I narrowed it down to Orijen, Arden Grange and Burns.

One of my dogs had a reaction to the high protein in the Orijen so I couldn't use them. I was going to plunge for Arden Grange but there wasn't a reliable supply of it in my local pet store and I don't like ordering it over the internet.

So I went for Burns. Because its a higher quality food I feed my dogs smaller amounts. When I worked out the cost per amount of grams I fed my dogs, Burns worked out cheaper than Red Mills Leader.

And I suspect if Harringtons is the same price as Pedigree Complete, Bakers, etc in Tesco's, they too would work out more expensive per gram compared to Burns.

I can get a 15kg bag of Burns in my local vets for 47 euro. zooplus.co.uk have a special offer of 2 15kg bags for £72.99.

If there isn't a vet nearby, online you can get Burns on petbliss.ie, petconnection.ie and zooplus.

Have you thought about getting your dog food from Mollys.ie? prices on Orijen and Arden Grange are a fair bit Cheaper than Zooplus. It's Irish and usually orders arrive next day.

It's more expensive than Zooplus. Zooplus is 44.895GBP. Mollys is 59.99 euro.

It's more expensive than Zooplus. Zooplus is 44.895GBP. Mollys is 59.99 euro.

Was comparing against the .ie domain's, €66.95 Zoo Plus Vs €59.95 Mollys.ie. It's faster delivery buying from an Irish based company so the dogs don't go without.

Was comparing against the .ie domain's, €66.95 Zoo Plus Vs €59.95 Mollys.ie. It's faster delivery buying from an Irish based company so the dogs don't go without.

Do you have some affiliation to Molly.ie or just trying to support another Irish site?

Zooplus uslaly deliver within 3 to 4 days. That's fairly fast. My problem is they deliver to the wrong place! I'm still not going to pay over the odds to an Irish company though.

• Advertisement

Yup, Just offering alternatives since you said you you were unhappy with the international delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I never found a problem with Red Mills it's not a bad food certainly better than some of the tinned stuff available.

My collie did very well on it only that one of our other dogs has a sensative tum so to save hassle they're all on the same brand which is Burns Potatoe and Pork it's €54.00 ish for a 15kg bag so costs under €10.00 a week to feed a collie and a smaller dog plus a little bit for the pup as well so it feeds 2 and 1/4 dogs you could say lol.

No problem with it mine do much better on the potoatoe flavour than the rice.

Advertisement