Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wexford Half Marathon 2010 Amend & Roadshow

• 10-01-2010 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭

Quick note to tell you that the start time of the Pettitt's SuperValu Wexford Half marathon has changed due to the revision of the Irish Rail timetable.

The new start time for Walkers is 9.15am and runners at 10.15am (once the train passes). So its a mini sleep in...

This info will be up on the website soon - just a heads up for now. It think it will suit more people.

HALF MARATHON ROADSHOWS 2010
    Like last year i will conduct a FREE 1 hour 'Train smarter not harder' seminar (with running half marathons being the main topic) in the gyms of County Wexford. Its an add on for people who have entered or people who maybe thinking of entering but need some advice/ tips. A good one to tell your friends who might need some coaxing perhaps

I will post the schedule up on the website once confirmed. It will be around the end of January/ start of Feb.

In the mean time keep up the training and/or enjoy the break - this weather can't last forever!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Hey Eoin,
    When do you think you will sell out ?
    or have you increased entrants this year.

Whats the route like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

Hi Sosa,

We have increased the limit this year but not by a mad stretch (we will monitor)
    Entries are coming in steadily so it might be worth staking your claim so you are not dissapointed....

The route has a bit of everything. Hills yes, flat yes. Call it varied - it will keep you honest. Interestingly a lot of ppl had PB's....

Being on a bank hol Sunday you can drown the race in a few pints afterwards. I'm working on a bit of entertainment post race ;)
    Will confirm.
    Roadshow dates coming soon.... (have some confirmed)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭fitness fan

I ran in in this last year and thoroughly enjoyed the experience (except for the heatwave:eek:). Signed up again this year. The roadshow is very good Eoin with lots of helpful tips for the amatuers like me:o
    Looking forwardd to this year already:D

In my opinion runnerboy is just another of a growing number of club runners expressing their disappointment at promoters charging high entry fees to races.

I paid the 48 Euro to do the Wexford one last year. For that I got:-

A promise of training tips every two weeks at http://www.wexfordhalfmarathon.com/training.html (Updated once I think)
    To run the race
    A tee-shirt
    A medal
    Soup and sandwiches (The queue was too long so I bought my own in the bar)
    My completion time.

I get all this at any parish road race I have done and for about 15 quid.

Remind me again what extras I got in Wexford for my 48 Euro.

This quote ABOVE comes from another Thread. It’s more in context here so I moved it. Maybe I should apply for a Moderators job.... I doubt I’d get it – I’d be too biased!! Even though sometimes I feel like a moderator....

Firstly I’d like to point out that I am also a club runner and I take part in both club runs and runs organised outside of clubs. I have taken part in races abroad also and attend many domestic races to see what goes on and run when I’m not injured or training for something daft for Charity (watch this space. I’ve a new one!)

Heavyrunner is from Wexford (not that it makes any difference but it does make it easier for him to take advantage of some of the Extra’s)

So what Extra’s did he get or could he have availed of in 2009.

Let’s take it from the beginning: In advance of the race – let’s focus in on the Roadshow. This is a 1hr+ (depending on questions) Free Seminar that I give - I’m a personal trainer - and have done a fair bit of running/training in my time. It involves a PowerPoint point presentation with examples of how to get the most out of your training for beginners to seasoned runners. In your own time you can cost up how much a one hour session with a personal trainer costs. But had you attended the seminars which were open to anyone to attend and were advertised on the Website for: Gorey x2, New Ross x 1, Enniscorthy x 1 and Wexford Town x 5 and also advertised on the local newspapers – you would have received additionally as freebies: a Gait analysis that normally comes with a charge and if you were from Wexford Town add in the €5 off Massage voucher. Combine these and you have already received you race entry fee back. Plus the information and training plans came in useful too (so I’ve been told...)

Point of information:- the training tips were updated – there were 6 of them posted as promised. They took me a couple of evenings to write so you can be quite sure they were posted.

I can’t speak for every single participant but most were seamlessly directed to a car park spot. Your Dry bag was transported over the bridge to the finish area. There were three days laid onto Register – reducing potential long queues. At registration you got a free pass to a nite club that night in Wexford.

The safety of the race – i could write heaps here. And by that I mean road closures and the ample and noticeable safety equipment. Not to mention the Civil Defence on land and in the water. There are 4 aid stations on the route - it isn’t common to have 4 on a half marathon route. Running up the main street of Wexford town. How cool was that!! More atmosphere and well wishers

Atmosphere at the finish: This is where we tried to differentiate from other races. We laid on seats for the long suffering supporters in the shape of the stand (no one used it because it was such a nice day – c’est la vie) We had a free Kids race when you guys were off running and gave them the same medal for taking part. Afterwards there was entertainment put on for the Kids and families and finishers. We advertised all this and delivered. This was the package we set out in our aim to create a “Premium race that gave people an experience to remember” a quote from all our advertising. The actual run route wasn’t bad either.

When you crossed the line the same Gentleman who does all the commentary on the big Dublin races called your name crossing the line from a DJ box that played music. He gave out spot prizes to runners finishing further down the field – a nice boost if you are not going to be in the main prizes. All these elements whether you have kids/ supporters following you or not created an atmosphere, drew people into watch and made the finishing experience memorable for many. Clearly people liked it because they hung around – the hardest part was trying to move them on so we could clean up!! Incidently that might have caused the Q’s back in the Hotel for food. Everyone hung around and moved en masse.

You could have got a free massage at the finish line as well.

Off the top of my head that’s what you got for your entry fee. I hope this has answered your question Heavyrunner and in doing so I also hope you will stop dishing the race in other posts. Either come out and participate or leave it so...
    Please accept my reply in the spirit it was asked and let’s move on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

eoin ryan wrote: »
    In my opinion runnerboy is just another of a growing number of club runners expressing their disappointment at promoters charging high entry fees to races.

I paid the 48 Euro to do the Wexford one last year. For that I got:-

A promise of training tips every two weeks at http://www.wexfordhalfmarathon.com/training.html (Updated once I think)
    To run the race
    A tee-shirt
    A medal
    Soup and sandwiches (The queue was too long so I bought my own in the bar)
    My completion time.

I get all this at any parish road race I have done and for about 15 quid.

Remind me again what extras I got in Wexford for my 48 Euro.

This quote ABOVE comes from another Thread. It’s more in context here so I moved it. Maybe I should apply for a Moderators job.... I doubt I’d get it – I’d be too biased!! Even though sometimes I feel like a moderator....

Firstly I’d like to point out that I am also a club runner and I take part in both club runs and runs organised outside of clubs. I have taken part in races abroad also and attend many domestic races to see what goes on and run when I’m not injured or training for something daft for Charity (watch this space. I’ve a new one!)

Heavyrunner is from Wexford (not that it makes any difference but it does make it easier for him to take advantage of some of the Extra’s)

So what Extra’s did he get or could he have availed of in 2009.

Let’s take it from the beginning: In advance of the race – let’s focus in on the Roadshow. This is a 1hr+ (depending on questions) Free Seminar that I give - I’m a personal trainer - and have done a fair bit of running/training in my time. It involves a PowerPoint point presentation with examples of how to get the most out of your training for beginners to seasoned runners. In your own time you can cost up how much a one hour session with a personal trainer costs. But had you attended the seminars which were open to anyone to attend and were advertised on the Website for: Gorey x2, New Ross x 1, Enniscorthy x 1 and Wexford Town x 5 and also advertised on the local newspapers – you would have received additionally as freebies: a Gait analysis that normally comes with a charge and if you were from Wexford Town add in the €5 off Massage voucher. Combine these and you have already received you race entry fee back. Plus the information and training plans came in useful too (so I’ve been told...)

Point of information:- the training tips were updated – there were 6 of them posted as promised. They took me a couple of evenings to write so you can be quite sure they were posted.

I can’t speak for every single participant but most were seamlessly directed to a car park spot. Your Dry bag was transported over the bridge to the finish area. There were three days laid onto Register – reducing potential long queues. At registration you got a free pass to a nite club that night in Wexford.

The safety of the race – i could write heaps here. And by that I mean road closures and the ample and noticeable safety equipment. Not to mention the Civil Defence on land and in the water. There are 4 aid stations on the route - it isn’t common to have 4 on a half marathon route. Running up the main street of Wexford town. How cool was that!! More atmosphere and well wishers

Atmosphere at the finish: This is where we tried to differentiate from other races. We laid on seats for the long suffering supporters in the shape of the stand (no one used it because it was such a nice day – c’est la vie) We had a free Kids race when you guys were off running and gave them the same medal for taking part. Afterwards there was entertainment put on for the Kids and families and finishers. We advertised all this and delivered. This was the package we set out in our aim to create a “Premium race that gave people an experience to remember” a quote from all our advertising. The actual run route wasn’t bad either.

When you crossed the line the same Gentleman who does all the commentary on the big Dublin races called your name crossing the line from a DJ box that played music. He gave out spot prizes to runners finishing further down the field – a nice boost if you are not going to be in the main prizes. All these elements whether you have kids/ supporters following you or not created an atmosphere, drew people into watch and made the finishing experience memorable for many. Clearly people liked it because they hung around – the hardest part was trying to move them on so we could clean up!! Incidently that might have caused the Q’s back in the Hotel for food. Everyone hung around and moved en masse.

You could have got a free massage at the finish line as well.

Off the top of my head that’s what you got for your entry fee. I hope this has answered your question Heavyrunner and in doing so I also hope you will stop dishing the race in other posts. Either come out and participate or leave it so...
    Please accept my reply in the spirit it was asked and let’s move on

Personally i wouldnt pay it but i know plenty that done it and will be doing it again so you must have done something right. Nothing wrong with making a few bob. Economics(supply and demand)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭HeavyRunner

OK. I've deleted my comments from the other thread as they were as you say in the wrong post. In hindsight they were a petty reaction to your post and I apologise for that. You have given a good and comprehensive reply which I totally accept.

I'll just make one more comment and leave it at that.

I think the real issue for this and other similar races is that people don't know the races they are entering are commercial ventures. They go to the web-site and see charities mentioned and assume the event is a charity one.

I think a simple solution is that the web-site and publicty should clearly say that the event is a commercial event and X amount or percent is going to charity. Then people are making an informed decesion before they enter the event.

Maybe it is something AAI should take on board. Instead of an AAI permit it would say AAI commercial permit or AAI charity permit approved. Then an organizer has 3 options, no permit or one of the other two.

Hi All,

The Pettitt's SuperValu Wexford Half marathon Roadshows are in the following venues on the following dates in Feb: All start at 7pm
    They are open to public and are FREE

Its a one hour presentation and you will be emailed the notes afterwards. Anyone who attends will get the free Gait analysis from My Sport enniscorthy (like last year)

Tuesday 9th Ashdown Hotel, Gorey
    Wednesday 10th Amber Springs, Gorey
    Thursday 11th Brandon House Hotel, New Ross
    Friday 12th The Waterfront, Enniscorthy

Monday 15th Ferrycarrig Hotel, Wexford
    Tuesday 16th Talbot Hotel, Wexford
    Wednesday 17th Whites Hotel, Wexford

Monday 22nd Whitford House Hotel, Wexford
    Tuesday 23rd Maldron Hotel, Wexford (TBC)

This will go up on the website soon

Phew! :cool:

Reminder of the dates for Roadshows (above) while we're in the thick of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Nialloooo

Hi Eoin,
    Just read your email and wanted to say well do on the added extras this year the BBQ and floor in the stores will be a great night for all, great way to make a weekend of it. I stayed down last year after it with a few mates and made a good time for ourself but very few other runners about so hopfully this will change that.

Well done

Thanks Nialloooo.
    Maybe the motto for the 2010 race is: 'Run Hard, Party Hard....' or 'I hit the wall Clubbing...'

I guess there is no point in keeping ppl in suspense:- here is the email ;)

A few additions/ changes to the Half Marathon in Wexford.

- The race is once again AAI approved.

- The start time has been moved to 9.15am for the walkers and 10.15am for the runners. This is due to Iarnród Eireann changing their timetable. It is slightly later than last year.

- We will have Training Tops instead of T-shirts this year.

- The Free Roadshow's on 'Train Smarter not Harder' are underway and open to anyone (entered or not). Timetable and venues are on a post above.

- The date has changed to Sunday 2nd of May (bank holiday weekend).

- Refreshments will once again be in the Riverbank Hotel after the race. Considering its the bank hol weekend we have tied in with T. Morris Pub on the Quays in Wexford who will have a FREE BBQ starting at 6pm for participants in the Half Marathon.
    At T. Morris you will also get a concession to the Centenary Stores night club to finish the day off. We will designate one for the floors for the Half Marathon folk. Many thanks to them. For anyone not familiar 'The Stores' is the hub in Wexford Town.

- Training Tips and a 12 week training plan are available under the training tab. Small things to make life easier... http://www.wexfordhalfmarathon.com/training.html

- The Free Kids race will happen again when you guys are pounding the pavement plus the entertainment afterwards at the finish area. The DJ/ music, the Announcer and spot prizes...

- All the same bits and bobs as last year.

- Closing date will be 28th April

Best of luck in your running endeavours in 2010. Can't promise the same weather as last year but we have our fingers crossed....
    Hope to see you down for the race and the especially the afters.... Should be a good day/ nite!

• Advertisement

Looks like we are in for a treat for the weekend. I love the BBQ that evening, great meetup idea for people to chat about their experience.
    Can't wait for it :p

I registered the other night and as its 5 weeks before Cork and only an hour away from the house...it ticked all the right boxes for me.

I think its no harm for people on Boards to know this.... It has been debated and we are acting...

The Main point of this correspondence is to inform you that I’m going to reduce the entry fee of the race in light of the current economic downturn. The country has been lashed – it’s everywhere (sorry to be reminding you!) Most have been affected in some way, shape or form (I was made redundant in 2008 and that’s how the Pettitt’s SuperValu Wexford Half Marathon came into existence).

Pettitt’s SuperValu Wexford Half Marathon set out to be a Premium race with some extras to make the 21.195km’s an enjoyable race and experience. Last year was an outstanding success. But a year is a long time in a Recession and a lot has changed. Prices on almost everything have dropped. We are going to follow suit and lead the way in Road Running events by introducing a Recession price reduction. We are going to give current entrants back €5 at registration* and take the price down for remaining entrants to €43 for the first 800 entries.

Some extras like the stage (which no one sat in...) and a few other ‘extras’ will be stripped out and maybe not missed. Core elements will not change - please be assured. For the record the race organisers will be taking a financial hit in this too. We have, however, tagged on in 2010 a Free BBQ in T. Morris. From which you will get a concession to the Stores which will make a great night out of it.

I do hope you will see this as forward thinking and a positive step.

Also Pettitt’s SuperValu Wexford Half marathon is now the Wexford County Half Marathon championships. If you are from Wexford and are a member of a club – pls ensure you have put in your club on the application otherwise you won’t register in the results.

Closing date for entries is 28/04/10

Lastly keep an eye on the website every now and again for any updates/ info. There will be some discounted Hotel rates being posted.

I hope your training is going well and maybe we will see you once again in Wexford.

Fair play to you Eoin that is definitely a move in the right direction ;)

+1...I got your mail yesterday,thanks

The Pettitt's SuperValu Wexford half Mararthon is now the County half Marathon championships so if your from a club in Wexford pls put your club name in when you enter.

The Theme of the May Bank holiday weekend for us is....
    Run Today. Party Tonight in Wexford. ;)
    This blurb is going to be on your race numbers....

er Why..? says you

Morning
    Race Start 10.15am runners 9.15am Walkers
    Noon
    Post Race Refreshments at
    the Riverbank Hotel.
    Evening
    BBQ in T. Morris at 6pm
    Night
    Then get a concession for
    the Stores night club*
    (*Half Marathon entrants only)

Accomodation: If anyone is looking for cheap accomodation i know a place in Wexford Town that has single rooms for €40 and double rooms for €25 per person sharing. (Breakfast is not included) Its a seasonal B&B that isn't officially open yet. 3D Tri stayed in it last year. Its A1
    PM if interested - I'll give you the number

Gud luck to the lads in Wex tri club with the 10km today in Rosslare.
    Not too late to enter if you sitting on your hands in Wex this morn....;)

Le closing date is Wednesday 28th April

In case your out of sorts for what to do for the bank Hol weekend.

We'll run ya - then we'll feed ya.
    They we'll feed ya again.
    Then we'll dance ya...

;)

FYI - we are closing entry tomorrow at 11.59pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Where are the results from last year? Went onto the homepage and not a sausage?

• Advertisement

tunguska wrote: »
    Where are the results from last year? Went onto the homepage and not a sausage?

On Athletics Wexford site

http://www.athleticswexford.com/index.php/results/88-wexford-half-marathon-2009-results-

Hey Eoin,
    I presume i can take a shower in the Riverbank Hotel afterwards,dont remember seeing that anywhere.

We were looking good for showers in the refurbished swimming pool at Ferrybank (above the Riverbank) but the opening has been delayed. :(
    The Riverbank doesn't have a leisure centre so I'm afraid not

http://weather.msn.com/tenday.aspx?&wealocations=wc%3Aeixx0048&q=Wexford%2C+IRL&setunit=F

Showers forecast for Sunday....

Anyone know how to rename the url,rather than that long link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sosa wrote: »
    [U R L ="http://www.Thisismylongurl.com"]ThisTextisShown[/ U R L ]
    (Without the spaces)

Either use the insert link icon and overwrite the highlighted text to get

Nice Link

Or use bit.ly to get

http://bit.ly/dhouOR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Like what Krusty said only explained a bit differently here

If anyone has the results,can they post a link....
    -Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

If anyone has the results,can they post a link....
    -Thanks

Wouldn't expect them for a day or two, that's the kind of timeframe it was last year. Of course I'd love to see them too...

xebec wrote: »
    Wouldn't expect them for a day or two, that's the kind of timeframe it was last year. Of course I'd love to see them too...

Ah grand,will they be on the official site or wexford athletics site ?

Did you run today ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Ah grand,will they be on the official site or wexford athletics site ?

Did you run today ?

Based on last year, they went up on the official website in Excel format. I'm sure Wexford Athletics will have them reasonably soon after they're available as well.

Yep, ran today. PB for me. Saw your log and that your were disappointed. Pity the standard wasn't higher to give you more of an incentive to race. Numbers were down a bit on last year, but then last year there wouldn't have been many to race you either...Looks like you're pretty well set for Cork :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Not a good race today, 1:28:41 (my watch, not official).

Race report is here. It's long, as usual, though not quite as epic as the one from Connemara. :rolleyes:

Very well wrote TFB,i can vouch for every one of those hills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Very well wrote TFB,i can vouch for every one of those hills.

Oh yes, the hills were real, especially the big one. And the wind!

I must have seen your back for the first few miles - until we hit that hill.

Oh yes, the hills were real, especially the big one. And the wind!

I must have seen your back for the first few miles - until we hit that hill.

I was wearing a navy s/s shirt and shorts.
    There was a guy in a blue singlet with a white t-shirt underneath with me briefly,but he dissapeared after a couple of miles

Some photos on Facebook. You will need a Facebook acount to see them

• Advertisement

Thanks Sosa. Strange that they have got mobile numbers in there !.

Results are up on the Wexford Half Marathon website www.wexfordhalfmarathon.com

Congratulations to all who took part! The weather stayed dry but the Northerly breeze had a bit of strength in it.
    Many thanks to all the spectators and people associtated with the event.
    (the results glitch on the Timing website 'above mentioned' have been reset)

Keep an eye on the Wexford Half marathon website as we have some new developments coming down the tracks.... :) for 2011

I have added a web version of the results here

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I noticed on sign up that another runner of the same name was competing, and theyd already registered. Did wonder if thered be a mix up. Turns out we did get muddled up. I got her results text today. A full hour and twenty mins slower than me. Bummer :)

• Advertisement

Ooops! Sorry Oryx :o
    Didn't realise Oryx was such a regular name.... :p
    All jokes aside - its the results page that counts.
    Well done btw

Well done Eoin on a good day out. I enjoyed the experience again this year. The differences between last year and this made no difference to the race experience and anyone I spoke to had the same opinion. Congrats again on a job well done!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭glennhysen

Thanks Eoin for a well organised race and I'm looking forward to next year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I did mention before this was not a flat course, i always struggle when i go down home and go for a run as alot hills there.

I only notice on the sat day that ye went up bishops water hill(to those that dont know the name its the bending road one and you turn left to another climb around 9k mark). Bascially from 9 to 10k is all hill up by my house, but ye got a break going down hill for awhile until you hit the hospital!!

The hill in ferrycarrig is fun when your tired as it goes on and on!

Well done all, saw ye from my parents house gate with a mighty hangover :)

Advertisement