Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No heating upstairs

• 10-01-2010 6:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

The heating is working fine (Oil heating) the water is getting heated and also the downstairs radiators. Since yesterday the upstairs radiators are not working. Ive tried to bleed them and they are fine. The thermostat upstairs is working and the yellow light is on it? Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

Check the pump beside your boiler & make sure it 'whirling' (touch the pipe just past it). If it's gone it might stop your upstairs rads heating...

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

nope its working fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I took the wall panel off where the heating pipes are. Seems its the valve thats operated by thermostat upstairs is not opening the valve to supply the upstairs rads. I can manually open the valve, but once the thermo clicks off or the heating goes off the valve shuts and doesnt re open.

Looks like i need a new valve??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

I'd say the valve is fine, but the actuator head containing the motor has failed. You can replace the head without removing the valve, which avoids the need to drain down the system. The head is usually just held on by two screws. In some cases the drive motor can be replaced without changing the actuator head completely.

Remember the electrical supply to the valve is at 230V so make sure you isolate properly before changing it out. If unsure, get an electrican to replace it for you.

There is usually a lever on the side of the valve head to open it and it should be possible to latch this lever so the valve cannot close. If it cannot be latched open then as a temporary measure you can remove the head from the valve body and open the valve by rotating the exposed spindle by 90 degrees. You will have heat but no temperature control so you may need to turn down the handwheel valves at the effected radiators to avoid overheating the upstairs rooms.

Advertisement