Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Processor not working properly

• 10-01-2010 6:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Having a bit of trouble with getting full speed out of my processor, my system specs are as follows:

Gigabyte GA-MA78G-UD3H, Socket-AM2+/AM3
    AMD 780G+SB700, ATX, DDR2 , Firewire, GbLAN, HDMI

OCZ Platinum DDR2 PC6400 4GB KIT CL5
    w/two 2048MB PC6400 XTC, CL5-5-5-4

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
    3,2Ghz, AM3, 8MB, 125W, Boxed

Running Windows 7 Home Premium, just installed it the other day. When I went to System Information I found the processor was only running at 1.60GHz and I've no idea how to change it. I'm not very good at this sort of thing so if I'm missing anything let me know, please help!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Dave147 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Having a bit of trouble with getting full speed out of my processor, my system specs are as follows:

Gigabyte GA-MA78G-UD3H, Socket-AM2+/AM3
    AMD 780G+SB700, ATX, DDR2 , Firewire, GbLAN, HDMI

OCZ Platinum DDR2 PC6400 4GB KIT CL5
    w/two 2048MB PC6400 XTC, CL5-5-5-4

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
    3,2Ghz, AM3, 8MB, 125W, Boxed

Running Windows 7 Home Premium, just installed it the other day. When I went to System Information I found the processor was only running at 1.60GHz and I've no idea how to change it. I'm not very good at this sort of thing so if I'm missing anything let me know, please help!

Either you've set things badly wrong in the BIOS manually, or it's just the Cool'n'Quiet throttling it down as it should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Spear wrote: »
    Either you've set things badly wrong in the BIOS manually, or it's just the Cool'n'Quiet throttling it down as it should.

That's the thing, I've never touched any settings in the BIOS, all my games are running ridiculously bad, so much so that there's no point in playing them. I don't even know what Cool'n'Quiet is.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

That's the thing, I've never touched any settings in the BIOS, all my games are running ridiculously bad, so much so that there's no point in playing them. I don't even know what Cool'n'Quiet is.

Try CPU-Z or the like to check how the CPU is appearing. Also put the processor under a full load and then check the speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Depending on what version of the 955 you have, it is only supported in versions F2 and F5 Bios revisions or later on that motherboard. It is possible that the bios version you are running does not fully support that processor.

In the start menu click run and type msinfo32
    What version on the bios are you running? It should be about 8th or9th down on the first list you see.

Depending on what version of the 955 you have, it is only supported in versions F2 and F5 Bios revisions or later on that motherboard. It is possible that the bios version you are running does not fully support that processor.

In the start menu click run and type msinfo32
    What version on the bios are you running? It should be about 8th or9th down on the first list you see.

I've tried CPU-Z and I ran CS:S went back to desktop and it still read at 1.6GHz, I then went to get a newer version of the BIOS as mine is F1, after downloading F5 I tried to run the application but I had an error with NTVDM.exe and the program stopped. My brother told me I'd have to install XP to flash the BIOS, but I don't have it and don't particularly want to have to do that either. Anyone else got any other idea's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I have never used it (Never had a gigabyte motherboard) you could try using gigabyte @BIOS update utility.

link

I've tried CPU-Z and I ran CS:S went back to desktop and it still read at 1.6GHz, I then went to get a newer version of the BIOS as mine is F1, after downloading F5 I tried to run the application but I had an error with NTVDM.exe and the program stopped. My brother told me I'd have to install XP to flash the BIOS, but I don't have it and don't particularly want to have to do that either. Anyone else got any other idea's?

You don't need to install XP, that's nonsense. The Gigabyte @BIOS app works in Windows, or you can create a bootable floppy/USB/CD to install it from there. Many BIOS's include an option to install it from most storage media without the need to boot from it.

Just on my way to work so when I get home I'll try that and see how it goes. Thanks for the help and I'll let you know what happens.

Just on my way to work so when I get home I'll try that and see how it goes. Thanks for the help and I'll let you know what happens.

The Qflash utility is available from the BIOS if you press End when the BIOS screen shows.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Do NOT use @BIOS do it from the BIOS menu instead using Qflash. Flashing a board from windows is well known for its flakiness and high failure rates.

Is the speed fixed @ 1.6 or does it jump up and down? If it does then it is just Cool and Quiet at work. The first step would be to disable C 'n' Q in the bios and see if this makes a difference. Although I would expect the freqency at idle to be even less than 1.6 if CnQ was running.

If that is the latest version of the 955 (C3 stepping) then you will need the latest version of the BIOS for that MB (F5), if it is the C2 version the (F2) bios is all you need. It is unlikely that the board came with the latest bios.

If you download speccy it should quickly tell you the bios version under the motherboard tab.

The quickest way to tell the CPU version is that the code for the c2 version is HDZ955FBGIBOX, and for the c3 version is HDZ955FBGMBOX (Or in speccy under the CPU tab the revision will be either RB-C3 or RB-C2).

CPU Support

Interestingly 1.6GHz is the frequency of the lowest supported CPU so I think that the bios version is indeed the problem here, that the bios does not recognise the CPU and is defaulting to the lowest settings as a safeguard.

If you need it the F5 bios can be downloaded here:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_DownloadFile.aspx?FileType=BIOS&FileID=15143

• Advertisement

marco_polo wrote: »
    Do NOT use @BIOS do it from the BIOS menu instead using Qflash. Flashing a board from windows is well known for its flakiness and high failure rates.

Is the speed fixed @ 1.6 or does it jump up and down? If it does then it is just Cool and Quiet at work. The first step would be to disable C 'n' Q in the bios and see if this makes a difference. Although I would expect the freqency at idle to be even less than 1.6 if CnQ was running.

If that is the latest version of the 955 (C3 stepping) then you will need the latest version of the BIOS for that MB (F5), if it is the C2 version the (F2) bios is all you need. It is unlikely that the board came with the latest bios.

If you download speccy it should quickly tell you the bios version under the motherboard tab.

The quickest way to tell the CPU version is that the code for the c2 version is HDZ955FBGIBOX, and for the c3 version is HDZ955FBGMBOX (Or in speccy under the CPU tab the revision will be either RB-C3 or RB-C2).

CPU Support

Interestingly 1.6GHz is the frequency of the lowest supported CPU so I think that the bios version is indeed the problem here, that the bios does not recognise the CPU and is defaulting to the lowest settings as a safeguard.

If you need it the F5 bios can be downloaded here:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_DownloadFile.aspx?FileType=BIOS&FileID=15143

The speed stays at 1.6GHz, never even heard of Cool n Quiet, I can't run any of my games, they all run terribly. I've downloaded that file but am unable to run it as NTDVM.exe won't work.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

The speed stays at 1.6GHz, never even heard of Cool n Quiet, I can't run any of my games, they all run terribly. I've downloaded that file but am unable to run it as NTDVM.exe won't work.

Did you run speccy to get the processor and bios versions yet?

The file is just be a self extracting exe that unzips three files so you can just run it on another pc if needs be and then copy the extracted files.

Yeah I ran speccy, Motherboard is version F1 and the Processor is revision RB-C2.

So I don't use @BIOS, instead using Qflash and I need the 3 files that I downloaded from the gigabyte.tw website. I'd like to do this now.

Yeah I ran speccy, Motherboard is version F1 and the Processor is revision RB-C2.

So I don't use @BIOS, instead using Qflash and I need the 3 files that I downloaded from the gigabyte.tw website. I'd like to do this now.

Yeah it seems even that needs the F2 bios at least. Since you have to flash anyway no harm to upgrade to the latest bios so you might as well go with the F5. You only actually need the one file to do the flash the other file is a program like qflash that works from a DOS boot, but you have to go setup a bootable usb which is a pain.

I have extracted the flash file from the exe into a zip file the bios file should be inside and called MA78GUD3.F5. Verify the size is 1,048,576 bytes.

** Just verify that the board is an exact version match to the filename that I am about to post before you start.

You should then place this flash file on a usb stick. When you are at the boot splash screen hit f8 to run QFLASH (Alternatively go into the bios and run it from there). From there just select the option to upgrade the bios and then select the flash file on the USB.

It should only take about a minute but do not do anything while it is in progress.

Once finished, reboot and everything should be sweet.

I have had to flash my Gigabyte board twice in the past 8 months, once for a RAM issue and once for a new CPU and haven't had an issue thus far.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Great stuff, was going to do it tonight but watched a movie with the missus instead, put my dog to sleep yesterday so I've been floating around all day doing nothing much really so hopefully I'll be able to concentrate tomorrow a bit better because at the moment I'm wallowing :(

That's the same file I downloaded for MA78G-UD3H, it's missing the H in the filename but I assume that it's still the correct one.. Thanks very much for your help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

That's the same file I downloaded for MA78G-UD3H, it's missing the H in the filename but I assume that it's still the correct one..

Dont try the file if its missing the "H" as more than likely it will just tell you the file does not match while flashing but either way get the right file first as if you muck up the flash mobo will be useless in most cases.

game4it70 wrote: »
    Dont try the file if its missing the "H" as more than likely it will just tell you the file does not match while flashing but either way get the right file first as if you muck up the flash mobo will be useless in most cases.

Let me check if this was a typo in my post or not :)

EDIT: The exe that I extracted it from is called mb_bios_ga-ma780g-ud3h_f5.exe and the file that is within is called MA78GUD3.F5 so it is all good. Must be a lazy typist ;)

Let me check if this was a typo in my post or not :)

If it was me that typed it i'd deffo check;)

Yeah I noticed it straight away as I had been staring at my motherboards name for ages! Was just about to point out that it was the right link on the website so must've been a case of a lazy typist, I'll get it sorted tomorrow *fingers crossed*

game4it70 wrote: »
    If it was me that typed it i'd deffo check;)

I was right after all, either lazy Gigabyte typist or DOS file name length restrictions more likely :)

• Advertisement

I was right after all, either lazy Gigabyte typist or DOS file name length restrictions more likely :)

Its all good so:)

Good luck with the flash Dave.

Yeah I noticed it straight away as I had been staring at my motherboards name for ages! Was just about to point out that it was the right link on the website so must've been a case of a lazy typist, I'll get it sorted tomorrow *fingers crossed*

It has Dual Bios so you have an extra layer of protection in case something goes wrong. Still no 100% guarantees when flashing a board so good luck.

(I usually have to leave the room when I do it as I can't watch :))

Just about to flash the BIOS now, I've put the F5 file on the usb key and have nothing else on it. Dunno what to expect so I suppose I'll just have to figure it out as I go along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Just about to flash the BIOS now, I've put the F5 file on the usb key and have nothing else on it. Dunno what to expect so I suppose I'll just have to figure it out as I go along.

If you dont post back in the next five minutes we'll assume its gone t1ts up and send the emergency crews around.

Lol, trying to download the files to make it bootable but rapidshare is having none of it, going to Sherlock Holmes in a bit so mightn't get it done till later :(

Just been reading back over marco_polo's posts and it appears I don't need to make a bootable USB drive, right going to try this now so :)

Had an option of:
    Floppy A
    or HDD 1-0

Can someone confirm if HDD 1-0 could be a USB key or not? I don't really fancy trying it tbh and ****ing up my mobo.

Had an option of:
    Floppy A
    or HDD 1-0

Can someone confirm if HDD 1-0 could be a USB key or not? I don't really fancy trying it tbh and ****ing up my mobo.

HDD 1-0 more than likely. You will only be browsing for the file so if you pick the wrong one all that will happen is that you won't find it.

QFLASH won't do anything unless it is given the path to a flash file (including verifying that it is a valid flash file for that exact motherboard) .

Done! Slowly but surely building up my confidence and knowledge of PC's, would you know I actually built the bloody thing and upgraded numerous parts already and had no idea how to flash the BIOS, processor is now running at 3.2GHz and gonna see how my games run in a sec, hopefully well :)

• Advertisement

Done! Slowly but surely building up my confidence and knowledge of PC's, would you know I actually built the bloody thing and upgraded numerous parts already and had no idea how to flash the BIOS, processor is now running at 3.2GHz and gonna see how my games run in a sec, hopefully well :)

Good stuff, enjoy. :)

Advertisement