Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr.Kimble strikes again!

Options
  • 10-01-2010 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

After my hamster went on the run last year and it took me DAYS to catch him I renamed him Dr. Kimble. I had also built him an Alcatraz cage or so I thought. This morning my son went into the sitting room and shouted "Mom, the hamster cage is open!!". Not believing what I heard I went to see for myself and sure enough the WHOLE roof of one cage (He's got several stuck together) was ajar. The cages are behind the sitting room door in a corner on the floor. But Dr. Kimble was asleep in his nest so panic over BUT next to the nest was a mountain of chips and Roses sweets, luckily all still in their wrappers. Both the chips and the tin of Roses where on the other side of the room on top of a two seater couch. The hamster must've been very busy all night long dragging chips and sweets down off the couch and then across the room, up the side of his cage and into his nest. I counted 25 sweets. I'm just glad he didn't eat any of the chocs!! So I raided his cage and fixed the roof. Little fecker!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

This is class. You got to continue this story even if its made up. It would be a great kids book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

That is so cute!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

You should invest in tiny mini shackles and put them on his hind legs to prevent him from straying far also a bolt lock for the cage door (lets hope Dr Kimble doesn't know how to pick locks)

As for the roses they should be taken of him right away he should not be rewarded for theft suppose you could leave the chips because they cant be reused

Sigh you are gonna have trouble with that hamster

(lock up your liqueur cabinet just in case)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

beware of the black hamster with the mechanical arm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Hehe, hamster chain gang :D. He IS black but minus mechanical arm :D. I have no idea how he managed to lift the roof off the cage. He was dumped on me last year April and has caused nothing but trouble since. Genetically engineered comes to mind!

His name used to be Gabriel as he is long haired and looked like he had wings :p but that image is LONG gone!

p927911.jpg

p927913.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The little Houdini, he's lucky he didn't eat the chocs perhaps he chose the yukky flavoured ones and thought better lol.

With some hammie/gerbil cages I found a big book helps to weigh down the cage top, usually an Attenborough does it or a recipe book..although that might give him ideas for next time and you might find he's made him self some rice krispie buns or summit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

When I was younger my Dad had a shelf in our kitchen where he kept his books for the household bills and the money to pay them. My gerbil escaped one night and got up to this shelf and ate all the bill money. Needless to say he wasn't the most popular member of our family for awhile. He was eventually recaptured after he ate his way through the bottom of the couch and was trapped inside:D

He did it again!!!

He struck again, got out last night, I searched the whole house and where did I find him????

Diagonally across the room from where his cage is, in the corner behind a dog bed AND he must have taken all night to built that nest:

lagoo030.jpg

Sigh....not one bit of hay or bedding led the way to it, he is one tidy and determined little hamster!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

:D
    If only my pets were that tidy, I usually find a trail of socks and gloves leading to the dogs, and hairbands for the cats!
    I ♡ Dr Kimble.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

Let me guess...

Those pipes go to a radiator do they ?

Clever little begger ! Used to have a hamster like him as our classes hamster when I was a nipper.

Now we know what they think about when they're running around in the wheel :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Think hes tryin to tell ye something :D

Thats so cute. Hes a determined little fella isnt he.

fishfoodie wrote: »
    Let me guess...

Those pipes go to a radiator do they ?

Of course they do ;) , he knows his comforts. Nest is still there, I can get myself to destroy it. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭BrigR

Love reading about Dr Kimble! Hamsters are so clever when it comes to opening lids and squeezing out. Years ago, living in a flat I had a hamster sharing with me. When I went on holidays he usually visited the parents for some rest and recreation. The logistics of ferrying a hamster on public transport are something else. So I invested in a really fancy pet carrier from Harrods, which was supposed to be escape proof. It took the hamster about 20 min to figure out where to put the teeth for leverage. At that stage the aged parents were changing trains at a busy station and out pops the hamster. Fortunately he was very tame and easy to handle, and handle they did him! He was climbing all over their hands, having a great time and providing entertainment for everybody around. Whenever thet got him back into the carrier he openend the lid in a flash and started climbing back out again. All they could do was to hold down the lid until they got home. From then on the pet carrier was secured with elastic ties and twine...

Advertisement