Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A warriors training log

• 10-01-2010 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

Well decided to get a new log up and running which will help motivate my training for http://www.warriorsfestival.com/. This takes placed on August 28th so there is plenty of time to get in shape. I ran this race last year and finished in 88 mins but this year I would like to take 10 mins of this time. Its a big ask but I am up for it. There will be plenty of races along the way including IMRA/BHAA and some races with Boards AC XC and road.

Week 1

Day|Details|Km|Time|Notes
    Mon|Long Run|16.1|1:31:03|
    Tue|Recovery Run|6.5|41:26|
    Wed|Easy Run with 10 mins @ HM pace (4:52 m/km)|8.4|49:15|Managed 10 mins @ 4:53, probably too fast considering the conditions|
    Thu|Easy Run|8.3|49:44|
    Fri|Rest|0||
    Sat|Missed due to weather|0||
    Sun|Long Run|16.1|1:34:54|Lovely run in the phoenix park. Seen a guy snowboarding with a kite, I kid you not.|

Total: 55.4km

A good week considering the conditions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Week 2

Mon|Easy Run|5.5|0:59:26|Pace was poor as conditions were really dangerous
    Tue||||Skipped as conditions had not improved
    Wed|Easy Run|12.6|1:08:58||
    Thu|||Skipped as calf tightened. Went for some physio.|
    Fri|Rest|0||
    Sat|SDCC BHAA 4 Mile Race|8|32:48|Happy enough to be beating a few more
    Sun|Recovery Run|10|00:59:58||

Total: 37.9km

Not enough miles this week with the calf issue. Going to get the long run in early this week as I will be racing again Saturday.

Race Report #1

The years racing kicked off on Saturday with the BHAA SDCC 4 mile. We had 3 lads out for the team which will get us some points early in 2010.
    Plenty of familiar phases include Robinph,Gerard65,stupid_private and T_runner. Great to meet plodder too.
    I started off with a group that I usually finish around and after the first lap moved ahead of them feeling comfortable. Towards the end of the second lap however the mucky conditions started to tire the legs. One of the group passed me and I hung for as long as I could with him but he dropped me in the last km. Finished 2 in a 3 man sprint to the line. I hind sight if I stuck in the group until the 3rd lap I might have gained a few positions. After the race the usual refreshments were on offer and enough brack to feed 500 runners never mind 200.

Distance: 4 mile
    Time: 32:48
    Position: 129th

Week 3

Mon|Rest|||
    Tue|Long Run|17.6|1:38:35|
    Wed|Easy Run|8|00:47:16||
    Thu|Easy Run with 12.5 mins @ HM Pace [4:48]|10.6|00:59:04|Felt great for this hopefully a sign of things to come.|
    Fri|Easy Run with Strides|6.2|37:10|6*100m
    Sat|Eircom BHAA 5 Mile Race|10.7|52:17|Same position as last year but 90 secs faster.
    Sun|Recovery Run|11.2|01:06:52||

Total: 64.3km

Happy with the mileage this week bang on target and a race done as well. Will try to get to 70km next week.

Race Report #2

Second race of the year with the BHAA Eircom 5 mile XC. A hard weeks training put in so it was going to be interesting to see how the legs reacted. We had 5 lads out for the team so it was never going to be possible for me to score but the points all count towards the 2010 league. Plenty of familiar faces as always. I started off too fast and during the second lap I started to tire a bit. Stuck in with a group which I ended up finishing with.
    Not much to report in terms of individual battles as I just sat in this week and got through it. The conditions were much better under foot which was needed as 5 miles of last weeks stickiness would have been tough.
    I finished in a time of 37:43 which is less than a minute slower than my road PB 36:47 so who knows maybe a PB is on the cards come summer.

Distance: 5 mile
    Time: 37:42 (4:28/4:26/4:34/4:40/4:40/4:47/4:45/4:33/0.48)
    Position: 149th

Week 4

Mon|Rest|||
    Tue|Long Run|19|1:44:58|Pounding the footpaths of the city. Next Long run will see me break 20 for the first time.
    Wed|Recovery Run|8.7|00:52:59|Slow, Tired Legs|
    Thu|Easy Run with 15 mins @ PHMP [4:48]|11.9|1:08:09|Managed 3.1k @ 4:51 into a headwind|
    Fri|Missed a Run |||
    Sat|Easy Run With Strides|16.0|1:33:48|Mud, Mud, Mud; 8 *100M
    Sun|Recovery Run|6.4|00:35:39|Trail Run in the nice surroundings of Slish Wood. Shortened as my ankle felt sore|

Total: 62km

Missed my 70km target due to missing a days running. Taking an easier week this week and race the BHAA xc on Saturday.
    Might re-examine my PHMP. The plan is to run the 25k wicklow way trail race to test my base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

stmochtas wrote: »
    Week 4

Mon|Rest|||
    Tue|Long Run|19|1:44:58|Pounding the footpaths of the city. Next Long run will see me break 20 for the first time.
    Wed|Recovery Run|8.7|00:52:59|Slow, Tired Legs|
    Thu|Easy Run with 15 mins @ PHMP [4:48]|11.9|1:08:09|Managed 3.1k @ 4:51 into a headwind|
    Fri|Missed a Run |||
    Sat|Easy Run With Strides|16.0|1:33:48|Mud, Mud, Mud; 8 *100M
    Sun|Recovery Run|6.4|00:35:39|Trail Run in the nice surroundings of Slish Wood. Shortened as my ankle felt sore|

Total: 62km

Missed my 70km target due to missing a days running. Taking an easier week this week and race the BHAA xc on Saturday.
    Might re-examine my PHMP. The plan is to run the 25k wicklow way trail race to test my base.

Great stuff Stmochtas best of luck with the training. Are you running BHAA sat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Hi Stmochtas,

Good to see a warrior run log so early in the season. It's on my list of must-dos but not this year, maybe 2011. In the meantime, I'll keep an eye on your progress.

Have you an overall plan that you are working to, is it based on a half marathon plan? What sort of mileage (Km) will you build up to and how long will your LSR get to ?

good luck.

• Advertisement

T runner wrote: »
    Great stuff Stmochtas best of luck with the training. Are you running BHAA sat?

Well T_runner, not sure if I will be running on Sat. but I will be up there for definite at registration. I may have some family stuff to rush off too after the race starts.

If all works out I will run. You going? Any sign of a second IT team? ;)

dna_leri wrote: »
    Hi Stmochtas,

Good to see a warrior run log so early in the season. It's on my list of must-dos but not this year, maybe 2011. In the meantime, I'll keep an eye on your progress.

Have you an overall plan that you are working to, is it based on a half marathon plan? What sort of mileage (Km) will you build up to and how long will your LSR get to ?

good luck.

Thanks dna_leri. I am probably a bit early off the mark but I wanted it to be my main focus for this year. My plan is pretty straightforward at the moment and it is to build a good base for the first quarter of the year and complete the Wicklow way trail (25k) at the end of March. A lot of my plan is based on advice from those with experience. I am going to build to 80km per week and get my LSR to 25km, unless advised otherwise. This puts the LSR @ 30% of all distance which seems ok. I plan to add harder quality sessions once the longer nights are here and I am happy with the base and of course stay injury free. Keep watching.

Road PBs as they stand which I also hope to better this year

5k 22:41, 5 mile 36:47, 10k 47:30, 10 Mile 84:42, Warriors 88:xx.

Week 5

Mon|Rest|||
    Tue|Missed|||
    Wed|Easy Run|10.1|01:00:04||
    Thu|Missed|||
    Fri|Missed|||
    Sat|NCF BHAA 5 Mile Race|7.8|37:10|
    Sun|Missed|||

Total: 17.9km

Work and life took over this week which was fine as an easy weeks was planned but maybe not this easy :). Bonus of a XC race on Sat morning though.

Race Report #3

Third race of the year with the BHAA NCF 5 mile XC. A great course which included loads of mud, narrow trails through wooded areas and a drop and rise on the banks of a river. I ran this race last year in a 40:53 so it was going to be interesting to see how far I had come. I started the race by sticking to plodder's heels for as long as possible. I began to loose touch with him after about 3k and decided to run my own race picking of 1 or 2 as I went. By 6k I was in a group of 3 which each of us working at the front. No fallers on the river bank around me but i seen a few mud men at the finish. The 3 of us split out in a line over the last k and I finished in the middle. I finished in a time of 37:10 which is a great improvement on last year and hopefully a sign of things to come.

Distance: 5 mile
    Time: 37:10 (4:43/4:27/4:37/4:54/4:43/4:44/5:01/3:56)
    Position: 128th

Week 7: Feb 15th -> Feb 21st

Mon|Easy Run|10|01:00:50|
    Mon|8 * 100 Strides|1.6||
    Tue|Easy Run|8.1|00:47:03|
    Wed|Rest|||
    Thu|Easy Run|10.2|00:58:36|Felt great
    Fri|Easy Run|11.7|01:11:36|
    Sat|Long Run|20.1|01:56:31|Some of the ground in the park very mucky.
    Sun|Easy Run|||

Total: 61.7

Looking good to break the 70km mark this week and I also broker the 20k mark in a run for the first time. Need to add a quality session next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Hey Stmochtas,

Best of luck. Just after seeing the title for the thead there immediately caught my attention. Warriors is my favourite race have ran it last five years. Fair play your starting early plenty of time left. Did you by any chance run the Calry 10k last July? I seen someone there with a boards ac singlet maybe it was you

Good Luck

• Advertisement

Week 7: Feb 15th -> Feb 21st

Mon|Easy Run|10|01:00:50|
    Mon|8 * 100 Strides|1.6||
    Tue|Easy Run|8.1|00:47:03|
    Wed|Rest|||
    Thu|Easy Run|10.2|00:58:36|Felt great
    Fri|Easy Run|11.7|01:11:36|
    Sat|Long Run|20.1|01:56:31|Some of the ground in the park very mucky.
    Sun|Easy Run|8.3k|Making it 70|

Total: 70

Week 8: Feb 22nd -> Feb 28th

Day|Details|Km|Pace/km|Time|Notes
    Mon|Easy Run|8.4|6:10|00:51:40|
    Mon|8 * 100 Strides|1.6|4:10|00:03:44|Note: 1.6 includes 100m jogs between strides.
    Tue|Easy Run|0|0|0|Missed with the weather HTFU :mad:|
    Wed|Warm up/Cool Down|8.2||||
    Wed|30 min Tempo Run @ PHMP|6.34|4:42|00:30:00|Delighted with this effort, felt great and had more to give :)|
    Thu|Easy Run|||||
    Fri|Easy Run + Strides|||||
    Sat|Long Run with hills|||||
    Sun|Rest|||||

Total: 24.5

Hey Stmochtas,

Best of luck. Just after seeing the title for the thead there immediately caught my attention. Warriors is my favourite race have ran it last five years. Fair play your starting early plenty of time left. Did you by any chance run the Calry 10k last July? I seen someone there with a boards ac singlet maybe it was you

Good Luck

Thanks CR and well spotted that was me. Say hello next time.

Great effort today Stmochtas. Excellent speed but Having a bit more to give sounds perfect. Lots of people including myself have a habit of running these all out hanging on for dear life at the end. Its the right pace when there is control and a little more to give.

Say hello to Queen Maeve at the weekend.

Say hello to Queen Maeve at the weekend.

She misses ya! I have to go now dont I ;)

Mon|8 * 100 Strides|1.6|4:10|00:03:44|Note: 1.6 includes 100m jogs between strides.
    Wed|30 min Tempo Run @ PHMP|6.34|4:42|00:30:00|Delighted with this effort, felt great and had more to give :)|
    Thu|Easy Run|9.8||||
    Fri|Easy Run + Strides|8.2|||Skipped the Strides, no time|
    Sat|Long Run with hills|||||
    Sun|Rest|||||

Total: 42.5

Thu|Easy Run|9.8||||
    Fri|Easy Run + Strides|8.2|||Skipped the Strides, no time|
    Sat|Long Run with hills|17k|||6k on open mountain, felt strong throughout, would have like to add 5k more to this but time was not on my side.|
    Sun|Rest|||||

Total: 59.5

Going to change the format of the log a little to see if it makes things a bit easier the table format doesn't really work for me.

Week: 10
    Date: Mon, 8th March 2010

7km Easy at lunch time
    Distance: 7km
    Time: 00:36:47
    Avg Pace: 5:15 min/km
    Avg HR: Not measured
    On Feet: Mizuno Wave Rider 13

Pace a bit faster than easy but with a bad week behind me last week I want to test the legs a little. This week will determine my participation in the WW trail. Left Achilles has a bit of a buzz so must monitor.

Total this week: 7km

Date: Tues, 9th March 2010

7 x 900m
    Total Distance: 11km (including wu/cd)
    Time: Each interval average around 3:30-3:34
    Avg Pace: Not measured as buddy was timing but pace was held under 4:00min/km

After the 3rd Interval I wanted to give up but still manage 4 more. recovery was 1:45 and the last one was the slowest at 3:37.

Total this week: 18km

Date: Wed, 10th March 2010

BHAA / NCF 5k Challenge
    Total Distance: 10km (including wu/cd)
    Time: 26:45 (Race)
    Avg Pace: 4:51 min/km as the course seemed to measure 5.5km

I was not planning to run this race tonight at all after yesterdays intervals, but after a 3k run with emerald007 from the train station to the rugby club, I felt I could be convinced to run. Robinph among others finally convinced me to the line up. The race started grand but after 3k the legs were starting to ache and I was going backwards from that point. I was passed by a few of my usual foes but this has just given me the encouragement to get to the line in Maynooth on Mar 20th and reclaim some scalps. The course itself is not a quick one as there are a lot of twists and turns to navigate. Weather was cold but great to run in. Ran in running shoes as opposed to spikes also.

Chatted with Xebec at the end as well, nice to put another face to a handle/name. :)

Total this week: 28km

• Advertisement

Week: 11
    Date: Thurs, 11th March 2010

Recovery Run
    Total Distance: 8.8km
    Time: 51:20
    Avg Pace: 5:52 min/km

Basically a recovery run out through the Phoenix park and home. Legs were tired after the exertions of Tues/Wed.

Total this week: 36.8km
    Total this month: 46.8km
    Total this year: 438.3km

Date: Fri, 12th March 2010

Rest
    Total Distance: n/a
    Time: n/a
    Avg Pace: n/a
    Avg HR: n/a
    On Feet: n/a

Bliss! :)

Total this week: 36.8km
    Total this month: 46.8km
    Total this year: 438.3km

Date: Sat, 13th March 2010

Long Run
    Total Distance: 21.25km
    Time: 02:02:45
    Avg Pace: 5:47 min/km
    On Feet: Mizuno Wave Rider 12 [313km]

This run was to be long and hilly and I think I achieved that. I know that the hills I will face in 2 weeks will be tougher but this run gave me the confidence for the trail race. I have included a profile but essentially nearly 500M of climbing and descending on this route. The plan is one last XC next saturday
    and then the trail race.
    I am not going to start guessing how long the trail will take me as I have yet to run the route but happy with todays effort.

13032010.jpg

Total this week: 58.05km
    Total this month: 68.05km
    Total this year: 459.55km

Date: Sun, 14th March 2010

Recovery Run
    Total Distance: 6.5km
    Time: Not Measured
    Avg Pace: Pedestrian
    On Feet: Mizuno Wave Rider 12 [319.5km]

Shaking of the aches from yesterday. First run that I got a bit a rain in a long time.

Total this week: 64.55km
    Total this month: 74.55km
    Total this year: 466.05km

Date: Sat, 13th March 2010

Long Run
    Total Distance: 21.25km
    Time: 02:02:45
    Avg Pace: 5:47 min/km
    On Feet: Mizuno Wave Rider 12 [313km]

This run was to be long and hilly and I think I achieved that. I know that the hills I will face in 2 weeks will be tougher but this run gave me the confidence for the trail race. I have included a profile but essentially nearly 500M of climbing and descending on this route. The plan is one last XC next saturday
    and then the trail race.
    I am not going to start guessing how long the trail will take me as I have yet to run the route but happy with todays effort.

13032010.jpg

Total this week: 58.05km
    Total this month: 68.05km
    Total this year: 459.55km

Great run Stmochtas. Have you a plan for the actual race yet? I think a lot of the climbing is at the very start now given the new route.

Great run Stmochtas. Have you a plan for the actual race yet? I think a lot of the climbing is at the very start now given the new route.

Thanks T. Going to start looking at the route and putting a plan together this week. Briefly I hope to get with a group for the first half and run/climb comfortably. In the last 10k I hope to have reserves to push on and make the finish memorable as opposed to to painful. ;) Might chat ya before the big day.

Thanks T. Going to start looking at the route and putting a plan together this week. Briefly I hope to get with a group for the first half and run/climb comfortably. In the last 10k I hope to have reserves to push on and make the finish memorable as opposed to to painful. ;) Might chat ya before the big day.

Yep, will chat to ya later. Looks like climbing comfortably for the first climb up to white hill is a good idea. Plenty of running then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Date: I was passed by a few of my usual foes but this has just given me the encouragement to get to the line in Maynooth on Mar 20th and reclaim some scalps.
    Yep best of luck next weekend, for some reason I though this race was the following week. Going to try and race this one next weekend but not in shape to run well at all, If I do better then the garda race i'll be very happy..

Week: 13
    Date: Mon, 22nd March 2010

Easy Run
    Total Distance: 6.5km
    Avg Pace: Easy
    On Feet: Mizuno Wave Rider 12 [340km]
    Conditions: Windy w/ hailstones :eek:

Last week was a non-event due to sickness. Got out this afternoon to see how things went and felt a lot better. Got pelted by hailstones though which was not pleasant.
    This is the week of the WW trail so the week should be easy enough.

Total this week: 6.5km
    Total this month: 96.65km
    Total this year: 488.65km

Date: Tue, 23rd March 2010

Easy Run
    Total Distance: 10km
    Avg Pace: Easy
    On Feet: Mizuno Wave Rider 12 [350km]
    Conditions: Calm

Total this week: 16.5km
    Total this month: 106.65km
    Total this year: 498.65km

• Advertisement

Date: Sat, 27th March 2010

IMRA Wicklow Way Trail
    Total Distance: 25.5km
    Time: 2:44:41
    Avg Pace: 6:27min/km
    On Feet: Salamon Speed X2 [100km]
    Conditions: Class

Total this week: 32km
    Total this month: 132.15km
    Total this year: 524.15km

Race Report
    This race was to mark the end of 3 months of building my base for the summer and also to see what all the fuss was about. Numerous people had being telling me what a great event the WW trail was and now I concur. I met Emerald007 for my lift in the morning and we arrived a JF's in loads of time. Everything seemed well organised and eventually off we went on the bus to Ballinastoe. I will admit to being a bit nervous as I had not taken on anything like this before, both distance and difficulty.
    The run started nice and steady for me as I let the faster runners disappear in the distance. I watched some of the Ultra's coming in and gave the Dapope a wave as we head for Djouce. A wise runner recanted stories in my ear of taking your time until the last climb and you will be rewarded. We hit the boardwalk and then onto the muddy descent of Djouce. I lost my footing here so got nice and dirty. There was a lot of support from scouts etc. along the way and as I had not been on a lot of this trail before I have now discovered some paths I will definitely revisit. My running companion at this point mentioned we were half way at Crone and this actually perked me up as I felt reasonably good. This was to change as we approached the last climb however as my legs turned to lead. I admit to walking the last climb as it is all that could be done. GoHard was with me for company on this. Once we began the descent back to the road I stuck with another runner as I had been warned that it might be easy to go wrong at this point and he looked like he knew where he was going. I made it home in less than 2:45 (all along I felt I would be between 2:30-2:45). Anyway after a quick pint in JF's it was home to put the feet up and start planning the next phase. Well that is once the led is gone out of my legs. Next year 2:30. :D

Position: 81st
    Time: 2:44:41

Advertisement