Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats your favorite beer at the moment?

• 10-01-2010 7:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

I'd have to say fuller's London pride myself! I had a bit of an ale revelation a couple of months back!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That's a far more sensible question than "best beer ever?".

Had a Floreffe Prima Melior last night. Dark and strong and tasty!!
    It's my favourite beer of the day!!:D

Orval is nearly always my favourite beer.

This week its's svyturys baltas. Tasty beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

enjoying Hoegaarden alot lately!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Bombardier's satanic mills, lovely stuff the best elements of stout and ale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Just tried Blue Moon last night, it's great - lovely flavour and a smooth finish. For everyday I can't beat the reliable Spaten...not that I drink it everyday - you know what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭bennyob

enjoying Hoegaarden alot lately!

Had a few of these a while back on the advice of a friend. I didn't take to them at all. For some reason, they tasted very flowery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I must say I am quite enjoying HopHead at the moment. In its cask, keg or bottle forms it's a great drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I dont get out much any more these days, but I'd have to say my favourite beer is easily the Perlenbacher bottles (6x500ml) that they sell in Lidl. Lovely taste, strong, and cheap. What more can you ask for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Back on the Fransikaner at the moment, helped by the 6 for 5 deal in Redmonds :D

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

I'm going through an American phase. Boston Lager and Sam Adams for something a little different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

I'm loving Delirium Tremens at the moment. Went through a big Chimay Red/White phase before then, but right now I think Barbar takes the biscuit. Wasn't expecting much from it but it's a really great beer, really subtle honey and blackberry tones. Really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

Deuchars IPA - the king of all ales!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭wobzilla

I've been in a strong English Ale mood for the last few weeks. Mostly been drinking Fuller's Golden Pride and Adnams Innovation. Before that I couldn't get enough of Clotworthy Dobbin. It's a gorgeous red ale with a really smokey finish to it, almost like a porter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

Loving Goose Island IPA lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Leffe Blond, cant beat it.

Although wouldnt say no to an aul Chimay red

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

wobzilla wrote: »
    almost like a porter.
    That'd be because it is a porter ;)
    Clotworthy Dobbin 5.0% ABV

A rich ruby porter style beer with lashings of hoppiness and plenty of fruit & toffee on the palate.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

As it's the only beer in my hand at the moment then I must go with Goose Island IPA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

PoleStar wrote: »

Although wouldnt say no to an aul Chimay red
    '1
    the leffe is very nice, was drinking it twice this weekend, very easy drink... back to the sticks now so back to my pint of plain white gypsy..

BeerNut wrote: »
    That'd be because it is a porter ;)

Ahhhh. Beer advocate had it listed as an Irish Red. Just goes to show you should follow your own opinion and taste buds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 wheeliebin

Have a bottle of Franfurter in my hand, Feel a little naughty drinkin on a school night but zero hang overs from it. Stumbled upon it in aldi last weekend, thought id give it a try. Very easy to down too many

• Advertisement

Just something i have noticed in the last couple of months. Guinness is marketing itself as a beer in a lot of advertising. Surely not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

revileandy wrote: »
    Deuchars IPA - the king of all ales!

<3

I'd almost move to Britain purely for the ales. I'd love to see more on tap over here.

wheeliebin wrote: »
    Just something i have noticed in the last couple of months. Guinness is marketing itself as a beer in a lot of advertising. Surely not

Guinness is a beer. Stout, Ale, Lager etc. are all beer. Anything that is brewed from malted grain is a beer. Beer is then divided into 2 major groups - Ale and Lager depending if the yeast floats on top or sinks to the bottom during fermentation. If it floats to the top it's an ale (includes stout, porter, pale ale, Strong ale etc.), If it sinks to the bottom, It's a lager (pilsener, bock, dunkel etc.). Oh and Cider is not a feckin beer btw. I hate when people say it is. Cider is not brewed from grain. End of rant

You learn something new everyday. Thanks for that wobzilla

Nice bottle of malt vinegar. Brewed from malted grain. Open up a bottle of maltesers and have a wee party. Only teasing

You learn something new everyday. Thanks for that wobzilla

No problem :)
    Extra bit of info for you.
    If you ferment cereal grain you get beer, Then you distill it you get whiskey / vodka.
    Ferment grapes you get wine, distill and you get brandy.
    Ferment apples, pear, berries etc. you get cider, distill and you get schnapps.
    distill sugar cane and you get rum (mollases gives you dark rum)

Gin (my favourite spirit) is made completely differently though. They get pure alcohol and infuse it with flavours (mainly juniper).

Oh, and port and sherry are made by adding brandy to wine

Nice bottle of malt vinegar. Brewed from malted grain. Open up a bottle of maltesers and have a wee party. Only teasing

Malt vineger is actually made from fermented grain that is allowed to be oxydised. When ethanol gets oxydised it makes ethanoic acid (the main ingredient in vinegar). Just like wine can be made into wine vinegar and cider into cider vineger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Pabst Blue Ribbon when I was in Boston for Christmas - would like to get a case of it here if anyone knows if/where it can be found... ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Like a lot of the posters, I love English Ale. Hope to visit the great British beer festival this year, all being well.

Such a pity we cannot get good quality, Irish made ale on tap in the majority of pubs, instead of the ice cold, tasteless fizzy stuff we are subjected to. Galway Hooker can be fantastic, but I have got some seriously funky pints of the stuff, don't know if is because of low volume being served etc.

As for beer of the moment, it has to be Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout. A kick ass beer, and the label is fantastic too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Maredsous Blond, despairing at the fact it's going to be tough to get when I move home though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

wobzilla wrote: »
    Guinness is a beer. Stout, Ale, Lager etc. are all beer. Anything that is brewed from malted grain is a beer. Beer is then divided into 2 major groups - Ale and Lager depending if the yeast floats on top or sinks to the bottom during fermentation. If it floats to the top it's an ale (includes stout, porter, pale ale, Strong ale etc.), If it sinks to the bottom, It's a lager (pilsener, bock, dunkel etc.). Oh and Cider is not a feckin beer btw. I hate when people say it is. Cider is not brewed from grain. End of rant

There are specific types of yeast used for top and bottom fermented beers.
    While I often use the very simple idea of two basic categories of beer, many would disagree. Some people get very upset if you say that Kolsch, for instance, is an ale (despite it being fermented with a top fermenting yeast).

There's a pretty good explanation of top and bottom fermenting yeasts here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

PoleStar wrote: »

yeah, love that as well. Very similar to the perlenbacher I mentioned earlier. It's nicer but much more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Perlenbacher is a great beer god bless Lidl.

Peroni is an amazing beer..if you can come across the export strength even better.

Mainstream I'm a Guinness man in a pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

O'Hara's Stout

There are specific types of yeast used for top and bottom fermented beers.
    While I often use the very simple idea of two basic categories of beer, many would disagree. Some people get very upset if you say that Kolsch, for instance, is an ale (despite it being fermented with a top fermenting yeast).

There's a pretty good explanation of top and bottom fermenting yeasts here

Still better than having people say stout isn't beer or bulmers is beer though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

Zywiec (from the bottle, NOT the can!) is definetly the best ive had. Those polish sure know how to brew beer,expensive though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Maredsous Blond, despairing at the fact it's going to be tough to get when I move home though.

can be delivered to your door by an Irish company;)

http://www.realbeers.ie//shop/product_detail.aspx?pdid=216

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

coopers-pale-ale.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Have you tried the vintage coopers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

parttime wrote: »
    Zywiec (from the bottle, NOT the can!) is definetly the best ive had. Those polish sure know how to brew beer,expensive though.

Agreed. Love the stuff. Tesco have it for €1.69/500ml bottle at the moment. Good price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭loopyloulilly

yum for the hoegaarden and the glass!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

Crown Lager.

Very nice smooth tasting lager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

I'm off the drink for January :eek: but doing well at the moment.

I love Leffe though, amazing stuff. Living in Cardiff now and its so hard to get a nice pub that has beers seen in places such as the Porterhouse, Bull & Castle etc... really saddens me :(.

I've found that the local CAMRA awards are a good way of identfying UK pubs with a decent selection of non-UK beers. Cardiff CAMRA's is here, and another site mentions that Y Mochyn Du serves Hoegaarden, meaning there's a possibility it has stablemate Leffe too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

Porterhouse Hophead for me - maybe not up there with the best of the US, but I'm glad to see someone here is trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Hophead is second place to Tradewinds for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

God I hate being a total technophobe, I just can't manage the image function so apologies for now you see it now you don't. As I was saying, I stick with Guinness from the onset of winter (cold weather rather than season) and stay with it until the end of the Heineken Cup when I switch over to Heino. Boring but that's me! I also collect breweriana for my sins and recently came across this Guinness product, long forgotten, at the back of a wardrobe. Can't claim to have ever tried it and these bottles are well past their sell-by date but I have them on eBay at the moment for anybody that likes to live dangerously. Anybody ever try it? :D

breo+beer+001.JPG

Anybody ever try it?
    Yeah, there have been a fair few threads on it if you do a search. It wasn't great -- a bit soapy. But well ahead of its time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Anybody ever try it?

On draft when it was out years ago, a good example on how Digeo/Guinness mess up on special releases

an shot at a Belgian wit, but had a weird after taste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Yesterday popped into Tesco to get a deal on a couple Blackbush for €22.36 a bottle ... bargain.

I also ended up buying some Erdinger & Weihenstephaner weissbier :)

Last night had a Weihenstephaner weisbier against the Erdinger

Must say that the Weihenstephaner was a winner for me and possibly my favourite beer of the moment ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement