Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Old Fart Needs Help

Options
  • 10-01-2010 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

So I am dog sitting my ma's King Charles for the next week while she is away. We're having a serious problem though. He's 12 and pretty fragile at this stage and he is finding it completely impossible to walk around our apartment with the wooden floors. All the floors are wooden so there is no room for him to find some comfort in. It's awful as whenever he gets out of his bed he is falling straight down on his belly :(

He is such a gentle dog and I hate to see him struggling to walk so I need help asap...I've put down my fitness mat in the sitting room which gives him at least one walk way in and out but then once he steps off it, its all fours flat out :(

He had very long paw hair, so this morning I cut it right back to expose his paw pads but it has done no good. I found these online which seem to be perfect....

http://www.seniorpetproducts.com/product/dog-shoes-all-p1405.html?&parent

...but by the time they arrive in the post I'm sure he'll have returned home. I can't seem to find any Irish websites that sell them but I will ring around the pet stores tomorrow if they reopen.

Until then, does anybody have any suggestions or ideas? Also if anybody knows where I can get a pair of those boots in Dublin can you let me know - price not an issue.

Many thanks from me (and from Gismo!!) :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭roxiesmammy

Strange my cav is 13 now and suffers from bad heart grade 5, we have timber floors all over down stairs as it makes life easier and we have no trouble with are girl at all, the only time she cant walk is if her paws are wet. was going to say does your cav need his nails cutting, when my girls does you can here when she walks but it dont really affect her walking though,
    we have the flooring down for just over a yr so its not as if she has always been used to it. hows your guys at walking usually/

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

Well he's fragile and he takes his time but it is certainly a matter of grip as when he steps outside into the complex hall way which has carpet or on to the mat he's away like no tomorrow....it's just the wooden floors he can't manage.

I just can't think of any home remedies that I can do or make to tide him over until I can source some dog boots!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭baubl

Roro4Brit wrote: »
    Well he's fragile and he takes his time but it is certainly a matter of grip as when he steps outside into the complex hall way which has carpet or on to the mat he's away like no tomorrow....it's just the wooden floors he can't manage.

I just can't think of any home remedies that I can do or make to tide him over until I can source some dog boots!

an old blanket or sheets would do the trick,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

What about calling into your local vet and asking him for a roll of vet wrap bandage? It's kind of tacky/sticky so that it sticks to itself so may give him some grip on the floor if you were able to wrap it gently around his paws. Don't wrap it too tight though, or else put cottonwool around his paws first, then the vet wrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

well our westie boy (14) has the same issue. got him this little baby socks (0-1 months) from pennys (you can get them in heatons as well) with the little rubber stuff on the bottom. works for him!:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,654 ✭✭✭Milly33

Uhh i didnt think of baby socks, that is quite a good idea...

we have a leercher/and a bit of something else at home and im sorry but what a muppet on the wooden floors. I think half the time she does it for attention though and out of lazyness. We went and got her nails clipped thinking that would make her better but nope and i was looking at the doggie booties but as her paws are so small none would fit plus they were very pricey so the kiddies socks make a lot of sense...I ponder if she would leave them on though might give her a tryout on them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My dog hates timber floors and we tried showing him, he wouldn't walk on them. I was told that a drop of cola or similar rubbed on paws will give grip.
    Its messy and only temp solution but may give him a chance to get used to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Can someone please post a pic of their dog in baby socks.:)

Advertisement