Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tried and Tested

• 10-01-2010 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭

A few of us were interested in the idea of having a 'tried and tested' here.

A place where people could talk about their experiences of a particular product (clothing, cosmetics, jewellery etc) or brand and share their opinions.

Threads like this are pretty handy, as it gives a review of products so people can get honest opinions from previous users.
    Might help you discover something great you'd missed out on, or save you spending your cash on something others think isn't worth it!

I suppose some rough outlines could be:

Name the product / brand
    List how much it cost / give a close estimate (if applicable)
    Mention where you bought it (online, on the high street etc)
    Give your opinions or thoughts
    Answer questions from other boardsies about the product.

Feel free to add to that, or use whatever method you prefer yourself :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Sounds fun :) My most recent purchase:

What? L'Occitane Foot Cream.
    How much? 16 sterling I think.
    Got it: Bought it in the shop.
    I love this! It's my second tube of it :) It's 15% shea butter, has arnica and lavender oils in it (smells mostly like lavender) and it's to moisturize and relieve tired and irratated feet (or so the tube says).

It's a lovely silky cream, smells great and always perks my feet up. I use it on my hands too as I don't like the smell of their companion cream for the hands :D Really softens skin too. Everyone should have a rub of this at the end of a long day :) It's a bit on the pricy side, but a little goes a long way and it's a really nice treat, and very easy to pop in my handbag as opposed to the lovely long bath my feet might want :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

taram wrote: »
    L'Occitane Foot Cream.

It's 15% shea butter, has arnica and lavender oils in it (smells mostly like lavender) and it's to moisturize and relieve tired and irratated feet (or so the tube says).

Sounds lovely! I've never used a foot cream before.

Does the cream dry in quickly, or is it more something you'd put on your feet in the evening and allow sink in over night?

The ingredients sound good though - shea butter is very moisturising and lavender is very soothing :)

Bet it smells great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I have a small caveat to add to Pikas layout. Only post about thing you actually have firsthand experience off. We are not interested in your friends brothers aunties daughters bestest friends experience. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    I have a small caveat to add to Pikas layout. Only post about thing you actually have firsthand experience off. We are not interested in your friends brothers aunties daughters bestest friends experience. :)

Feel free to edit my original post, if you'd like. Don't mind any of the mods adjusting it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Sounds lovely! I've never used a foot cream before.

Does the cream dry in quickly, or is it more something you'd put on your feet in the evening and allow sink in over night?

The ingredients sound good though - shea butter is very moisturising and lavender is very soothing :)

Bet it smells great!
    Sinks in pretty quickly, leaves your skin a little slippery and shiny for about 20 mins though. I imagine though it'd be one of those that are great to put on and then put cotton socks on overnight with it- super soft toes in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

I'm such a beauty junkie and I have bought and used so many products at this stage, I'm surprised I'm not bankrupt. However, there are about 5 products I keep going back to because they are the best. I think Origins Never a Dull Moment is fantastic. I know Arnotts, Clerys, airport? stock it (not sure where else), priced at 38e. It does exactly what it says on the tin. It's a face polish that has fruit extracts like papaya, mango and apricot to brighten the skin. It's a bit like an exfoliator but not as abrasive and gentle enough to sure everyday. My skin always feels so clean and fresh after using it. I just love it!

I recently bought the newest mascara in the Boujois range in Boots, "1001 lashes"

Got it for about ten euro, as it was an introductory offer, think the normal price is about twelve.

I wouldn't recommend it, to be honest.

I found the thin mascara brush difficult to use. The wand often bent and actually pulled my lashes, which was quite painful and awkward!

Also, I found the wand dispensed too much of the product whenever I used it, so my lashes looked caked in mascara after just one application.

The mascara also took an age to dry and when it did dry, it often stuck my lashes together.

Bourjois is usually a very reputable brand. I've found other products in their line to be of good quality, but this was a flop for me!

Out of ten, I'd probably give it a two: The packaging is quite classic and the black colour of the mascara is indeed black. Everything else was a fail!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 queenbeeuty

I recently purchased Make up forever HD foundation on a trip to New york
    and it is hands down the best foundation I have ever used!

And I am also a beauty junkie and have tried every foundation
    from chanel to rimmel and this beats them all!I just applied a small amount
    to a stipler brush and brushed onto my face
    and it gives a lovely flawless finish!

I purchased it for $40 but i think its around 40 euro in arnotts.
    I know thats expensive for a foundation but it is a big enough bottle
    and you only need to use a small amount every time you apply it!:)

queenbeeuty, just out of interest, is there a good range of shades in that foundation line?

I've often found that with a lot of companies (both high street and designer) that there's only a limited colour range and often, even the "light" shades are too dark for pale skinned people.
    :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I'm gonna have a few of these :D

Name: Prestige Waterproof Eyeliner
    How Much? €7.50 (ish)
    Where? Boots
    Thoughts: One of the best eyeliners I've ever used. Comes in only a few colours though. Stays on my waterline and doesn't evolve into gunk in the corner like others do. Doesn't sting eyes either. Very soft and can be smudged for a smokey look.

Name: NYX Eyeshadows, eyeliners, lipsticks, lipglosses and mascara
    How Much? Anywhere between €1 and €6
    Where? http://www.cherryculture.com/cosmetics/brands/nyx-cosmetics/10
    Thoughts: The best all-round brand EVER. Can't be bought in Ireland except very overpriced from www.flair.ie.

The round lipsticks are the shiznit - long lasting, smell great, great colours that are pigmented, great range of colours.
    The eyeshadows are freakin' awesome. They are very well pigmented, easy to blend, come in a great range, are all-round so easy to use. I've also used eyeliners, mascaras, eye bases, lip pencils and liners, eye glitters, lip glosses... ALL of them have been great!

I really really really love this brand and I have soooo much stuff by them that I ordered from the site above. Delivery takes about 8 days, and is marked as a gift so customs don't get their hands on it. Really cannot say enough about NYX stuff!

Name: Fyrinnae Cosmetics
    How Much? €3 -ish for full size, less than a euro for samples
    Where? http://www.fyrinnae.com
    Thoughts: Great for the mineral eyeshadows. You can get sooo many colours. All of them are so dynamic and pretty. I've ordered from them about 4 times, and have about 20-ish shadows from them. Great customer service and fantastic range of eye shadows. If ever you wanted to know about mineral makeup - this is the place to go!

• Advertisement

Jen, how much was P&P on the stuff you ordered online? I've never bought cosmetics from the internet, but I'm seriously considering it because it's so much cheaper!

I'm +1 for what you said about NYC eyeshadow.

I bought their sparkle eye dust in a lovely gold colour (shade: pink champagne) in Superdrug for 4.95 recently.

I wear it on my eye lids along with darker gold and brown shades to create a really great smokey eye effect.

Normally, I wouldn't buy any eyeshadow other than MAC, but I was really impressed with it :)

Really easy to apply, long lasting, lovely rich colour and cheap!

I'd give it a 10. Pretty much a flawless eyeshadow and well able to compete with designer counterparts.

NYX and NYC are two different brands.

Cherry Culture often run 20% all stuff on their site - usually once a month or so for a week at a time.

Last time I ordered, I got a nail polish, 5 lip glosses, 2 eyeshadow bases, an eyeshadow, tinted lip balm, 2 eyeshadow pencils (these make great bases and come in a great range of colours), face powder, lip liner, eyeliner, 3 lipsticks ($1.75 EACH!) and a blush for $63. Take $13 off for the 20% off offer, and add $15 for shipping it still came back to $65. Bloody excellent value and these are quality cosmetics. Have a look on MakeUpAlley for reviews :cool: I know I'm going on a bit, but I really can't recommend them enough :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 queenbeeuty

queenbeeuty, just out of interest, is there a good range of shades in that foundation line?

I've often found that with a lot of companies (both high street and designer) that there's only a limited colour range and often, even the "light" shades are too dark for pale skinned people.

yeah there was a fairly wide range of colours in the MUFE foundation
    when I was looking in arnotts just before christmas.

I picked out a shade myself but normally they have a make up artist
    on their counter who can help!

Maybe ask for a couple of samples before you purchase so you can try it at home.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

La Roche Posay effaclar H dermo soothing deep cleansing foam for about €16 in chemists - it has the consistency of shaving foam and goes on really nicely, i think i was overcleansing my skin and this makes my skin feel more hydrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Great thread Pikachucheeks
    I recently purchased Make up forever HD
    !
    Im actually goin to try this based on your recommendation as i had heard previously good reports and hadnt a clue where to buy in Dublin cheers

My recent buy
    L'Occitane lip balm stick

Basically..dont buy it. Its in a white tube stick with navy writing and its awful. Really hard and it drags on your lips. Labello or the likes is much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭straricco

Best cleanser ever - Philosophy's purity made simple - bought on ebay originally but current sellers are very expensive. Best to get it on skinstore.com - american site but huge bottle works out about €34 including postage. You use it with water, it takes all makeup from your face including eyemake.

Only really appreciated how brilliant it is after since buying Clarins - gentle foaming cleanser. Gentle my a*s. Stings the hell out of your eyes. 1st time thought I could take off my eyemake up with it, OMG :eek: talk about pain, and even if you don't do your eyes but do your forehead some still gets into your eyes and you know all about it - sting city stay away.

Anyone know of good cleanser? One of the most important things in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 729 ✭✭✭crazy angel

taram wrote: »
    Sounds fun :) My most recent purchase:

What? L'Occitane Foot Cream.
    How much? 16 sterling I think.
    Got it: Bought it in the shop.
    I love this! It's my second tube of it :) It's 15% shea butter, has arnica and lavender oils in it (smells mostly like lavender) and it's to moisturize and relieve tired and irratated feet (or so the tube says).

It's a lovely silky cream, smells great and always perks my feet up. I use it on my hands too as I don't like the smell of their companion cream for the hands :D Really softens skin too. Everyone should have a rub of this at the end of a long day :) It's a bit on the pricy side, but a little goes a long way and it's a really nice treat, and very easy to pop in my handbag as opposed to the lovely long bath my feet might want :)
    wow thanks for the tip, im a HUGE fan of the L'Occitane range and didnt know this existed. Im especially impressed that it contains arnica, a wonderful ingredient for bruising and much needed for feet methinks :) thanks

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

I use the Makeup Forever Mat Velvet + and got it in their palest shade, which i'm delighted to say is very pale. I might try the HD next time and assume that the same range of shades would be available in that too. Would totally recommend the Mat Velvet + by the way, it's the best foundation I've ever found :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Ok here goes not exactly very exciting but my most recent purchase and totally love it.

Name the product / brand: Johnson & Johnson Baby oil Gel
    List how much it cost / give a close estimate (if applicable) €3-4 I think
    Mention where you bought it (online, on the high street etc) Tesco
    Give your opinions or thoughts
    I have really dry skin and always found that baby oil applied straight after a shower really helped to prevent it getting too dry but I hate the mess from the oil. The gel works just as well as the oil except without the mess, I absolutely love it, plus it is nice and cheap :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭winking weber

straricco wrote: »
    Only really appreciated how brilliant it is after since buying Clarins - gentle foaming cleanser. Gentle my a*s. Stings the hell out of your eyes. 1st time thought I could take off my eyemake up with it, OMG :eek: talk about pain, and even if you don't do your eyes but do your forehead some still gets into your eyes and you know all about it - sting city stay away.

Anyone know of good cleanser? One of the most important things in my opinion.

La Roche Posay Toleriane. It is extremely gentle. Comes in cream and foaming wash forms. La Roche Posay in general is brilliant for skincare. I'm totally hooked.

My most recent purchase was Benefits Celebutante set. ITs really handy. I love the eyeshadow, bronzer, benetint and highlighter. Dont use the lipsticks as much. I bought it as I forgot my make up on a trip abroad and also wanted to try out the benefit stuff. Got me out of a tight spot :)

Can anyone recommend a good mascara for sensitive eyes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

jenizzle wrote: »
    I'm gonna have a few of these :D

Name: Prestige Waterproof Eyeliner
    How Much? €7.50 (ish)
    Where? Boots
    Thoughts: One of the best eyeliners I've ever used. Comes in only a few colours though. Stays on my waterline and doesn't evolve into gunk in the corner like others do. Doesn't sting eyes either. Very soft and can be smudged for a smokey look.

Name: NYX Eyeshadows, eyeliners, lipsticks, lipglosses and mascara
    How Much? Anywhere between €1 and €6
    Where? http://www.cherryculture.com/cosmetics/brands/nyx-cosmetics/10
    Thoughts: The best all-round brand EVER. Can't be bought in Ireland except very overpriced from www.flair.ie.

The round lipsticks are the shiznit - long lasting, smell great, great colours that are pigmented, great range of colours.
    The eyeshadows are freakin' awesome. They are very well pigmented, easy to blend, come in a great range, are all-round so easy to use. I've also used eyeliners, mascaras, eye bases, lip pencils and liners, eye glitters, lip glosses... ALL of them have been great!

I really really really love this brand and I have soooo much stuff by them that I ordered from the site above. Delivery takes about 8 days, and is marked as a gift so customs don't get their hands on it. Really cannot say enough about NYX stuff!

Name: Fyrinnae Cosmetics
    How Much? €3 -ish for full size, less than a euro for samples
    Where? http://www.fyrinnae.com
    Thoughts: Great for the mineral eyeshadows. You can get sooo many colours. All of them are so dynamic and pretty. I've ordered from them about 4 times, and have about 20-ish shadows from them. Great customer service and fantastic range of eye shadows. If ever you wanted to know about mineral makeup - this is the place to go!

All of this sounds amazing. Seriously gonna have to get around to buying more make up online.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭mashling

Great thread!

Name of product / brand ~ Corioliss Pro Titanium (Purple Zebra colour)
    How much it cost ~ €140 but I got a buy one get one half price deal with my friend
    Where I bought it ~ Selfridges in London

Myself and my friend were convinced by the salesgirl to get these in Selfridges. I really only wanted to learn how to do GHD curls but the girl really knew how to sell...

Anywho, its great, I had a GHD previously but I much prefer the Corioliss. I have mad curly hair, but it leaves it soft and not poker straight. And its much better than a GHD for curls. I've gotten loads of compliments since I switched, and I'm not scared of rain like I used to be (hair doesn't frizz up).

I just thought I'd post this as I used to be brainwashed by the GHD company before, and the reviews of Corioliss seem to be mixed.

Anyone else have one?

Novella wrote: »
    All of this sounds amazing. Seriously gonna have to get around to buying more make up online.

Online is where it's at. Of course it can take some time to get here which is a pain, but it can be worth it to get stuff that's different from the usual Boots stuff!

ETA - Specktra is a great place to have a look at different brands that may not be available here but online!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭clairemcbear

Hey,

Recently bought new Rimmel stay matte foundation(cucumber) in Dunnes it was around 7.50. I usually use Essence clear and matt(around 3.50),if I'm short of cash or if I have money I use L'oreal True Match.(around 14 euro). I bought the Rimmel because of it's price and I wanted to try something different,mainly for nightwear.

Rimmel
    Price: 7.50-average/good
    Coverage: Bad,greasy.
    Lasts: not long at all,despite saying 12 hour.
    Smell: Not good

Essence
    Price: 3.50-excellent
    Coverage: Good,very matt. Good for dark circles,spots etc..
    Lasts: Good.
    Smell: Good.

L'oreal
    Price: 14.00-average/little expensive
    Coverage: Excellent,so soft,goes on lovely.
    Lasts: Well,not excellent for nights out,better for day.
    Smell: Not bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

I dont really like a lot of shampoos for use of SLS but I bought this one at the weekend (only had a few quid on me) and needed conditioner too.

Product: Alberto Balsam Pomegranet and Grape Anti-oxidant Shampoo and conditioner.
    Price: e1.19 each.
    Shop: Supermarket.
    Thoughts: Unbelievable. 1. It smells divine. 2. The shampoo is clarifying. 3. When I used the conditioner I thought "this is way way too runny, it will never work" (have long hair). I left conditioner on for about 2 mins. Blow dried it and hair was left in unbelievable, healthy looking condition.

I only wash my hair every 2-3 days and when I washed it today, it wasnt even greasy. It hadnt even started to get greasy. Very surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Olay Regenerist Thermal Skin Polish is pretty amazing as a home facial. It costs 7 or 8 euro for a tube and lasts ages as you only use a little bit. It's warm and exfoliates like nothing else I've ever used! There are no scratchy grains in it either. After you wash it off you really do come away looking like you've had some sort of facial peel. It's actually quite transforming and I can't think of any other product I'd say that about.

I wouldn't use it everyday as I think it's just too effective and might leave you more vunerable to sun damage than you might normally be as exfoliatants can. It's excellent for a special occasion or once a week though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I wish id never read this thread, sooo many things i want to buy now :o The effort to stop myself getting the credit card out for the online NYX products yesterday arrrrggghhh!!

And the thermal polish sounds amazing!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I love Origins Skincare. But this is one of their best products I've used so far.

Origins Modern Friction face Scrub.

Costs about €34-40 (not sure, was a while ago)

Brilliant face scrub that you can use once or twice a week. You don't need to use a lot of if so it lasts aaaaaaages! Makes my skin feel great. I've been using it for about 4 years at this stage now.

It's won lots of beauty awards too! So it ain't just me. :)

Another product which is great:

MAC Eyebrows eyebrow pencil.

Cost about €14-18 (I buy it in the Airport so price will vary)

Brilliant eyebrow pencil. Wouldn't use anything else. You twist to use so it's already sharpened. The tip is quite fine so you get nice fine strokes with it. Comes in about 6 colours. I use to use Lingering, but now use Studded which is darker. There's a lovely lighter colour, Fling for fair haired people.

Dior Show Mascara.

Costs about €25?

This mascara is great when you first use it. Gives you great, full lashes, although some people might find the HUGE brush hard to use if they have small lashes.

But it dries out really quickly! (same for YSL mascaras, which are also good. Tis a bummer!) Get about a month and a half, two months tops out of it. :(

chilly wrote: »
    Olay Regenerist Thermal Skin Polish is pretty amazing as a home facial. It costs 7 or 8 euro for a tube and lasts ages as you only use a little bit. It's warm and exfoliates like nothing else I've ever used! There are no scratchy grains in it either. After you wash it off you really do come away looking like you've had some sort of facial peel. It's actually quite transforming and I can't think of any other product I'd say that about.

I wouldn't use it everyday as I think it's just too effective and might leave you more vunerable to sun damage than you might normally be as exfoliatants can. It's excellent for a special occasion or once a week though.

Couldn't agree with you more, I absolutely love it! :)

Product: Botanics Face Super Balm.
    Price: I actually can't remember, about 8 euro. (Available in Boots)
    Review: I loooove this stuff. It's just a little jar but I've had it for a few months and still have loads left. Amazing for dry skin.
    My skin can get dry in cold weather, around my nose etc. so I slap some of this on before bed and it takes care of it. :)
    Can also be used as a lipbalm, on hands/feet, any dry skin really. It's great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Larianne wrote: »

MAC Eyebrows eyebrow pencil.

Cost about €14-18 (I buy it in the Airport so price will vary)

Brilliant eyebrow pencil. Wouldn't use anything else. You twist to use so it's already sharpened. The tip is quite fine so you get nice fine strokes with it. Comes in about 6 colours. I use to use Lingering, but now use Studded which is darker. There's a lovely lighter colour, Fling for fair haired people.
    Agree 100% with the MAC eyebrow pencil, I am very fair and have never really done anything with my eyebrows. When I was in the US I had a make-up consultation at the MAC counter, the lady recommended fling.

Took me a little while to get round to buying it and now I wonder how I ever survived without it. Really easy to use and last ages!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

Name: 17 Va Va Voom Volume Mascara
    Where: Boots
    How much: Cost around €10 (can't remember exactly but it's only £5.99 on the website)
    Thoughts: Really great mascara. Has a really big brush (not one of those tiny plastic ones, which I hate) which actually does give your eyelashes lots of volume/length. It's almost identical to Benefit's Bad Gal mascara but for almost a third of the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Name: Lush - Angels on bare skin cleansing exfoliator
    Where: Lush
    How much: About £6, not sure of euro price.
    Thoughts: About as effective as trying to clean your skin with porridge. Starts off like a putty and you add water to it before applying to your face. Half of it goes down the sink and the bit that does get on your face turns milky with a nice lavender smell. Not creamy enough for cleansing and not grainy enough for exfoliating.

Name: Givenchy Photo' Perfection Foundation in Vanilla
    Where: Selfridges
    How Much: About £25
    Thoughts: Excellent newish foundation with medium coverage. Leaves skin really luminous. Would be great for wedding type make up for photos etc. Lasts all day on combination skin. Used to wear Mac Studio Fix and Estee Double Wear and this beats them both hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Buttons_sb

Great idea for a thread! Really Helpful! :)

Name: Two faced shadow insurance
    Where: Boots & Debenhams
    How Much: Between €15 - €17
    Thoughts: This stuff is amazinggg I cannot apply eye make-up without it anymore! The packaging looks quite small but a little goes a long way and it lasts forever. Cannot recommend it enough, once applied my eyeshadow lasts all day with no creasing and never needs to be touched up at all. Also makes the eyeshadow colour super intense when applicated. Is a total must have imo!

Name: The Colossal Volum' Express Mascara
    Where: Boots and chemists
    How Much: €12
    Thoughts: This is my favourite mascara! I was using Diorshow (which is amazing!) but as someone mentioned above it dries up very quickly and is quite expensive. This is a great alternative! It gives gorgeous volume and really makes my lashes look much thicker. Also makes my lashes really curled and long! Fantastic stuff! My mother and sister have been converted to it aswell haha :)

I'll try think of more good products I have :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Avenuegirl

Product: Bobbi Brown Oil-Free Even Finish Foundation SPF 15
    Where: Brown Thomas - I'm sure you could get it online cheaper!
    Price: About 35E
    Review: A quite light foundation that provides great coverage at the same time. It caters for the pale (practically undead) which is great!

Product: Rose Water
    Where: Any chemist
    Price: About 3E
    Review: This was recommended to me by a beautician who swears by it. I previously used the rather more expensive Clinique Toner which, the beautician told me, was stripping my skin of oils and far too harsh generally. I suppose anything that smells so strongly of alcohol and makes your skin tingle and burn can't be good for you! I love this anyway. I'm not convinced that it works at removing the last traces of make-up that the toner got off but I just make sure to remove my make-up properly now. It has made my skin nice and soft and seems to be fading marks. It's not a miracle product but it's a nice base to put moisturiser on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Name of product / brand ~ Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil conditioner
    How much it cost ~ £18
    Where I bought it ~ Liberty in London (but you can get it from SpaceNK in Belfast, or online)

This is the best conditioner i've ever used. It not only leaves the hair looking really shiny, but in excellent condition. The olive oil is supposed to be really good for your hair.

Name of product / brand ~ No.7 Extreme length Mascara

How much it cost ~ £11.50 (think it's about €15 here)
    Where I bought it ~ Boots

Wow. Fantastic mascara. One coat looks fine but if you put two or even three coats on it makes your lashes look really long and full, like a good quality, natural fake eyelash has been applied. I'm addicted to this mascara :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Name of product: Simple Refreshing Facial Wash Gel
    How much it cost: About 5.49 or something?
    Where I got it: Boots

Review: Very nice product, leaves my skin extremely soft and smooth (I've even had comments on how soft it is). I like to use it after taking off my make up with a wipe first, as this isn't designed to remove make up, just clean your skin. It claims to be gentle on your skin and I think it lives up to this claim, I don't find it overly drying or anything. I think this is a great affordable item for anyone on a restricted budget but who still wants to look after their skin, or even just someone who likes a bargain. :)

Does anyone know of a good product to help get rid of whiteheads? I get them quite a bit and it's getting me down. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

If you have to choose between Penneys or Dunnes, go for Dunnes. Much better!!

Got a pair of stockings in Ann Summers once, ripped when I first put them on. So avoid. (They weren't very nice when I went to return them either.)

lubie76 wrote: »
    Name: Lush - Angels on bare skin cleansing exfoliator
    Where: Lush
    How much: About £6, not sure of euro price.
    Thoughts: About as effective as trying to clean your skin with porridge. Starts off like a putty and you add water to it before applying to your face. Half of it goes down the sink and the bit that does get on your face turns milky with a nice lavender smell. Not creamy enough for cleansing and not grainy enough for exfoliating.

I actually LOVE Angels on Bare Skin. Afaik, it isn't intended to be an exfolitor, it doesn't say that on the packaging of mine anyway. It just says take a small amount of the cleanser, mix with water and use the almond milk to cleanse skin. I have found my skin much improved since I started using it.

It's actually mad how products work so differently for people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

Regarding tights, I choose to invest. 14 euro for 3 pairs of marks and sparks opaque tights. Theyre black as black can be, and NEVER ladder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Regarding tights, I choose to invest. 14 euro for 3 pairs of marks and sparks opaque tights. Theyre black as black can be, and NEVER ladder.

+1 for Marks and Sparks tights! I bought 3 pairs for 11 quid last week and they are so comfy.

Lovely and warm and they sit on my hips comfortably rather than having to pull them all the way up over my tummy to stop them folding over strangely.

St. Ives Apricot Scrubs, both the ones for face and body are wonderful. I have oily skin and find my face needs a good scrubbing to make it feel un-manky and St. Ives is definitely the best I've used. Nice enough to use everyday too without drying out the skin.

I shall have a think about more! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭1071823928

tights - i got a pair of black 120 denier tights in pennys and they are absolutely brilliant!!! only €3 and iv worn them loads and no ladders yet!! they're nearly bullet proof!!!

mascara - lancome hypnose is excellent, costs about the 20 mark but is well worth it.

best ever makeup remover is the lancome bi facil eye makeup remover. it is the greatest thing ever!!! it removes everything!!! its kind of oily but its nice as it doesnt burn your eyes or sting and its not harsh on your skin at all. really reccomend it for sensitive skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Name the product / brand Bourjois 10 hour sleep effect foundation
    List how much it cost / give a close estimate €12ish
    Mention where you bought it Boots
    Give your opinions or thoughts I love this foundation! By far the best one I've tried that's in any way affordable. It's slightly yellow toned (in shade 71) so it suits my skin well. A bottle lasts ages too, I've been using it for around 2 years and I've only just started my third bottle.

I got the new Bourjois mascara too, the 1001 lashes one reviewed on the last page, and I actually found it quite good. I didn't like it as much as the Volume Glamour one, which is my usual mascara, but I do like it. It gives a more natural look I find, on me I'd compare it to Diorshow Iconic only less clumpy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭tanyaog2007

Name the product / brand : sally hansan airbrush foundation make up

List how much it cost / give a close estimate : about 6euro

Mention where you bought it : ebay

Give your opinions or thoughts : i love this its class , its so flawless the bottle will last for ages, dosnt feel like your wearing any make up , and i dont have to wear concealer with it ,the only bad point is that the shades are very dark and the lightest is still to dark for my pale skin.

Name the product / brand : studio Flat Top Powder brush

List how much it cost / give a close estimate :about 4euro

Mention where you bought it : elf uk

Give your opinions or thoughts : love it, its relly smooth , great for applying blusher as well, it dosnt shed, and cheap dupe for the mac 188 -187

Advertisement