Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the coronas...they are whats wrong with ireland

Options
  • 10-01-2010 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

.we sleep all day we drink all night....we are not wasting our time....along with sundried tomato hummous paninis,mocha skinny frappucchinos,ugg boots,fake tans,cantebury tracksuit bottoms and dubes.....what has ireland become...i thought the recession wout belt lumps out of j1,golf driving san diego wannabes like these...but judging by their popularity...it hasnt just yet.

the thrills too....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

were irish not southern californians...get a bit of originiality

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

.we sleep all day we drink all night....we are not wasting our time....along with sundried tomato hummous paninis,mocha skinny frappucchinos,ugg boots,fake tans,cantebury tracksuit bottoms and dubes.....what has ireland become...i thought the recession wout belt lumps out of j1,golf driving san diego wannabes like these...but judging by their popularity...it hasnt just yet.

fcukin ponces with their massive hair :D I hope they choke on their heinos and vsl's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Ha ha this is brilliant. I have been meaning to start one of thse threads. They are a shocking band. Seriously bad.

What I would like to know is who is pushing the band in our faces on a daily basis.

It really is a joke to be honest. Rteguidelover is dead right. there is a connection with the celtic tiger kids and this band.

The sooner a bus crash happens with these boyos in it the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

It's a song FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Sounds like a thread from the "Ranting and Raving" forum. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

One of their ma's is Mary Black, i'd say they how they got the opportunity to pollute the airwaves...grrrrrr indeed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

It's not a rant, more a small boy throwing thier toys out of the cot. There are lots of other irish bands out there at the moment. I'd suggest you stop whining about one you don't like and start a thread about one that you do. But as ever it's easier to criticise than to celebrate. I actually find this begrudery far more common and annoying than (in your words) golf driving san diego wannabes.

Do something positive. Make a difference. Because this is worse than the music you are giving out about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

I agree. Welcome to Boards. :)
    I know it's easier to take a swipe at musicians than it is to write music. I'm sorry to say I won't be releasing any albums in the near future but I think I'll slate them anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 rteguidelover

ah lads this is hardly music. On the issue of writting songs. There are plenty of bands and songwriter who are way better songwriters and don't get the opportunities of these fella due to their connections.

Just because you don't write a song doesnt mean I can't have a go. On the above theory - I don't play pro soccer therefore I can't have a go at a pro player and so on.

Back on to the Corona's - are a terrible band and shoudn't be where they are

I think most will agree

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

They were in San Diego on a J1 in college, they're not pretending to be anything.

I like them. Seen them a few times live and enjoyed the gigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Back on to the Corona's - how did Mary Black let that **** stain on the pants of the Irish nation crawl out of her womb.

Christ that's a bit harsh!would you be happy if some random fella on the internet said that about you?

• Advertisement

Seperate wrote: »
    They were in San Diego on a J1 in college, they're not pretending to be anything.

I like them. Seen them a few times live and enjoyed the gigs.

Terrible taste in music so. Let me guess you also like the blizzards and Lilly Allen??

Christ that's a bit harsh!would you be happy if some random fella on the internet said that about you?

Agreed . taken back.

ah lads this is hardly music. On the issue of writting songs. There are plenty of bands and songwriter who are way better songwriters and don't get the opportunities of these fella due to their connections.
    Just because you don't write a song doesnt mean I can't have a go.
    Back on to the Corona's - are a terrible band and shoudn't be where they are

The thing about music is, "one person's meat is another person's poison". It would be a boring world if we all liked the same music. I think we all get the message that you dont like this band (I am not familiar with them BTW). You have made your point. This thread is not going to change any one's opinion on the band, either way.

Would your time not be better spent seeking out bands you do like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

Terrible taste in music so. Let me guess you also like the blizzards and Lilly Allen??

Nope, never listened to either.

I don't limit myself to liking one type of music. I like bits of everything. I don't just not like stuff because it's played on the radio or someone on the internet says its ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

oh you're cool, i wish i knew as much about music as you obviously do.... :rolleyes:

the level of music snobbery on boards is ridiculous...

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Haven't heard the Corona's. But The Thrills were a good laugh! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

The Coronas are dreadful, there is just no two ways about it.

Everything about them is utterly mediocre. So you drank mexican beer on a J1 in San Diego did you? and thought this middle class cliche was worth writing about? ****. Off!

Heros and Ghosts is an appalling song and the lead singer sounds like he's about to burst in to tears any minute.

Their clothes are **** too.

McTigs wrote: »
    The Coronas are dreadful, there is just no two ways about it.

Everything about them is utterly mediocre. So you drank mexican beer on a J1 in San Diego did you? and thought this middle class cliche was worth writing about? ****. Off!

Heros and Ghosts is an appalling song and the lead singer sounds like he's about to burst in to tears any minute.

Their clothes are **** too.

Well said, if the rest of your compelling arguemnt hasn't convinvced people this surely will.

I saw a guy singing once dressed in a white shiny sequinned suit doing some stupid dace, he was probably ****e too :rolleyes:

OP we are still all waiting eagerly for you to praise some of the bands that you actually like. I'm expecting the most safe list ever by the way.

lordgoat wrote: »
    OP we are still all waiting eagerly for you to praise some of the bands that you actually like. I'm expecting the most safe list ever by the way.

+1.

I would like to hear who you consider to be top notch bands. It would be more interesting than this negative slagging match of a thread.

How about it !! ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

I know there is the whole you like this, i like that argument but every so often there is utter crap that can't but be slagged. Kesha and coronas are an example of this

i try to be open minded but i can't help but hate this and want to slag it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jMOAUmU0wQ

I'm no big fan of pop music but i wouldn't say beyonce, rihanna or Alicia Keys are terrible but i wouldn't really want to listen to them either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭randomname

Thread needs a poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I can think of worse things wrong with Ireland than some band. This thread is an example of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

BRIAN KEANE
    Academy, Dublin

It only took one glance at the front row to figure out who The Coronas’ target audience is. The women-only line of young fans, cameras glued to their hands, were not disappointed by their idols during the second of three sold-out shows in the venue.
    A heavy touring schedule, and the announcement of two Meteor Awards nominations, had the band in tip-top form, although the grossly underused and barely audible four-piece string section that graced the balcony was a perfunctory addition. Yet, for all the recent success, there is a hollowness to their material. The chorus line “we sleep all day and we drink all night” from their hit single San Diego Song was greeted with a joyous abandon that undermines the validity of the band’s growth.

Happily inhabiting the inoffensive world of daytime radio music, the youngsters are already adept at pulling the right shapes and making the right noises to appease their fanbase, but for the uninitiated at this show (countable, perhaps, on the fingers of one hand) it must have been hard to fathom the fuss being made of yet another band pandering to a seemingly inexhaustible audience eager for, well, more of the same.

Frontman Danny O’Reilly, his strong voice inherited, surely, from his mother, Mary Black, boasts an adherence to the verse/chorus form of songwriting, but with a stack of naggingly familiar and homogeneous melodies, the songs developed an unpleasant ability to morph into one-ness.

The ultimate cynic could accuse The Coronas of targeting an easily-pleased market with their MOR pop, but witnessing the earnest banter and mutual love – nay devotion – between band and fans, perhaps it’s fairer to just stand back and let them enjoy their moment in the sun. And anyway, after this set of Dublin shows, more than 2,500 fans will have screamed and swooned their way through the 90-minute set. And that many people can’t be wrong, can they?

Nolanger wrote: »
    BRIAN KEANE
    Academy, Dublin

It only took one glance at the front row to figure out who The Coronas’ target audience is. The women-only line of young fans, cameras glued to their hands, were not disappointed by their idols during the second of three sold-out shows in the venue.
    A heavy touring schedule, and the announcement of two Meteor Awards nominations, had the band in tip-top form, although the grossly underused and barely audible four-piece string section that graced the balcony was a perfunctory addition. Yet, for all the recent success, there is a hollowness to their material. The chorus line “we sleep all day and we drink all night” from their hit single San Diego Song was greeted with a joyous abandon that undermines the validity of the band’s growth.

Happily inhabiting the inoffensive world of daytime radio music, the youngsters are already adept at pulling the right shapes and making the right noises to appease their fanbase, but for the uninitiated at this show (countable, perhaps, on the fingers of one hand) it must have been hard to fathom the fuss being made of yet another band pandering to a seemingly inexhaustible audience eager for, well,more of the same.

Frontman Danny O’Reilly, his strong voice inherited, surely, from his mother, Mary Black, boasts an adherence to the verse/chorus form of songwriting, but with a stack of naggingly familiar and homogeneous melodies, the songs developed an unpleasant ability to morph into one-ness[.

The ultimate cynic could accuse The Coronas of targeting an easily-pleased market with their MOR pop, but witnessing the earnest banter and mutual love – nay devotion – between band and fans, perhaps it’s fairer to just stand back and let them enjoy their moment in the sun. And anyway, after this set of Dublin shows, more than 2,500 fans will have screamed and swooned their way through the 90-minute set. And that many people can’t be wrong, can they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Irish music just so boring at the moment. One of two good acts but not patch on the eighties. The happens, stars of heaven, A house. Quality bands. Even the golden horde had some good tunes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭captainscarlet

Whats wrong with them??? Tho with a name like RTEGUIDELOVER I can tell our musical interests are very different. Did you support Dervish for the 2007 Eurovision??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Everyone ganging up on the OP for expressing a strong opinion. Read, opinion.
    I notice a lot of people posting aren't giving their own opinions on the coronas. That's what the thread is about so maybe start your arguments there.
    I don't like them but I don't hate them. What I really don't like is this rallying of justification that's so prevalent on the net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

yeah the lyrics really put me off. Some of their other stuff isnt bad. But that song not great lyrically.

• Advertisement

Shryke wrote: »
    Everyone ganging up on the OP for expressing a strong opinion. Read, opinion.
    I notice a lot of people posting aren't giving their own opinions on the coronas. That's what the thread is about so maybe start your arguments there.
    I don't like them but I don't hate them. What I really don't like is this rallying of justification that's so prevalent on the net.

The thread wasn't started to give ones opinions on the band. It was a rant. People ranted. You included.

Another boring criticising rant on another band. The OP could have started a thread and went " I really don't like the Coronas" and his message would have been the same.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement