Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the coronas...they are whats wrong with ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 loki87

how can people sit there and give out about the coronas acting when we have the likes of u2 in this country,the biggest over rated bunch of posers in the history of music and a donkey in labour would be a kind thing to say that waste of space bono sounds like,every song sounds the same whine whine whine.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

loki87 wrote: »
    how can people sit there and give out about the coronas acting when we have the likes of u2 in this country,the biggest over rated bunch of posers in the history of music and a donkey in labour would be a kind thing to say that waste of space bono sounds like,every song sounds the same whine whine whine.

You registered just to post this in this thread? Wow, just wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Seperate wrote: »
    They were in San Diego on a J1 in college, they're not pretending to be anything.

Ha ha! That is the Celtic Tiger alright. It doesn't matter what you swap your Irishness for - just so long as you do, and soon :D.
    Irish actually behaving Irish? Don't call us, we'll call you ... loike.

topper75 wrote: »
    Don't call us, we'll call you ... loike.

no lad your ok i dont swing that way but watever floats your boat :rolleyes:

and god lordgoat dont cry anyway haha

and seen coronas at oxygen last year and the crowd loved em and i taught they were good,ever think that they may just not be your taste?????? no????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Yes there was a band called Cosmic rough riders from scotland who also had that American feel to them which was picked up in an album review. Coronas lost a bit of ground with that first single but they do seem to have changed direction a bit from first single.
    To go back to my original point feel that the eighties and seventies was a better time for irish music. Maybe Oh Emperor will step up to the plate this year with a second single while Ham Sandwich have a bit of potential as well. As for the Thrills what has happened to them. Saw them at Oxegen two or three years ago and they looked to have totally lost their way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,135 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The Coronas are shite but I don't begrudge them that because they know it. Years ago before they really got anywhere a friend what chatting to one of them, ended up talking about his band. Basically he told my friend they played music for 18 years old girls.

There's a serious lack of decent bands coming out of this country lately though. Having played for a few years on the Dublin unsigned circuit I can tell you there are plenty of decent musicians/bands out there, but they're not being given a chance as it's the likes of the Coronas/Blizzards that are getting shoved down our throats. You can't even say that they're just not to my taste, if they were any good they'd have made it outside of this country by now, but they haven't. They're stuck playing the same venues over and over again.

If I had to blame somebody I'd blame the labels for sticking to these 'safe' bands that will go down well with the UCD crowd, but ultimately go nowhere. But I guess labels don't have any money to gamble with at the moment so we're stuck with things as they are.

Having played for a few years on the Dublin unsigned circuit I can tell you there are plenty of decent musicians/bands out there, but they're not being given a chance as it's the likes of the Coronas/Blizzards that are getting shoved down our throats.
    But I guess labels don't have any money to gamble with at the moment so we're stuck with things as they are.
    any bands worth looking out for this year? See what you mean about the blizzards. Ray Foley played them to death last year. When djs like one song they just play it almost to the exclusion of everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Scien wrote: »
    Dropped by EMI 2 years ago, presumably due to their mediocrity.
    Yes remember them being in with REM for awhile and think Peter Buck guested on their last album.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,135 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

any bands worth looking out for this year? See what you mean about the blizzards. Ray Foley played them to death last year. When djs like one song they just play it almost to the exclusion of everything else.

Sorry, haven't played any gigs in a year or so, completely out of touch with the music scene now.

As an aside, I saw the Blizzards play in Whelans a year or two before they were signed and they were excellent. Really blew me away. They completely toned things down when a record company got their hands on them though. So I can see why they were signed in the first place, it's after that when things started to go wrong.

• Advertisement

Sorry, haven't played any gigs in a year or so, completely out of touch with the music scene now.

As an aside, I saw the Blizzards play in Whelans a year or two before they were signed and they were excellent. Really blew me away. They completely toned things down when a record company got their hands on them though. So I can see why they were signed in the first place, it's after that when things started to go wrong.
    Yes capturing the live essence of a band very hard. Found the Blades album and speak slowly by the Stars of Heaven to be a bit disappointing. Stars of Heaven were fantastic live while Something Happens was just pure fun.
    I think what bands need to do is show more muscle when it comes to recording. REM were very insistent on production of their records in terms of creative controls particularly in the earlier days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

and seen coronas at oxygen last year and the crowd loved em and i taught they were good,ever think that they may just not be your taste?????? no????

OK loki87. You are right. They are not my taste.

I resent the notion though that pretending you're from a certain part of the world 6000 miles away is all OK, just because you stayed there for a summer. It's pretentious and silly really. I am Irish. The Coronas and the Thrills are Irish. But only one of us, it seems, is capable of accepting this fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Seperate wrote: »
    Nope, never listened to either.

I don't limit myself to liking one type of music. I like bits of everything. I don't just not like stuff because it's played on the radio or someone on the internet says its ****e.

I agree, take the Paul K band for example.....slugging away independantly and all that......great live......ok, I admit, thats actually our band...he he he www.myspace.com/paulkirwanmusic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I like this thread even though I'm not actually familiar with any of the Coronas music.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

I like this thread and I toured with them for over a year :)

I'm always amused by people who go so far out of their way to express hate for something! Christ sake, get over it! Also, making outlandish assumptions about people you dont even know, silly silly stuff. amusing all the same though. must pass the link onto them they'll get a good laugh out of it

iamnothim wrote: »

I'm always amused by people who go so far out of their way to express hate for something! Christ sake, get over it! Also, making outlandish assumptions about people you dont even know, silly silly stuff. amusing all the same though. must pass the link onto them they'll get a good laugh out of it
    Do they really sleep all day and drink at night. Could you ask them that for us :D

My point exactly i have no problem with a well founded criticism but a mindless and pretty boring rant is just annoying.

Nearly missed this one. i am crying at your atrocious use of English in this post though.

But i think i agree with the second part of your post... think...

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

they literally do :)

in all seriousness though, that song, which unforunately has the honour of being their most popular, is excactly what it is, a song written by a group of teenagers on a J1. It's hardly their fault it became as popular as it has with the young folk. I told them not to release it as a single, they'd be nowhere if they paid any attention to me at all! guess it's all my fault :)

another point to note, the lyrics in that one are magic. chorus
    'cause we sleep all day and we drink all night, we are not wasting our time'
    and verse 'single in san diego, six weeks just wasting time'! well? are you wasting it or not? make up your mind! haha

Despite that, i think they're a very good band, it's just a shame that they're represented most of the time by a song which I feel doesnt do them any justice. Some of the songs on the new album are really good, whole different league to the first album I think. Danny has a gift when it comes to writing catchy melodies I think. Tracks like 'Wont Leave You Alone', 'Listen Dear' and 'This Is Not A Test' are all good tunes. Sad thing is, once people have made their mind up about something it's very hard to change them.

topper75 wrote: »
    OK loki87. You are right. They are not my taste.

I resent the notion though that pretending you're from a certain part of the world 6000 miles away is all OK, just because you stayed there for a summer. It's pretentious and silly really. I am Irish. The Coronas and the Thrills are Irish. But only one of us, it seems, is capable of accepting this fact.

i never said they werent pretending topper,i can accept that fact.im not here to fight ha,

and yes lordgoat im not a english teacher so forgive my improper wrightings :P

make peace not war ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

they literally do :)

in all seriousness though, that song, which unforunately has the honour of being their most popular, is excactly what it is, a song written by a group of teenagers on a J1. It's hardly their fault it became as popular as it has with the young folk. I told them not to release it as a single, they'd be nowhere if they paid any attention to me at all! guess it's all my fault :)

another point to note, the lyrics in that one are magic. chorus
    'cause we sleep all day and we drink all night, we are not wasting our time'
    and verse 'single in san diego, six weeks just wasting time'! well? are you wasting it or not? make up your mind! haha

Despite that, i think they're a very good band, it's just a shame that they're represented most of the time by a song which I feel doesnt do them any justice. Some of the songs on the new album are really good, whole different league to the first album I think. Danny has a gift when it comes to writing catchy melodies I think. Tracks like 'Wont Leave You Alone', 'Listen Dear' and 'This Is Not A Test' are all good tunes. Sad thing is, once people have made their mind up about something it's very hard to change them.

In regards The Coronas I love them and not only for their music but also because they are decent guys. I agree the 2nd album is in a different league to the 1st. I can take or leave San Diego but I love most of the 2nd album but must confess thanks to our national radio station 2fm I'm getting tired of Listen Dear. 2fm really know how to play songs to death. I got the impression that Danny is getting a little tired of it too as he rushed through it at The Academy last week.

Now to the other people, what is it with all the negativity here? Ever hear of indvidual taste and room for everyone in this world. There was no need for some of the posts here. So what if you don't like a band or artist. There is plenty I don't like but I'm not going to start slatting them for no good reason on a message board. Oh and just cos I like The Coronas doesn't mean I like Lily Allen cos I don't. I'm not generally into recent music but met these guys and got into their music that way. Other music I do like includes Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen, Leonard Cohen, Bryan Adams, U2, Bob Geldof, & The Rats!, Whitesnake, Simon & Garfunkel, Shania Twain, Michael Jackson, Billy Joel, Lionel Richie, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Beatles, Greenday, Annie Lennox, Def Leppard, Take That, Diana Ross, Madonna, Coldplay, Fleetwood Mac amongst others. (They are undelined cos I copied from facebook as to lazy to type and I can't get it off :) ) I love most music and I'm a firm believer of not slating anyone elses choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Kold wrote: »
    I like this thread even though I'm not actually familiar with any of the Coronas music.

Judging by the other "marks out of ten" thread, it must be the only band in existance that you are not familiar with. :p:D

musicmania wrote: »
    Other music I do like includes Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen, Leonard Cohen, Bryan Adams, U2, Bob Geldof, & The Rats!, Whitesnake, Simon & Garfunkel, Shania Twain, Michael Jackson, Billy Joel, Lionel Richie, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Beatles, Greenday, Annie Lennox, Def Leppard, Take That, Diana Ross, Madonna, Coldplay, Fleetwood Mac amongst others. (They are undelined cos I copied from facebook as to lazy to type and I can't get it off :) ) I love most music and I'm a firm believer of not slating anyone elses choices.
    So your tone deaf in other words. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Rigsby wrote: »
    Judging by the other "marks out of ten" thread, it must be the only band in existance that you are not familiar with. :p:D
    Irish radio pop is not my forté I must admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Kold wrote: »
    Irish radio pop is not my forté I must admit.

There you go folks !! In the other thread, list all radio pop artist's albums as your favourite. He wont have a clue about them, so will have to give you the benefit of the doubt with a ten out of ten rating !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Yes there was a band called Cosmic rough riders from scotland who also had that American feel to them which was picked up in an album review. Coronas lost a bit of ground with that first single but they do seem to have changed direction a bit from first single.
    To go back to my original point feel that the eighties and seventies was a better time for irish music. Maybe Oh Emperor will step up to the plate this year with a second single while Ham Sandwich have a bit of potential as well. As for the Thrills what has happened to them. Saw them at Oxegen two or three years ago and they looked to have totally lost their way.

I was sorely disappointed with their first album. A couple of great songs though. I like what I've heard so far from Humanzi's upcoming album. Shaping up to be a huge improvement on their last effort. I haven't seen them in concert in years though.

I was sorely disappointed with their first album. A couple of great songs though. I like what I've heard so far from Humanzi's upcoming album. Shaping up to be a huge improvement on their last effort. I haven't seen them in concert in years though.
    Ham Sandwiches first album? Heard one or two of their songs. Into the darkness was one of the best from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Ham Sandwiches first album? Heard one or two of their songs. Into the darkness was one of the best from last year.

Yeah it's called Carry the Meek. it's not great apart from 3 or 4 songs. Is their new album out this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Bren Jacob

Great thread, some really funny comments.

Musically The Coronas most definitally arent my thing.

That said, from the very limited interaction Iv had with them they seem like decent guys with a decent group of people working on their behalf which is more than can be said for some of the bands doing the rounds in Ireland at the moment.
    I know "just because they are nice lads" doesnt mean that we should excuse their music (assuming your not a fan of said style) but again Im just stating a fact as I see it.

So for the people who have a real problem with bands like The Coronas and their ilk I think your anger is misplaced.
    The root of the problem (again assuming you have a problem with pop bands) is daytime radio.
    By that I mean commercial radio between 7am and 7pm.
    Commercial radio as the name suggests is driven purely by financial concerns and unfortunately for more leftfield acts this means that they simply wont get a look in on daytime radio.
    So if you want to vent, vent at the people who pick the playlists for daytime radio and the dj's that play said lists.
    Not that that will do any good mind you but hey it will maybe make you feel a wee bit better for a while and hopefully make the daytime jocks feel a tad of remorse for selling their souls.

Come to think of it I doubt if many jocks will feel even a pinch of remorse anyway as they werent real music lovers to begin with..........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

yeah terrible band. almost as bad as hard fi

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement