Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the coronas...they are whats wrong with ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

I must say that I don't mind them as much as the Blizzards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

God we dont want to make martyrs out of the Coronas. Its this sort of attention that could get those facebookers putting up the leavethecoronas alone page. Odds on a number one?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I love how everyone is blamin the band for this "we sleep all day and we drink all night" image
    as if it wasnt already the norm here for the past 20 years :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

iamnothim wrote: »
    I must pass the link onto them they'll get a good laugh out of it

They might have a good giggle at this as well.:D
    BRIAN KEANE
    Academy, Dublin

It only took one glance at the front row to figure out who The Coronas’ target audience is. The women-only line of young fans, cameras glued to their hands, were not disappointed by their idols during the second of three sold-out shows in the venue.
    A heavy touring schedule, and the announcement of two Meteor Awards nominations, had the band in tip-top form, although the grossly underused and barely audible four-piece string section that graced the balcony was a perfunctory addition. Yet, for all the recent success, there is a hollowness to their material. The chorus line “we sleep all day and we drink all night” from their hit single San Diego Song was greeted with a joyous abandon that undermines the validity of the band’s growth.

Happily inhabiting the inoffensive world of daytime radio music, the youngsters are already adept at pulling the right shapes and making the right noises to appease their fanbase, but for the uninitiated at this show (countable, perhaps, on the fingers of one hand) it must have been hard to fathom the fuss being made of yet another band pandering to a seemingly inexhaustible audience eager for, well, more of the same.

Frontman Danny O’Reilly, his strong voice inherited, surely, from his mother, Mary Black, boasts an adherence to the verse/chorus form of songwriting, but with a stack of naggingly familiar and homogeneous melodies, the songs developed an unpleasant ability to morph into one-ness.

The ultimate cynic could accuse The Coronas of targeting an easily-pleased market with their MOR pop, but witnessing the earnest banter and mutual love – nay devotion – between band and fans, perhaps it’s fairer to just stand back and let them enjoy their moment in the sun. And anyway, after this set of Dublin shows, more than 2,500 fans will have screamed and swooned their way through the 90-minute set. And that many people can’t be wrong, can they?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

So your tone deaf in other words. :D

And who do you like? As I said in my last post music is a personal choice so lets hear what you like instead of slating my choices.

• Advertisement

musicmania wrote: »
    And who do you like? As I said in my last post music is a personal choice so lets hear what you like instead of slating my choices.
    Yeah music is a personal choice. But on repeated listening San Diego just grates on the senses.
    Dont be bringing in Shania Twain into the conversation :D

Yeah music is a personal choice. But on repeated listening San Diego just grates on the senses.
    Dont be bringing in Shania Twain into the conversation :D

Most songs can begin grating on the senses if overplayed and our national radio station 2fm are experts on doing that. You still haven't told me who you like?

Most songs can begin grating on the senses if overplayed and our national radio station 2fm are experts on doing that. You still haven't told me who you like?
    REM, the Pixies, Arcade Fire. All the classics. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Dr Gradus

I'd regard the Coronas as a hit or miss group.

Got their first album as a gift when it came out, and although i feel too many of the tunes sound very similiar, there are some great ones in there. Heroes and ghosts for example, a very well written piece in my opinion, builds up nicely in my opinion and lovely lyrics.

That said, I've heard their new album and its not much of an improvement in my opinion, many of the songs sounding samey. But the same could be said for many bands, its down to the individual. They are writing their own music and playing their own instruments and getting it out there and for that they are already streets ahead of some of the more manufactured groups around.

They aren't whats wrong with Ireland, you seem to be judging them on the lyrics of ONE song they have written that happened to be a big hit for them. It would be easy to analyse the lyrics of any song out there and focus on the negative.

Or instead you could try and respect them as musicians, regardless of your own musical taste. I for one will support them for little gems like this,

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

They might have a good giggle at this as well.:D

If they don't bothering reading it on the first page of the thread they have a second chance to see it now.

That last youtube vid annoys me more than the san diego song... Which is a feat in itself.

• Advertisement

lordgoat wrote: »
    If they don't bothering reading it on the first page of the thread they have a second chance to see it now.

That last youtube vid annoys me more than the san diego song... Which is a feat in itself.
    Agreed The whole package is just too well packaged isnt it. latest single okay but overall not made on them at all.

REM, the Pixies, Arcade Fire. All the classics. :D

I was expecting a list of seventies artists with a user name like yours! Good choices though. REM are one of the few acts I really like that I still have to see in concert but all in good time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

if they were slayer id like them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

That song posted about is truely awful and I pity those who like it.

We could go on for days about what music we like and deslike but the Coronas are just another example of terrible pop music badly made and written that is ruining the music industry. Along with the likes of Lady gaga , mrs Cashley Cole , x factor etc, Westlife, etc

To be honest women are to blame for a lot of this. Most of them have a terrible taste and seek to listen to what is fashionable as oppossed to seeking well writen music that shows off the real purpose of the art.

Music that is written without a dollar sign in mind, music without crappy pre recorded drum beats . The list goes on

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

The Coronas are awful. if they are making money and making some people happy then leave them off. personally their music makes me cringe :mad::mad: and i am pissed at the coverage they get when there are far better irish bands out there.

dedon wrote: »

We could go on for days about what music we like and deslike but the Coronas are just another example of terrible pop music badly made and written that is ruining the music industry. Along with the likes of Lady gaga , mrs Cashley Cole , x factor etc, Westlife, etc

To be honest women are to blame for a lot of this. Most of them have a terrible taste and seek to listen to what is fashionable as oppossed to seeking well writen music that shows off the real purpose of the art.

Music that is written without a dollar sign in mind, music without crappy pre recorded drum beats . The list goes on

Mrs. Casley Cole, ha ha I love it. I'm a woman but I'd tend to agree with you as alot of my friends like westlife and such rubbish and they are not teenagers! Not in a million years would I spend my hard earned cash on them! Say what ye like about The Coronas but at least they write their own sings. I'm sick to death of hearing Westlife doing cover after cover after cover. As a rule I detest covers of any kind but they really take it too a whole new level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

dedon wrote: »

The music industry is solely about money

I'm sure your judging Lady Gaga by the 4 singles she's had out
    Look at her acoustic performances

If you don't like certain bands, fair enough

But don't go around stating your OPINIONS as fact, thinkin you know better than everyone else
    As a rule I detest covers of any kind

Why? IMO that's just having a narrow-minded opinion on music
    A cover isnt about plagiarism or taking away from the original, it's about taking a good song in a new, fresh direction

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

unreggd wrote: »

A cover isnt about plagiarism or taking away from the original, it's about taking a good song in a new, fresh direction

Or rehashins a tired dead song and churning it out once more. I like very few, if any, cover versions that have been released as singles.

unreggd wrote: »
    The music industry is solely about money

I'm sure your judging Lady Gaga by the 4 singles she's had out
    Look at her acoustic performances

If you don't like certain bands, fair enough

But don't go around stating your OPINIONS as fact, thinkin you know better than everyone else

Yes but how often does that actually happen. There are a few covers I do like but they are the exception to the rule. When someone just sings the song in the same way it might as well be karaoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

Or rehashins a tired dead song and churning it out once more. I like very few, if any, cover versions that have been released as singles.

There is no way you can't like this. 80's pop at its jumpin around the dance floor best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭BickNarry

The Coronas personify whats wrong with this country. Making music for the Celtic Tiger ''The World Owes Me A Living'' generation,spewing out of universities with their hoodies to prove it. They're about deep as a plate.Music wise dreadful-same old 4/4 four-chord drivel.No sense of identity about them,they could be anyone-self indulgent ,inoffensive, pretentious music. The white boring middle class making music for the white boring middle class everywhere.

And people who are like ''Why spend so much time hating them'' etc....... because i can't find one redeeming feature about them and find their music patronising.None of ye have given any reason why they are good besides ''i enjoy they're music,they're fun,they're nice guys.''and,so what? any ''nice guy'' can write a four chord shallow love song,that doesnt mean they're good.

And it doesnt matter what music i like,or if i play music,that doesnt stop the fact that the coronas offer nothing and do not matter.i thought pop music was ordinary poeple doing extraordinary things.....

Not my personal choice of music,but far better than any band ive seen in a long time-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuCRM6rTdfg

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

BickNarry wrote: »
    And people who are like ''Why spend so much time hating them'' etc....... because i can't find one redeeming feature about them and find their music patronising

That doesnt explain why you would invest time in energy in actively disliking them. Move on, focus your attention on things you like, it's a far healthier outlook.
    BickNarry wrote: »
    None of ye have given any reason why they are good besides ''i enjoy they're music,they're fun,they're nice guys.''and,so what? any ''nice guy'' can write a four chord shallow love song,that doesnt mean they're good.

'Good' is subjective, so, there's no other reason than enjoying their music neccessary. Any band you deem 'good' I'll presume you enjoy their music. Different people look for very varying things from music. The lads enjoy writing and performing their own songs (the majority of which have more than 4 chords but that's irrelevant in this context) and their fans enjoy listening to them, what's the problem there? Also, why does a song have to be complicated and difficult for it to be enjoyed by people and enjoyable to play?

TheBandit wrote: »
    There is no way you can't like this. 80's pop at its jumpin around the dance floor best

I always thought the size of Jimmy Somervilles head to be quite funny. Tis massive!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

Papa Smut wrote: »
    I always thought the size of Jimmy Somervilles head to be quite funny. Tis massive!

I think its hilarious that he sounds more feminine than the female singer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I want the OP to tell us what's right with Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 loki87

Kold wrote: »
    I want the OP to tell us what's right with Ireland.

ohhhh i like it haha. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,665 ✭✭✭dasdog

It's the pseudo white kid pain and aganst I can't stand. The only problem they've faced is when they sh1t themselves and their mother has changed their nappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

dasdog wrote: »
    The only problem they've faced is when they sh1t themselves and their mother has changed their nappy.

Would n't hold that against them. Who wants problems ??? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It's not a rant, more a small boy throwing thier toys out of the cot. There are lots of other irish bands out there at the moment. I'd suggest you stop whining about one you don't like and start a thread about one that you do. But as ever it's easier to criticise than to celebrate. I actually find this begrudery far more common and annoying than (in your words) golf driving san diego wannabes.

Do something positive. Make a difference. Because this is worse than the music you are giving out about.
    I can think of worse things wrong with Ireland than some band. This thread is an example of that.
    Quite the turnaround from you two guys. I have seen both of you, plenty of times, sneering at bands like The Coronas. And how is it necessarily begrudgery, lordgoat?
    I know it's easier to take a swipe at musicians than it is to write music. I'm sorry to say I won't be releasing any albums in the near future but I think I'll slate them anyway.
    Yeah, people who are film reviewers should be film-makers/actors, literary critics should be authors, etc...
    oh you're cool, i wish i knew as much about music as you obviously do.... :rolleyes:

the level of music snobbery on boards is ridiculous...
    Why is it snobbery? By that logic, mere dislike of any musical act is snobbery.
    Rigsby wrote: »
    I would like to hear who you consider to be top notch bands. It would be more interesting than this negative slagging match of a thread.

How about it !! ?
    Why should they post who they like?

Personally I'm indifferent to The Coronas, and the OP's approach wouldn't be mine, but if he thinks they're sh1t, surely he's entitled to express that opinion in the same way people are entitled to express positive opinions?
    What I dislike here is people sneering at other members for their tastes, but the OP didn't do that in the opening post (I'm aware (s)he did subsequently).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement