Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the coronas...they are whats wrong with ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Guilty. I like this song as it reminds me of my J1! Were you never young OP??

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

It is a sad sad day when the coronas are considered a generation defining band.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

I can think of worse things wrong with Ireland than some band. This thread is an example of that.

What about Jedward? though?
    Talentless nobodies that should have a restraining order keeping them at least 45 feet away from music at all times. The fandom that these 2 noise polluters have is a dire symptom of this famous for no reason TV culture.
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 HairlessReborn

Jedward and the Coronas are sh!te, would rather sit on the bog and hear myself sh!t then listen to their 'noise'

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

Charming....... At least The Coronas can sing. I do not 'get' the Jedward hysteria. It is worse than Westlife winning *yawn* yet another Meteor Award.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

It is a sad sad day when the coronas are considered a generation defining band.

They're not. Wipe that tear from your eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Dudess wrote: »
    Quite the turnaround from you two guys. I have seen both of you, plenty of times, sneering at bands like The Coronas.

I'm pretty sure I've only ever mentioned the Coronas once, here. I don't think calling them bland amounts to anything close to the ridiculously over the top reaction that they're what's wrong with Ireland. I don't see that as a turnaround at all.
    What about Jedward? though?

Quite right, they're far, far worse than the Coronas. ;)

I'm pretty sure I've only ever mentioned the Coronas once, here. I don't think calling them bland amounts to anything close to the ridiculously over the top reaction that they're what's wrong with Ireland. I don't see that as a turnaround at all.

Quite right, they're far, far worse than the Coronas. ;)

Do you feel comfortable deciding who should and shouldn't be allowed to make music? I think I've called you on your hypocrisy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 WoodenChin

There are far worse bands out there than The Coronas. They're a young band. Give them time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

If anything, the Coronas and the Blizzards are the best Irish bands to actually come out of the country in the last decade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

Have they got out of the country?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

If anything, the Coronas and the Blizzards are the best Irish bands to actually come out of the country in the last decade.

I couldn't disagree with you more. Musically they are more bland than lettuce. In 10 years time if i remember them it will solely be because of this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

What a crazy crazy comment. I am very afraid for you if you think bland over produced crap like that is the best thing to come out of Ireland.

By the way Irish bands are pretty poor to be honest wiht you but Autamata and Duckworth Lewis Method and two recent gems that do Ireland proud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

C'mon chaps work harder, this thread is still only on page two of google when looking for the Coronas.

I think I've called you on your hypocrisy.

I think you're funny. :)

Seriously, if you can't see the difference between the two musical acts (and I apply that term very loosely with Jedward), then that's a shame. Even though I don't like them, I can respect that the Coronas have made a name for themselves because of their music, they're somewhat talented at what they do and have gained their fans for that reason. Jedward on the other hand are simply famous for being on TV, in the same sense that so many were obsessed with Jade Goody and other such non-celebrities who were thrust into the spotlight, yet have no real talent at all. Jedward didn't build a career and get famous by making music, they appeared on TV butchering a few songs and acting like idiots, and only then did they get a record deal. I don't think they've any business making music because they can't sing, and I'd say that if they had tried to make a career as singers without the reality TV stardom then they would've been laughed out of any gig they played. They're a product of 'reality TV' and have no musical talent, so yes I'm perfectly happy saying they shouldn't be making music.

Real band who made a name for themselves by playing music vs. reality TV novelty act that can't even sing. Yeah, very hypocritical of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

The last decent Irish band were the Power of Dreams (no one under the age of thirty will have heard of them) in my opinion. They have reformed, and there are rumours of a new album. No one will buy it unfortunately and they will all return to their day jobs.

Louis Walsh and his friends on X Factor have ruined the music industry for good. Records are sold on the basis of looks and publicity alone, it doesnt matter whether the tune is any good.

The Coronas are The Frames for the noughties generation. They are popular because they play the college circuit as did The Frames. I must also add that The Thrills weren't nearly as good as they thought they were!

I think jedward are dreadful. I know they are truly talentless chancers. Who are you to say who should be allowed to make music? If there's a demand for tone deaf singers, the demand will be met. It worries me more that there's a demand for such music. But hey, live and let live right? Or does that only apply to people who play guitars?

I just find it funny that you'll get up on your high horse about people slating one act but then make far more extreme comments against another act you don't like. If you're going to suggest an act shouldn't be allowed to make records, you shouldn't be so judgmental of other people expressing a strong dislike of other musicians. That's really my gripe with your comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'm fairly big into my music and have to say I'm indefferent to the Coronas (genuinely not trying to sit on the fence here btw!) I liked their first album, went to see them play for free in UCC when they were starting out and they were very good live, that said I got sick of the first album quickly and have barely listened to their 2nd one.

They're not ****e but they're not exactly generation defining and neither are the Blizzards who're piss poor live btw. The Thrills were the worst thing to happen Irish music since B*witchd to the extent that I think herpes should be renamed "A dose of the Thrills"

Jedward on the other hand are the product of the media and the general publics willingness to give people with such limited talent far too much coverage. They're part of something which is still snowballing - IMO I hope it crumbles soon because while the Coronas might annoy you OP - they're not looking for attention and the spotlight, they're happy making music which makes alot of people happy (myself, temporarily included). You want to see whats wrong with our country look at Jedward the product of an Ireland which craves attention and ultimately proves embarassing and has people laughing at our expense.

Do you honestly think that my sentiments are really far more extreme than suggesting that a single band is what's wrong with the entire country? I'd think that "They're what's wrong with Ireland" is a far more extreme view than saying someone shouldn't be making music. Jedward would have no success in music if it wasn't for television, so I think it's a fair statement.
    Or does that only apply to people who play guitars?

It applies to people with some form of musical talent. Jedward have none, therefor they shouldn't be making music.

I'd think that "They're what's wrong with Ireland" is a far more extreme view than saying someone shouldn't be making music.

Outright censorship of the media because you don't happen to like it is very extreme.

• Advertisement

Outright censorship of the media because you don't happen to like it is very extreme.

Oh right, you've taken my "Restraining order" comment as something other than a blithe euphemism not meant to be taken literally. I think you've read too much into a comment that was after all posted on the Ranting and Raving forum. Look, I'm sure this could keep going back and forth for ages, so I'll just say that I had not been genuinely suggesting censorship but I'm happy with my sentiment that Jedward should not be making music and leave it at that. You can feel free to congratulate yourself for exposing my hypocrisy by pulling quotes from wildly different forums and contexts.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

By the way Irish bands are pretty poor to be honest wiht you but Autamata and Duckworth Lewis Method and two recent gems that do Ireland proud.

I actually spent a day in studio with Ken from Autamata AND knoxy from the coronas a few weeks ago working on some tunes. Wonder how you'll like that music :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

lordgoat wrote: »
    I couldn't disagree with you more. Musically they are more bland than lettuce. In 10 years time if i remember them it will solely be because of this thread.

Seriously, show me something better in the last 10 years... You'd swear U2 were amazing or something.
    NickDrake wrote: »
    What a crazy crazy comment. I am very afraid for you if you think bland over produced crap like that is the best thing to come out of Ireland.

You're very afraid for me because I don't share your music taste? Here's something for ya, I'm 19 and can easily say that probably most 17-24 year olds would know/like quite a lot of coronas songs. I'm going to base this on the fact that, I've been to gigs, I was at oxegen, I've been out in nightclubs and I listen to the radio. You might think they're bland or crap, but the fact is, people like them, so your opinion is pretty much moot.

Seriously, show me something better in the last 10 years... You'd swear U2 were amazing or something.

You're very afraid for me because I don't share your music taste? Here's something for ya, I'm 19 and can easily say that probably most 17-24 year olds would know/like quite a lot of coronas songs. I'm going to base this on the fact that, I've been to gigs, I was at oxegen, I've been out in nightclubs and I listen to the radio. You might think they're bland or crap, but the fact is, people like them, so your opinion is pretty much moot.

God help you young man, you will look back on this in a few years time when you find propper music and shake your head .

Not money driven, radio produced rubbish like the coronas

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

turn
    kerbdog
    wilt

and many many many other great bands that 19year ols like you will never have the prilivege of appreciating.

Listen to Nick Drake. He speaks the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

You can easily say that probably most 17-24 year olds would know/like quite a lot of Coronas songs? What is this I don't even. You can easily say it because you have a keyboard with all the keys in front of you but I'm afraid what you just said makes very little sense and I'd imagine what it's meant to imply is wrong also.

You've been to gigs, Oxegen, nightclubs AND have listened to the radio? Well sh*t lads, we're talking to an expert here. So by going to venues where people go to get drunk and grope ladies primarily is an indication of the musical tastes of the youth today? I can say that when I was 19 I went to clubs playing sh*t music because I wanted to get my hole not because I wanted to listen to sh*tty pop music.

The problem with internet arguments is the exaggeration that appears on both ends making the argument ridiculous. The Coronas are neither the reason Ireland is going to hell in a hand basket, neither are they, as you seem to imply, 'good'. They are the direct descendant of bland pop bands that came before and will keep coming after. This is not just an opinion, I've already stated my credentials in another thread. Do not take the fact that you have terrible taste in music too badly, you're entitled to listen to the worst music in the world if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Just to add my opinion. I saw them at the meteors. I was never a massive fan of them before but both their performance and behaviour on the night really endeared them to me. They were extremely modest and thankful when they received their award and were very friendly to the fans. They happily posed for photos at the side of the stage and gave autographs. Danny even gave me a guitar pick (:D). These acts may seem insignificant, but I can think of a few people who would learn a thing or two from them. They know where they came from and that it is the fans who put them where they are.

Many people who have achieved the moderate amount of fame that the coronas have, have let it go to their heads/ developed an "I'm better than you" attitude. Luckily the coronas haven't.

lizt wrote: »
    Just to add my opinion. I saw them at the meteors. I was never a massive fan of them before but both their performance and behaviour on the night really endeared them to me. They were extremely modest and thankful when they received their award and were very friendly to the fans. They happily posed for photos at the side of the stage and gave autographs. Danny even gave me a guitar pick (:D). These acts may seem insignificant, but I can think of a few people who would learn a thing or two from them. They know where they came from and that it is the fans who put them where they are.

Many people who have achieved the moderate amount of fame that the coronas have, have let it go to their heads/ developed an "I'm better than you" attitude. Luckily the coronas haven't.

I can second exactly what you have written here and as I stated in an earlier post here. Danny and the guys are decent genuine people. This topic is actually starting to grate a little. In my opinion it is all down to personal taste and we all like different things so can we not live and let live.

musicmania wrote: »
    I can second exactly what you have written here and as I stated in an earlier post here. Danny and the guys are decent genuine people. This topic is actually starting to grate a little. In my opinion it is all down to personal taste and we all like different things so can we not live and let live.

Jesus of course they are genuine. They are only lads in a band that has a few fans in Ireland. Hardly U2.

Why would they be dicks?? They are ****e

• Advertisement

I've seen people with less success who are full of themselves and arrogant. You are right they are not U2 but they don't claim to be. So what that you and most of the other people posting here don't like their music but there is a lot worse stuff in the charts. I personally love U2 but know alot of people who hate them and are forever slating them in the same way people here are slating The Coronas. That is why I have a live and let live attitude cos at the end of the day it is all down to personal opinion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement