Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the coronas...they are whats wrong with ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Why is it everytime i turn on the radio they are on. Can't something be done about this. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

the coronas the only band in the world that make the blizzards look good there a big pile of elephant shat. and i hate the fact that they have been the 1st band on in oxegen for the past 2 years and the fact they think there cool by telling the audience that there going camp for the weekend. god there keeping it ''real'' d4 a holes. funniest was me and my m8s saw them watching ocean colour scene in the crowd needless to say they got a fair bit of stick :D
    rant over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Jordan Berbatov

so they are lads from ternenure college that are better off than most of us, if they wrote songs about how hard their life is people would be giving out. they sing songs about their life, its true, and hey so what it may not be reviloutinary or ground breaking, but as a student I can say they are great crack live, and any person thats not too stuck up their own hole can realise that,ffs san diego song is college life personified.

So what if they are good live. They should not be played that much to the exclusion of other Irish bands. Its lazy radio IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭punkindrublic

Whoever said all 19-24 year olds like the coronas is talking ****e. I'm 19 & can't stand them, same goes for all of my friends with the exception of one who likes them because "the singer is a ride ohmygod"
    they're way way overplayed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

san diego song is college life personified.

No it's not :pac:

I really hate all that, 'we're students, we just get drunk all the time' bull****. Trying to be 'deadly' and appeal to the 'kids'. Write a proper song please.

s
    ffs san diego song is college life personified.

I iniitially liked this song but now just can't stand it.. So contrived and put on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I cant believe people are picking apart their lyrics and knocking them for writing about a summer they spent in the U.S.
    I'd really love to hear what the people that do this are into musicilly. I've heard far worse lyrics than the Coronas.
    I personally like their music although as with most bands some of their stuff does sound very like some of their other stuff.
    I like the fact that the lead singer is into his Irish and while it might be a cheap marketing attempt it is at least admirable that they do some stuff in Irish (thats for the person who mentioned that they didnt admit to being irish instead writing about a place 6000 miles away btw)
    While they don't float everyones boat many enjoy their music and the voice of the lead singer (which I believe to be excellent having heard him sing sean nos on one occassion).
    Obviously his mother helped the band on the way but they have been around a while.
    I personally wish them all the best. They write their own music, work hard, support the Irish language and entertain thousands annually.
    Kippy
    EDIT; Also, "they are whats wrong with Ireland" ..........really are they..........musicilly or in general?

yeah they speak Irish, win loads of meteors etc. But do not think they are representative of the Irish music scene. Its typical of the daytime radio djs. they latch onto one band and forget about the rest. Again they are over rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭kippy

yeah they speak Irish, win loads of meteors etc. But do no think they are representative of the Irish music scene. Its typical of the daytime radio djs. they latch onto one band and forget about the rest. Again they are over rated.

Why would one place them on the pedastal of being representative of the Irish music scene? Exactly who hands out this honour, who had it last?
    Overrated-in what way, theres plenty on here who dont rate them at all. In fairness its not like they are international superstars either.
    Theres tonnes of crap on "mainstream" radio daily, to suggest that the Coronas are the worst of it is a bit unfair.

• Advertisement

lead singers voice just grates. And then there's the whole bearded look. What ever happened to the eighties when bands like Something Happens and the Stars of Heavens made decent music. Everything now is just so manufactured and Coronas are just representative of that whole scene. My beef is that they are being singled out way too much by the music industry. Plenty of good bands out there and they are not getting a fair crack of the whip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

Back on to the Corona's - are a terrible band and shoudn't be where they are

Where are they? Didn't they break up like a year ago? And they're just one of the many insignificant Irish bands that are only important in and around the Wexford Street area

But I do agree they're crap, but they aren't important, they aren't even well known

Music we should be talking up; Redneck Manifesto, Adebisi Shank, GIAA Japanese Popstars, get to know them, they'll blow you away....oh and stop listening to radio, get a subscription to Last FM and you'll never get anymore of that drival rammed down yer necks

El Pr0n wrote: »
    No it's not :pac:

I really hate all that, 'we're students, we just get drunk all the time' bull****. Trying to be 'deadly' and appeal to the 'kids'. Write a proper song please.

well a 1st year arts student might have something to say about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

****ing pitiful band. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Nobody cares what a 1st year arts student has to say about anything. Nobody at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭RayCon

On the strength of this thread Ive given them a listen for the first time ever .... yaaaawwwwwwn.

I'm a first year arts student (Nice one Kold, sound). My point was, a song isn't a person, how can a song personify something? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Gotta say this thread is impressive.....

Full of:
    Irish Begrudgery ... check
    Jealousy of a few fellas who have the cheek to be well off...check
    musical snobbery....check
    cringeworthy comments.....check
    internet warriors....check.

basically a thread with very few pieces of objective criticism which could provoke a bit of debate and plenty of abuse for a group of lads who happen to be having a laugh and enjoying making their own music. Personally would change the radio if they came on but at the same time wouldn't give them abuse for being overplayed on the radio..that's hardly their fault now.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

El Pr0n wrote: »
    I'm a first year arts student (Nice one Kold, sound). My point was, a song isn't a person, how can a song personify something? :rolleyes:

How can a song personify something? To me that's the object of a good song/songwriter.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,290 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Jesus christ we're a nation of begrudgers, if these were British would there be such an abusive thread? These aren't a great band, that Listen Dear song is good though. That San Diego song is a bit cringeworthy but so what? Theres tonnes of cringeworthy stuff out there from other nations, stupid thread.

• Advertisement

lordgoat wrote: »
    How can a song personify something? To me that's the object of a good song/songwriter.

No, a song cannot personify something, by definition, because it's not a person. "To represent (an object or abstraction) by a human figure." I was making a stupid grammatical point as a joke, because I really didn't agree with the point I originally quoted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

The really sad thing about this thread, and what I believe Lordgoat was getting at way back on page one, people are too concerned with what they don't like to actually go and have a look for some stuff they do. Have an opinion on the Coronas, fine. But please, give yourself an alternative before complaining that there's been nothing decent since the 80's.

To say there's been nothing better in the last ten or twenty years is to ignore the good and great work done by hundreds of bands in this country in that time. Irish music is probably the best it has ever been in terms of talent and originality. The changed state of the industry and the fact we live on a very small island are the reasons these bands don't usually get noticed elsewhere.

Here's ten to go along with the earlier mentions of The Redneck Manifesto and Adebisi Shank. Hopefully diverse enough to fit most tastes.

And So I watch You From Afar
    Jape
    Villagers
    Vyvienne Long
    Heathers
    The Cast of Cheers
    Patrick Kelleher
    Bitches With Wolves
    Hunter-Gatherer
    Cloud Castle Lake

Should keep you busy for an hour or two. You can generally catch at least one of these bands playing every week in Dublin.

For more check out the likes of State.ie, Nialler9, Totally Dublin, Connected Magazine, The Richter Collective and Thumped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Ray Darcy played their new song yesterday and then said they were great. But it was April Fool's day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I think they are out of their depth and it pisses me off that one of their songs is always stuck in my head due to the amount of radio-play they are getting atm.

I guarantee they will amount to squat internationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I think they are out of their depth and it pisses me off that one of their songs is always stuck in my head due to the amount of radio-play they are getting atm.

I guarantee they will amount to squat internationally.

They're no Crystal Swing is all I can add to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

yes one would, and as one i would have to say i'm in agreement with rory...its not remotely college life personified

jpcarlow wrote: »
    yes one would, and as one i would have to say i'm in agreement with rory...its not remotely college life personified

well so far its a fairly accurate description of mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

God forbid we should like a band that get played on the radio often...

There is such musical snobbery in this thread its hard to believe.

I bet the second one of the bands mentioned in this thread who we've never heard of gets big, the person who mentioned them will stop liking them and complain about how the music industry is ruining them since they made some money.

I love seeing Irish bands doing well. Even Jedward, i hate every single thing they do, but I respect how they are making a fortune doing what they love to do, and I'm happy to see an Irish "artist" (i use that term loosely:P) like them do well in the UK. Even The Blizzards, i dont like them, but when their albums do well in the charts i think well fair play to them.

Back to the Coronas. I can't understand why people think they're shít.
    I'll be the first to admit the san diego song's lyrics are cringe-worthy, but its catchy, the music is good, and the singers voice is decent.

I listen to Aslan and Damien Dempsey cause i love they're lyrics, i relate to them... I dont think i've ever related to a Coronas lyric, but i still think their music is good.

I think The Script, although i love their album, are well over played at this stage, but i'm really happy for them doing so well in the U.S.

God forbid anyone from Ireland but yourself should do well in life :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,290 ✭✭✭✭CSF

well so far its a fairly accurate description of mine
    Even though the song even isn't about college life as such? Unless you're spending your college life in San Diego on a J1?

• Advertisement

neil_18_ wrote: »
    God forbid we should like a band that get played on the radio often...

There is such musical snobbery in this thread its hard to believe.

I bet the second one of the bands mentioned in this thread who we've never heard of gets big, the person who mentioned them will stop liking them and complain about how the music industry is ruining them since they made some money.

I love seeing Irish bands doing well. Even Jedward, i hate every single thing they do, but I respect how they are making a fortune doing what they love to do, and I'm happy to see an Irish "artist" (i use that term loosely:P) like them do well in the UK. Even The Blizzards, i dont like them, but when their albums do well in the charts i think well fair play to them.

Back to the Coronas. I can't understand why people think they're shít.
    I'll be the first to admit the san diego song's lyrics are cringe-worthy, but its catchy, the music is good, and the singers voice is decent.

I listen to Aslan and Damien Dempsey cause i love they're lyrics, i relate to them... I dont think i've ever related to a Coronas lyric, but i still think their music is good.

I think The Script, although i love their album, are well over played at this stage, but i'm really happy for them doing so well in the U.S.

God forbid anyone from Ireland but yourself should do well in life :rolleyes:

So you hate musical snobbery, and you're ride your high horse away from this thread?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement