Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the coronas...they are whats wrong with ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

El Pr0n wrote: »
    So you hate musical snobbery, and you're ride your high horse away from this thread?

Eh...what? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

neil_18_ wrote: »
    Eh...what? :confused:

I just thought it was funny that you condemn everyone for being 'musical snobs', and then start talking like you're the only one who's right.

El Pr0n wrote: »
    I just thought it was funny that you condemn everyone for being 'musical snobs', and then start talking like you're the only one who's right.

Clearly i'm not the only one with this opinion.
    If people don't like their music, thats fine, i'm not their biggest fan either, but for people to be calling them "a*sholes" and saying "they are whats wrong with ireland" is beyond rediculous.

I said it before, I hate anything Jedward do, but I respect that they are 2 young lads from Dublin doing what they love doing and making a fortune doing it.
    Kirnsy wrote: »
    Gotta say this thread is impressive.....

Full of:
    Irish Begrudgery ... check
    Jealousy of a few fellas who have the cheek to be well off...check
    musical snobbery....check
    cringeworthy comments.....check
    internet warriors....check.

basically a thread with very few pieces of objective criticism which could provoke a bit of debate and plenty of abuse for a group of lads who happen to be having a laugh and enjoying making their own music. Personally would change the radio if they came on but at the same time wouldn't give them abuse for being overplayed on the radio..that's hardly their fault now.
    CSF wrote: »
    Jesus christ we're a nation of begrudgers, if these were British would there be such an abusive thread? These aren't a great band, that Listen Dear song is good though. That San Diego song is a bit cringeworthy but so what? Theres tonnes of cringeworthy stuff out there from other nations, stupid thread.
    so they are lads from ternenure college that are better off than most of us, if they wrote songs about how hard their life is people would be giving out. they sing songs about their life, its true, and hey so what it may not be reviloutinary or ground breaking, but as a student I can say they are great crack live, and any person thats not too stuck up their own hole can realise that,ffs san diego song is college life personified.
    kippy wrote: »
    I cant believe people are picking apart their lyrics and knocking them for writing about a summer they spent in the U.S.
    I'd really love to hear what the people that do this are into musicilly. I've heard far worse lyrics than the Coronas.
    I personally like their music although as with most bands some of their stuff does sound very like some of their other stuff.
    I like the fact that the lead singer is into his Irish and while it might be a cheap marketing attempt it is at least admirable that they do some stuff in Irish (thats for the person who mentioned that they didnt admit to being irish instead writing about a place 6000 miles away btw)
    While they don't float everyones boat many enjoy their music and the voice of the lead singer (which I believe to be excellent having heard him sing sean nos on one occassion).
    Obviously his mother helped the band on the way but they have been around a while.
    I personally wish them all the best. They write their own music, work hard, support the Irish language and entertain thousands annually.
    Kippy
    EDIT; Also, "they are whats wrong with Ireland" ..........really are they..........musicilly or in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Clearly i'm not the only one with this opinion.
    If people don't like their music, thats fine, i'm not their biggest fan either, but for people to be calling them "a*sholes" and saying "they are whats wrong with ireland" is beyond rediculous.

I said it before, I hate anything Jedward do, but I respect that they are 2 young lads from Dublin doing what they love doing and making a fortune doing it.

Nope, just not getting where you're coming from here. I suspect we are on completely different wavelengths in regards to what garners our respect.

Kold wrote: »

Nope, just not getting where you're coming from here. I suspect we are on completely different wavelengths in regards to what garners our respect.

Yep, different people have different opinions.

We'll have to agree to disagree :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I don't like the Coronas myself but that doesn't mean they are ****e. This is yet another case of hating a band and not doing anything about it. If you hate them so much maybe you could come up with better music and be more successful if people agree with your views.

The Coronas are good live and they don't preach about things beyond their demographic. They stick to them with songs like the aforementioned San Diego song.

The music snobbery in this forum is horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

God forbid we should like a band that get played on the radio often...

There is such musical snobbery in this thread its hard to believe.

I bet the second one of the bands mentioned in this thread who we've never heard of gets big, the person who mentioned them will stop liking them and complain about how the music industry is ruining them since they made some money.

Yeah Jape, And So I Watch You From Afar, and the Japanese Popstars. Real unknowns they are.

And to whoever is saying people are jealous of them doing well for themselves. ffs they're only popular in Ireland. There are probably plenty of posters here on boards who are far better off than them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

FFS i'm sick to the teeth of 'whinge whinge music snobbery whinge'. The coronas are not above criticism, there are quite alot of very valid criticisms levelled at them, they are a very average band, they write pretty terrible songs imo, and nothing about this post is musical snobbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭navannavan

Actually on the Myspace play charts The Whatmans are out playing the Coronas by over 30 times,The Whatmans get an average 300 plays per day , the coronas average 5. Actually The Whatmas are currently The most listened band in Ireland ,

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Some people in this thread are taking it a bit too far. Ok, you don't like the coronas. That's grand, we all have different tastes in music.

But to say they are what's wrong with Ireland? Hyperbole, as far as I'm concerned.

As I mentioned previously in this thread, they seem to be genuinely nice guys. If you don't like their music, don't listen to and don't insult them just because they have achieved a moderate level of success. It's not their fault that they're overplayed on the radio!

• Advertisement

lizt wrote: »
    As I mentioned previously in this thread, they seem to be genuinely nice guys. If you don't like their music, don't listen to and don't insult them just because they have achieved a moderate level of success. It's not their fault that they're overplayed on the radio!

They're not being insulted because they're moderately successful. If they played a gig in my college canteen I'd still call them sh*te.

Some people are going a little far, yes, but as far as I'm concerned hyperbole is well at home on a music board. It's a place where people can express strong expressions for or against something. Now I don't think the OP was holding the Coronas directly responsible for the problems in this country but he was saying something about the general attitude they express and was comparing it to the apathy of todays youth.

It's kind of ironic because I thing the finger pointing is one of the things that's wrong with Ireland. But you know, this is a music board.. and the Coronas are terribad, and a lot of us agree. It's not their fault they're being played on the radio. It's radios job seemingly to put on the most bland, devoid of artistic integrity sh*te they can find. It's their fault they make sh*te music though. So like... F*ck them..

navannavan wrote: »
    Actually on the Myspace play charts The Whatmans are out playing the Coronas by over 30 times,The Whatmans get an average 300 plays per day , the coronas average 5. Actually The Whatmas are currently The most listened band in Ireland ,

You're forgetting Crystal Swing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

People are entitled to have and express an opinion - and as aggressively as they like - irrespective of:

- What music they like
    - Whether they are musically talented or not
    - Whether the act in question is successful or not
    - Where the act comes from
    - How nice the people/person involved are/is (personal insults are out of order, but if people feel the music is terrible, it's up to those making the music to take that personally or not)
    - Whether there are other bands that are as bad or worse (why is that one always thrown out? I don't get how it constitutes a reason not to criticise)

All of the above is usually due not to begrudgery or music snobbery or trying to be cool, but simply thinking the music is sh1te. What actually makes a musical act above criticism anyway? And those who have such a problem with criticism of The Coronas here: are you guys saying you'd never ever criticise a band/musician?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭taibhse

I think this video perfectly sums up the coronas .... it could have been written with them in mind!

http://msuma.wrzuta.pl/film/1zMf5QLJxZa/douchebag_with_guitar_-_family_guy_6x04

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Dudess wrote: »
    People are entitled to have and express an opinion - and as aggressively as they like - irrespective of:

- What music they like
    - Whether they are musically talented or not
    - Whether the act in question is successful or not
    - Where the act comes from
    - How nice the people/person involved are/is (personal insults are out of order, but if people feel the music is terrible, it's up to those making the music to take that personally or not)
    - Whether there are other bands that are as bad or worse (why is that one always thrown out? I don't get how it constitutes a reason not to criticise)

All of the above is usually due not to begrudgery or music snobbery or trying to be cool, but simply thinking the music is sh1te. What actually makes a musical act above criticism anyway? And those who have such a problem with criticism of The Coronas here: are you guys saying you'd never ever criticise a band/musician?

They sure are doing that. I don't think the corona's are good and have not problem with people saying they are absolute crap etc.
    I do have a problem with people whining about them going off to San Diego - That is pure begrudgery.....and saying they are the embodiment of what is wrong with the country is ****ing retarded. Look at the bankers, politicians or Church for that ... not a few lads who have a good time (attempting to) singing.....

I agree they're not what's wrong with Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

We used to have a genuinely vibrant little musical ecosystem here, and we've let it rot away to the Blizzards and the Coronas and a few others - bands who excel at mimicking other bands and styles well enough to shift discs here rather than excelling as songwriters or musicians.

I find the Corona's success frustrating because, like Ash and a few others just before them, it seems to me that they are a prime example of the biggest problem with the music industry in this country; we reward bands that lack any kind of daring or musical ambition, so long as they can muster up a half-decent singalong in the pub. We reward Irish bands like this not for being good bands, but for being Irish; something which pretty much means that the only bands we ever elevate to the point of making it out of the country won't get far.

I'm sure they're nice lads and I don't begrudge them their success, but it's hard not to look at them as symptomatic of an embarrassing trend in our national arts and culture sectors.

I think it was fairly easy to see that the OP was talking about what was wrong with music in this country not the overall scene. If they were it is indeed very far off the mark. Musically though i think there may be a point to be made, much like what jill v just posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭kippy

We used to have a genuinely vibrant little musical ecosystem here, and we've let it rot away to the Blizzards and the Coronas and a few others - bands who excel at mimicking other bands and styles well enough to shift discs here rather than excelling as songwriters or musicians.

I find the Corona's success frustrating because, like Ash and a few others just before them, it seems to me that they are a prime example of the biggest problem with the music industry in this country; we reward bands that lack any kind of daring or musical ambition, so long as they can muster up a half-decent singalong in the pub. We reward Irish bands like this not for being good bands, but for being Irish; something which pretty much means that the only bands we ever elevate to the point of making it out of the country won't get far.

I'm sure they're nice lads and I don't begrudge them their success, but it's hard not to look at them as symptomatic of an embarrassing trend in our national arts and culture sectors.
    I disagree to be honest.....
    They are not HUGELY successful.....they are a well supported band whose music many get enjoyment out of. They sell records yes, but they write their own music and feature a number of talented musicians.
    I feel sometimes in this country we take ourselves too seriously when it comes to music. There are tonnes of other Irish bands out there that people follow, all with their own styles and fans. If the band isnt popular it is VERY hard to reward them.
    Whats the harm in having a band that is popular in the country? Its not a competition, those that work hard and have ambition will naturally get far outside of the country should they gain a large enough following.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭louloumc89

Excuse me for just jumping into the thread. Just in reply to the OP... I rather admire the coronas, along with anybody out there that is going out and just doing it for themselves. Regardless of any help they may have had starting up. They're brining some money into the country. Any money they earn from touring and cd sales abroad is money in their pockets, which they are spending into our economy. They're doing more for the Irish economy than most people on this thead, including myself. Even if they only earn a couple of mil abroad, and buy houses or cars or whatever for themselves. That's money for us. Plus they're good for Irish tourism/entertainment.

I think it's too easy for Irish people to bitch about everything under the sun. I don't know why people have to give out so much and be so bitter about other people's success.

• Advertisement

louloumc89 wrote: »
    Excuse me for just jumping into the thread. Just in reply to the OP... I rather admire the coronas, along with anybody out there that is going out and just doing it for themselves. Regardless of any help they may have had starting up. They're brining some money into the country. Any money they earn from touring and cd sales abroad is money in their pockets, which they are spending into our economy. They're doing more for the Irish economy than most people on this thead, including myself. Even if they only earn a couple of mil abroad, and buy houses or cars or whatever for themselves. That's money for us. Plus they're good for Irish tourism/entertainment.

I think it's too easy for Irish people to bitch about everything under the sun. I don't know why people have to give out so much and be so bitter about other people's success.

Are they at all successful outside of Ireland? Also, it's good manners to read the last few posts in a thread.

louloumc89 wrote: »
    So that means people have to like their music?
    You could say the above about any band ever, but there are surely bands you dislike yourself and I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate people telling you you're not allowed to dislike them?
    Yeah, it's terrible - except that's not what's actually happening here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Dudess wrote: »
    So that means people have to like their music?
    You could say the above about any band ever, but there are surely bands you dislike yourself and I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate people telling you you're not allowed to dislike them?

Yeah, it's terrible - except that's not what's actually happening here.

No one has to like or dislike anything.....however the negativity against the band from some people, especially the OP, is strange to say the least.

I fully agree - I'm generally not one for no-holds-barred venomous fits of rage directed at particular acts (apart from Black Eyed Peas :pac:) but if people find that objectionable, cool (although people do have a right to express their opinions, even if in an aggressive manner) however why are so many resorting to the presumptuous accusations of begrudgery and music snobbery when they have pretty much fuk all to back it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 paddyhunt

Yea the coronas are just ****e, i could write a better song in 5 minutes!

Check out my stuff especially my song 'Diamond'

I PROMISE YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!!

http://www.myspace.com/paddyhunt

39 seconds and i ended it. paddyhunt is whats wrong with ireland!!

but good luck with it, wishing you corona like success

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

lordgoat wrote: »
    39 seconds and i ended it. paddyhunt is whats wrong with ireland!!

but good luck with it, wishing you corona like success
    I made it to 50 secs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

didn't realise this thread was still going. have a few replies to make from the last few pages. not bothered giving opinions anymore, just filling in facts where needed
    I made it to 50 secs
    I made it to around the same.
    Are they at all successful outside of Ireland? Also, it's good manners to read the last few posts in a thread.
    They've officially released music in the UK and in Japan, have small followings in both but not anything close to the same degree as here. They're focusing on the states now, i'd imagine they'll release the latest album there in the first half of this year.
    Where are they? Didn't they break up like a year ago? And they're just one of the many insignificant Irish bands that are only important in and around the Wexford Street area
    Honestly, The Coronas kinda bypassed that whole wexford street thing. Infact, the bands you mentioned in your post are more suitable of that scene. The Coronas are playing the Olypmia this Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭IveSeenFire

Yes, apparently the Coronas are whats wrong with Ireland, and supposedly fostered the ethos of wastage causing recession etc etc etc.

Wack thread - Should be locked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

To be fair maybe we should just forgive them for that first single, the bearded look, Danny's annoying vocals, the fact they are played to death on the radio etc. Not too much to ask really

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement