Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the coronas...they are whats wrong with ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Yes, apparently the Coronas are whats wrong with Ireland, and supposedly fostered the ethos of wastage causing recession etc etc etc.

Wack thread - Should be locked.

Wiggity Wack or just regular kind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Must admit I never heard them until recently enough. I've heard one song by them now, possibly two. Meh, just middle-of-the-road, generic guitar pop like The Kooks and a thousand other acts. Good singer, good at playing their instruments, well produced. Doesn't offend my ears but I don't consider it good either. It's just... there.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭IveSeenFire

Kold wrote: »
    Wiggity Wack or just regular kind?
    Its your call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Yes, apparently the Coronas are whats wrong with Ireland, and supposedly fostered the ethos of wastage causing recession etc etc etc.

Lets make it a sticky :D

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭louloumc89

Dudess wrote: »
    So that means people have to like their music?
    You could say the above about any band ever, but there are surely bands you dislike yourself and I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate people telling you you're not allowed to dislike them?

I did read back a page of posts, just not the full eleven pages. And I was polite about it, in case somebody had made the same point. That is why I apologised for 'just jumping in the thread', I don't need some idiot to tell me what is good manners. Did you happen to read my post? That is not what I said at all. I just mean posting a thread saying 'The coronas...that's what's wrong with Ireland' is more than a little bit over the top. Having opinions and expressing them in such an aggressive manner are two very different things. I was merely wishing the lads the best success, and saying I think it's ignorant to post such a thread. In reality, what is wrong with Ireland is over spending and borrowing money we can't pay back. So if anything, the coronas are bringing a bit of money back into the country. No where in my post did I say you, or anyone else was not allowed to dislike the coronas, or their music.
    Yeah, it's terrible - except that's not what's actually happening here.

Here's the original post...just in case you've not read it.
    .we sleep all day we drink all night....we are not wasting our time....along with sundried tomato hummous paninis,mocha skinny frappucchinos,ugg boots,fake tans,cantebury tracksuit bottoms and dubes.....what has ireland become...i thought the recession wout belt lumps out of j1,golf driving san diego wannabes like these...but judging by their popularity...it hasnt just yet.

the thrills too....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

were irish not southern californians...get a bit of originiality

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

louloumc89 wrote: »
    I did read back a page of posts, just not the full eleven pages. And I was polite about it, in case somebody had made the same point. That is why I apologised for 'just jumping in the thread', I don't need some idiot to tell me what is good manners. Did you happen to read my post? That is not what I said at all. I just mean posting a thread saying 'The coronas...that's what's wrong with Ireland' is more than a little bit over the top. Having opinions and expressing them in such an aggressive manner are two very different things. I was merely wishing the lads the best success, and saying I think it's ignorant to post such a thread. In reality, what is wrong with Ireland is over spending and borrowing money we can't pay back. So if anything, the coronas are bringing a bit of money back into the country. No where in my post did I say you, or anyone else was not allowed to dislike the coronas, or their music.

Here's the original post...just in case you've not read it.

the threads moved past the first post, take your smart assed comments and read all the whole thread!

Do you really think people are seriously blaming the coronas for overspending? Must have been some ****ing J1. Have a bit of intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭louloumc89

lordgoat wrote: »
    Do you really think people are seriously blaming the coronas for overspending? Must have been some ****ing J1. Have a bit of intelligence.

I've since read about 70% of the thread. Do you honestly think I'd post without? I just think that the entire argument of begrudging other peoples success is what is wrong with this bitchy country. I have a major problem with people who begrudge other peoples success. The type of people who go around posting on threads jeering at people, because they go on a J1. If they had the opportunity to fly off on a sumer holiday to their chosen destination, would they turn it down? The kind of negative and pessimistic people who can't see anybody else getting a break without blaming them for the countries problems.

And childish comments like yours make you intelligent? I dislike people who can dish out abuse at a band who aren't here defending themselves. And then when somebody says they think that it's unfair to blame a band for the countries problem, based on their music/family/background etc... you feel the need to personally attack them, using abusive language and insulting their intelligence. I'm out of here, I'm not one of those people who likes to get into personal bitchy like forum fights, good luck.

I dislike people who can dish out abuse at a band who aren't here defending themselves. And then when somebody says they think that it's unfair to blame a band for the countries problem, based on their music/family/background etc... you feel the need to personally attack them, using abusive language and insulting their intelligence. I'm out of here, I'm not one of those people who likes to get into personal bitchy like forum fights, good luck.
    I don't need some idiot to tell me what is good manners

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Must admit I never heard them until recently enough. I've heard one song by them now, possibly two. Meh, just middle-of-the-road, generic guitar pop like The Kooks and a thousand other acts. Good singer, good at playing their instruments, well produced. Doesn't offend my ears but I don't consider it good either. It's just... there.

I agree. Apart from the good singer/middle of the road parts.

I know it's only an opinion, and my one at that so no one has to agree, but the coronas are complete and utter shíte. Shít songs, shít singer, **** band. To say that they are middle of the road is a compliment to the band.

They are, at least, what's wrong with Irish music. A small shít pub band (if even that, I've seen better imo) with a few friends and a famous mother. They will never make it at any level outside this country, for the simple reason that they are shít.

Nepotism and cronyism is rife in Irish music, and untill people start being honest with the people they know that are in shít bands, writing shít music, Ireland won't have a good music scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Again the point is this. Its the Music industry and daytime djs who champion them at almost the expense of every other irish band that is the problem. Same with the Blizzards. Foley played one of their songs to death. Im very wary of a station that plays same song over and over which is what some stations do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭kippy

nummnutts wrote: »
    I agree. Apart from the good singer/middle of the road parts.

I know it's only an opinion, and my one at that so no one has to agree, but the coronas are complete and utter shíte. Shít songs, shít singer, **** band. To say that they are middle of the road is a compliment to the band.

They are, at least, what's wrong with Irish music. A small shít pub band (if even that, I've seen better imo) with a few friends and a famous mother. They will never make it at any level outside this country, for the simple reason that they are shít.

Nepotism and cronyism is rife in Irish music, and untill people start being honest with the people they know that are in shít bands, writing shít music, Ireland won't have a good music scene.

Again, I have to ask what is a "good music scene"?
    Who were the last artists to be part of a "good music scene"?

Again the point is this. Its the Music industry and daytime djs who champion them at almost the expense of every other irish band that is the problem. Same with the Blizzards. Foley played one of their songs to death. Im very wary of a station that plays same song over and over which is what some stations do.

The daytime mainstream DJ's play the popular music in general. Always have done from what I can tell.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I've since read about 70% of the thread. Do you honestly think I'd post without? I just think that the entire argument of begrudging other peoples success is what is wrong with this bitchy country. I have a major problem with people who begrudge other peoples success. The type of people who go around posting on threads jeering at people, because they go on a J1. If they had the opportunity to fly off on a sumer holiday to their chosen destination, would they turn it down? The kind of negative and pessimistic people who can't see anybody else getting a break without blaming them for the countries problems.

And childish comments like yours make you intelligent? I dislike people who can dish out abuse at a band who aren't here defending themselves. And then when somebody says they think that it's unfair to blame a band for the countries problem, based on their music/family/background etc... you feel the need to personally attack them, using abusive language and insulting their intelligence. I'm out of here, I'm not one of those people who likes to get into personal bitchy like forum fights, good luck.

Mrs Contradiction.

First of all you say you've read most of the thread then make a post saying the corona are responsible for the recession. This doesn't add up.

Many post in this thread are not begrudging them success just saying they dislike their music. Was this in the 30% of the thread you didn't read.

And the huge one that Dudess just highlighted.

I'd look forward to an answer to this post and maybe you'll contradict yourself again by posting but i think you'll slither off once more, having been proven incorrect.

Please show me any posts where i've personally attacked the coronas or anyone else for that matter, i'd like an apology after you don't find any. Yes i don't like their music, to be honest i couldn't give a ****e what they do in their spare time.

kippy wrote: »
    Again, I have to ask what is a "good music scene"?
    Who were the last artists to be part of a "good music scene"?

Without trying to patronise you, a "good music scene" is a scene that champions good music. I thought anybody that could use a keyboard would realise that "good music" was an integral part of a "good music scene", but evidently not.

The last "good music scene", in my opinion, was Britpop. Some truly great bands came from that scene during the mid 90's. An aweful lot of shíte also seeped through, but in my opinion that was the last "good music scene".

Pre X-Factor/Pop Idol/internet bands producing albums for under a tenner and record companies selling them on for €20.

It was the last time real music fans were catered to and the last time, possibly, that music was more important than image.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 nialldeman

brilliant band stating whats obvious about irish men and sounds cool

Why on earth should it be locked? Because you personally dislike it?

nialldeman wrote: »
    brilliant band stating whats obvious about irish men and sounds cool

Can you elaborate?

Without trying to patronise you, a "good music scene" is a scene that champions good music. I thought anybody that could use a keyboard would realise that "good music" was an integral part of a "good music scene", but evidently not.

The last "good music scene", in my opinion, was Britpop. Some truly great bands came from that scene during the mid 90's. An aweful lot of shíte also seeped through, but in my opinion that was the last "good music scene".

Pre X-Factor/Pop Idol/internet bands producing albums for under a tenner and record companies selling them on for €20.

It was the last time real music fans were catered to and the last time, possibly, that music was more important than image.
    So what is "good music" and has the phrase the same meaning for everybody?
    Do you not think the britpop "era" was as much about "image" as it was about music?

And again, when was the last time there was a "good music scene" in Ireland?

I am just interested to know what peoples expectations are.

So what is "good music" and has the phrase the same meaning for everybody?
    Do you not think the britpop "era" was as much about "image" as it was about music?

And again, when was the last time there was a "good music scene" in Ireland?

I am just interested to know what peoples expectations are.

In Ireland? I don't know. Would it be too much to say that there hasn't been a good music scene in Ireland ever? Possibly.

Granted I'm only 26, but in my opinion I don't recall a good scene in Ireland.

I don't think image had 'as much to do' with the scene during britpop. Bands got away with not caring so much about image because their music stood up. Kings of Leon, for example, didn't get much recognition until they smartened up their image, got haircuts and had a shave. I'm not a fan of their's anyway, but their earlier stuff is better that the newer stuff.

We're getting slightly off track as in regard the thread topic, so I'll leave it at that.

P.s. Sorry if I got a bit smart earlier with you. I'm a Man Utd, and it hasn't been a good night. :(

I still stand by my opinion that the coronas are rubbish though. :p

In Ireland? I don't know. Would it be too much to say that there hasn't been a good music scene in Ireland ever? Possibly.

Granted I'm only 26, but in my opinion I don't recall a good scene in Ireland.

I don't think image had 'as much to do' with the scene during britpop. Bands got away with not caring so much about image because their music stood up. Kings of Leon, for example, didn't get much recognition until they smartened up their image, got haircuts and had a shave. I'm not a fan of their's anyway, but their earlier stuff is better that the newer stuff.

We're getting slightly off track as in regard the thread topic, so I'll leave it at that.

P.s. Sorry if I got a bit smart earlier with you. I'm a Man Utd, and it hasn't been a good night. :(

I still stand by my opinion that the coronas are rubbish though. :p
    Fair enough.
    My point however is that "good music" has a different meaning for almost everybody. Good music to me could be crap music to you etc
    Britpop had its own "image" and a very distinct image at that in my opinion. If ireland has never really had a "good music scene" then a couple of bands writing and playing their own music that brings a bit of enjoyment to the masses cant be doing any harm, can it.
    Also, sorry for United loss, it was expected in this corner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bytey

woudnt normally knock an an irish band - but they are pretty rough to be honest ,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I hate their most famous song too. They are trying to be rebellious and cool with the youth....wow you go out and get drunk now and again;that is so hardcore, coz, like I do it too, just like 99% of Ireland. "We're going out tonight" - who gives a ****!

The rest of the songs, I don't know about; but this seriously has the worst lyrics ever, trying way too hard to be cool and rebellious by boasting about getting drunk - how is it rebellious if everyone does it?

It reminds me of Towers of London lead singer trying to be cool on Never Mind the Buzzcocks and getting the piss ripped out of him for trying too hard.

I hate their most famous song too. They are trying to be rebellious and cool with the youth....wow you go out and get drunk now and again;that is so hardcore, coz, like I do it too, just like 99% of Ireland. "We're going out tonight" - who gives a ****!

The rest of the songs, I don't know about; but this seriously has the worst lyrics ever, trying way too hard to be cool and rebellious by boasting about getting drunk - how is it rebellious if everyone does it?

It reminds me of Towers of London lead singer trying to be cool on Never Mind the Buzzcocks and getting the piss ripped out of him for trying too hard.
    THAT song has been out about two/three years (I think). Frankly I dont get why the anger is out there still about it.
    To HAMMER a band because of their lyrics without naming a band which you believe have "good" lyrics is laughable in my opinion. Lyrics mean different things to different people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

The Coronas is just very pedestrian stuff that's radio-friendly and gets played a LOT here because they're Irish - I mean that's really all there is to it. I think any hatred of the band comes from the opportunities the band gets simply because Irish radio is averse to any kind of rock/guitar-based music and will only play at least 4 different bands a year (Blizzards/Coronas/Kings of Leon/Killers). I'm not one of these people who hates a band once they become popular, I love plenty of bands that are radio-friendly and deserve a chance to be heard by a wider audience (Phoenix for example) but won't because they're not Irish or in that tiny Irish radio bracket. I know we're a small country but there isn't much mainstream diversity in people's tastes or radio playlists - even Phantom's best of 2009 voted by it's listeners had something like 5 kings of leon songs in the top 50

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭IveSeenFire

Why on earth should it be locked? Because you personally dislike it?

Thread has no point. I could make treads blaming the recession on any band i feel like as this one did and plenty of idiots would stroll in and say 'yeah their music is gheyyy!!' Offer something constructive or maybe insightful but repeating the same rant about them being the problem in Irish music is a idiotic. Maybe a poll might be a good idea... Do you like the Coronas? Y/N/Dont know etc

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

definitly agree they are brutal theres too much of this crap music in ireland ..
    the problem i think lies with the radio and peoples non openmindedness

look beyond the radio people there is tons of diffent music out there ,and radio stations stop feeding us the same mix cd every day of the same sh**

definitly agree they are brutal theres too much of this crap music in ireland ..
    the problem i think lies with the radio and peoples non openmindedness

look beyond the radio people there is tons of diffent music out there ,and radio stations stop feeding us the same mix cd every day of the same sh**
    Give us a few bands there that you believe should get more airplay?
    I have an open mind, however I also know what I like. I tend not to listen to "mainstream" radio any more anyway, mainly because MOST of the crap on it is R and B/ Very americanised crap. I'd prefer listening to The Coronas over a lot of this anyway.

I have an open mind, however I also know what I like. I tend not to listen to "mainstream" radio any more anyway, mainly because MOST of the crap on it is R and B/ Very americanised crap. I'd prefer listening to The Coronas over a lot of this anyway.

I'll give you a few who I think are relatively popular, pretty radio-friendly and would be able to slot into 2FM/Spin playlists:

Phoenix
    Vampire Weekend
    The Temper Trap
    Passion Pit

Even massive UK bands like Kasabian or Muse don't get played on our mainstream stations though - tis a bit mad

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

every other type of music should get airplay not just other bands..so people might develop a bit more openmindedness

• Advertisement

every other type of music should get airplay not just other bands..so people might develop a bit more openmindedness

It's very conservative either way and they much pretty stick with the 3rd and 4th singles from established hits from big artists rather than a proven smash hit from an unknown artist until it's "safe" to do so. If you like at Radio 1 in the UK they have a tiered amount of playlists depending on audience feedback so the best songs regardless of pre-conceptions get through. Here's the current A-List playlist they have for the station:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/playlist/

Now I haven't heard a few of those tracks but you can see there's a pretty broad mix of genres. Compare it to the FM104 chart where Cheryl bloody Cole's 3rd single is top and Bad Romance is in the top 20 (was released in october 09)

http://www.fm104.ie/music/music-chart.aspx

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement