Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the coronas...they are whats wrong with ireland

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Thread has no point. I could make treads blaming the recession on any band i feel like as this one did and plenty of idiots would stroll in and say 'yeah their music is gheyyy!!' Offer something constructive or maybe insightful but repeating the same rant about them being the problem in Irish music is a idiotic. Maybe a poll might be a good idea... Do you like the Coronas? Y/N/Dont know etc

have a read of the whole thread. No one is really blaming the recession the coronas, also you'll find alot of your points have already been made. But there is alot of decent discussion in here (well less recently) but i don't think this deserves to be locked (just yet!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I think its a bit of, what comes first, chicken or the egg.
    Does the station play the popular music (and is that how the music gets popular) or does it play the less popular music and loose listeners? Its all about money at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

It's very conservative either way and they much pretty stick with the 3rd and 4th singles from established hits from big artists rather than a proven smash hit from an unknown artist until it's "safe" to do so. If you like at Radio 1 in the UK they have a tiered amount of playlists depending on audience feedback so the best songs regardless of pre-conceptions get through. Here's the current A-List playlist they have for the station:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/playlist/

Now I haven't heard a few of those tracks but you can see there's a pretty broad mix of genres. Compare it to the FM104 chart where Cheryl bloody Cole's 3rd single is top and Bad Romance is in the top 20 (was released in october 09)

http://www.fm104.ie/music/music-chart.aspx

it would be great if theyd even give other things a chance over here ,might even have a good impact ,more pubs might open as they might realise there is a bigger following for diffrent types of music ,or those who assumed a certain type of music was all bad or what ever will get to actually hear it without making assumptions first..

104 is terrible id swear they have one mix cd for the whole day ,ive heard the same song maybe 4 times a day ,dont usualyy listen to the radio unless in work where my colleague would have it on .then on goes my itunes .

other countries have radio stations who cater for every type..and they dont look down on people for listning to certain types ,well there is a bigger lack of it at least

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

maybe we should get a new thread goin to give radio stations a kick

music is a big part of my life ,id be a man of many diffrent types ..i would say nearly every type or a least one or two songs from some

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 dimejinky9

This band is fine if you're 17, and listen to spin all day everyday. If you're not that and still listening to them you need your head checked. They're atrociously bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

kippy wrote: »
    I think its a bit of, what comes first, chicken or the egg.
    Does the station play the popular music (and is that how the music gets popular) or does it play the less popular music and loose listeners? Its all about money at the end of the day.
    I thought irish radio station had it in their remit to play a certain percentage of Irish music.
    But Im against djs championing one band over the other. On one station im still hearing songs that are a year old now.
    Give Irish bands a fair crack of the whip. And for anyone around Villagers playing on Joolz next tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭IveSeenFire

Why should radio stations play music that only a tiny percentage of people want to hear?

And who is to say the songs they play is what Everyone wants to hear?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Why should radio stations play music that only a tiny percentage of people want to hear?

Thats rubbish, if that was the case the music industry would come to a halt and the same music would be reproduced over and over again. How do you know you won't like a certain kind of music until you try it. If you don't get the opportunity to hear it, you'll never know. Chart music is generally rubbish, its safe, inoffensive and basically bought in bulk because of record company executives who have spent a fortune publicising it. Young bands are given a shedload of money to produce an album of the songs they have spent all their lives upto that point writing and when it doesn't sell well and these record executives realise they are not going to get their money back they are dispensed with and they move on to the next big thing. There used to be a thing called 2nd album syndrome, most bands don't get that far now!

The only radio station IMO that pushes the boundaries at the moment is Phantom FM. If it didn't exist I wouldn't listen to the radio.

marwelie wrote: »
    Thats rubbish, if that was the case the music industry would come to a halt and the same music would be reproduced over and over again. How do you know you won't like a certain kind of music until you try it. If you don't get the opportunity to hear it, you'll never know. Chart music is generally rubbish, its safe, inoffensive and basically bought in bulk because of record company executives who have spent a fortune publicising it. Young bands are given a shedload of money to produce an album of the songs they have spent all their lives upto that point writing and when it doesn't sell well and these record executives realise they are not going to get their money back they are dispensed with and they move on to the next big thing. There used to be a thing called 2nd album syndrome, most bands don't get that far now!

The only radio station IMO that pushes the boundaries at the moment is Phantom FM. If it didn't exist I wouldn't listen to the radio.
    Yes Phantom really does great work promoting Irish music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭IveSeenFire

And who is to say the songs they play is what Everyone wants to hear?

No one said that. Stations play so called "mainstream" because it is popular and majority want to hear it - thats how they get listeners and make their money through advertising etc. Its a business and they have zero obligation to play what anyone personally wants to hear - they simply play what most people want to hear. How can you expect them to act in any other way?

Everytime I seem to turn on the radio they are on. Even heard them on R Na G once singing one of their songs in Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Everytime I seem to turn on the radio they are on. Even heard them on R Na G once singing one of their songs in Irish

In fairness that's more than many of our superstar bands do for Gaeilge. All credit to them for that IMO.

(even if the song isn't the greatest!)

Kirnsy wrote: »
    In fairness that's more than many of our superstar bands do for Gaeilge. All credit to them for that IMO.

(even if the song isn't the greatest!)
    Agreed but its like ground hog day at the moment. Again early this morning they were on. It really does my head in when djs latch on to one band almost to the exclusion of others. Not saying this is always the case but just dont think other irish bands are being given a fair go

• Registered Users Posts: 22 agh!!

[QUOTE=rteguidelover - the Corona's - are a terrible band and shoudn't be where they are

I think most will agree[/QUOTE]

Meh...they wouldn't be so popular if the Irish youth thought they were a 'terrible band'...therefore I doubt if most WILL agree

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

Back on to the Corona's - are a terrible band and shoudn't be where they are

i totataly agree with you man and a point has being made about one if the lads mam is mary black . . you really can see how they got their name out ther and there first few good gigs and their gear probly its the reality, if one of their mams wasnt mary black for some strabge reason i think they wouldnt of been wear they are now? but maybe their" talent " got them to were they are but still using their mams name and contacts as a stepping is not not a step i would like to take in getting my music out there id prefear to work and put my blood swet and tears into music

i read over this thread and the same argument is being made

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

lordgoat wrote: »
    But as ever it's easier to criticise than to celebrate.

How is it ?. One is as just easily done as the other.

That crowd on again. Its like groundhog day at this stage. I have heard of stations championing bands but this is getting a bit excessive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Their new song.. The ballad. Oh dear god. It is absolute cringe.

He sings through his nose. Who the hell is backing this talentless bunch???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I recently sat in a room with "corona people", I was drinking Corona Extra at the time, surreal I know, but the beer made the experience tolerable.

As music it's paint-by-numbers pop-rock, no real discussion to be had on it, but they do have an intangible "D4" quality about them. That same intangible quality oozed from the aforementioned "Corona Pople" as it does from - imo - The Hills, clothing brands with ampersands in them and Cricket. Ice coffee is fine though.

I think my principal compliant about the Coronas and people like them is that they place importance in trivial things, also they're d!*k-heads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Jeez, this threads a bit harsh isn't it. I mean singling out one single band and associating them with all that D4 crap isn't really fair. I had the misfourtune of persuing a higher education in a D4 area college, and I know first hand how annoying most of those people can be.
    But at the end of the day, the D4 heads have been around a lot longer than The Coronas have.
    And in defence of the D4 heads themselves, they can't help it. That's just how they are, it's a cultural thing, just as people from other parts of Dublin are a certain way, or people from other parts of the country are. Sure in a group they can be quite something to deal with, but one on one they're not all that bad, are they?

Anyway, I know The Coronas sing about trivial things and aren't exactly banging on about world peace and poverty and what not, a la Bono and U2, but I know who I'd be aiming my car at if I had the chance, Mary Black wouldn't be shopping for a black dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

At least Bono and Geldof are doing some good. The Coronas are just ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 TheCapedCrusade

Jaysus, you's are being a bit harsh. I played football with the lead singer the other night and he's one of the nicest lads I've met. If you don't like don't listen to them, the same way I stay away from that lady gaga s***e.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

nommm wrote: »
    At least Bono and Geldof are doing some good. The Coronas are just ****.

Really? Because last time I checked they were filthy rich and Africa was still starving.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement