Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decision help please

Options
  • 10-01-2010 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

I love street figher 4 but never used a joystick before really. i have the chance to get a Street Fighter iv Tournament Stick but i really want to learn how to use one what should i do

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I love street figher 4 but never used a joystick before really. i have the chance to get a Street Fighter iv Tournament Stick but i really want to learn how to use one what should i do

Well, if you want to learn, and have the chance to get one, just get it and learn using it?

I've played both stick and pad in my time and I had to relearn stick about a year ago. Worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Stylesclash1702

i got it 133 seems a bit much but i got one

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Which format did you get it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Go into training mode
    Pick ryu
    Do a hadouken.
    Repeat until you can do 20 in a row with messing up. if you mess up, start again.
    Now try it the opposite direction

When you master that, start on the shoryukens.

As for gripping the stick, there are many different ways, to do it, so find one that is comfortable for you, but try to make sure you have leverage in every direction.
    There are vids on youtube showing you a variety of the common holds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

If your new enough to the game it'd be better to learn stick now rather than get to a decent level and then start learning, which is really fucking frustrating. However having said that its fun playing on stick, I never felt the need to learn one though till I become involved in this community.

heres my experience learning stick (which I still am, and will be for awhile, sigh )

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055738608

• Advertisement

Go into training mode
    Pick ryu
    Do a hadouken.
    Repeat until you can do 20 in a row with messing up. if you mess up, start again.
    Now try it the opposite direction

When you master that, start on the shoryukens.

As for gripping the stick, there are many different ways, to do it, so find one that is comfortable for you, but try to make sure you have leverage in every direction.
    There are vids on youtube showing you a variety of the common holds.

This is really good advice right here.

Don't forget to do the same with charge moves too.

Im playing street fighter 4 since it came out using a mad catz fightpad but i really want to learn how to play. I got it for the xbox but i will be using it on the pc version till super street fighter 4 comes out. I have only one question i bought an 8 way gate cause i heard it had a square gate. This may be a stupid question but what tools do i need to open the stick id like to get it before the stick arrives
    Thanks

Im playing street fighter 4 since it came out using a mad catz fightpad but i really want to learn how to play. I got it for the xbox but i will be using it on the pc version till super street fighter 4 comes out. I have only one question i bought an 8 way gate cause i heard it had a square gate. This may be a stupid question but what tools do i need to open the stick id like to get it before the stick arrives
    Thanks

Normal screw drivers are all you need.

However I felt no need to mod my TE at all, give it a shot first before you commit to modding. They're really good.

But i have used 8 ways before and could pull off moves. I have a hori fighting stick 3 and used it two times cause i couldnt get used to the square gate. I am great with people like guile and balrog (all charge) but anything with a down to forward movement its really hard really hard (well i find it hard) and im trying to main gouken and abel so most their moves have these movements

But i have used 8 ways before and could pull off moves. I have a hori fighting stick 3 and used it two times cause i couldnt get used to the square gate. I am great with people like guile and balrog (all charge) but anything with a down to forward movement its really hard really hard (well i find it hard) and im trying to main gouken and abel so most their moves have these movements

Each to their own :) I have no problem with either on the TE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

I feel I must represent for us PAD players out there. I have listened carefully to all these stick boys and I have come to the determination that it doesn't matter. It really comes down to your own preference with a couple of exceptions. I think that a stick is a better option for charge characters (Ultras are a clear example) as its easier to move back-forward-back on a stick (I seem to have great trouble with this on a pad - must be my fat fingers). That being said, I dont believe the opposite is true at all. I know plenty of shoto stick players who can kick my ass as well.

Unlike some of my brethren, I did not learn to play the original SF in the arcade. I was introduced to it on the SNES (turbo) and ever since I have just been much better on a pad. I have tried to use a stick and learn on it but as I pick RYU (and have little desire to change that) I don't believe that changing to a stick would provide me with any better playing experience or advantage so I don't.

As for it meaning you will play better - ask Cobelcog ;). He uses a pad - flawlessly it seems. I will say though that the fightpad (madcatz) is far superior to any standard pad. If thats not an option, then the Ps3 one is far better (for me) than the xbox one. The D-pad is just better.

I'll probably get shot for this =p

ayjayirl wrote: »

I'll probably get shot for this =p

Not at all. Fighting game players are like jedi, they all have their unique hand modified lightsabers joysticks.

Personally I can't get the precision I need out of a pad to pull off a cancel combo with a shoto but that is literally just me.

i like the fightpad when i want a move i can do it no matter what the move. when it come to combos and cancels i just havent played die hard in a long time. I want to try the stick cause people says it easier and i want to be able to get more out of my street fighter and fighting games in general its a bit of a personal challlenge. But of i had to pick the perfect pad the fightpad would be the way to go. The joystick ill let you know in a week or so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

How can you expect to get used to it after using it twice?!

By twice i mean hours in the challenge mode doing the moves over and over trying combos and i just didnt like the gate im not saying i wasnt hitting the moves AT ALL but not to the amount i would have liked maybe it was im not good with joysticks but maybe it was the gate ill know when the new stick comes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Fair enough, hope it works out for you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

By twice i mean hours in the challenge mode doing the moves over and over trying combos and i just didnt like the gate im not saying i wasnt hitting the moves AT ALL but not to the amount i would have liked maybe it was im not good with joysticks but maybe it was the gate ill know when the new stick comes

I do like octo gates or whatever they're called but in all honesty I've used square and they're actually very playable as non charge characters. It takes time to get used to it but you'll find there's not much in it once you've played for a while with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

In a random paradox of events I have more issues with my charge characters on square gate than I do with qcf's.

Just mainly due to mi****ting the middle part, I'm missing loads of sonic booms and flash kicks , or chunnies fb and sbk. And find chunnies anti air head stomp hard due to missing that middle point to get a perfect down.

I just find that physical indication that I've hit the perfect middle point for up down left right handy on an octo. After using a d-pad for so long its a good stepping stone I...hope. Still have to get one, but I play a lot better on terry's stick at the casual's and I'm usually only messing around at the casuals compared to how I'd try and play at home with my one.

Regarding the whole stick to a pad whatever suits you point. I'm fully supportive of pads for damn sure. But I've always acknowledged that ultimately at the end of the day a player can get the most from an arcade stick. You can use more of your hand etc and there are some higher level techniques that are only possible on stick.

But I was content with sticking to pad anyway, t'was only after getting involved with the meet ups did I really become interested in them. I also began to feel I hit a wall in terms of what I could execute on pad.

My hope is to be ultimately a more in control player once I've mastered stick than I would be if I stuck to pad.

Advertisement