Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How reliable are Xbox 360s?

• 10-01-2010 8:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of buying one and was wondering if they are still as prone to RROD or other problems as they used to be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

People are saying the newer ones don't really have that problem. I've had a launch 20gb (no problems), traded it in about 10 months ago for a 60gb jasper (no problems) and my brother has a 60gb jasper too (no problems).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I bought my xbox 3 years ago, and it only just failed on me last week. Sent it back to MS, two weeks later i have a new console back at my place. New ones are much better as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

It was really only the earlier models which had the RROD issues. The newer ones are fine. Anyway, MS give you a 3 year warranty if you get the RROD so there's nothing really to worry about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

get a brand new elite off the shelf and it should be hunky dory.
    the very first models released were in reality, prototypes. the difference even inside a machine from 2005 and one from 2007 is ludicrous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,916 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Dont buy a used. Between older models RRoD, and that Xbox Live Mass Banning*, you could be buying a lemon. Buy New.

Lots of people got their consoles permanently banned for modding them. There has seen been a huge surge of cheap 360s up for grabs on ebay and everything: theyre pretty worthless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Not very.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

sorry to be a party pooper but i bought a new xbox arcade from HMV on 18th Dec, rrod'ed on christmas day. i only bought it as a replacement for my first console thats giving trouble(but not RROD unfortunately). i now have my nonRROD-xbox packed up ready to go, praying that first UPS can come soon(weather is doing wreck id say) and later pray that M$ just replace my ill xbox. im now xbox-less all thanks to bad console design.

if you're serious about gaming, xbox is still the way to go but if other features and relibility is more important, go PS3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Went through 4 of them before getting a refund and buying the more expensive "elite" version which has (so far) been fine. They're not that reliable but you do hear of less issues with newer models

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

As long as you get a new one you should be fine. its just the launch consoles and ones made in the first few months were terrible and a 3 warranty for RROD is a big plus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Mine lasted for 2.8 years, MS sent me a refurb that has been working perfectly since.
    So for me pretty reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

my 1st 360 - 60gb model lasted with no probs for 2 years and i sold it to upgrade to the super elite - 250gb! i have never had any probs but most LAUNCH consoles were dodgy!

imo the 360 is a reliable and affordable console!

if you buy one you wont be disappointed - very good console!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Still rockin' my 360 Elite from November 08 with no issues as of yet. As others have said, just buy new and you should be fine.

Worst case scenario it RRoDs at some point and you have to return it but the process is completely painless, not to mention free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Had one in the early days and also had the RROD. Seems like 2 in 3 people have had to send their console back to MS. Shoddy workmanship Ted, SHODDY!

Whereas my PS3 has been bulletproof.

Agricola wrote: »
    Had one in the early days and also had the RROD. Seems like 2 in 3 people have had to send their console back to MS. Shoddy workmanship Ted, SHODDY!

Whereas my PS3 has been bulletproof.

where i agree that MS were very shoody and still are with the 360, at least they are fairly easy going with the repair process, the ps3 is nowhere near bulletproof, YLOD, disc drives going, etc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    where i agree that MS were very shoody and still are with the 360, at least they are fairly easy going with the repair process, the ps3 is nowhere near bulletproof, YLOD, disc drives going, etc!
    good point corcaigh! i have had a 60gb ps3 launch model ylod on me! not getting into which is better though YAWN lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

my first 360 (elite) lasted around 2 months before RROD. new one they sent me is working fine over 2 years later but it takes at least 2 attempts to load forza 3 and is starting to freeze up every so often so could be on the way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Moved to xbox forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mine was almost 3 years old when it RROD'ed on Christmas Eve.
    I used it as an excuse to get an Elite.

The difference between what I was used to and HD graphics is incredible - wish I'd upgraded sooner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Mine lasted 2 years then died a massive fail. Luckily the manager in Game was sound and helped me out.
    My new one is working great and if you pay an extra 30 quid game will give you some sort of insurance thing which entitles you to a new one if it breaks again without sending to MS.

Everyone I know who has had an Xbox bar 1 person who only uses his for watching AVI's and the odd game has gone through at least 1 RROD. Some have had two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Overheal wrote: »
    Lots of people got their consoles permanently banned for modding them. There has seen been a huge surge of cheap 360s up for grabs on ebay and everything: theyre pretty worthless.

If you ask on ebay, and are lied to, then you can get your money back. I bought a second hand one on ebay that was already RROD'ing, it was in warranty and I got a replacement for free. So new xbox (refurb, with full warranty) for €50, thank you :D

I've not had a single RROD yet though I don't seriously game all the time there have been stretches where the console was left on for days :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

I'm on my 10 th xbox if that answers you question but at the same time i've only ever paid for 2, excellence service by my local gameshop which always takes back my broken xbox and gives me out a new one (its usally within the year)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭GisforGrenade

Some used consoles can be good, I bought mine off a friend, he had already gone through the red ring of death and had got it replaced, so I knew it was good. But I wouldn't trust a cheap xbox off Ebay.

No mechanical product is without faults, and i don't think the YLOD is anywhere near as bad as the RROD, you can take posts on forums with a pinch of salt, so i'd go by people i actually know, and only one has had a broken PS3(which he kept in a cramped space and left COVERED with dust) while i know a few with broken 360's.

I have both and i prefer my PS3, mainly because of rechargeable controllers, free online, built in wireless etc....

They are in effect though almost identical, but one thing i would say to someone is DON'T look at the cheaper price for an Xbox and think it's a bargain in comparison, if you want to play online(E60 p/a plus another E70 for the wireless adapter to connect to the internet) and/or play a lot(batterys for controllers, even the rechargable battery packs have limited life lines i found out after i opened the packaging :rolleyes:) they are in effect the same price. Look at the exclusives and what your friends might have is the best way to decide.

I know too many who picked an Xbox because they taught it was cheaper, you'll pay the difference again to get it in line with a PS3's starting features

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭!MAVERICK!

You never know what might happen to a 360 tomorrow..... I have been through 3 Halo 3 limited edition ones..... They were just completely unreliable!!! all 3 failed within 8 months!

However i got a refund on the last one. and am now a proud owner of a 250 Gig Super Elite , The xbox's today now have 'Jasper chip sets' that make them a hell of alot more reliable. They run much quieter, cooler and smoother! Im very happer with the Super Elite i have now, With the 250 Gig Hardrive im able to install alot of games onto it so they run without any noise whatsoever!

No mechanical product is without faults, and i don't think the YLOD is anywhere near as bad as the RROD, you can take posts on forums with a pinch of salt, so i'd go by people i actually know, and only one has had a broken PS3(which he kept in a cramped space and left COVERED with dust) while i know a few with broken 360's.

I have both and i prefer my PS3, mainly because of rechargeable controllers, free online, built in wireless etc....

They are in effect though almost identical, but one thing i would say to someone is DON'T look at the cheaper price for an Xbox and think it's a bargain in comparison, if you want to play online(E60 p/a plus another E70 for the wireless adapter to connect to the internet) and/or play a lot(batterys for controllers, even the rechargable battery packs have limited life lines i found out after i opened the packaging :rolleyes:) they are in effect the same price. Look at the exclusives and what your friends might have is the best way to decide.

I know too many who picked an Xbox because they taught it was cheaper, you'll pay the difference again to get it in line with a PS3's starting features

snore, you just had to have your say on how great the ps3 is. both have their qualities, leave it at that. i never said the ylod was as bad as RROD, hell no! but the thought that the PS3 is bulletproof is crazy, the wii is the most relible console on the market by some distance Id say, largely due to the fact that nintendo are the grand-daddys of the industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I got my 360 in the summer of 2006 and have'nt had any problems. (God i hope that line does'nt come back to haunt me.:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

even the rechargable battery packs have limited life lines i found out after i opened the packaging :rolleyes:) they are in effect the same price. Look at the exclusives and what your friends might have is the best way to decide.
    Disagree about the rechargeable battery packs, mine has been perfect for 3+ years.
    But, you summed it all perfectly. Exclusives/System features and what you'll be playing with your friends are the two real deciders between both fantastic consoles.

I got my 360 in the summer of 2006 and have'nt had any problems. (God i hope that line does'nt come back to haunt me.:D)

i think it might! I'd nearly trade it in now if I were you for safety because your definitely out of RROD warranty.

Disagree about the rechargeable battery packs, mine has been perfect for 3+ years.
    But, you summed it all perfectly. Exclusives/System features and what you'll be playing with your friends are the two real deciders between both fantastic consoles.

yep, official battery packs are very good I find, unofficial one though are not! i love the fact the ps3 has normal usb connections and no battery pack BUT they seem to go flat a lot fairly soon in their life span and whereas a 360 joypad may cost 30 quid plus 10/15 euro for the battery pack, the ps3 joypad costs 50+ euro anyway.

but yea fully agree, look at each console's features and games and decide whats right for you personally. If you are that worried about relibility, PS3 is your winner Im afraid provided I presume that wii doesnt enter the equation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

the ps3 joypad costs 50+ euro anyway.

dualshock 3 is 45 euro. ;)

Advertisement