Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How reliable are Xbox 360s?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

ive seen them for 60 quid! but id say 45-50 is the norm. i even checked toys.ie, smyths website before i wrote that and they are down from 60 to 50 on the site so wasnt far off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

No mechanical product is without faults, and i don't think the YLOD is anywhere near as bad as the RROD, you can take posts on forums with a pinch of salt, so i'd go by people i actually know, and only one has had a broken PS3(which he kept in a cramped space and left COVERED with dust) while i know a few with broken 360's.

I have both and i prefer my PS3, mainly because of rechargeable controllers, free online, built in wireless etc....

They are in effect though almost identical, but one thing i would say to someone is DON'T look at the cheaper price for an Xbox and think it's a bargain in comparison, if you want to play online(E60 p/a plus another E70 for the wireless adapter to connect to the internet) and/or play a lot(batterys for controllers, even the rechargable battery packs have limited life lines i found out after i opened the packaging :rolleyes:) they are in effect the same price. Look at the exclusives and what your friends might have is the best way to decide.

I know too many who picked an Xbox because they taught it was cheaper, you'll pay the difference again to get it in line with a PS3's starting features

Not trying to start a PS3/Xbox argument at all but just some informed advice...

3 small things -

There are numerous press reports, blogs etc. that have confirmed there are plenty of issues with PS3s, particularly lasers and it is more often than not the case that Sony won't replace them out of the year or so warranty

You can buy online subs for an Live for around £28 and it is generally accepted the Live experience is worth the money.

Online play is generally better with a wired connection so thus, not everyone needs wireless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    i think it might! I'd nearly trade it in now if I were you for safety because your definitely out of RROD warranty.

Maybe i will. I remember one of the guys at GAME telling me i could trade in my 360 towards an Elite.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

I've had mine since release day and it's never missed a beat. It gets fairly heavy use too, reading this thread i think I was a lucky one. People saying they've broken 4 or 5, that has to be down to neglect or something:eek:

mooman wrote: »
    I've had mine since release day and it's never missed a beat. It gets fairly heavy use too, reading this thread i think I was a lucky one. People saying they've broken 4 or 5, that has to be down to neglect or something:eek:

no it aint, mine now isnt RROD but the picture doesnt come on but there is audio. it has 18 months old and i had it in its own, uncluttered section of a tv unit thingy. i even had it raised slightly with 2 pieces of window upstand to allow maximum air flow.

After that I admit I overheated it several times to get it working again but before that, it was very well looked after as Im sure most are. just because you havent had problems yet doesnt mean the problem doesnt exist!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

dualshock 3 is 45 euro. ;)

€35 including shipping on videogamesplus.ca

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    no it aint, mine now isnt RROD but the picture doesnt come on but there is audio. it has 18 months old and i had it in its own, uncluttered section of a tv unit thingy. i even had it raised slightly with 2 pieces of window upstand to allow maximum air flow.

After that I admit I overheated it several times to get it working again but before that, it was very well looked after as Im sure most are. just because you havent had problems yet doesnt mean the problem doesnt exist!

But are they absolutely guarenteed to fail or is it just a higher probability of it happening?

Thinking back i remember the red ring came on when i turned on the console a couple of times of the years since i bought it. I just turned the console off and turned it on again and it started normally with no problems.

i doubt its guaranteed but yea, seems as though there is a high chance of it happening no matter how well you treat your console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

It was really only the earlier models which had the RROD issues. The newer ones are fine. Anyway, MS give you a 3 year warranty if you get the RROD so there's nothing really to worry about.

See thats what i thought when i bought mine and im sure other folks thought the same. I got mine in april 2008 around the time and for GTA4. I knew all about the RROD and ive learned since about the E74 etc. I never played mine much till over the xmas period and well it packed itself in. So the only yime i could play the fricking thing it decided to die on me.

But yes theres a 3 year warranty on them if theres problems and UPS will come and take it away and u get it back ive heard in 2-3 weeks.

Its funny coz i was so blown away by the xbox on HD mode on a widescreen TV that i was thinking, wow who needs PC games anyway..

Advertisement