Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

too dangerous to cycle to work

Options
  • 10-01-2010 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

I live in waterford city, do you think it would be too dangerous to cycle to work at 7am in the morning with this weather?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

Id only want to be in a 4 wheeled contraption with a roof and crumple zones in this weather :p

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

You might get useful feedback on this question in the cycling forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I live in waterford city, do you think it would be too dangerous to cycle to work at 7am in the morning with this weather?

I personally think anyone who does needs to get their head examined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

Sorry I meant to post this in the weather forum, can you move it please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GSF

People were cycling last week in Dubln (on Thursday & Friday anyway). I suppose it depends on the type of bike you have (a mountain bike might be ok, racer probably not). Ice is a bigger problem than snow, but snow will just slow you down. Plus the road spray is the snow melts will make for a rather nasty experience.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I wouldn't advise it. Snow shouldn't be a problem (it just requires more effort) but ice is very difficult to manage. If you cycle over black ice, and turn, or pull either of your brakes, you are more than likely going to fall as the bike will skid from under you.

If you must cycle, expect to take the lane more often as it is often much less slippery in the middle of the lane than in the left edge of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

What kind of bike have you?

A mountain bike will handle differently to a racing bike.
    However no matter what your skills and tyres you can be on your ass before you even realize what just happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

don't do it

Advertisement