Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amoy - Thai Green Curry Paste - where are you?

Options
  • 10-01-2010 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My favourite curry paste is in Tesco no longer!!!

Does anyone know where you can get this Amoy curry paste? Even online?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yeah, Tesco's gone to ****e.
    So many things not in my local Tesco that used to be and so many other products available in other stores but not mine:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Glowing wrote: »
    Hi all,

My favourite curry paste is in Tesco no longer!!!

Does anyone know where you can get this Amoy curry paste? Even online?

Thanks!!

Can't help you with finding the Amoy paste. Have been looking for it myself and got the Tesco Green Curry Paste to do me in the meantime. It was really nice but I had to use an extra tablespoon of it to get the desired spiciness. Let us know if you find the Amoy anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I used the Amoy before but I recently got a tub of Mae Play in an Asian market, found it much nicer. Far superior to the amoy. Its a thai brand as far as I know

Dont know if that helps. probably not

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

just a quick question lads... you are cooking the paste for a few minytes before you add the coconut milk/yogurt/whatever aren't you?

if not, it doesnt taste as good and you have to use a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I think I saw it in Supervalue, or one of the asian shops near Jervis St....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Seaneh wrote: »
    just a quick question lads... you are cooking the paste for a few minytes before you add the coconut milk/yogurt/whatever aren't you?

if not, it doesnt taste as good and you have to use a lot more.

I usually cook it for 4-5 mins(sometimes with a chopped chilli) before adding anything. I did get distracted whilst cooking one day and made the mistake of not cooking it first. Your right it definitely wasn't as nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

The Mae Ploy from the asian markets is much nicer than the amoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

Roesy wrote: »
    I usually cook it for 4-5 mins(sometimes with a chopped chilli) before adding anything. I did get distracted whilst cooking one day and made the mistake of not cooking it first. Your right it definitely wasn't as nice.

I'm confussed on the whole cooking the paste before you add coconut milk?

I did a Thai cooking course and was told to add a small/spoonful bit of coconut milk and then paste.

Do you mean heat the paste first and then coconut milk?

If so does it bring out the spices better?

I find Thai Gold products to be very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The mae ploy stuff is good alright. I hang around the asian shops to see what the Asians are buying themselves! There are often massive selections of soy sauce etc but they all seem to get the same few brands. The butchers in killiney shopping centre have mae ploy sauces last time I went in, I think the philipino shop opposite walters pub in dun laoghaire also have it.

Dunnes do big bottles of mae ploy sweet chilli sauce, not hot enough for my liking but nice, I just add in more chillis to the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Thanks for all your replies! I think I have the Mae Ploy Massaman Paste but I wasn't really impressed. I didnt think there was much depth of flavour (could be different for the green paste though)

I think the Amoy Paste is absolutely gorgeous though, you can get a lovely deep flavour from it - yeah I do fry it for a min or two first in a little coconut milke before I add the rest of the ingredients ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Thanks for all your replies! I think I have the Mae Ploy Massaman Paste but I wasn't really impressed. I didnt think there was much depth of flavour (could be different for the green paste though)

I think the Amoy Paste is absolutely gorgeous though, you can get a lovely deep flavour from it - yeah I do fry it for a min or two first in a little coconut milke before I add the rest of the ingredients ....

I've never tied the massaman one ( not a big lover of fennel ) but i can vouch for the red curry Mae Ploy. After having it I've a feeling its been used in curries i've had previously out of some Thai Restraunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Hmm still haven't found the Amoy Paste - had a look in 2 Supervalues during the week. Might try Superquinn too ...

If anyone see's it, please drop me a line!!

Oh by the way, I tried a gorgeous Massaman paste recently - it's called Thai Gold - got it in the 'fancy' new veg shop in Dundrum Old Shopping Centre. Was really gorgeous. I have the green equivalent so must try that this week.

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Oh by the way, I tried a gorgeous Massaman paste recently - it's called Thai Gold - got it in the 'fancy' new veg shop in Dundrum Old Shopping Centre. Was really gorgeous. I have the green equivalent so must try that this week.
    I'm pretty sure I've bought Thai Gold stuff in Dunnes before now as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

make your own paste and freeze it in an ice cube maker. u will never buy paste again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Lizp

Hi Amoy Red and green thai curry paste is only sold in Morrisons , Waitrose , Co OP, and Sainburys ! Not sold in ROI supermarkets , I have been looking for the last two Years for it.Used to buy the Blue Dragon Curry Paste from Dunne Stores before they changed the Packaging . Even emailed Company but sadly No reply. I will start checking Asian Supermarkets. It was the best Thai curry i ever tasted with the exception of the Thai Edge Restaurant in Broad St Birmingham ! even currys i had in Thailand didnt come close !

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I've seen both the red & green pastes in a local supermarket in Skerries (well a couple of months ago anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Lizp wrote: »
    Hi Amoy Red and green thai curry paste is only sold in Morrisons , Waitrose , Co OP, and Sainburys ! Not sold in ROI supermarkets , I have been looking for the last two Years for it.Used to buy the Blue Dragon Curry Paste from Dunne Stores before they changed the Packaging . Even emailed Company but sadly No reply. I will start checking Asian Supermarkets. It was the best Thai curry i ever tasted with the exception of the Thai Edge Restaurant in Broad St Birmingham ! even currys i had in Thailand didnt come close !
    Mae Ploy Green paste better than those you listed imo, i haven't had red, but people have rated it highly too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

darrenh wrote: »
    I'm confussed on the whole cooking the paste before you add coconut milk?

I did a Thai cooking course and was told to add a small/spoonful bit of coconut milk and then paste.

Do you mean heat the paste first and then coconut milk?

If so does it bring out the spices better?

I find Thai Gold products to be very good.

I did a course as well. You can use a bit of the coconut cream (thick bit from the can of coconut milk) to cook the paste before adding the milk, or you can use oil to cook the paste.

Also this Coconut Milk is excellent Chaokoh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

rubadub wrote: »
    The mae ploy stuff is good alright. I hang around the asian shops to see what the Asians are buying themselves!

I'll be honest Rub, that sounds a lil' dodgy.
    Hanging around Asian shops, looking at Asians.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Mellor wrote: »
    i haven't had red, but people have rated it highly too

Its awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I've never actually had a thai red curry, strange I know, but I first had a savage green curry and I've never wanted to vary from it, unless i was going very different like tomato based or jungle curry.

I might make one soon, is it just the process as green just with different paste

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

guys
    make your own curry paste, its very simple to make up a big batch and it holds for weeks in the fridge

Advertisement