Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M&S 6 Deep Filled Mince Pies - 75c WARNING.

Options
  • 10-01-2010 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭

Bought 6 Mince Pies the other day from Jervis M&S for 75c... so did my friends, i dont think its a coincidence because numbers speak for themselves, but 5 of us are now sick in bed with what seems to be food poisoning, we ate them with a squirt of Nestle "Tip Top" cream in a can i think. Just a heads up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Xinkai wrote: »
    Bought 6 Mince Pies the other day from Jervis M&S for 75c... so did my friends, i dont think its a coincidence because numbers speak for themselves, but 5 of us are now sick in bed with what seems to be food poisoning, we ate them with a squirt of Nestle "Tip Top" cream in a can i think. Just a heads up.

So maybe the cream ???

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

More likely the cream tbh..! ;)

Moved to Consumer Issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

bit hasty assuming it was the pies

but either way, if you have the box, and possibly any pies that weren't eaten, bring them back to M&S they will fill out an official form and and will be sent to the supplier for further investigation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

ok will do sorry about posting in wrong section.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Are you sure it's food poisoning? Food poisoning is quite a severe thing to have and a lot of people confuse a bit of stomach bug or just being a bit sick with food poisoning.

But also as said above, it could just as easily be the cream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,540 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Not really a lot in mince pies to cause problems, possible but not really very likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I would suspect the cream to be honest. There is not much that would make you sick with a mince pie. Throw away the cream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Definately (if it is food poisoning) it's the cream rather than the Mince Pies.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's quite hard to prove food poisoning and most people confuse it with an upset stomach or the 10 pints they had the night before.

If you genuinely believe the pies to be at fault, then contact your local Environmental Health Officer.

dudara wrote: »
    It's quite hard to prove food poisoning and most people confuse it with an upset stomach or the 10 pints they had the night before.

If you genuinely believe the pies to be at fault, then contact your local Environmental Health Officer.

I don't drink at all, so not mixed with alcohol, Brought the items back to M&S today, the cream was shocking, 71 days past it's BBE, i just didn't see it, & it looked fresh from the can, & tasted normal. M&S have given me a 50 euro voucher & an apology, so i'm happy & i'll leave this thread o be locked...

50 euro worth of 75c mince pies.... hmmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I don't drink at all, so not mixed with alcohol, Brought the items back to M&S today, the cream was shocking, 71 days past it's BBE, i just didn't see it, & it looked fresh from the can, & tasted normal. M&S have given me a 50 euro voucher & an apology, so i'm happy & i'll leave this thread o be locked...

50 euro worth of 75c mince pies.... hmmmmm

M&S don't sell non-M&S branded foods etc. so how did you pull that one?

M&S have given me a 50 euro voucher & an apology, so i'm happy & i'll leave this thread o be locked...

do you mind me asking which branch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I thought the warning was 75c. :confused:

M&S Brand Deep Filled Mince Pies
    Nestle Whipped Cream

They Gave me the 50 euro voucher from Jervis Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Jev/N wrote: »
    M&S don't sell non-M&S branded foods etc. so how did you pull that one?

Yes they do:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8341625.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I was going to suggest that since you have 1 mince pie left, one of you eat it and see what happens.....:p
    But I think the 71 days past expiry cream would probably have been the thing that did it, almost certainly!
    just think, you have probably lost a bit of weight now after the voms, so you can fill up again on some more mince pies!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Did you buy the cream there? When?

just think, you have probably lost a bit of weight now after the voms, so you can fill up again on some more mince pies!!! :D

and now they're only 50c a box ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

M&S Brand Deep Filled Mince Pies
    Nestle Whipped Cream

They Gave me the 50 euro voucher from Jervis Street.

Wait, you bought the ancient Nestle Whipped Cream there too?

If so - you were happy with a 50€ voucher?! 5 of you were down with food poisoning and you are happy to be fobbed off with a voucher?!

Maybe I am missing something ...?

tommy21 wrote: »
    Wait, you bought the ancient Nestle Whipped Cream there too?

If so - you were happy with a 50€ voucher?! 5 of you were down with food poisoning and you are happy to be fobbed off with a voucher?!

Maybe I am missing something ...?

the whipped cream was bought elsewhere (I have a fair idea of where too, possibly another supermarket in the Jervis Centre), M&S only sell their own brand over here, the small selection of branded products is a UK only thing

• Advertisement

the whipped cream was bought elsewhere (I have a fair idea of where too, possibly another supermarket in the Jervis Centre), M&S only sell their own brand over here, the small selection of branded products is a UK only thing

Ah I knew I was missing something :o:p cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭happymondays

im confused now.
    if the cream wasnt bought in M&S and was 71 days out of date which was obviously the problem. why
    1) bring the pies back to M&S
    2) did M&S give a 50euro voucher and what did they apolgise for?
    3) did the op not bring the cream back to the place where he bought it
    and compain there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,540 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Because the cream had been sitting in a press for a couple of months, the OP doesnt say when it was bought. It was either a waste of time bringing it back to the shop or, if they had bought it recently, the shop wasn't the sort to give refunds. So M&S were a better bet. They accepted the story about the mince pies and being either a reputable company with good customer relations, or they got a manager who hadn't a clue about what would give you food poisoning, they gave a refund.

Again i'll say it, i bought the cream & mince pies thursday, from M&S in jervis street, i have the reciept, not anymore, they took it when i returned the foods, it was more than likely the cream, but saying that, the mince pies had 6 days till the BBE date, 5 till the display expiry.

wyndham wrote: »

Has that been implemented yet though?

I dunno how they could be selling 70 day out of date cream, if that story is only from November and the decision was yet to be implemented?

I thought you were the op, you are not. Why answer if you don't know? Xinkai, why did you accept so little from M&S, 5 of you got food poisoning? Glad your ok, just if it were me, I'd be force feeding the manager cream and mince pies for such an insulting offer:P

Again i'll say it, i bought the cream & mince pies thursday, from M&S in jervis street, i have the reciept, not anymore, they took it when i returned the foods, it was more than likely the cream, but saying that, the mince pies had 6 days till the BBE date, 5 till the display expiry.

It was definitely the cream. I often buy fish and chicken (raw) on the BBE date which has been reduced and it's always fine. Things are generally dated so even if you're dead on or over the date by a few days, there should be a problem

Case closed ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

do you mind me asking which branch?

Read the OP.

testicle wrote: »
    Read the OP.

:eek:

• Advertisement

tommy21 wrote: »
    I thought you were the op, you are not. Why answer if you don't know? Xinkai, why did you accept so little from M&S, 5 of you got food poisoning? Glad your ok, just if it were me, I'd be force feeding the manager cream and mince pies for such an insulting offer:P

I know for a fact that M&S Jervis only sell their own brand, so the cream was not bought there.

Advertisement