Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audio Books

Options
  • 10-01-2010 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭

I'm Currently listening to the Road. It's fantasic! Can't wait to see the movie now. But i don't know what to listen to after it! Anyone know of any good audio books? Anyone know of any good on line stores?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TskTsk

I'm Currently listening to the Road. It's fantasic! Can't wait to see the movie now. But i don't know what to listen to after it! Anyone know of any good audio books? Anyone know of any good on line stores?

There's an unabridged recording of The Count of Monte Cristo on iTunes. Production-wise, it's not the most polished recording you'll ever hear as the narrator doesn't always correct/edit his mistakes, but it's over 51 hours long and it only costs about €2.

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell is set around the same era as The Count of Monte Cristo, but it's a fantasy / alternate history novel. I loved it over all, but it did take a little bit of persistence at times. It's about 32 hours long.

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is also worth a listen, although some of it may be hard to get your head around (as mentioned on another thread) if you're not giving it your full attention. Approx 26 hours.

All of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series are available as audiobooks and are well worth a listen, even if you've read the books already.

I've only ever bought audiobooks from Audible.co.uk or from iTunes, both of which impose their own DRM restrictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

thanks for that tsk tsk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Only Audio book I have listened to....over and over and over again.....is Under Milk Wood BBC recording with Richard Burton narrator....just think its one of the great pieces of audio literature and Burtons accent and voice is just brilliant.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Under-Milk-Wood-Radio-Collection/dp/0563388609/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264547918&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

OP, if you're into autobiographies, I got Chris Evans' one a few weeks back - at over 7 hours, it's well worth a listen.............

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

audible.com is the daddy for online audio books..

itunes store is good, and has some classics for cheap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Robin Wren

Pamela Stephensons biography of her husband Billy Connolly
    is a very good listen. She has a pleasent voice, the subject matter
    is both interesting and funny.
    Ive seen a few cheap copies on Ebay.

Advertisement