Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Snail

Options
  • 10-01-2010 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭

We bought a snail for the fish tank about a month ago. Yesterday, I spotted a baby snail in the tank also. I'm wondering now how long it takes for a snail to mature as this thing is not even the size of the chips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

sup_dude wrote: »
    We bought a snail for the fish tank about a month ago. Yesterday, I spotted a baby snail in the tank also. I'm wondering now how long it takes for a snail to mature as this thing is not even the size of the chips?

Why would you want a snail in your FISH tank :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

terenc wrote: »

Helpful posts please in future?

star-pants wrote: »
    Helpful posts please in future?

Well some people would consider snails parasites that damage plant life and can effect the health of your fish. Would this be considered helpful.
    But then again your maybe a snail keeper so you don't have to worry about any of the above.

Well some people would consider snails parasites that damage plant life and can effect the health of your fish. Would this be considered helpful.

Yes actually that would be considered helpful, just posting something like 'why?' isn't helpful to the OP unless you explain your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

To keep down algae, not all tanks have fresh plants in them for snails to distroy. They can also be interesting to watch. I don't have any in my tanks but its a personal choice, some like them and find them useful others don't

OP a snail can take up to two years to mature.

EDIT: Sorry I should have mentioned food, temperature and water quality can play its part.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Boomtastic

I got some snails last summer to keep the algae in check. They were tiny to start and grew to full size in what seemed like a month. They've since gone on and laid loads of batches of eggs but they never survive to hatching because either the fish or the snails are eating them.

I moved several batches into a seperate tank in September and they are growing but at a much slower rate than before so I can only assume it's to do with water temperature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cucoigcrice

I actually bout a water snal yesterday for my tank and it only is really active whenthe light is off. They are look completely different than garden snails an are interstin to watch I think i have a baby in my tank it seem transparent

lrushe wrote: »
    To keep down algae, not all tanks have fresh plants in them for snails to distroy. They can also be interesting to watch. I don't have any in my tanks but its a personal choice, some like them and find them useful others don't

OP a snail can take up to two years to mature.

EDIT: Sorry I should have mentioned food, temperature and water quality can play its part.

I like them with them with garlic :):):)

I like them with them with garlic :):):)
    Again, helpful posts only, this is your last warning.

Advertisement