Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

motivation weight loss clinics: good or bad??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

edit just saw date

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Grainne88

I just thought I would add in that I am currently taking part in Motivation and I love it! It has just really worked for me where other programs like Weight Watchers and others haven't. However all I will say it that different programs work for different people, some people can lose weight without any help whilst others (like myself) need more personalized consultation. I also think if you want to shift 1 stone or 2 stone than WW may be better but I am losing about 4.5 stone altogether and that is very long term. So give it a go if your weight loss and relationship with food is something you don't mind spending money on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

Grainne88 wrote: »
    I just thought I would add in that I am currently taking part in Motivation and I love it! It has just really worked for me where other programs like Weight Watchers and others haven't. However all I will say it that different programs work for different people, some people can lose weight without any help whilst others (like myself) need more personalized consultation. I also think if you want to shift 1 stone or 2 stone than WW may be better but I am losing about 4.5 stone altogether and that is very long term. So give it a go if your weight loss and relationship with food is something you don't mind spending money on

Just read this thread , there seems to be a lot of newbies signing up to recommend motivation and then disappearing

Probably have to sign a confidentiality clause preventing them revealing the secret

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

etcetc wrote: »
    Just read this thread , there seems to be a lot of newbies signing up to recommend motivation and then disappearing

Probably have to sign a confidentiality clause preventing them revealing the secret

A friend of mine did it and gave me the book, there's no secret, it's a moderately low carb VERY high protein diet with some psuedo-psychology thrown in. Nothing you couldn't get from a book or online for way less money.

WW are definitely missing a trick, they should really have a high protein plan for people who do well on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

WW are definitely missing a trick, they should really have a high protein plan for people who do well on it.

Maybe WW are afraid of losing the revenue on their WW ready-meals, snacks etc.? I wouldn't say any of them are particularly high protein.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

hollypink wrote: »
    Maybe WW are afraid of losing the revenue on their WW ready-meals, snacks etc.? I wouldn't say any of them are particularly high protein.

Oooh, good point, their ready meals are pathetically low in protein.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭gregmarah

to answer the main thread topic bluntly ......NO!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

IMO, the whole thing is a money racket. People (Myself included) go in to these things hoping for a magic cure, while knowing deep down the only way is, as has been pointed out by others, move more/eat less and more sensibly. Most who use this clinic will lose weight initially,because they are forking out appox E1500!
    I finished the course about 6 months ago and have not heard a peep from them, though I was told when leaving to"feel free to come in and buy bars ect whenever I needed"
    At the start, you select your "goal" weight, if you achieve this loss withing the 20 weeks, they allow you to continue on a maintenance program(for more money) as I did not achieve my target weight, this was not offered to me. I reckon this is how they can improve the success rate statistically.
    If you like being tut tutted at and condescended to each week....sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 pinkmonkey045

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    IMO, the whole thing is a money racket. People (Myself included) go in to these things hoping for a magic cure, while knowing deep down the only way is, as has been pointed out by others, move more/eat less and more sensibly.

Did you see the rte show 'what Ireland's eating?'. A few weeks ago. I thought it was brilliant. But one part stood out, I really saw a truth in it. This (Austrian???) scientist was talking about a study series done on obesity in rats. They fed them sugar and junk food and got them obese and hooked on this food (as humans do too- addicted according to brain patterns similar to heroin!!). When the set up an
    Obstacle course with an electric shock the rats didn't care just sucked it up as they wanted the FIX!!! Then the swapped the junk for unprocessed natural foods and the rats starved themselves rather than eat it. Starved. Unreal.

I think it's a good indicator of why we can't just say to people (taking into account nobody is saying humans are rats) 'eat less. Exercise more. Eat sensibly' without addressing their addiction to processed sugar bread pasta chips pizzas and general junk. it's a huge change and long term change is extremely difficult.

It was a good program- btw think its on rteplayer! (may be gone). I also recommend the food revolution on YouTube, a presentation by a Swedish doctor who is changing Sweden and it changed a lot for me. I know people who have done weight watchers motivation, dietitians and dr Eva's program (if dr eva can't change you... ) and if that works for them in the long term then that is fantastic. If they can avoid getting diabetes (through any weight lossmethod) in the future then that would be nice thanks and save the taxpayers pocket....

• Registered Users Posts: 8 deirdre1976

I'm starting motivation clinic in two weeks. I will definitely find a cheaper substitute for the protein snacks. Way too expensive. Im no push over and they CANNOT force you to buy any of their products.
    Wish me luck please everyone. xx

• Advertisement

Hi,
    Can anyone please help. I am thinking of signing up to a motivation weight management clinic. I have tried every diet under the sun. I just don't seem to have the willpower to see them through .. All I need to lose is 2 stone. I have gym membership, so I would be working out aswell. I am just wondering if anyone has any recent success stories .. Is there any way that you can do it and not buy the protein bars that they say that you need..

Hi
    Just wondering did you go to motivation clinic. I just found this forum tonight. Im joining the clinic in 2 weeks. Would love to hear ur story if you have already joined.

Deirdre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Why is it that despite all the negative information the thread always crops up again with someone planning on doing it?

I think then reason people try things like this, despite the negatives, is they think "this will be the one" When you make initial contact its all "oh, I think we are full....hang on, I can fit you in" etc etc. As I said before, i am sure there are exception....but I, and other people I know have NOT kept the weight off....They shove proteins, books, cd's at you, which add up to a fortune. do yourself a favour, attend aerobics or similar and consult a QUALIFIED nutritionist.....you will be better off.
    The books and CD's all have the same **** in them, and when I queried the logic of this I was told, "its all about repitition"....you will go nuts listening to Dr Maurice (I think he is obsessed with sex)
    When I asked about the calorie content of the protein bars (15 euro for seven) I was told "dont concern yourself with that".......They recommend proteins x 3 per day...that alone is 45 euro per week!! and I think it is 3-4 books and 3-4 cd's at 15 euro each .....

Hi. Anyone join up to motivation clinic lately?

deirdre1976, despite mostly negative responses, I wou.d say your mind is made up, so go for it anway and good luck, I hope you have deep pockets. Do let us know how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Hi. Anyone join up to motivation clinic lately?

Ye I am in my 4th week of it and i am loving it but i was really ready to make changes I had given up the smokes 3 months before hand etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BaiterOne

Motivation is the key...

I just lost 3 stone in WeightWatchers, in 20 weeks, cost me €136 overall.

Started out at 14.5 stone.

I knew I didn't have the willpower to do it on my own so a public class was needed.

If WeightWatchers hadn't succeeded then I think Motivation Weight Loss would have been my next option - sounds very expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 luvbeautiful

The motivation clinic sounds expensive , but I do belive getting the right mindset to losing weight it half the battle, so maybe being supported and helped is good , not so sure about protien shakes, they sound awful !!I have tried many diets and its cost me a lot of money, and I don't have the time to go to the gym because I live in the middle of nowhere....my excercise routine is pretty crap -my sit ups last for a total of three days , although just before my holiday I mangaged a week and two days!!! I find it very difficult not to be tempted by foods that make me fat I have a sweet tooth and it has been my undoing. It was fine when I was young , I could eat whatever I wanted but now I end up with a fat belly- the muffin top look which I hate . I drink a coffee now that has a herb that helps me lose weight, I've only been using it a week and Ive lost two pounds and I've not exaclty been dieting. I've never done weight watcher but my friends have and its becomes a full time job , counting calories and weighting food, and they always get really grumpy !!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Hi I am joining Motivation on Saturday and I just can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 KevHurley

Supplements are really not the answer to weight loss. A program where the so called advisor, is trying to push you on to supplements is obviously flawed. Correct eating and exercise is the only way to successfully lose weight and keep it off. There are plenty of programmes out there that focus on peoples health rather than just trying to extract the maximum amount of cash from someone who needs help. Anyone thinking of starting any dubious diet should talk to a qualified health professional, not some conman trying to make a quick sale!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Coco1986

If anyone is considering this course, PLEASE, keep your money. I found it utterly rubbish and mind warping. And it cost a small fortune, silly mistake by me.

Advertisement