Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC HD2 v's Nexus One

• 10-01-2010 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi All,

Anyone any thoughts on which phone would be better HD2 or Nexus one,

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Hd2 has had some horrible reviews, sense is great, but you can't make a purse from a pigs ear (windows mobile)

Nexus one should be good...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

HD2 has gotten excellent reviews :confused:

One of the best and most advanced smartphones on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

eh, Nokia N900? Thats like using a donkey called istabrack as a race horse!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Im currently using a HD2 and trying/after buying a Nexus one.

The HD2 was my first winmo phone and I was slightly skeptical seeing the bad reviews winmo has had but Htc have done a fairly good job with sense on it covering things up.

The things I dont really like with it arent really software related, even though the screen is huge and brilliant I think its ever so slightly too large, with it in my pocket it feels fairly bulky. The camera bugs me not having a dedicated shutter button, there's only a few niggly bits really so id say i'll still keep it as a second phone.

I wanted to see what the fuss is about with androids so the nexus one seems to be the one to currently go for, if google hurry up and sort out my order i'll try give a better comparison between them when i get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

I'm currently a HTC HD2 owner at the moment and find the phone excellent mainly because of the screen size and the screen resolution. The Windows mobile operating system runs very well in the back ground. The user interface is the best out there at the moment and your contacts integrate very well with facebook :D The GPS software is very well supported, you can have TomTom, Garmin, Route 66, Copilot, take your pick. The Youtube app and the Radio apps are excellent. The only thing I don't like is the market place, its crap.

It's really down to what one phone can do that the other phone can't do. I don't think there's much in it. So its really what will the Nexus one bring to the table that the HTC HD2 can't do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

Dunno why anyone would want a Nexus One. When you have tell people its super it obviously isn't!

1. The screen is almost unreadable in daylight... so you can't use the camera in daylight either. See the videos of it... like WM phones of 3 years ago.
    2. Although the digitizer is capactive it's not as accurate as other screens.
    3. Webpage loading speed - nowhere near as fast as Droid, which is slower than iphone 3GS, which is slower than HD2 (easy to see the vids online)
    4. Voice recognition is a toy - and your voice gets passed to Google's servers to build a profile of your voice/process it.
    5. The UI is goddam awful - the most inconsitent UI I've seen (far worse than naked WM imho)

Some quotes from Engadgets review:

"The Nexus One has a trackball just below those buttons that should feel very familiar to Hero users -- the placement feels a bit awkward here, and there's literally nothing in the OS that requires it."

"The big issue with the screen, though, is actually the color balance."

"using this thing in daylight? Forget about it. Like most screens of this type, the Nexus One is a nightmare to see with any kind of bright light around, and snapping photos with it on a sunny day was like taking shots with your eyes closed."

"The loudspeaker, on the other hand, seemed extremely tinny to our ears, making for a pretty unpleasant companion for conference calls, "

Ok I'm an iPhone user! But the HD2 is a far nicer phone than either... I've used it and if it was available on contract here I'd have dumped the Jesus phone already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

I find engadgets reviews to be very iphone biased and take them with a pinch of salt.

I find my HD2 screen crappy in daylight, but in saying that i find it no worse than any other colour screen phone I have used over the years. As for browser speed take a look at this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kar6Y58aORs

eireal wrote: »
    I find my HD2 screen crappy in daylight

If thats the case you're going to find the Nexus extremely crappy in the daylight. I can't find one bad review about the HTC HD2 in direct sunlight but there's lots of review coming out about the Nexus ones very poor performance in sunlight.

Here's a few of those bad sunlight reviews for you to check out

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/01/09/google-nexus-one-review-android-thoughts/
    http://www.567t.com/archives/102
    http://techland.com/2010/01/11/nexus-one-review-the-hardware-isnt-the-problem-android-is/
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/04/nexus-one-review/

Lucky for you we don't get to see the sun much here. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMGkhBIqOMg

iphone far faster than either droid or nexus. Granted Engadget's site is JavaScript heavy... but that makes it a good test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOV7PH3J0j0
    The HD2 faster than 3GS. Not much mind you but impressive because it's got to render more than twice as many pixels. At arround 7:10 in the video.

Also you can also get a capative stylus for the HD2, so no more freezing your hands/fingers to death if you want to use and far greater accuracy if you want to do anything that requires it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kar6Y58aORs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7L-seNpLEQ

And you can see here the nexus beats the iphone. Im selling an iphone now ( which isnt going so well :( )and I tried it on a few different websites and the nexus beats the iphone most times. Only on certain websites the iphone is a small bit faster. That engadget video is just wrong its like they done it a few times and tried to find a site that would be slowest to load ie their own site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Engadget in Apple nuts shocker

Yh exactly, that video was painful to watch. I have the phone a day now and have tried 3g and wireless in a few different locations. Each time the loading time for websites has been fine. I had a problem with wifi at the beginning but got it fixed. I hear in the states their having 3g problems but im on vodafone and so far its fine. The phone pushes emails through immediatly and even has google talk running in the background so chats also come through. So far battery life is fine a bit better than iphone but im sure it will get worse but at least i can pop the back off and buy a new battery.

Direct comparison:

http://pocketnow.com/software-1/nexus-one-vs-htc-hd2-web-browsing

http://pocketnow.com/software-1/nexus-one-vs-htc-hd2-web-browsing-rematch

Essentially the Nexus 1 is faster than the HD2 if using Opera, but Skyfire on the HD2 is faster than both (if a little less accurate)

Alternate things annoyed me about both. The HD2 has slow screen rotation (compared to Nexus) but the Nexus has very slow and inaccurate page zooming. When you double tap on a page the browser should zoom in the the DIV on the page. The Nexus seems to zoom in slowly and sometimes only to the page width.

That said the iPhone infuriatingly mistakes swipes for clicks!
    As far as my brief play with the HD2 revealed Opera doesn't allow you to click if the page is fully zoomed out. That could be a pro or con depending on your viewpoint.

I wouldn't go along with any of those speed tests, in your earlier post you should that the iphone is faster than the nexus, then the HD2 being faster than the iPhone and now the nexus faster than the HD2. So if anything it proves that those tests don't prove anything at all. :D

I had an iphone and I have a nexus one. I have the speed test.net app on both. At the moment im getting 5100kbps download on the nexus, on the iphone I used to get half that. So far for me on 3g the nexus is a hell of a lot faster for browsing than my iphone ever was. Thats on the vodafone network.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

what model iphone had you?

I had iphone 3gs 16gb. So far anything using internet is faster than iphone. However i miss itunes store on it and the music player on nexus is not as good. Apart from that I find it a lot better than iphone in regards to battery and general use.

My 2g iphone isn't great, any good tips on where to get a nexus?

You can either wait til its out here or get one on ebay at hgher price or order from united states and use a mail forwarding service.

sounds good, i'd like one now, can you supply one? how much? cheers!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

nightster1 wrote: »
    sounds good, i'd like one now, can you supply one? how much? cheers!!

He ment "us" as in the united states..

Hmmm beginning to agree with a previous poster that these speed tests are not up to much! Granted these tests might be valid with a wifi connection, but in real world use your network connection will be a bottleneck far more than CPU/rendering speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 VeyronMick

The HD2 reviews I've seen are good too and it will have a Windows Mobile 7 upgrade available when MS release it.
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/11/20/review_phone_htc_hd2/

I've been using Windows 6.5 and Sense 2.5 for a while on my HTC Diamond 2. It's nice to use and integrates well with Outlook. I do prefer it to the HTC Hero which I tried out for a month or so.

If you're into hacking/modding with the HD2 then the xda-developers.com website has some really good stuff to play with.

If you are in the market for a Android phone, I'd wait for the HTC version of the Nexus One to be released. They are calling it the HTC Dragon/Passion and it'll have the HTC Sense UI to make it look good.

VeyronMick wrote: »
    The HD2 reviews I've seen are good too and it will have a Windows Mobile 7 upgrade available when MS release it.

That could be a long, long time away....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

I've been using Windows 6.5 and Sense 2.5 for a while on my HTC Diamond 2. It's nice to use and integrates well with Outlook. I do prefer it to the HTC Hero which I tried out for a month or so.

If you're into hacking/modding with the HD2 then the xda-developers.com website has some really good stuff to play with.

If you are in the market for a Android phone, I'd wait for the HTC version of the Nexus One to be released. They are calling it the HTC Dragon/Passion and it'll have the HTC Sense UI to make it look good.

HTC make the Nexus one...they are basically the same phone as far as I know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 VeyronMick

cojomo2 wrote: »
    HTC make the Nexus one...they are basically the same phone as far as I know...

The hardware is identical between them (The Nexus one is a rebadged Dragon/Passion) but the HTC one will have the Sense UI eye candy which makes Android look good.

As the nexus is a htc phone. Would htc earphones with mic work on it. The earphones that came with it are terrible. They are very uncomfortable to wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

The hardware is identical between them (The Nexus one is a rebadged Dragon/Passion) but the HTC one will have the Sense UI eye candy which makes Android look good.

I wouldnt be that positive about SenseUI really.
    If you have a look around, its the only reason why Hero's havent had ANY update so far.
    the point is that if HTC has to customize a vanilla android version with their SenseUI, this comes at a high cost to them in terms of resources, time etc.
    To me, the beauty of the Nexus is that it is carrier agnostic, hence will get updates earlier than the customized versions.
    It really boils down to what you want from the phone, more eye candy but less OS updates, or more updates but less eye candy.
    In any case , senseUi is nice looking yes, but hardly a revolutionary interface.

• Advertisement

nmesisca wrote: »
    I wouldnt be that positive about SenseUI really.
    If you have a look around, its the only reason why Hero's havent had ANY update so far.
    the point is that if HTC has to customize a vanilla android version with their SenseUI, this comes at a high cost to them in terms of resources, time etc.
    To me, the beauty of the Nexus is that it is carrier agnostic, hence will get updates earlier than the customized versions.
    It really boils down to what you want from the phone, more eye candy but less OS updates, or more updates but less eye candy.
    In any case , senseUi is nice looking yes, but hardly a revolutionary interface.

Sense is a massive improvement on the basic android interface. It is great to use and far superior to the basic UI.

Very few phones have been updated to new versions of Android & the only reason the Hero hasn't is that they have been waiting for 2.1 to be released. 2.1 will be available for the Hero 1 month after the launch of the Nexus and 3 weeks from the general launch of the SDK (thats not bad).

You should also note that most Irish users have only had their Hero since November, so a February update isn't too bad. If you want the latest you are free to root your phone anyway.

Don't mean to focus on the Hero, but it is the easiest case to follow...

Advertisement