Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC HD2 v's Nexus One

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Sense is a massive improvement on the basic android interface. It is great to use and far superior to the basic UI.

Very few phones have been updated to new versions of Android & the only reason the Hero hasn't is that they have been waiting for 2.1 to be released. 2.1 will be available for the Hero 1 month after the launch of the Nexus and 3 weeks from the general launch of the SDK (thats not bad).

You should also note that most Irish users have only had their Hero since November, so a February update isn't too bad. If you want the latest you are free to root your phone anyway.

Don't mean to focus on the Hero, but it is the easiest case to follow...

i strongly disagree.
    most phones have been upgraded already.
    magic and dream have been upgraded to 1.6 as well.
    the fact that hero is in ireland only recently doesnt really matter as it has been out since mid 09 in europe.
    i agree that they are waiting for 2.1.. but why? because they didnt want to make an effort to adapt senseUI to 1.6 or 2.0.1 and then do it all over for 2.1.
    result is, if you have senseUI you're less likely to receive updates.
    IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

nmesisca wrote: »
    i strongly disagree.
    most phones have been upgraded already.
    magic and dream have been upgraded to 1.6 as well.
    the fact that hero is in ireland only recently doesnt really matter as it has been out since mid 09 in europe.
    i agree that they are waiting for 2.1.. but why? because they didnt want to make an effort to adapt senseUI to 1.6 or 2.0.1 and then do it all over for 2.1.
    result is, if you have senseUI you're less likely to receive updates.
    IMHO.

Are you really going to update the OS every 2 months.... ? I'm not, I'd prefer to miss 1.6 and get 2.1 further down the road. I consider myself a heavy user, but only a hacker when I feel the need...

Are you really going to update the OS every 2 months.... ? I'm not, I'd prefer to miss 1.6 and get 2.1 further down the road. I consider myself a heavy user, but only a hacker when I feel the need...

1.5 came out in April 09.. and you're still on that one on the Hero!
    considerably more than 2 months.

1.5 came out in April 09.. and you're still on that one on the Hero!
    considerably more than 2 months.

Oh no !!...

Oh no !!...

Bluefoam I have said my opinion and I respect yours but dont appreciate childish comments.

If you prefer to update once a year, great. But there are others that prefer to at least have the choice.

• Advertisement

Bluefoam I have said my opinion and I respect yours but dont appreciate childish comments.

If you prefer to update once a year, great. But there are others that prefer to at least have the choice.
    Very sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Having to decide this for myself over the last few days.

Coming from Nokia, iPod Touch history I LOVE MY HD2.

Really love it ... love the screen ... love the Sense UI.
    After a half an hour play with a Nexus One today I'd have to say I thought the build quality on the HD2 was much better - it's so solid.

Nexus wins :

Better syncing with Google Contacts and support for multiple calendar.

Windows Shagging Mobile - I HATE fiddling around with APNs and turning stuff off and on. Just take my preferred connections in order and make me online already.

Future Google goodies and the hope that voice recognition will save me from the joys of a virtual keyboard.

HD2 wins :
    Opera Mini 5 Beta 2 is just ridiculously nice to use on the HD2, but looks pants on the Android.
    Dunno why as both have the same resolution

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

long_b wrote: »
    Having to decide this for myself over the last few days.

Coming from Nokia, iPod Touch history I LOVE MY HD2.

Really love it ... love the screen ... love the Sense UI.
    After a half an hour play with a Nexus One today I'd have to say I thought the build quality on the HD2 was much better - it's so solid.

Nexus wins :

Better syncing with Google Contacts and support for multiple calendar.

Windows Shagging Mobile - I HATE fiddling around with APNs and turning stuff off and on. Just take my preferred connections in order and make me online already.

Future Google goodies and the hope that voice recognition will save me from the joys of a virtual keyboard.

HD2 wins :
    Opera Mini 5 Beta 2 is just ridiculously nice to use on the HD2, but looks pants on the Android.
    Dunno why as both have the same resolution
    In the last week I've had an HD2, an iPhone 3GS and a Nexus One.

It's the Nexus hands down. No contest.

Voice recognition, speed, ease of use. ..

I am mental for this handset. Just get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

GUIGuy wrote: »
    Dunno why anyone would want a Nexus One. When you have tell people its super it obviously isn't!

1. The screen is almost unreadable in daylight... so you can't use the camera in daylight either. See the videos of it... like WM phones of 3 years ago.
    2. Although the digitizer is capactive it's not as accurate as other screens.
    3. Webpage loading speed - nowhere near as fast as Droid, which is slower than iphone 3GS, which is slower than HD2 (easy to see the vids online)
    4. Voice recognition is a toy - and your voice gets passed to Google's servers to build a profile of your voice/process it.
    5. The UI is goddam awful - the most inconsitent UI I've seen (far worse than naked WM imho)

Some quotes from Engadgets review:

"The Nexus One has a trackball just below those buttons that should feel very familiar to Hero users -- the placement feels a bit awkward here, and there's literally nothing in the OS that requires it."

"The big issue with the screen, though, is actually the color balance."

"using this thing in daylight? Forget about it. Like most screens of this type, the Nexus One is a nightmare to see with any kind of bright light around, and snapping photos with it on a sunny day was like taking shots with your eyes closed."

"The loudspeaker, on the other hand, seemed extremely tinny to our ears, making for a pretty unpleasant companion for conference calls, "

Ok I'm an iPhone user! But the HD2 is a far nicer phone than either... I've used it and if it was available on contract here I'd have dumped the Jesus phone already.

I'm sorry to quote such a dreadful post in its entirety, but the above is a collection of absolute horse****. The only thing I agree with is the earpiece being tinny, as it certainly is and that's one of my main complaints about the device.

The quip about the trackball just highlights the iPhone-centric perspective that J-Tops was viewing the Nexus One from. The trackball is very useful for navigating through text, especially going back through compositions and making corrections and edits. Conversely, when using the iPhone I found it quite tedious to go through text using the magnifying glass as it would take several seconds to do even if I just wanted to go back two characters.

Engadget's review of the Nexus One was rushed and has been discredited by a great many people who have spent some real time with the Nexus One and and are viewing it as a separate device, not something that's trying to be an iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

GUIGuy wrote: »
    Dunno why anyone would want a Nexus One. When you have tell people its super it obviously isn't!

1. The screen is almost unreadable in daylight... so you can't use the camera in daylight either. See the videos of it... like WM phones of 3 years ago.
    2. Although the digitizer is capactive it's not as accurate as other screens.
    3. Webpage loading speed - nowhere near as fast as Droid, which is slower than iphone 3GS, which is slower than HD2 (easy to see the vids online)
    4. Voice recognition is a toy - and your voice gets passed to Google's servers to build a profile of your voice/process it.
    5. The UI is goddam awful - the most inconsitent UI I've seen (far worse than naked WM imho)

Some quotes from Engadgets review:

"The Nexus One has a trackball just below those buttons that should feel very familiar to Hero users -- the placement feels a bit awkward here, and there's literally nothing in the OS that requires it."

"The big issue with the screen, though, is actually the color balance."

"using this thing in daylight? Forget about it. Like most screens of this type, the Nexus One is a nightmare to see with any kind of bright light around, and snapping photos with it on a sunny day was like taking shots with your eyes closed."

"The loudspeaker, on the other hand, seemed extremely tinny to our ears, making for a pretty unpleasant companion for conference calls, "

Ok I'm an iPhone user! But the HD2 is a far nicer phone than either... I've used it and if it was available on contract here I'd have dumped the Jesus phone already.

I'm sorry to quote such a dreadful post in its entirety, but the above is a collection of absolute horse****. The only thing I agree with is the earpiece being tinny, as it certainly is and that's one of my main complaints about the device.

The quip about the trackball just highlights the iPhone-centric perspective that J-Tops was viewing the Nexus One from. The trackball is very useful for navigating through text, especially going back through the text and making edits. Conversely, when using an iPhone I found it quite tedious to go through text using the magnifying glass as it would take several seconds to do even if I just wanted to go back two characters.

Engadget's review of the Nexus One was rushed and has been discredited by a great many people who have spent some real time with the Nexus One and and are viewing it as a separate device, not something that's trying to be an iPhone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement