Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Gur Frozen

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Cateym

Every day I am amazed by the sheer stupidity of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

Cateym wrote: »

if it wasnt for people taking chances humanity would have never left the stoneage

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

topper75 wrote: »
    I was determined to make cracks and failed.

Sorry if I offend you - but I must ask you this question:

Were you dropped on your head as child?

Die a little :D

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Cateym wrote: »

It's their lives their risk to take, those who weren't there over the weekend shouldn't really comment on how dangerous it was. Those on the lake obivously assessed the risks (which I believe everybody knows) and thought it was safe to go on the lake. I was on the lake, I don't have kids so baby Edward wasn't on the lake. I went out as far as I thought I would be able to stand in the lake should the ice break (about 20-30 feet). I thought the guys in the middle were a bit mad, but I wasn't in the middle so didn't know what the conditions were like, it was their call to make.

To change the subject a bit, anybody remember it freezing before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

If some of these people fall in it will be hard to have any sympathy for them as they can't say they haven't been warned enough. For the people who think its OK to bring their kids on to frozen lakes you have to ask yourself are you fit to be a parent.

• Advertisement

ABEasy wrote: »
    Those on the lake obivously assessed the risks (which I believe everybody knows)

Not having a go at you but i think its fairly established now that irish people havent a clue how to assess the risks. How would everybody know about the risks of going on a frozen lake? Must be because we have had the same situation every winter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

utick wrote: »
    seeing as how none of them have sued or said they werent warned what are you complaining about

I didn't infer that anyone had done so. If however, it does happen, they have had plenty of warnings.

Not having a go at you but i think its fairly established now that irish people havent a clue how to assess the risks. How would everybody know about the risks of going on a frozen lake? Must be because we have had the same situation every winter

How do you know the risks..... did you research it or did you just pick it up like everybody else?

I dont know the risks, hence why i didnt think it was safe to go visit some lake and risk my life by standing on it.

And did you research it before you went to the lake that day? I'd be very surprised if you did or if anyone else that went on the like did and I know you cant answer for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

How do you know the risks..... did you research it or did you just pick it up like everybody else?

I think the fact that the Gardai made a public announcement asking people not to go on the lake would count as the risk being pointed out.

Plus the fact a Garda stated today that they were present at the lake over the weekend telling people not to go out on the ice, and that everytime the Gardai left the area the people went back onto the ice.

also Gerry Behan, Director of Environment Services for Limerick, went on live95fm in a plea to get people to stay off of the lake as he said it was unsafe..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 -simon-

This is from county Fermanagh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

What. A. Retard.

Edit - more examples of idiocy here
    ....Two Irish men in one case and two Eastern Europeans in the other had to be led down the mountain by the team. The operation lasted until the early hours of yesterday morning -- and involved 25 members.

Spokesman Damien Courtney said those rescued were not equipped and did not have proper winter gear, boots, or clothing and there was "a real risk of hypothermia".

The two parties went past large warning signs alerting them to the possibility of avalanches and asking them not to go on the mountains without crampons -- or spikes in their shoes -- and ice axes....
    Meanwhile, also on Saturday, team members came upon a number of bizarre encounters on Mangerton Mountain off the Killarney National Park.

A number of young people had ascended the mountain poorly equipped and five young men were observed by team members walking on the iced-over Devil's Punchbowl, a deep high glacial lake. This was despite the fact the ice was cracking around the edges of the lake, said Mr Courtney.

My bold and italics, full story here: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/hillwalkers-rescued-from-devils-ladder-in-eighthour-operation-2008169.html

-simon- wrote: »

That sounds very like this guy:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Well the only thought in my mind the whole way through was that you can have the "I'm walking on a frozen Lake" experience just as completely and just as authentically from 3-4 feet away from the shore as you can from 100 metres out.

- Its just that one of those options could very suddenly lead to a horrible death, clawing at the wrong side of the ice as the cold eats your flesh....

Had to smile at LB6's photo here - In stark contrast to the rest of the Thread - Here's a Girl who cautiously wasn't going any closer than a nice safe 200 meters from the edge!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

utick wrote: »
    concussion wrote: »
    . Off you go, don't say you weren't warned or go off and sue someone for negligence .

QUOTE]

seeing as how none of them have sued or said they werent warned what are you complaining about

Correctimundo. Some other person hysterically mentioned Darwin awards. No one died in Limerick walking on ice so we can only conclude some kind of twisted wishful thinking on their part. Killjoys. I enjoyed the day on the lake. No busybody can take the great memory away.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

If you do decide to venture out on the ice do not waste emergency services time by falling through, They have other things to be doing than dragging idiots out of the water and risking there lives by having to respond.

Also anyone doing this is giving a bad example to kids who do not know better.

This country seems to produce idiots at every oportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

topper75 wrote: »

Correctimundo. Some other person hysterically mentioned Darwin awards. No one died in Limerick walking on ice so we can only conclude some kind of twisted wishful thinking on their part. Killjoys. I enjoyed the day on the lake. No busybody can take the great memory away.

I mentioned it in reference to the muppets on the Quad bikes shooting across a frozen lake, not exactly the cleverest of things to do is it? Hence my reference to potential darwin award material. Nothing twisted or wishful thinking as you seem to invision.

If you or anyone else get enjoyment from walking on a frozen lake then best of luck to you. I have no interest in telling you what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

-simon- wrote: »

that is gold lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    If you do decide to venture out on the ice do not waste emergency services time by falling through
    Fair enough. My ice walking days are over for another 50 years or so now anyway.
    bazz26 wrote: »
    Quad bikes shooting across a frozen lake, not exactly the cleverest of things to do is it?
    Agreed, that could well be "asking for it". They weigh quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Cateym

It's their lives their risk to take, those who weren't there over the weekend shouldn't really comment on how dangerous it was. Those on the lake obivously assessed the risks (which I believe everybody knows) and thought it was safe to go on the lake. I was on the lake, I don't have kids so baby Edward wasn't on the lake. I went out as far as I thought I would be able to stand in the lake should the ice break (about 20-30 feet). I thought the guys in the middle were a bit mad, but I wasn't in the middle so didn't know what the conditions were like, it was their call to make.

Unless these people are experts in assessing the thickness of the ice then they are clearly a bit soft in the head if they think it is safe to be mucking about on it.

• Advertisement

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭natsuko

Bump

I remember it partially froze when I was a kid, i was about 7 so in 94/95...

I was down there yesterday when it was covered in snow so was difficult to see where it might be thinner and people where still going out into the middle(my OH included)!

My OH went around with it my son, I was freaking out a little though. I went out maybe 20ft at most and that was good enough for me... I have a fear of water so no amount of ice was getting me any further out!!!

My OH was talking to and old guy that was standing out in it and asked him when was the last time he remembered it freezing fully and he said '63.

He also took some pics from from the middle of the lake. Appartantly there are supposed to be springs under the lake that are causing spots on the ice surface to thin because the water is warmer... you can see the patches in the pictures. Whether it is springs or not, they are definately weak patches. And you can hear definate cracking and settling.

Ive also heard that someone took a tractor out on it!!! Only rumour though so not sure.
    And as far as I know no one has fallen into the lake as the other poster were arguing about. And hopefully they wont, today will be a teller seen as its so wet and a little warmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Man, there is no way in hell I would have left my son out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

natsuko wrote: »
    I remember it partially froze when I was a kid, i was about 7 so in 94/95...

I was down there yesterday when it was covered in snow so was difficult to see where it might be thinner and people where still going out into the middle(my OH included)!

My OH went around with it my son, I was freaking out a little though. I went out maybe 20ft at most and that was good enough for me... I have a fear of water so no amount of ice was getting me any further out!!!

My OH was talking to and old guy that was standing out in it and asked him when was the last time he remembered it freezing fully and he said '63.

He also took some pics from from the middle of the lake. Appartantly there are supposed to be springs under the lake that are causing spots on the ice surface to thin because the water is warmer... you can see the patches in the pictures. Whether it is springs or not, they are definately weak patches. And you can hear definate cracking and settling.

Ive also heard that someone took a tractor out on it!!! Only rumour though so not sure.
    And as far as I know no one has fallen into the lake as the other poster were arguing about. And hopefully they wont, today will be a teller seen as its so wet and a little warmer.

You took your son out on a clearly thawing lake???

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭natsuko

You took your son out on a clearly thawing lake???

No, I did not, and I would not, but his dad did. I was a nervous wreck on the shore waiting for them to come back. He stayed close enough to the shoreline though that I didnt have to embarrass myself him by screaming at him to come back in! Those pics are from nearer the middle.

Advertisement