Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No water in Carlow town?

Options
  • 10-01-2010 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else without water and if so, what area are you in?

I don't know if my supply is frozen or turned off to let the supplies replenish.
    If its frozen, why did it only freeze this morning when we had slightly higher temps?

If the supply is turned off, some notice would've been nice.

I'm near the fairgreen/new oak area in town.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

ShayK1 wrote: »

I don't know if my supply is frozen or turned off to let the supplies replenish.
    If its frozen, why did it only freeze this morning when we had slightly higher temps?

no issues with it up here Shay, we've had the heating on an awful lot dont know if thats helped matters or not

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

nah, the water is not frozen in the house. Its the supply coming into the house.
    My taps are working but thats coming from the tank in the attic. That tank should refill from the outside supply but its not refilling, and therefore, not going to last very long. The cold tap in the kitchen is not working. That is also an outside supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Spoke to my father a few hours ago and his supply is ok. He's living up in Pollerton.

There was a rumor that they were going to switch the water off here but it never happened.

2 of the outside drain pipes were frozen but its currently 1.5 degrees and they have now tawed. Hopefully the current temps will stay above zero and we'll have water again tomorrow.

Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

Shay same here our water wasnt turned off frozen mains i have been filling our tank each day thanks to the neighbours ,and getting bottles of water too we have bad snow on the way but wont be as cold

• Advertisement

Fingers crossed we'll be back in action tomorrow. its after midnight now and temps are still above zero. Which can only be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Level 1 closed tonight due to frozen pipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

yeah the mains on the burrin rd are fine (same supply) so must be just the piping into your house had frozen..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭The Gish

The Tullow road area is fine. Like the above I have had the heating on, on a regular basis evening during the night to help stop any possible freezing of the pipes.
    Just be careful people when turning on the heating when the pipes are frozen or even turning the heating on after a long spell. I would sooner put up with the cold than a water logged house in this weather.
    A few people up my way have burst pipes because of the heating being turned on with frozen pipework.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

still no water :(

apparently there is a burst pipe on one of the water mains

• Advertisement

Nead21 wrote: »
    still no water :(

apparently there is a burst pipe on one of the water mains

What area Need21?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

i live with ShayK

near inner relief road

Am not too far away from you but I still have water thank God.

Snowing a little in Waterford today and also in Kilkenny I was informed. I believe it is raining in Carlow?
    I was also informed that the road from Carlow to Fenagh on to Borris is slippy but passable with care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭nagero

Carlow Co Co have been active on Twitter recently giving details on what roads are being gritted etc.

Also on the availability of water tankers around the town.

http://twitter.com/Carlow_Co_Co

regards

kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

nagero wrote: »
    Carlow Co Co have been active on Twitter recently giving details on what roads are being gritted etc.

Also on the availability of water tankers around the town.

http://twitter.com/Carlow_Co_Co

regards

kevin

can i just give some advice to people. With your water being frozen you may be tempted to pour boiling water onto the stopcock fitting on the pavement outside your house, or indeed any other fitting that has frozen up on you. I work with plumbing fitting and this is one of the worst things you could possibly do. You will cause the expansion and contraction of the fittings to take place at an escalated pace which could cause fittings to crack and leak.

Instead pour warm water onto the fitting instead of boiling water and this will serve better and not damage your pipes or fittings. If you can get a few gallons of boiling water to spare you could flush it down the drains in an effort to heat up the frozen ground around your pipes. Alternatively a blow-torch (provided you know how to use one) along the mains entry to your home will heat the ground up and unfreeze pipes safely. This was all recommended to me by a plumber today.

For those living in the countryside, lagging(armaflex as it is known in the hardware industry) should be used to insulate pipes, and if possible place a blow heater in your pump-house. This will prevent your pump freezing. An alternative if you don't have a blow heater would be to purchase a 200w infrared bulb and ceramic bulb holder and suspend it above your pump in the pump house to keep the pump warm.

Anyone with any more tips should post them up. These are all tried and tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭J_Wholesale

Major problems in Carlow now - looks like the whole Rathnapish area is without water. That Twitter link is great - never knew about that.

Major problems in Carlow now - looks like the whole Rathnapish area is without water. That Twitter link is great - never knew about that.

My landlord was on to Carlow Town Council today and was told that 4 water mains had burst in Carlow town, one of which was on Green Lane. So I guess that's what caused that one. I still have no water but my neighbour on one side does. Haven't spoken to the one on the other side yet.

I don't suppose anyone knows of an online resource for finding maps of the Carlow water pipe network? I don't even know where the mains supply into my house is.

If your neighbours have water and you don't, then the problem is probably local. Call a plumber.

landlord did already and was kinda told if its frozen in the ground there's not much we can do.

• Advertisement

I don't suppose anyone knows of an online resource for finding maps of the Carlow water pipe network? I don't even know where the mains supply into my house is.

shay you live in an estate dont you, it's just at the edge of your driveway normally

yep. There is a manhole and the end of my drive but I don't know if thats where the problem lies. I don't know what to do. I doubt I can do anything other than wait?

the should be a little cover like this

http://pub2.exeter.gov.uk/timetrail/object_images/13_16.jpg

outside your house at the front, lift this up and pour in some warm water. If you have a water key try turn off the stop cock, if you can turn it with ease it isn't frozen if you cant turn it then it is and thats where the warm water is needed. If the stopcock isn't frozen then yes all you can do is wait, i'm in the same situation myself here in waterford

Situation around Rathnapish is fixed now - 10 minutes after I go out and buy some bottled water. The burst pipe seemed to be opposite the Fire Station.

Can't see a cover like that dan.
    There's a couple of these type covers
    http://img.alibaba.com/photo/251731505/Square_manhole_cover.jpg
    But I think they're just the covers on outbound water
    and there's something like this on the footpath outside my house
    http://imghost1.indiamart.com/data2/GX/GS/MY-1138768/1manhole-cover-one-250x250.jpg
    Maybe the stopcock is under that?

I dunno

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dev_lee

Hi,

I live in The Laurels, Tullow Road and have had no water since Saturday morning. Heating has been on all over the cold snap... most of my neighbours are without water as well. Poured luke warm water down on the stopcock outside my house but its not working. Does anyone know if the council has turned off the water for my area???

Thanks!

I don't think so dev but I don't know.
    Maybe a phone call to the Town Council would give you a definate answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dev_lee

Thanks ShayK... rang their emergency line just there and the girl said she didn't know but would log my call....:confused:

try 059 9170300 in the morning. They should be able to transfer you to the relevant section or give you a number. Let me know how you get on if you don't mind.

• Advertisement

Can't see a cover like that dan.
    There's a couple of these type covers
    http://img.alibaba.com/photo/251731505/Square_manhole_cover.jpg
    But I think they're just the covers on outbound water
    and there's something like this on the footpath outside my house
    http://imghost1.indiamart.com/data2/GX/GS/MY-1138768/1manhole-cover-one-250x250.jpg
    Maybe the stopcock is under that?

I dunno

no wouldnt be under that the stopcock cover is never any bigger than the average fist

Advertisement