Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No water in Carlow town?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The Gish wrote: »
    The Tullow road area is fine. Like the above I have had the heating on, on a regular basis evening during the night to help stop any possible freezing of the pipes.
    Just be careful people when turning on the heating when the pipes are frozen or even turning the heating on after a long spell. I would sooner put up with the cold than a water logged house in this weather.
    A few people up my way have burst pipes because of the heating being turned on with frozen pipework.
    if the condenser in a gas burner freezes up it will leak like hell and will have to be replaced at great cost so make sure to use the gas heating a couple of times a day during this weather!
    stick-dan wrote: »
    no wouldnt be under that the stopcock cover is never any bigger than the average fist
    the new covers for stopcocks are round and approximately 6-7 inches in diameter to allow for the equipment needed to measure the amount of water we use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

foggy_lad wrote: »
    the new covers for stopcocks are round and approximately 6-7 inches in diameter to allow for the equipment needed to measure the amount of water we use.

really? jaysus better tell the boss to stock the new ones aswell so, thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dev_lee

Shayk - I rang the council this morning and they said no water cut on the tullow road but alot of places has frozen pipes outside.... just told me to throw luke warm water over the stopcock every day and hopefully the pipes will thaw in the next few days....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

dev_lee wrote: »
    Shayk - I rang the council this morning and they said no water cut on the tullow road but alot of places has frozen pipes outside.... just told me to throw luke warm water over the stopcock every day and hopefully the pipes will thaw in the next few days....:(

Great if you know where the stopcock is!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

Electricity is gone in Ballon now, no water, dark skies, people in Tullow not drinking ..... is this the end............... Were all doomed I tells ya........dooomed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭delonglad

We've no water since Saturday out here on the blackbog road, heating on since friday and we've even had an electric heater in the attic. Filled the tank manually yesterday for the essentials but its nearly all gone already. The landlord rang a plumber and he basically said nothing he could do the whole town is fecked. Pipes in the house are fine its definitely outside the house thats the problem as I spent yesterday crawling around the attic checking the pipes. Washing the dishes with Evian here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I'll save ye all :p

If you live on an estate the water mains stopcock is usually in front of your house on the path - horseshoe type/size thing!

From the horseshoe type/size thing the water mains pipe goes in a STRAIGHT line into your house.

Make sure this pipes' path is not covered in snow/ice!

Open horseshoe type/size thing (using screwdriver/brute force and ignorance!)

Pour kettle of hot water (NOT boiling - might melt pipes - NOT luke warm - will do absolutley nothing) down the hole.

Repeat this hourly. . .

Not very technical, but it worked for me after two kettlefuls last night. . .

how long were you without water before you did that fox?

Hi,
    Just noticed the cold water is just back (pressure not great) but still no water coming from the hot taps in the kitchen/bathroom:( also when you flush the toilet it takes ages to fill up...

Would anyone know why the hot water taps are not working?

Shayk - did u find the stopcock - i poured warm water down yesterday and a few times today - think that's what work...

@ shayK1 - water was off since sat - neighbour got his to come back on too.

@ dev_lee - because pressure is low and demand is high the tank in the attic is probably still filling up? Maybe?

• Advertisement

Fox - do you know if I have water in the cold taps in the kitchen/bathroom that I will be able to use the electric shower??

Hi,
    Just noticed the cold water is just back (pressure not great) but still no water coming from the hot taps in the kitchen/bathroom:( also when you flush the toilet it takes ages to fill up...

Would anyone know why the hot water taps are not working?

Shayk - did u find the stopcock - i poured warm water down yesterday and a few times today - think that's what work...

I found "A" stopcock. Whether its "MY" stopcock or the neighbours remains to be seen. I've 2 kettles of warm water gone down there in the last 2 hours. 3rd one on the way. No movement yet. I've been throwing gallons of water into my tank in the attic so I have some water in the house. I just have no mains supply to replenish. Fingers crossed it'll come back tonight or tomorrow morning.

Fox - do you know if I have water in the cold taps in the kitchen/bathroom that I will be able to use the electric shower??

em? I probably would leave it about an hour if you can. Just to make sure the water is back on for sure. As far as I know the supply for the electric shower comes directly from mains.

I am in no way an expert so maybe have a look in DIY section here, I know there was a few threads on it.

do you know if I have water in the cold taps in the kitchen/bathroom that I will be able to use the electric shower??

Most electric showers come off the header tank in the attic so if its full you can shower if not water will run out and you face burning out the motor in the shower. Reason there is no hot water may be down to an air lock on the line between header tank and your cylinder, you may need a plumber to look at this. Hope that helps

Delonglad - there is now water in the hot tops.... :p

Delonglad - there is now water in the hot tops.... :p

Probably just needed time to fill your cylinder. Still no water out here on the blackbog road. Head wrecking! :mad:

delonglad wrote: »
    Still no water out here on the blackbog road. Head wrecking! :mad:

I feel your pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 veron01

Our water came to a halt tonight. Nothing since. What is the story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Washing the dishes with Evian here.
    didnt ye always use evian for washing the dishes out the black bog road?

veron01 wrote: »
    Our water came to a halt tonight. Nothing since. What is the story?

Don't know. Both my neighbours have water but I don't. Haven't had any since Sunday morning. The problem appears to be between the stopcock and the sink but finding that problem is a bit of a problem. I've sent 4 kettles of warm water down on top of the stopcock but no water yet.

• Advertisement

Yes it is a bit baffling. I have no frozen pipes and water has been fine. Wonder is it a burst mains in town?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    didnt ye always use evian for washing the dishes out the black bog road?

haha not this end of the blackbog road.. Tis killing us students buying bottles of water..

Still no sign of it coming back yet either..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭The Gish

haha not this end of the blackbog road.. Tis killing us students buying bottles of water..

Still no sign of it coming back yet either..

Get some from Gully tonight? :)

Still no water. Can't understand this. Had water all through the cold weather and now that it's mild and we have none?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

aparently we have no water because the pipes underground are frozen....leading from the street into the house :(

dont know if that means its just gonna have thaw out, but its gonna be a long wait if thats the case

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

same here Nead ,:mad:

my water came back on at 545

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

im so jealous!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

DANNY22XX wrote: »
    my water came back on at 545

But you posted that at 4:58

• Advertisement