Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sprained Leg

Options
  • 10-01-2010 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hello There,
    My bernese has sprained his hind leg playing in the snow...he is limping badly but yet dos'nt seem to be in pain,& not yelping when its touched..he is still very active runing with my other dog. We are snowed in and my vet is over 30 miles away & I cant get him on the phone! Can anyone give me any advise on what I should do,if anything Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Don't let him run about anymore, keep him as quiet as possible, he might just of strained it a bit. So keeping him quiet and resting the leg is important, if it starts to swell or anything try the vet again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Did he sprain it today? If he did, apply (not directly) an icepack for a while to help bring down the swelling, see if it helps any.
    Also I'd restrict his play and keep him from areas where he could jump a lot or do lots of running around (I know that sounds mean) but it will stop him doing further damage right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

my fella has done this a couple of times, he's always fine by morning - if he's not a trip to the vet

if you can't get to the vet when he's settled for the night see if you can get a hot water bottle on where he is hurt (if he's not likely to eat it) the heat/warmth will help the healing, keep him quiet when he's up and about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

star-pants wrote: »
    If he did, apply (not directly) an icepack for a while to help bring down the swelling, see if it helps any.

need to do the ice straight away - if it's been a couple of hours or more you need heat/warmth

Paul91 wrote: »
    need to do the ice straight away - if it's been a couple of hours or more you need heat/warmth
    That's why I was asking when he sprained it exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mogeelyboy

Thanks for responding..there is absolutely no swelling... when he was napping this afternoon I checked...checked again tonight still ok...not a bother on him with his food,eating fine drinking & taking treats....its going to be a few days before i can get to the vet..just worrying the waiting may cause him some damage...he's a bloody demon for jumping & running & getting into all sorts of mischief....typical berner!it happened early this morning..

Good on you for keeping a close eye, as Paul pointed out - it's been too long to apply something cold, so perhaps if you think he's in any pain - do as Paul said about the heat application.
    Guineas also on the ball about restricting his area/rest - just for a while so as not to do any further damage, because it can be easily done once they've sprained or pulled something.

Took Paul's Advice..& applied the heat pack....one of thoes 'thingys' you heat in the microwave....you guessed it I'm now picking up... 50 millions beans lol....any more ideas!:rolleyes:

Oh noes!!
    A hot water bottle would have been preferable, rubber lasts a little longer with dogs. Do you have one? could you wrap it in a towel and put it in his basket under him? or even if you had him on your lap with the hotwaterbottle in a towel held in place between you n him?

Just to give you all an update on my bernese...the limping seems to be worse this morning,I contacted the vet who informs me he will need an Xray & anti-inflamatories...costing 200euro or more..I'm rightly up the creek now as I am retired & only receiving OAP,so no way can I afford that..I explained the situation to the vet to see if there was an easy pay option...but he dos'nt do that...(Im sure with the amount of visits Ive made to this same vet in the past paid for his 4 wheel drive)...but what Im wondering is....
    A. Would it be safe to give the dog Anti Inflamatory tabs for Humans

B.Is There any vet in the Cork area would Do easy pay Option..

C..Any way I can help the dog myself...

He's My pal & my Buddy& Im worried that he is such a good dog that he is in pain & I dont know it...any advice would be much appreciated..Thanks:(

• Advertisement

Firstly do not give dogs human medication! Unless certified by a vet or something there's no way of knowing what damage it might do.

Secondly - I believe (after googling) that aloe vera gel (organic shops sell them) rubbed into the joint *can* help. Again if your dog is quite fluffy it may not be effective if you can't get to the joint. But you might want to get an opinion on it.

If you were in Dublin I know the Blue Cross help out, I don't know if there's something similar in Cork but you could always call them and ask them if they know?
    Hopefully someone else on here from Cork may know of somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

You could try cashman and o driscolls in Glanmire. There was an issue with my insurance before (we couldn't figure out the excess!) so they let me pay on my next visit.

Considering they didn't demand payment straight away they would probably do an easy pay plan.
    021-4821248

Also there is a vets in Fermoy in Duntahane that seem to care more about the animals than the money since they fixed up a stray cat I found before and after keeping him in for 3 days, x-rays, drips, painkillers, anti-inflams and antibiotics they charged me a whole of 20euro :)
    Duntahane Veterinary Clinic
    Duntaheen rd Fermoy Co. Cork
    Tel: (025)33060

Another one is the vets by the fingerpost in Douglas. They are Gunnars regular vets and are extremely nice. I know they do spaying/neutering for a cork charity as well so they might be another vets who care again more for the animal than the money.
    021-4893033

What area are you living in and I can have an ask around to see if anyone knows a nice vet in that area for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

+1 to the aloe vera gel that star pants mentioned it's excellent stuff for healing. I've been using it for years for cuts and injuries (my gran used to run a business where she sold it) and it works wonders for animals too :)

Thanks Jen & to all that took the time to reply..going to give the vet in Fermoy a ring see if he can do anything ...:(having no money is depressing enough..wonder if i could donate an old farts body & get a few bob to pay a vet!

Advertisement