Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get a puppy....please help!

Options
  • 10-01-2010 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭

We have finally decided that our clan are old enough and responsible enough to have a puppy. We have decided that a Cavalier King Charles best suits, BUT WHERE do we go to get one?

I have written on 3 separate occasions to the IKC requesting a list of registered breeders in our area (Cork), but they haven't answered.
    I have seen dogs advertised, but am reluctant to go down the donedeal route.

Please, please help....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Have you tried ringing the IKC?

Also on their website here if you scroll down there's an entry for the Cavalier King Charles club, the lady in question may be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

http://www.irishdogs.ie

Left hand side, press puppies, and then the centre of a page, "Fine a dog"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club
    Mrs. E. Hurley
    14 Grange Park View, Raheny, Dublin 5.
    (01-8481621)

Try contacting this lady, her name is Evelyn and she should be able to point you in the direction of some breeders in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

It may come as a surprise to you but even alot of puppy mill pups are IKC reg'd :(. If you have done proper research on the breed then you know it is plagued by many genetical diseases and you must get a breeder who does health testing with the parents to cut out some of the problems they have.

Also, make sure the pup is from an epilepsy free line, epi is a curse for that breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

shivs wrote: »
    We have finally decided that our clan are old enough and responsible enough to have a puppy. We have decided that a Cavalier King Charles best suits, ..

From personal experience - lovely natured dogs but damn difficult to toilet train :eek:

Just to give you a headstart with what to expect :D

We went the donedeal route but IKC registered, chipped etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭shivs

Thanks for all the replies......that was fast!!!
    Really appreciate the advice, will call Evelyn and see how it goes. Seems like a minefield between genetics and toilet training!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

The IKC is the best route to go down but as mentioned there can be some doggy breeders there too.
    I don't want to put you off the breed if this is the one you have your heart set on but as some have already said there are a few health problems associated with the breed so I would implore you to do your research, don't be afraid to ask a million questions of a breeder (a good breeder won't mind) and best of look with your new family member.

lrushe wrote: »
    The IKC is the best route to go down but as mentioned there can be some doggy breeders there too.
    I don't want to put you off the breed if this is the one you have your heart set on but as some have already said there are a few health problems associated with the breed so I would implore you to do your research, don't be afraid to ask a million questions of a breeder (a good breeder won't mind) and best of look with your new family member.

Thank you so much for your reply.....Very much appreciated. We ARE open to any recommendations - the only reason we chose the King Charles, was because our neighbour said they were a "grand family dog!"

We need a "grand family dog", who can go for runs with my husband, be playful with the children (who are aged 12-7, so not babies) and who can become part of the clan.

Any suggestions would be most welcome and thank you for your help so far

Thank you so much for your reply.....Very much appreciated. We ARE open to any recommendations - the only reason we chose the King Charles, was because our neighbour said they were a "grand family dog!"

We need a "grand family dog", who can go for runs with my husband, be playful with the children (who are aged 12-7, so not babies) and who can become part of the clan.

Any suggestions would be most welcome and thank you for your help so far

Well if you have no preference on a particular breed I'd try a rescue. Your dog will come behaviour checked, spay / neutered, chipped, injected and wormed. The resuce will try their best to match you and the right dog up, you can meet the dog and spend sometime with it before deciding on whether or not the dog is right for you and your family. Plus the added benefit of a mixed breed dog is they are generally healthier, of course resuces often have pure breeds if that is your desire.

Thanks Irushe,

Maybe we can give that a try. I really appreciate you taking the time to advise me.
    My husband has his heart set on a purebred, so he will take a lot of convincing....it's not a snobbery thing, he's just a bit apprehensive re. the parentage of the dogs (esp with the kiddies)

• Advertisement

Thanks Irushe,

Maybe we can give that a try. I really appreciate you taking the time to advise me.
    My husband has his heart set on a purebred, so he will take a lot of convincing....it's not a snobbery thing, he's just a bit apprehensive re. the parentage of the dogs (esp with the kiddies)

I have 3 pure breeds myself so I understand that its not about snobbery. Just a note on parentage though, it will have v.little to do with how your dog turns out, it is 90% about how its raised, this would be the case with both pure and mixeds breeds. Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

the only reason we chose the King Charles, was because our neighbour said they were a "grand family dog!"

OP if this is all the research you have done on the King Charles then you should know that they are absolutely riddled with health problems. 50% of them have heart disease by the age of 5 and syringomyelia is rampant. And I'm not just talking about ones from puppy farms- the "top pedigree" ones are just as bad.

I think you should have a look at Pedigree Dogs Exposed (BBC documentary) and see for yourself the problems this breed has. Far too many people buy them because they want a "family pet" and do not research enough into the many health problems this breed has.

lrushe wrote: »
    I have 3 pure breeds myself so I understand that its not about snobbery. Just a note on parentage though, it will have v.little to do with how your dog turns out, it is 90% about how its raised, this would be the case with both pure and mixeds breeds. Best of luck :)

Really? Oh l had no idea.....that really changes things for us. I will be showing your post to hubbie in the morn. Thanks again! You've been a real help! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

Hiya,

If your getting a dog as a pup, as long as the kids respect it and handle it gently, chances are it'll grow up as a good family dog.

As others have said, CKC's are one of the breeds with serious health problems, but there are a lot of rescue puppies out there that are pedigrees.

The most striking dogs though are usually cross breeds, and cross breeds are generally healthier, as the dominant healthy genes are more likely to be passed on.

heres a site that only handle pups and young dogs, well worth a look. http://inistiogepuppyrescue.com/

I know everyone on this site is going to encourage you to rescue rather than buy, but I guarantee in the long run you'll be glad you saved your pup from a shelter than forked out big bucks for one!

EDIT: meant to say, if you do keep an eye on the rescue sites, and perhaps send them all an email saying your looking for a pup, when you do find a suitable match bring your hubbie to see it. chances are he wont be able to say no when the pups sitting infront of him!

votejohn wrote: »
    Hiya,

If your getting a dog as a pup, as long as the kids respect it and handle it gently, chances are it'll grow up as a good family dog.

As others have said, CKC's are one of the breeds with serious health problems, but there are a lot of rescue puppies out there that are pedigrees.

The most striking dogs though are usually cross breeds, and cross breeds are generally healthier, as the dominant healthy genes are more likely to be passed on.

heres a site that only handle pups and young dogs, well worth a look. http://inistiogepuppyrescue.com/

I know everyone on this site is going to encourage you to rescue rather than buy, but I guarantee in the long run you'll be glad you saved your pup from a shelter than forked out big bucks for one!

EDIT: meant to say, if you do keep an eye on the rescue sites, and perhaps send them all an email saying your looking for a pup, when you do find a suitable match bring your hubbie to see it. chances are he wont be able to say no when the pups sitting infront of him!

Thank you for your post. Will definitely have a rethink about the rescue. That was my problem initially.....just doesn't feel right charging so much to home a puppy - just feel some are in it for a quick buck - we just need a family friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

There is also Cavalier King Charles Rescue with tons of information on the breed

http://www.ckcsrescue.com

Also you can find loads of pedigree dogs and pups in rescue and a good site is

www.irishanimals.ie

There are many rescues that have their dogs in foster care homes so they are all very highly temperament tested.

Most important thing if you are buying or rescuing a dog is research!!! Loads of reading etc.

Find out the size of dog you want, exercise needs, food requirements, grooming requirements....etc

Best of Luck :D

Magenta wrote: »
    OP if this is all the research you have done on the King Charles then you should know that they are absolutely riddled with health problems. 50% of them have heart disease by the age of 5 and syringomyelia is rampant. And I'm not just talking about ones from puppy farms- the "top pedigree" ones are just as bad.

I think you should have a look at Pedigree Dogs Exposed (BBC documentary) and see for yourself the problems this breed has. Far too many people buy them because they want a "family pet" and do not research enough into the many health problems this breed has.

Hi Magenta,

Truly, this isn't the only research we have done. This is the reason that l have asked (in my original post) for a reputable breeder which maybe could advise.

Also, if you can make a suggestion as to another breed we could consider, I'd be most grateful. But, first and foremost, we DO need a family dog and will definitely take health into consideration

Hi Magenta,

Truly, this isn't the only research we have done. This is the reason that l have asked (in my original post) for a reputable breeder which maybe could advise.

Also, if you can make a suggestion as to another breed we could consider, I'd be most grateful. But, first and foremost, we DO need a family dog and will definitely take health into consideration

Hi,
    I would have to agree with everyone else and recommend a rescue. Any dog that is treated well and trained properly will be a good family pet. Dogs are brought to shelters/pounds for all kinds of reasons- their owner may have died, owner may be pregnant and decide they don't want the dog anymore, owner may buy a large breed puppy and then leave it to the pound because it "got too big", owner may have lost their job and no longer has the resources to care for the dog. Many rescues place dogs in foster homes so the fosterer can tell you exactly what kind of personality the dog has.
    It's a great feeling to rescue an animal and it usually means you don't have to housetrain them either :)

Magenta wrote: »
    Hi,
    I would have to agree with everyone else and recommend a rescue. Any dog that is treated well and trained properly will be a good family pet. Dogs are brought to shelters/pounds for all kinds of reasons- their owner may have died, owner may be pregnant and decide they don't want the dog anymore, owner may buy a large breed puppy and then leave it to the pound because it "got too big", owner may have lost their job and no longer has the resources to care for the dog. Many rescues place dogs in foster homes so the fosterer can tell you exactly what kind of personality the dog has.
    It's a great feeling to rescue an animal and it usually means you don't have to housetrain them either :)

Hi again....you have summed up exactly how l feel regarding a rescue dog. I DON'T want to be the one handing back a dog because they've grown too big/bit the postman/a child/become aggressive
    Am actually beginning to feel really apprehensive about this....considering 'Sea Monkeys' LOL!

Do you know if there's a person to call who can help....we live in Cork. Thanks a million and apologies for the detail.......am more cautious than pre-babies!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

I have a Cavalier King Charles and I would suggest thinking of another breed (Cross breeds are better health wise) She is only four months old and is already showing signs of Syringomyelia. She is scratching her head a lot. I thought her ears needed cleaning so I bought ear drops and cleaned her ears twice in the past week but she is still scratching so I am going to call the Vets for an appointment either thursday or friday to get her checked out.

Also 50% of Cavalier get heart problems by the ge of five and 80% of them have herart problems by the age of ten. This breed is riddled with problems and if you can deal with it or have enough money to keep the dog going to the vets or pay for constant treatments later on in its years then you wont be too bad in picking one up.

• Advertisement

Steve30x wrote: »
    I have a Cavalier King Charles and I would suggest thinking of another breed (Cross breeds are better health wise) She is only four months old and is already showing signs of Syringomyelia. She is scratching her head a lot. I thought her ears needed cleaning so I bought ear drops and cleaned her ears twice in the past week but she is still scratching so I am going to call the Vets for an appointment either thursday or friday to get her checked out.

Also 50% of Cavalier get heart problems by the ge of five and 80% of them have herart problems by the age of ten. This breed is riddled with problems and if you can deal with it or have enough money to keep the dog going to the vets or pay for constant treatments later on in its years then you wont be too bad in picking one up.

Thats horrible. It's not just the money, it's the heartbreak of watching your dog suffering too.

OP you could have just the same problems with a puppy you buy as with a rescue dog. A lot of the reasons people hand in dogs are reasons that could easily have been resolved.

"We bought a new house"- take the dog with you. Most of them fit in cars.
    "My landlord found out I bought a puppy and says I have to get rid of it"- you should have thought to mention it to your landlord BEFORE getting the puppy.
    "I bought this dog when I was 6 months pregnant, I'm due soon and I can't have a dog around the new baby"- these are the ones that really annoy me.
    "The dog got too big"- Well why did you buy a Labrador then?

As I say, most of the time, a dog comes into a rescue through no fault of his own.

You could talk with the rescues in your area and just explain what type of dog you are looking for. They are experienced in matching dogs with owners so should be able to help you pick a nice one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭AddictedToYou

If you want a dog that the other half can go for a run with, and also good with kids, one idea would be a Labrador. Full of energy and excellent temperament. However, be prepared that Labradors will not stop eating if food is there, so you need to watch their weight. Had a black labrador myself for years and she was an amazing dog. Everyone who came to the house liked her best out of our three dogs.

We have a Springer Spaniel, Jack Russell, and had a German Shepherd too so ask away if you're considering any of these.

I'd also like to give another vote to getting a dog from an animal shelter..

Steve30x wrote: »

Steve30x.......Thank you for the input-I really appreciate your complete honesty. I really hope that your dog is doing better by the time you read this. Sounds like you are doing all you can do for your dog. You have really highlighted the whole issue of owning a dog.

We would love a pup, we thought it would be simple, but reading your post, and your issues/concerns, it doesn't seemed so straightforward. (I'm not sure we put as much thought into our kids!!!!!!!)

OK.....HELP! A FAMILY/CHILD-FRIENDLY 12ISH-WEEK-OLD
    ABOUT THE SIZE OF A KING CHARLES
    NON-KID/POSTMAN BITER

STEVE30X- good luck and thank you!

OK.....HELP! A FAMILY/CHILD-FRIENDLY 12ISH-WEEK-OLD
    ABOUT THE SIZE OF A KING CHARLES
    NON-KID/POSTMAN BITER

STEVE30X- good luck and thank you!

You won't be able to tell if a 12 week old pup is going to bite children or the postman, it's how you raise it that counts :)

There's not that many puppies that young in rescue but there's so many that are 6-12 months.

If you want a dog that the other half can go for a run with, and also good with kids, one idea would be a Labrador. Full of energy and excellent temperament. However, be prepared that Labradors will not stop eating if food is there, so you need to watch their weight. Had a black labrador myself for years and she was an amazing dog. Everyone who came to the house liked her best out of our three dogs.

We have a Springer Spaniel, Jack Russell, and had a German Shepherd too so ask away if you're considering any of these.

I'd also like to give another vote to getting a dog from an animal shelter..

Hi ya....thank you....love labs, but way too big for us (3-bed).V v V scared of German Shepherds, as was bitten by one-couldn't even be near one-am sure the dog would sense my lunacy!!!!

Does the Springer need loads of space?

OP here is a link to IrishAnimals.ie they have a Homes Needed Section
    This is for dogs in Cork & Kerry, you can also search by bred e.g. Spaniels, terriers

http://www.irishanimals.ie/corkkerry_homes.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Would you consider a cocker?
    Not much bigger and well able for the running, and the playing with kids.
    We had one growing up and they're great dogs. Again you have to be careful with health checks(not as many problems as KC), but thats the same with all pedigree's these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cucoigcrice

Hi, just thought i would add to all the folks recommendations- if your are thinking about a cKC which are beautiful dog but as some1 already said have health problems get it insured asap as alot of them can run up big vet bills with medications.
    On the other hand a rescue dog would be great as you are giving a dog whom could be put to sleep a 2nd chance.
    I recommend a golden retriever i think they are a great family dog. i know alot of people may disagree but staffies can also make good family pets. Alot of people will say they have got bad press recently but believe me its not staffies, it is irish staff's which are actually pit bulls. but then again any dog can be aggressive it all depends on the owners.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭AddictedToYou

Hi ya....thank you....love labs, but way too big for us (3-bed).V v V scared of German Shepherds, as was bitten by one-couldn't even be near one-am sure the dog would sense my lunacy!!!!

Does the Springer need loads of space?

You gotta be able to handle the GSDs alright! Ours passed away at the end of December but getting another one soon hopefully, so on the hunt like you!

In general, Springers are known to be very energetic and require a good deal of exercise, but our Springer is ridiculously lazy:D I can't see any problem in them being kept in a three-bed, but do need to be taken on long walks everyday. They love playing fetch as it is their natural instinct as gundogs, and love walks in woods where they can sniff around. Excellent temperament too.

Also, maybe check out West Highland Terriers and Bichon Frises if you want a small dog. No personal experience to help you with though, but just came into my head as friends of mine have them.

Good luck!

• Advertisement

Thanks so much guys for your input. We really appreciate your advice...am boggled! Still non the wiser....We don't need designer-dog, just a family pet, we can love.
    Friendly/won't bite the postman/the kids/ can be left alone for 4 hours a day-3days a week/not too big

Advertisement