Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get a puppy....please help!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I always fly the flag for the Japanese Spitz, not just because I own one but because imo they are a highly under rated family dog. My fella is almost 9 years old and is still full of beans so well up to going running still. I have my guy obedience trained which I found easy enough. They are a medium sized breed and compared to most breeds they are more or less illness free, other than a cut paw and his yearly check up I've never had Ben in a vet. They love their family, though they can be a bit stand offish with strangers. My fella loves to chase a ball and go swimming and is an all round smashing dog.:)
    Some pics to give you an idea of how they look, Ben's the white one:
    Brook & Ben1.JPG

Brook & Ben3.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

lrushe wrote: »
    I always fly the flag for the Japanese Spitz, ]

I walk a jap spitz and im absolutely in love with her, she's my only experience of the breed and she is just a joy! The most loving, friendly little doggie, trots along by my feet the whole time and gets on fab with every dog she meets!

Edit: those pics!! I dont know which dog i want to steal from you more!!!

Heres lilly, the little one I walk (loves to get dirty) http://www.creedonsdoggiedaycare.com/index-6.html

And another with a Samoyed I walk (little and large) http://www.creedonsdoggiedaycare.com/index-6.html#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I always fly the flag for the Japanese Spitz, not just because I own one but because imo they are a highly under rated family dog. My fella is almost 9 years old and is still full of beans so well up to going running still. I have my guy obedience trained which I found easy enough. They are a medium sized breed and compared to most breeds they are more or less illness free, other than a cut paw and his yearly check up I've never had Ben in a vet. They love their family, though they can be a bit stand offish with strangers. My fella loves to chase a ball and go swimming and is an all round smashing dog.:)
    Some pics to give you an idea of how they look, Ben's the white one:
    Brook & Ben1.JPG

Brook & Ben3.JPG

Oh my god they are so beautiful!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

shivs wrote: »
    Thanks so much guys for your input. We really appreciate your advice...am boggled! Still non the wiser....We don't need designer-dog, just a family pet, we can love.
    Friendly/won't bite the postman/the kids/ can be left alone for 4 hours a day-3days a week/not too big

How about a border collie. I know they arent lap dogs , but they dont get too big , they are very easy to train , they are very affectionate , theyre medium sized (Most of them grow no bigger than 18 inches) , theyre very loyal and they wont bite unless they are seriously provoked. I also have a Border collie and had one before. I can say they are very healthy and in my experience they are fantastic dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

Try a few sites like these,http://www.dogsindepth.com/index.html OR http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/index.htm

The Canadian one is good, choose a breed, when the page comes up you have to click "Breed description and information" at the top of the page and you're off.

When you find a breed that suites, check out all the health issues etc and then you'll be more informed when you find a breeder.

• Advertisement

Steve30x wrote: »
    How about a border collie. I know they arent lap dogs , but they dont get too big , they are very easy to train , they are very affectionate , theyre medium sized (Most of them grow no bigger than 18 inches) , theyre very loyal and they wont bite unless they are seriously provoked. I also have a Border collie and had one before. I can say they are very healthy and in my experience they are fantastic dogs.

My only gripe with a Border Collie is that they can be a little too intelligent for the average household. In novice hands and not properly simulated they can became distructive and even start to nip. Collies imo are more suited to a working or agility lifestyle, something that will challenge them daily. Again just my opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

My only gripe with a Border Collie is that they can be a little too intelligent for the average household. In novice hands and not properly simulated they can became distructive and even start to nip. Collies imo are more suited to a working or agility lifestyle, something that will challenge them daily. Again just my opinion!

I agree, Border Collies in general are not suited to pet homes. Look up Border Collie rescues- they are VERY strict about who they home to because the dogs go mad with boredom- they are the most intelligent breed in the world- some rescues will not home them to people who do not own sheep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

I have two terriers, one a jack russell, and the other a jack mix. I love them, best dogs ever. The mix loves kids, loves other people, adores all other animals, she is as ould as the hills now. The Jack Russell also loves kids sooo much, as soon as a kid comes into the house she wants them to play, she is energetic and loves walks, a little shy with adult strangers, but never barks at them, she has no problem with cats, but she will try and chase my rabbits, she is also good with poultry because she was raised with them.

As long as you don't live near a farm where people own chickens and such, I recommend a Jack Russell.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

OP, the West Cork Animal Welfare Group is based in Clonakilty. Why don't you and your other half (leave the kids at home for the first trip, they will want every dog!) make an appointment to go see them and talk through your needs? They will be able to make targeted suggestions based on the individual dogs they have, rather than you having to go on various breeds' typical traits.

I would go with the recommendations above for a rescue, for the reasons mentioned, and also I think it's much better not to get a puppy as your first dog as it's a lot to take on. As others have mentioned, given your fears about safety etc, a lot more will be known about an older dog's temperament and it is likely to be a better fit for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

wow, there's some great advice here! this is my first post on this particular forum so i hope you don't mind if i give u my thoughts.?

I can't own a dog at the moment but I help out my sister who has three and a cat! But i've had four dogs for their full lifespan. so here goes.

the temperment of the dog is the most important thing to you. the range in dog temperments is as wide as in humans. so if i was you i'd...

get a female, they are better around children, especially when they get older.

get a dog from a rescue centre, it will save you a fortune in bills as the dog will be spayed, most likely chipped, and will be in good health.

get a mongrel as they are more intelligent than pedigrees (thats just my opinion, every dog differs) i had a pedigree springer spaniel as a child and it needed a lot of exercise and wasn't very sharp, and it kept straying. in fact, i found a beautiful English setter deep in the wicklow hills a couple of years ago that had strayed or had been dumped. while i was getting him a home i'd take him for walks and he'd set off over the hills, it took me hours to get him back (well, at least an hour)

its important that both adults like dogs and that the dog likes you! why not go as a couple to a rescue centre and then use your intuition when meeting the dogs?

many breeds are trained wrongly and have bad reps! jack russells and other terriers! but they can be great around children if properly treated and trained (the males can be difficult when older) my girlfriend has two dogs, a crossbreed irish setter and a highland terrier, both terrific dogs but badly trained (i.e. not!) and viciously territorial!

if i had a choice i'd get two dogs because they like company but since u have kids one may be enough! i'd get a collie crossbreed, incredibly intelligent, my mum has a terrier mongrel and that dog, female, can almost speak! it certainly understands many different commands and is a great watchdog.

as this is my first post here I just want to say to those who help rescue and foster dogs here that you are the finest people in the world. and i haven't had anything to drink! this forum fills me with hope!

as the last poster said, there's a place in clonakilty, which, as you know as a Corkman, is one of the most beautiful corners in ireland. wonderful beaches around there, make a day of it! good luck!

edit: i'd personally get a collie crossbreed if i had a choice, hopefully in 12 months, but it may be too much for a family, sometimes a lazy dog is a good choice!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Welcome to the forum, and I agree with some of your points but I must respond to the following
    Not always true actually, can depend on the dog itself. In fact some breeds are just generally better around children than others.
    get a dog from a rescue centre, it will save you a fortune in bills as the dog will be spayed, most likely chipped, and will be in good health.
    Yes rescue route is always encouraged, but - if money is an issue you shouldn't be getting a dog, they do cost a lot no matter how you get them. And you have to pay a fee/donation to rescue a dog, insurance, and so forth.
    get a mongrel as they are more intelligent than pedigrees (thats just my opinion, every dog differs) i had a pedigree springer spaniel as a child and it needed a lot of exercise and wasn't very sharp, and it kept straying. in fact, i found a beautiful English setter deep in the wicklow hills a couple of years ago that had strayed or had been dumped. while i was getting him a home i'd take him for walks and he'd set off over the hills, it took me hours to get him back (well, at least an hour)
    No offence, and obviously that's your opinion, but a LOT of people here will disagree with you. Certain dogs (mixed or pure) need a lot of exercise. Certain dog (mixed or pure) may not be overly bright. I've two pure bred Lhasas and I tell you they're very quick.
    Regarding the English Setter, you let it off the lead in a large open area (without knowing if it was trained or not) and expected it to just know to come back to you? Not really his fault.

Dogs don't automatically know everything you want them to. You have to train them, this takes time and patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

Magenta wrote: »
    I agree, Border Collies in general are not suited to pet homes. Look up Border Collie rescues- they are VERY strict about who they home to because the dogs go mad with boredom- they are the most intelligent breed in the world- some rescues will not home them to people who do not own sheep.

Theyre not all that bad. The Guy I had before as a puppy done a bit of digging (Dont most puppies do that anyway) but grew out of that after two months. Once I brought him for an hour long walk every day and played ball with him in the back garden a few times during the day he was not destructive or nippy. The only time he nipped is if you seriously provoked him and let me tell you it took a lot to get him to nip at you. My sister had her kids (2 and 4 years old) over and they pulled and tore at him and he never once nipped one of them. He was a great guard dog though , but once he got to know you he would be a great friend.

get a mongrel as they are more intelligent than pedigrees (thats just my opinion, every dog differs) i had a pedigree springer spaniel as a child and it needed a lot of exercise and wasn't very sharp,

Female or male dog , doesnt matter. Itsa how they are reared that matters. If the dog is reared wrong then they wont be great around kids.

As for your mongrel statement. In many cases you are right but some cases you are wrong. Mongrels are generaly healthier than a pure breed dog but for instance a Border Collie is one of the sturdiest dogs you can get. Also I dont agree with the Intelligence of all pure breed dogs not being intelligent. The Cavalier King Charles isnt the brightest of pure breed dogs but they are intelligent or the best breed you can get for brains is a border collie which is almost human like with their intelligence.

I got a second hand Play Pen for dogs and it had a bar missing under the door big enough for my cavalier to go through. The first night I got the play pen last week I had both puppies in there so that I could eat my dinner in peace , I was eating my dinner and next thing my Cavalier was over my dinner , so I picked her up and put her back in the play pen, ten seconds after I sat down I saw her getting out of the play pen again. She is very clever.

I saw a program called the secret life of dogs that shows a pure breed border collie that know the difference between 400 different commands. The dog was so intelligent that they had toys in another room and they showed the dog a picture of the toy , they sent the dog off to the other room and the dog brought back the toy that was in the picture from the other room. So you cant say all pure breed dogs are as clever as a breeze block. Yes cross breed dogs can be better sometimes but when it comes to the border collie you are wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

In a not totally different set of circs to the OP so here's my take...

You are looking for quite a lot in your dog - for example one that will be active enough to run with your OH but be quiet around kids and ok in a normal sized house. I really think you should have a sit down as a family and decide on teh priorities. Likewise if you both work outside the home then that needs to be considered.

In our case we live in a semi with a pretty big garden. I run a lot and I wanted a dog that would be smart, good with kids and energetic enough to come with me but ok in the garden on his own occasionally during the day and that would be tough enough to be mainly an outside dog.

We got a lab/collie cross at about 6 mths old from rescue. He cost around €80 (donations and what have you) and is a total joy. Great with the kids (8 and 6 now but a lot smaller when we got him!), smart enough to be trained and trusted to run off lead and just a really well mannered, even tempered dog. He is a big lump of a dog, incredibly strong and muscular without any fat. And he eats a LOT. Good quality dog food for an active larger dog is pricey. If your OH runs a lot (4 - 6 days a week, 30+ miles) then thats a hefty workload for a dog and you'd be looking at a working or gundog breed. Remember that until a dog is 2 years old you can't run with it as teh joints are still forming.

We now have a baby springer spaniel, this time (for my wife) we went the breeder, pedigree route. Ironically the dog has more health problems than a dog from rescue and being significantly younger we're doing all of teh house training now, which is a pain. Likewise a slightly older dog tends not to cry as much at night (a big consideration if you have neighbours).

Research, research, research is the key to it all - because no matter how much you do (as I have now found out) committing to an animal is a complicated and serious commitment and there will be unexpected surprises. The more you know going in the smaller those surprises will be!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cazmcco

Hi!!

First off I would like to say that NO dog is born vicious, it is the way they are treated by humans that will decide that. So if you treat it well (which i have no doubt that you will) then you will have very little problems in that regard.

If your looking for a small family dog then you should prob be looking at a terrior mix. We have had two terrior mongrels for years (the mother is almost 12 and the daughter is 7 yrs old) and they were class growing up! Perfect for the house, unbelievibly intelligent (the mother loves going for drives and knows the sound of my keys over anyone elses in the house :D as im the only one that brings her!) and they have a lovely mix of being very energetic when we need company, but eqaully as quite when evening comes!

I dont know your family situation, but I would recommend two dogs regardless of how many children you have or how many hours they will be left alone (as long as you can afford them) simply becasue the are wonderful company for each other. We had the mother for a number of years before she had pups, she was the center of the family (even came on holidays with us :D) and was rarely left on her own, but since we kept one of the pups shes like another dog and we wonder how she managed before!!

If your husband wants to bring it for runs etc then I would also recommend a lab.They may be on the big side, but if your husband runs regularily then alot of their energy will be spent on that. In my experience they are perfect for a family, energetic but also very very gentle and can be the laziest lumps when they feel like it :D!!!

good luck with your search!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Can I just throw in my views on the CKC please? Everything I've read so far has been quite negative and the OP doesn't seem to have been given the positives - yet!

I've had mine, Molly, for just over eight years and I wouldn't part with her for all the money in the world. She is just about the most loving dog I've ever known and has never caused me a minute's worry. Yes, I am very aware of the genetic problems that this particular breed has and, yes, I did see the BBC programme which highlighted these - scared me half to death - but as long as you are aware of these difficulties at the outset and are prepared to take them on if, or when, they happen, then I don't see what the problem is?

At her last check-up, our vet said that she's starting to show signs of a heart murmur but is nothing to worry about so far. I should have had her insured when she was a pup, but never got round to it, and would highly recommend it to anyone now.

I've had so much pleasure, companionship and love from my own dog that I would recommend them to anyone - despite their problems! If you truly have your heart set on a CKC, then my advice would be to try and find a reputable dealer who tests for syringomyelia. It's not easy, but they are out there.

Good luck with your search OP and I hope you find the dog that's best for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 irish horse

i have bred cavas for the last twenty years with no complaints. my girls get more Christmas cards than i do.the are bred as companion dogs and that is what the are
    the love company all pedigree dogs have different problems but as a family dog the are hard to beat.look around if you dont like the set up walk away

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Carina

Ref CKC's We have a 6 year old, sister in law has a 7 year old & brother has 2. None of us have had any problems with them. Very loving dogs & as said great with kids. Have to say I grew up with larger dogs but bought the CKC as the wife & kids wanted a small dog - best move ever ! Good luck with your search :D

i have bred cavas for the last twenty years with no complaints. my girls get more Christmas cards than i do.the are bred as companion dogs and that is what the are
    the love company all pedigree dogs have different problems but as a family dog the are hard to beat.look around if you dont like the set up walk away
    Carina wrote: »
    Ref CKC's We have a 6 year old, sister in law has a 7 year old & brother has 2. None of us have had any problems with them. Very loving dogs & as said great with kids. Have to say I grew up with larger dogs but bought the CKC as the wife & kids wanted a small dog - best move ever ! Good luck with your search :D

CKC's are lovely dogs when bred properly, I don't think anyone would dispute this, its not the breeds fault that greedy people have taken advantage of their cute face and gentle disposition for their own gain. That said I think the OP should be made aware of the numerous health problems the breed suffers from to make an informed decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

OP, I would just like to say fair play on researching before buying, I know it can be tough if your kids are begging for a pup :p so really, well done.

I would second Shanagarry's post and recommend actually going to visit a rescue and get to know some of the dogs they have available for homing. They can also advise you on what type of dog will be suited to your family's lifestyle.

My boyfriends parents had a beautiful CKC who sadly died of heart complications at just 5, we still miss him so much :( We have three rescues ourselves and they are in great health luckily. If you have your heart set on a CKC this site provides a wealth of information not just on SM but on what to look for when getting a Cavalier pup too: http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/

Personally, I could never hand over money to a breeder for a dog when there are so many awaiting homes in rescue, but honestly I would never judge someone who loves a particular breed for going to a responsible breeder.

Responsible breeders who genuinely care about the improvement, preservation and good health of their breed should be applauded and supported. If this means waiting for a puppy for 2 years, so be it. I wish there was more of them though :( I've seen far too many sick puppies go early or get sick.

Good luck with your search OP :)

Advertisement