Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you recommend.....

Options
  • 10-01-2010 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi all,

We have finally decided that our children are old/responsible enough to have a puppy. The Cavalier King Charles would suit us, but WHERE do we go to get one? I have written on 3 separate occasions to the IKC requesting a list of breeders in Cork, but they haven't replied.

I have seen dogs advertised on donedeal.ie, but am reluctant to go down this route.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated....thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Why not go to a dog shelter?

Plenty of animals looking for a loving home

http://www.animalcaresociety.ie/index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭shivs

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Why not go to a dog shelter?

Plenty of animals looking for a loving home

Hi....thanks for your reply. We did consider this, but not sure our kids could handle either choosing or leaving dogs behind.
    We want a cavalier, as our neighbours have one, and it's temperament is really calm and suits our needs...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

i love the king charles too but i actually thought they were known to be bad tempered ... no ?:confused:

i love the king charles too but i actually thought they were known to be bad tempered ... no ?:confused:

Noooooooo- really sweet-tempered, gentle dogs. Think that's why they are popular with families.
    Our neighbours one is cuddled to bits by our 10 year old, and never reacts negatively or seems to mind a bit.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

You should get a bichon frise - the cutesy sweetest dogs and the don't shed! We have one for 7 years now and he is part of the family. Great with kids too! I have a contact for a lady in macroom that breeds them if you like

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    You should get a bichon frise - the cutesy sweetest dogs and the don't shed! We have one for 7 years now and he is part of the family. Great with kids too! I have a contact for a lady in macroom that breeds them if you like

Thanks leahyl.....have just googled...they are adorable. Are they tiny tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

shivs wrote: »
    Thanks leahyl.....have just googled...they are adorable. Are they tiny tho?

No they are about the size of the a king Charles maybe a little smaller. They have a great temperament so would be great with kids!

leahyl wrote: »
    No they are about the size of the a king Charles maybe a little smaller. They have a great temperament so would be great with kids!

Hi again......talked to dh about it, as had a mammoth task convincing him that a King Charles WASN'T too small...I don't have a chance with any dog with the potential to be a cm smaller!!!! LOL

Thank you so much though....the search continues

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Why dont you want to go down the route of donedeal?

I got my samoyed from donedeal.ie

King Charles are listed here:
    http://www.donedeal.ie/find/dogs/for-sale/Ireland/Cavalier

Hogzy wrote: »
    Why dont you want to go down the route of donedeal?

I got my samoyed from donedeal.ie

King Charles are listed here:
    http://www.donedeal.ie/find/dogs/for-sale/Ireland/Cavalier

Thanks Hogzy.......The ONLY reason l didn't go down the donedeal route is because a workmate got a dog from there (with 'papers', which turned out to be false). Anyway, the dog had a lot of health issues etc.

I do know there are genuine sellers out there, am just concerned I'll be the lemon who will pick the unscrupulous one!
    Good luck with your samoyed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

shivs, we have two king charles, great pets but you need to either have two of them or have somebody at home during the day. they REALLY do crave company, if you even ignore them for an hour they get quite put out!

try looking on buy and sell or munster free ads if based in munster ..

corkcomp wrote: »
    shivs, we have two king charles, great pets but you need to either have two of them or have somebody at home during the day. they REALLY do crave company, if you even ignore them for an hour they get quite put out!

try looking on buy and sell or munster free ads if based in munster ..

Thanks corkcomp.....I am based in Munster. Hmmmm.....may need to rethink breed....can't possibly get two dogs.

Just a question.....a rescue dog was suggested...which do you consider more important, how you raise the dog or knowing it's parentage, so you may have an idea of it's personality traits?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

If you can, and you want a dog that's absolutely fantastic with children, get a dog that's failed its tests for the blind. My uncle has one, and got it when my cousin was about nine, it's amazing, friendliest dog going, but knows to do what it's told. Compassionate and intelligent, they're the loveliest of dogs, but just not quite cut out for a rigorous life.

I don't know how you go about getting one though. I'd imagine a donation to the charity would be part of it, but seeing as you're going to a dog breeder anyway, it's a moot point.

shivs wrote: »
    Thanks corkcomp.....I am based in Munster. Hmmmm.....may need to rethink breed....can't possibly get two dogs.

Just a question.....a rescue dog was suggested...which do you consider more important, how you raise the dog or knowing it's parentage, so you may have an idea of it's personality traits?

Dogs are very much like people, first impressions and all that, if ye like the dog and the dog likes ye etc. Someone posted a link before Christmas to some dog shelter, I think it was in West Cork, the folks who ran it had the personalities of the dogs there described and also the type of folk suitable to adopt them. I shall try and dig it out.

Here we go http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055754935, this place here http://www.westcorkanimals.com/.

Premium puppies for sale will always be bought, these homeless dogs need someone to adopt them, should I ever be looking to buy a dog I think I will be adopting one. Still as a 29 year old single chap getting a dog isn't high on the list of my priorities, I do love the a Yorkshire Terrier that my sister has though to be honest :o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Busyness

I've got to say I'd look at dog shelters - saying that you don't think your kids could choose and the thought of leaving dogs behind is a poor excuse - if you're looking at a family of thoroughbreds you'll be leaving many behind too.

We got our dog 2 years ago in a shelter, he was completely neglected, the vet thought he was 8 years old. After around 6 months or so the dog had a new lease of life - the vet's revised estimate is that he is 3 years old. You can really give a dog a new home.

After Christmas there's no lack of dogs in a shelter, I'm sure you'll have a great selection.

I wouldn't be too worried about knowing the dogs parentage. Our neighbours had 2 labradors - bought from England no less. They both had to be put down as they were too aggressive.

Busyness wrote: »

I wouldn't be too worried about knowing the dogs parentage. Our neighbours had 2 labradors - bought from England no less. They both had to be put down as they were too aggressive.

+1, the parents bought a Yorkshire Terrier years ago, he wasn't cheap and was from a reputable source, he was lovely 99.9% of the time but bit all of us and my uncle and we had to have him destroyed. Mum and Dad brought him into the dogs home, I was about 11 or 12 I think, Dad was only speaking about it last week, Mum God rest her was in bits, it was the middle of winter and she had to have sunglasses on going there and back to the car as she was heartbroken to have him put down and was in tears. Nice little dude was Rusty but when he got his teeth into you he was vicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

terriers are awful dogs, always yappity yap..!!

we had a king charles and he died new years night, bless him. the most wonderful little fellow we ever had.

if you want a dog for company and who doesnt bite and love kids a king charles is up there as the daddy of them all.

ours had the mvd problem tho, so get one from a good breeder. ours died at 12 almost 13. (which seems their age to go to a even more heavenly place than a couch beside the fire)

best pet ever so he was , Max.

King Charles are just incredible little dogs....

terriers are awful dogs, always yappity yap..!!

we had a king charles and he died new years night, bless him. the most wonderful little fellow we ever had.

if you want a dog for company and who doesnt bite and love kids a king charles is up there as the daddy of them all.

ours had the mvd problem tho, so get one from a good breeder. ours died at 12 almost 13. (which seems their age to go to a even more heavenly place than a couch beside the fire)

best pet ever so he was , Max.

King Charles are just incredible little dogs....

Oh I'm so sorry to hear - you all must be heartbroken over Max
    Thanks so much for your reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

thanks.

Max is gone to a better place now. with his own couch.

we are off dogs for a while right now but king charles are lovely dogs but they DO need loads of attention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭bealfeirste5

Speaking from experience, id recommend a jack russell. Fun, lively and great with kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

Speaking from experience, id recommend a jack russell. Fun, lively and great with kids!

Had 2 as when I was a kid one a dote -the other was a bit snappy think something a bit calmer might suit.

Look at the dogs home -these are dogs that are vetted -they know what the dogs are like and won't GIVE you with an unsuitable one.
    http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/adoption.html
    I don't think you have to go around somewhere with cages -i think many of them are in foster care with families.

Buying a dog just encourages people to breed pups for money. There are enough fantastic dogs looking for a home at the moment without breeding more to be dumped/mistreated

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

I heard that King Charles dogs are susceptible to health problems. I have a friend who had one that only made it to 8 and the next one she got went deaf after a year. They still have him and he's really funny sometimes.

Get a knee high mongrel. Will live longer, and they're not pretentious at all!

Advertisement