Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking money from credit card

Options
  • 10-01-2010 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

I dont have my pin number and im looking to take money out of my credit card, just wondering if i go into the bank with the card can i take the money out and sign something instead of using the pin? Looking to buy a car and dont have the money until friday, dont know if the dealer would allow me to sign instead of using the pin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

m.j.w wrote: »
    I dont have my pin number and im looking to take money out of my credit card, just wondering if i go into the bank with the card can i take the money out and sign something instead of using the pin? Looking to buy a car and dont have the money until friday, dont know if the dealer would allow me to sign instead of using the pin

Unsure about this.. Also for the amount for a car a cash advance fee would be charged which would be significant enough

The dealer technically should only accept pin now.

If its a car would the dealer not just wait till Friday for the money. Put a deposit down earlier if needs be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

If you withdraw cash from a credit card you pay interest straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Dabouche

You can do a visa cash advance in any branch without the pin. i would advise you to bring photo id. you will be charged a cash advance fee irregardless but in relation to cash advance interest that all depends on whether you clear the bill on which this transaction takes place by the due date. how much are you looking to withdraw from the visa? some banks put a tolerance of 10,000euro on daily withdrawal limits so make sure you check what your banks limit is.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Can't the dealer wait until Friday for payment? Could you write a cheque?

Also, if you don't 'have' the PIN number, you should request a new card ASAP. The PIN number should not be written down anywhere - it should exist solely in your head.

Ring your branch and ask them if they can give you a new PIN (not sure if they do this) or send you a new card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Ring the dealer, say you cant make it in or something and pay over the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭IKOS

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Ring the dealer, say you cant make it in or something and pay over the phone.

Some dealers wont accept cards in full payment. I tried this as it was more convenient but they insisted on a bank draft - they said that was cleared quicker than personal cheques and not as expensive as cards - the banks 2% or such.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

How much is the car? Most cash advance are around 1.5% or more. If you take out €5000 it'll cost you €75 plus the interest, which will accrue as soon as you withdraw the cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Oh -sorry I presumed he was talking about a deposit for the car.
    OP can you pay a deposit and the rest on Friday?
    In this case, over the phone should do it (Ive done this before for a deposit).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Sometimes the car dealer won't accept payment by credit card for the whole amount unless he charges you the extra that the cc company charges him for commission.

Edit, as IKOS says

Advertisement