Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does UPC need special modem settings for use of VPN?

• 10-01-2010 11:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

I need to use VPN to logon to work but it wont let me. I am connected via VPN but I cant access parts of the company network. My IT dept checked and all setting on the laptop and VPN are correct, so its most likely a problem with UPC. Does anyone of you know what setting I need to check on the modem for it to work properly?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Poncke wrote: »
    I need to use VPN to logon to work but it wont let me. I am connected via VPN but I cant access parts of the company network. My IT dept checked and all setting on the laptop and VPN are correct, so its most likely a problem with UPC. Does anyone of you know what setting I need to check on the modem for it to work properly?

I use VPN to connect to work and never had any problems, but could depend on the software you use to connect. try to connect the laptop directly to the modem not via router to test.

Have you tried testing with another ISP? to test if the problem is only with UPC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

nava wrote: »

Have you tried testing with another ISP? to test if the problem is only with UPC.

We tested the VPN connection on a sepparate line at work and it works fine. Also VPN works in my mate's house and it does work at my parents in the Netherlands as well. I have tried everything here at home and it will connect to VPN but it wont let me access my work network. But when I pick up the laptop and go to another ISP it works like a charm. Also colleagues have UPC and it works for them too. So we think might be a UPC issue just for my area because another colleague living a few houses down the road has the exact same issue as me.

I tried direct connection with LAN cable, we tried different servers on the VPN, NAT Support, connection is tested and I can ping the network, it just wont let me on the shared drives, intranet and outlook.

It must be UPC or the modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

We tested the VPN connection on a sepparate line at work and it works fine. Also VPN works in my mate's house and it does work at my parents in the Netherlands as well. I have tried everything here at home and it will connect to VPN but it wont let me access my work network. But when I pick up the laptop and go to another ISP it works like a charm. Also colleagues have UPC and it works for them too. So we think might be a UPC issue just for my area because another colleague living a few houses down the road has the exact same issue as me.

I tried direct connection with LAN cable, we tried different servers on the VPN, NAT Support, connection is tested and I can ping the network, it just wont let me on the shared drives, intranet and outlook.

Is your local LAN using the same ip range as your work network? It's possible that the UPC kit is using the same range which would prevent accessing work machines as they would be "local" addresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

No issue with VPN and UPC for me. I know not much help to you.

ElBarco wrote: »
    Is your local LAN using the same ip range as your work network? It's possible that the UPC kit is using the same range which would prevent accessing work machines as they would be "local" addresses.

That is correct, it would not work, but thats not the case either :) IP ranges are completely different, I am on 79.x.x.x and work is on 13.x.x.x.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

There's no setting in the modem you can change but if you want to look at the modem it should be http://192.168.100.1 user: root Passw: root

From all the testing you done sounds you have it clear is an issue with UPC in your area. You might need to give them a call but might take them a while to fix it. Try to get them to pass you to someone in 2nd level support also try email with all the info you can get.

Did u try connecting the Laptop directly to the Modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

That is correct, it would not work, but thats not the case either :) IP ranges are completely different, I am on 79.x.x.x and work is on 13.x.x.x.

Always worth a shot! Is the 13.x.x.x range assigned to your company? UPC may be routing the traffic to the owners of that range if not - got me one time and caused no end of issues.

Not much more I can add I'm afraid other than the always unhelpful info that I've a few UPC customers using a VPN without issues.

nava wrote: »
    There's no setting in the modem you can change but if you want to look at the modem it should be http://192.168.100.1 user: root Passw: root

From all the testing you done sounds you have it clear is an issue with UPC in your area. You might need to give them a call but might take them a while to fix it. Try to get them to pass you to someone in 2nd level support also try email with all the info you can get.

Did u try connecting the Laptop directly to the Modem?

I did Nava, directly onto the modem. No fix. I think I need to call UPC then. I figured that as well, I just hope they will get me in touch with 2nd level quickly. I really dont feel like talking to the helpdesk agent and their flowchart troubleshooting :)

ElBarco wrote: »
    Always worth a shot! Is the 13.x.x.x range assigned to your company? UPC may be routing the traffic to the owners of that range if not - got me one time and caused no end of issues.

Thats worth asking indeed. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

If you are using a cisco type VPN client you can change the udp setting to tcp. Your IT deparment should be able to help you more .. UDP on high ports has a dendancy to cause issues. Mostly these are issues you find in hotels etc but they should be able to give you a bit more advice other then its "fine" Most VPN clients can be set to TCP over port 80 which will clarify if you have high port UDP issues.

You will be wasting your time on to UPC if you can access normal activities such as web browsing etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement