Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to the front.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

"No plan survives contact with the enemy"

I did the Kildare Half marathon near the start of May.
    2h1m

Was so close to sub 2. The course was tougher then i expected and my training before hand was left then ideal.

College and work took precdence(Along with moving) so the last month things have really been busy. Diet and exercise went all to hell.

Anyway. I now have my bike and while its a different model i have taken her out for a few test runs.

Today i did a return to work in the rain. 55km or so. I have to say i barely felt it.
    I remember doing that about 2 years ago and i would've been in a heap by the time i got home.

I plan to get back to a proper routine pretty soon now that chaos has begun to abate.

General Aim over the summer is regular work cycles( 1-2) a week and pushing up my run distances. I also really need to do my home work on a weights routine(Yeah i know i've said that one before).

Last week off work and away so nothing major.

Except on day one i dusted off the bike and cycled to Dungarvan.

200km in a single day. Hell of a way to spend first day off work in an age.
    Took 12 hours or so.

-Need to carry less gear. Back was the sorest part by the end of it.
    -Cycle computer died at the start. Couldnt monitor progress
    -GPS on new phone is a life saver
    -Was still a little new on the bike so was reluctant to really let her fly.

I have a few long distance cycles in mind over the summer as well as getting the running back to normal.

This week is mostly going to involve planning and getting the diet back to pre exam/chaos madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

200k is epic! Well done!!

Here is the thing about these fitness blogs/message boards.

I keep meaning to updating it then forgetting to do so. I think i need to be doing something decent to make it worthwhile.

Screw that.

The last month has been pretty good. I haven't been cycling nearly as much but have been running a fair amount. I seem to be averaging about 40km a week now.

I cannot recommend the nike+ add on for the ipod highly enough. I had to replace my trusty creative zen v plus after 3 years of faithful service. I had to go Ipod since creative dont really do a small player anymore.

The Nike+ is an add on with a senor in your runner that measures your distance, pace etc. Keeps me well on track.

Been doing a bit of weights work as well. 2/3 times a week.

So in short, I run about 4 times a week. Do weights about 2/3 times a week.. Cycle... maybe once a week at the moment. Need to change that.

Diet could be better. Still too many bloody lattes!

Christ i need to update this more.

Right. Im hanging around the 210lbs mark weight wise.

To be honest its not actually bothering me that much. I probably should pay a little more attention to it.

Diet. Could be better. Still drinking those lattes in work.

Weights. Actually this is going a lot better. Im getting 2/3 good basic weight sessions in the gym. I did a bit of reading and watching videos. The main issue is time and its a secondary importance to running

Cardio. Bike is about 20%... actually more like 10% but my running(With the exception of the cold last week) is going really well. Still holding about 30/40km a week and begining to break out on the long runs.

Though i must say. The more i spend on proper training gear.. the more of a choad i look like....

• Advertisement

Attempted a LSR today.

Made it 17miles and then stepped incorrectly and seemed to hurt it. Well it didnt seem to hurt that much and made it another few miles but it got a worse.
    Since it wasnt a race and just training i called it quits at mile 20 and took the train back home.

Not bad considering my previous longest run was 13 miles.

Iced the foot and it feels ok now. I'll take it easy for the next few days.

Points to note

-Used a hydration pack. Can see it being useful in training but not at a race.
    -Rain.. Meh. Its going to rain whenever it wants to. Might as well get used to it.
    - Fecking unused canal trails. Uneven ground was my undoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Agent J wrote: »
    Attempted a LSR today.

Made it 17miles and then stepped incorrectly and seemed to hurt it. Well it didnt seem to hurt that much and made it another few miles but it got a worse.
    Since it wasnt a race and just training i called it quits at mile 20 and took the train back home.

Not bad considering my previous longest run was 13 miles.

Iced the foot and it feels ok now. I'll take it easy for the next few days.

Points to note

-Used a hydration pack. Can see it being useful in training but not at a race.
    -Rain.. Meh. Its going to rain whenever it wants to. Might as well get used to it.
    - Fecking unused canal trails. Uneven ground was my undoing.

Ouch. Hope its ok.

Great progress though. Well done!

That foot is not healing up as fast as i'd like.

Did 5km last night as a test and cycled into work today (25km).

Im going to take the next week off training to let it heal. Maybe see a doc if its still the same.

Went to Doc about foot nearly 2 weeks ago.

Ordered 2 weeks rest and no half marathon.

Took it as a oppertunity to tighten up on diet. Dropped 6lbs over 3 weeks.

Currently at 14st 10lbs.

Foot is still niggly though. May have to go to physio if not ok by weekend.
    Marathon training has taken major knock.

Advertisement