Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dropped External Hard Drive

• 11-01-2010 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Help,I dropped my Western Digital 500GB external hard drive on the wooden floor while it was running,since then only the blue light comes on and my laptop dosen't reconise it.No noise comes out of it.
    Can it be fixed?I need some files from it.Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Best thing to do is rip the caddy apart and see if any ribbon / sata or power cables got dislodged from the HDD during the fall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

thats f00ked im affraid.

you could try them recovery guys, gonna cost you tho.

a drop on a wodden floor while its running is instant death

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved to Comp and Tech from laptops.
    Yeah i'd take it apart as well and see if anything has become disconnected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Melanoma

If you could get another known good disk drive and compare the two visually. This might reveal something.

If the recording head crashed into the media then it may have got stuck like a mirror gets stuck to another mirror when laid flat on top of each other. Now if it were possible to take it apart (dangerous springs up) get the head off the media (it rips of damaging the media) and put in the remaining platters into a good disk drive and try to recover the files it might work.

This is a job though to hard for the average Joe. I'd say its broke and that's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

take the hdd unit out and shove it into a caddy, an external usb caddy

be a miracle if it boots up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Sometimes sticking it in the freezer for a couple of hours can work just giving you enough time to retrieve data from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Melanoma

Sometimes sticking it in the freezer for a couple of hours can work just giving you enough time to retrieve data from it.

Funny thing it might work. If the recording device contracted at a different rate to the media it might lift off. Genus idea!!:D

Advertisement