Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Respect to single parents!

Options
  • 11-01-2010 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

Just spent 4+days with my little one as a seperated single parent as a man with access. Due to the cold weather and schools being closed etc.

Have to say I am exhausted, it was just me and her (4yrs old), damn I'm tired with having to entertain her, play with her etc. I loved it and enjoyed it, but at times I just wanted to sleep! Even for an hour it would have been great, no chance.

Fell into bed in the early hours only to be woken regularly for a pee (her). Sleepy head on me every morning, giving her breakfast: Choice of toasted sandwhich, Porridge, toast etc. Plus as soon as the sun comes up it is 'get up time'.

Oh how I prayed for toast as an option for breakfast, so easy to do. But more often than not the toasty sandwhich was the menu choice (ham and grated cheese melted via the sandwhich maker). I crawled to the kitchen with big sleepy head to cook breakfast. Then in between boredom spells she wants to play physical games, riding on my back steering me around the room 'Dragon back' it is called.

Then there is the Elephant game where she holds onto my leg trying not to fall off. Hide and seek though is good I can sit and re-cuperate whilst she hides.

It is all good, but I have to say I am challenged to say the least. I do not know how single parents do this full time with school and other responsibilities. It is definately a labour of love for sure. *Signed one exhausted dad*.

I still love it though;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

Just spent 4+days with my little one as a seperated single parent as a man with access. Due to the cold weather and schools being closed etc.

Have to say I am exhausted, it was just me and her (4yrs old), damn I'm tired with having to entertain her, play with her etc. I loved it and enjoyed it, but at times I just wanted to sleep! Even for an hour it would have been great, no chance.

Fell into bed in the early hours only to be woken regularly for a pee (her). Sleepy head on me every morning, giving her breakfast: Choice of toasted sandwhich, Porridge, toast etc. Plus as soon as the sun comes up it is 'get up time'.

Oh how I prayed for toast as an option for breakfast, so easy to do. But more often than not the toasty sandwhich was the menu choice (ham and grated cheese melted via the sandwhich maker). I crawled to the kitchen with big sleepy head to cook breakfast. Then in between boredom spells she wants to play physical games, riding on my back steering me around the room 'Dragon back' it is called.

Then there is the Elephant game where she holds onto my leg trying not to fall off. Hide and seek though is good I can sit and re-cuperate whilst she hides.

It is all good, but I have to say I am challenged to say the least. I do not know how single parents do this full time with school and other responsibilities. It is definately a labour of love for sure. *Signed one exhausted dad*.

I still love it though;)

que monotone "wheres ella...?"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

lol Deliverance, its hard isnt it. I was a single parent to my first and when I had my second the first few weeks I was flying, people were asking me how I was and I kept saying, geez this is handy, I have someone to share responsibility with this time but as soon as the little one started moving about all I could think of was how I handled it the first time around.

Its one of those things though isnt it, you cope because you have to. My sister bought me a mothers day card for my first mothers day, I must root it out and put the poem up here, had me in tears.

Fair play to you all:D Your kids will respect you for it when they grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Wow. You got to stay in bed till the sun came up. Lucky man! Now you know why we are all demented.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I have just become a single parent to a 11 month old, I am tired and because of the break up I am severely depressed, but my DS of course is only interested in tearing the apartment apart. I don't know am I exhausted from the upset/him/is he keeping me too busy/Both! Irreguardless they are worth every moment:) I wouldn't be without him for every cent that is in Europe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Its so hard when they are that young. I used to stand outside in the garden and just cry and cry from the exhaustion. I didnt hit the dream cycle in sleep until he was 18 mos old. Its brutal. Hang in there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement