Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is this? Black and Tans on the move

Options
  • 11-01-2010 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

It is an image I have seen many times and everytime I see it, I always ask where is it.

And I came across it again tonight in this youtube film and it starts at 6.29 in the film and can be seen at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjI1LrZuqAM&NR=1`

Any ideas please?

D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Very famous footage but no idea where it was taken though. Nice clip :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

did you message the youtube video creator?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

did you message the youtube video creator?

Brian - No I didn't but will have a look at this now.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

If you are talking about the bit where they are in the cars then that would be Inistoige in County Kilkenny At 52.487929,-7.067149 And this would be about the same time as Woodstock was burnt in 1922 by one of the groups or the black and tans. The fools. The cars are driving up towards Woodstock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭donaghs

Hard to tell where from the very short sequence.

Are you sure it's real footage? Could it be from a film? e.g. like "Irish Destiny" (1926)

Part of this clip from that film looks like Enniskerry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tj9YpSaOqM&feature=related

Trying to find more info or photo on Woodstock and Tans. Seems like the house was occupied by Black & Tans, and then Free State army. And was later burned down by the anti-Treaty IRA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Thank you very much your Lordship. That's great.

I have seen this image used in many documentaries over the years & often wondered where it was. I have never been there but will pop down as I am in that area quite often.

Isn't History a very consuming, never ending interest? This history forum is introducing me to something new everyday and filling in the gaps on other things for me.

Thankfully this is a gap that is now filled.

Thank you.

D.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Dummy wrote: »
    It is an image I have seen many times and everytime I see it, I always ask where is it.

And I came across it again tonight in this youtube film and it starts at 6.29 in the film and can be seen at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjI1LrZuqAM&NR=1`

Any ideas please?

D

Great video.

See at 3.23 there is a list of '197 more sent to England' on 8 May (presumably 1916?). Just saw an 'Edward Boylan' from Dunboyne on the list. Underneath him is Peter, John and Joseph Boylan "same address". What's the betting that they are all relations of Seán Boylan from Dunboyne and that the 'John' in question was Seán Boylan's father, also Seán, who later commanded the IRA in Meath during the War of Independence.

I'd love to find that full list somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

donaghs wrote: »
    Hard to tell where from the very short sequence.

Are you sure it's real footage? Could it be from a film? e.g. like "Irish Destiny" (1926)

Part of this clip from that film looks like Enniskerry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tj9YpSaOqM&feature=related

Trying to find more info or photo on Woodstock and Tans. Seems like the house was occupied by Black & Tans, and then Free State army. And was later burned down by the anti-Treaty IRA.

In the film the village is the spitting image of Enniskerry (don't know any other village that fits the layout), the lake looks like Glendalough and the ruins are also looking like Gendalough.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

jmayo wrote: »
    In the film the village is the spitting image of Enniskerry (don't know any other village that fits the layout), the lake looks like Glendalough and the ruins are also looking like Gendalough.

Comparing the video at 1:42 with the following:

259192_fcc556dc.jpg

....you can see it's Enniskerry Clock Tower.

Advertisement