Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Play to win?

Options
  • 11-01-2010 12:00am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ry wrote: »
    In all honesty I don't have much respect for Guile players (No offence Doom :))

Tell you what, why don't you pick Guile and I'll pick Ryu at the next ranbat we meet in and I'll see if you get a healthy new respect :)

Guile players play in that style in general because it is an effective way to win.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

iaf Doom you do ascribe to the Guile stereotype that he's talking about :pac: (that said I don't disrespect or have any problem with it, but you do have quite a one-dimensional playstyle)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    iaf Doom you do ascribe to the Guile stereotype that he's talking about :pac: (that said I don't disrespect or have any problem with it, but you do have quite a one-dimensional playstyle)

I'll do whatever will win me the match. Playing with Guile you have to have a game plan going in. I play differently when a Ryu or a Sagat traps me with endless hadokens. That's the way the game works :)

Just splitting this off because it's an interesting topic and don't want to derail the video thread anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I will happily abuse something that works until it doesn't and then I'll start mixing things up again.

I'd be more annoyed if someone went easy on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

considering how much stick terry gets for picking sagat, doom you should be able to take a little 'your a boring guile player' stick on the chin :p

Personally since I played as guile a bit myself I understand him and generally enjoy fighting guiles.

Actually I've found almost every guile I've played to be quite different from each other.

When I played guile I loved to do the auld medium punch into flash as much as possible. If I landed a jump in I'd be trying jumping hk into c.mp into flash kick. But on the d-pad my thumb would start to annoy me after while as I'd be squeezing down a charge all the time with guile, so I didn't play him much.

Some guiles with any jab they land on you it'll turn into another jab into medium punch and flashkick/boom and these guys will actually be trying to cross me over all the time.

The most annoying guile I played however, was this guy who'd jump in and land 4x lk's on me, then run away and turtle the rest of the match.

If I got him, he'd just repeat the whole thing, another 4x lk's and run away. I was more annoyed that I wasn't fast enough on stick to deal with something I'd have no issue blocking with on a pad however, as thats all the guy did thus I saw it coming from a mile away. But from his perspective, it was working so he had no need to change.

Never the less it was so infuriating losing to 4 feckin light kicks that I lost a lot of patience, thus did even worse in the match then I would have say.. if the guy was beating me with something fancy. As then I'd just be impressed and not frustrated.

Guile wants you to be frustrated.

I enjoy guile and I'll pick him up again when I get my octo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Who gives a **** what people think about X character and X playstyle etc? Obviously if a character was really that bad/unusable they wouldn't be allowed (going off about banned characters etc, which I know is not OT discussion)

Anyway, as far as playstyles/character usage is concerned, yiu just need to get the job done. And thus that boils down to tools etc you have at your disposal based on your char, knowledge of matchups and the like. Obviously stick Terry gets at the end of the day is just slagging, people just dislike Sagat a lot. But I think it's more mentality. It just comes down to your way of doing things.

I'll do whatever will win me the match. Playing with Guile you have to have a game plan going in. I play differently when a Ryu or a Sagat traps me with endless hadokens. That's the way the game works :)

I don't disagree with that at all (nor do I think it's different for any other character) (except rufus)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I will happily abuse something that works until it doesn't and then I'll start mixing things up again.

That's part of it as well. When I fight someone I don't want them taking the piss out of me. I want what they've got, not least so I can learn from them.

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    considering how much stick terry gets for picking sagat, doom you should be able to take a little 'your a boring guile player' stick on the chin :p

Chances are if you pick out a random post by azza there'll be a Guile insult. I'm fine with that. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Back when it was just my brother and I playing Killer Instinct and SFII on the SNES we had a rule of not being allowed use the same move 3 times in a row to stop Hadouken spamming matches. 15 years laters I still sort of have that mentality floating around - having a fun, varied match is well ahead of me actually wanting to win. If you play me, you'll probably often hear me apologising for using too many throws or relying on chips or other 'cheap' techniques throughout the match. =D

Obviously there's a certain degree of wanting to win involved, I'd get pretty sick of losing if it kept happening to me, and when I'm forced into a corner by someone who does rely on a repetetive fighting style it just makes me fight all the harder to try and circumvent them, which ultimately gives me a more fun game.
    will happily abuse something that works until it doesn't and then I'll start mixing things up again.

Thar be the truth. Nothing annoys me more than getting patronised in a match. I was beaten by a Makota player in 7 seconds once online and still hold it as one of my favourite matches XD

Sairus wrote: »
    Back when it was just my brother and I playing Killer Instinct and SFII on the SNES we had a rule of not being allowed use the same move 3 times in a row to stop Hadouken spamming matches. 15 years laters I still sort of have that mentality floating around - having a fun, varied match is well ahead of me actually wanting to win. If you play me, you'll probably often hear me apologising for using too many throws or relying on chips or other 'cheap' techniques throughout the match. =D

There's a nasty word bandied about for this mentality in the Fighting game scene but in truth I think everyone did something similar with their respective brothers when they were kids.

As an adult if someone asked me to stop spamming, my reaction would be "make me". I wouldn't mean that nastily: that's the game. Develop a counter strategy.

It's not me being superior either. I play with a character who can be spammed by anyone with a command projectile as opposed to a charge. You have to go for it at a delibrately awkward time, and close the opponent down.

The guy I play with most will spam hadokens all day sometimes and I'm happy he does as it means when it's time to face Ryu or Sagat in a tournament how to get past it has become muscle memory. It makes me a better player. That's where the fun is for me. Introdcucing house rules only serves to make you play worse, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

As an adult if someone asked me to stop spamming, my reaction would be "make me". I wouldn't mean that nastily: that's the game. Develop a counter strategy.
    Oh dont worrry, as I said later on in my above post, I'm completely okay with fighting people who spam. I've been playing long enough to recognise it as a valid fighting style: if it's in the game, by all means use it. I just rarely do so.
    Introdcucing house rules only serves to make you play worse, imo.
    Without a doubt I agree with this XD I lose fairly consistantly whenever I head down the tourneys in the Dublin gaming cafe!

Oh dont worrry, as I said later on in my above post, I'm completely okay with fighting people who spam. I've been playing long enough to recognise it as a valid fighting style: if it's in the game, by all means use it. I just rarely do so.

Without a doubt I agree with this XD I lose fairly consistantly whenever I head down the tourneys in the Dublin gaming cafe!

LOL. Nothing to be ashamed of in that, I lose all the time too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

in the Lan party, i got knocked out cause some one kept abusing the rufus kick, was a bit annoying and came across as cheap but its completely my fault for not being able to block those on reaction.
    So cheap may be cheap [flow chart ken] but if you can win against it then up your game.
    But play to win maybe in competitions, play to learn otherwise. Unless youre doom and have a seeding [sap ;)]

Ry's just furious cause he keeps losing, specially to guiles [even G3's], its hilarious watching him go crazy and tearing his hair out. But, man, just hadouken that sonic boom back. Silly boy. Up your game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I lose fairly consistantly whenever I head down the tourneys in the Dublin gaming cafe!

You haven't been to a tourny yet have you?! I remember you came to casuals once (you play rose right)? You should come along more.

Back on topic, playing to win. Obviously with sagat, you play to win by sitting back and firing tiger shots all day. It works on a lot of players (G3, G2 to a certain extent) but I don't tend to do it that much at ranbats because i know it wont work (or at least it shouldn't!). How many times have you heard kiki say "needs more tiger shots" in my videos :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

There's a nasty word bandied about for this mentality in the Fighting game scene but in truth I think everyone did something similar with their respective brothers when they were kids.

It's not me being superior either. I play with a character who can be spammed by anyone with a command projectile as opposed to a charge. You have to go for it at a delibrately awkward time, and close the opponent down.

The guy I play with most will spam hadokens all day sometimes and I'm happy he does as it means when it's time to face Ryu or Sagat in a tournament how to get past it has become muscle memory. It makes me a better player. That's where the fun is for me. Introdcucing house rules only serves to make you play worse, imo.

FTW!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I usually find it easy to beat people that use spammy tactics. They can catch you by surprise but you can adjust easily. Playing my useless mates this happens a lot when you are caught off gaurd by what can only be called idiotic and suicidal behaviour in any other match. However the lag from online play usually favours a lot of spammy behaviour. I'm guessing a lot of players find spammy tactics that work and stick with them. However offline the same tactics probably wouldn't work.

Placebo wrote: »
    in the Lan party, i got knocked out cause some one kept abusing the rufus kick, was a bit annoying and came across as cheap but its completely my fault for not being able to block those on reaction.
    So cheap may be cheap [flow chart ken] but if you can win against it then up your game.
    But play to win maybe in competitions, play to learn otherwise. Unless youre doom and have a seeding [sap ;)]

Ry's just furious cause he keeps losing, specially to guiles [even G3's], its hilarious watching him go crazy and tearing his hair out. But, man, just hadouken that sonic boom back. Silly boy. Up your game.

Bigtime. RYU vs GUILE in a fireball game........ only one winner there, and its not guile.

animaX wrote: »
    You haven't been to a tourny yet have you?! I remember you came to casuals once (you play rose right)? You should come along more.

Back on topic, playing to win. Obviously with sagat, you play to win by sitting back and firing tiger shots all day. It works on a lot of players (G3, G2 to a certain extent) but I don't tend to do it that much at ranbats because i know it wont work (or at least it shouldn't!). How many times have you heard kiki say "needs more tiger shots" in my videos :P

1) Yes!!! A Rose player! You so have to come, and preferably, beat Azza. :D

2) animaX I think ultimately you are making the right decision. tiger spam should be an option, not your whole game, as everyone and their ma will be well practiced at fighting it.

• Advertisement

animaX wrote: »

Absolutley..... Watching you play (especially against Guile) I am always thinking - "man tiger the sh1t out of it, he wont be able to deal with it." The thing to do (FTW) is to do it when necessary. I know, from fighting Doom constantly, that if I just fireball all day, he will get in around it and punish me (especially since he now has his jumping three hard hit combo down) but it is a useful tool if you need to push him back or pin him in a corner. Vary it up, but let me say this..... If I came up against even a half decent Gief, or some other non fireball character, I would be laying the fireballs into them.

Play to win...... or in my case, try to play to win :)

pic.php?oid=AAAAAQAQfh27ARj6geGCQ9AzpEvu0wAAAAnKKohNUEwbodXIsnjQ3_wc
    this is me irl

pic.php?oid=AAAAAQAQfh27ARj6geGCQ9AzpEvu0wAAAAnKKohNUEwbodXIsnjQ3_wc
    this is me irl

Doom has long been telling me to fight you.... He reckons you'd have me. From watching your match ups against him, I can see why :)

We should have a casual on Sat...

Try not to embarrass me too much. :o

Sounds good man, thought I'd played you before actually, must've been someone else. Who do you play?

Sounds good man, thought I'd played you before actually, must've been someone else. Who do you play?

I play Ryu. Don't think we have played. I have seen you and Doom play live at the last tourney - I wasn't good enough to get out of the group :(

I need to train harder =p

Ahh right, yeah we should defo get some games in. That tourney was the first time I managed to get out of the group stages myself, a lot of it comes down to who you draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Tell you what, why don't you pick Guile and I'll pick Ryu at the next ranbat we meet in and I'll see if you get a healthy new respect :)

Guile players play in that style in general because it is an effective way to win.

Haha! Well I know for a fact you've practiced your Ryu and tbh I've never willingly picked Guile at a single character select so odds are you'd take it.

That said. I fully understand it's an effective strategy and I wouldn't say "don't use it because it's lame". All I was saying is it bores the crap out of me and it seriously detracts from my enjoyment of the game as a whole when I'm faced with it because whatever the outcome, win or lose the fight has always sucked! :)
    Placebo wrote: »

I'll be honest. This was the case for a long time until I figured out how to get around it. This is what has lead me to feel the way I do on the topic but as a whole wheather I win or lose now having learnt how to play around it I still don't enjoy the matches one bit cuz they are in all honest, crap fights and not entertaining at all which is the main reason I play for fun and entertainment.

P.S. Farz you're still bitter about me bursting your bubble in the last thread over you finding someone else named Farzad online so enough pap from you thanks :)
    ayjayirl wrote: »
    Bigtime. RYU vs GUILE in a fireball game........ only one winner there, and its not guile.

So on average how often do you win VS Doom? Being that you're a Ryu player. :)

Ryu, Ken, Honda, Sagat, Abel, Sakura, Akuma, Gouken, Chun Li.........

These are the ones he is practiced at........

It can be frustrating :(

Ry wrote: »

So on average how often do you win VS Doom? Being that you're a Ryu player. :)

Last night it was 10-8 to him. I had days where I can't touch him and others where I beat him well. It depends.... Is he a better player? Without doubt, but thats not really the issue. If ou can beat someone once, then you always have a good chance of beating them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

ayjayirl wrote: »
    Last night it was 10-8 to him. I had days where I can't touch him and others where I beat him well. It depends.... Is he a better player? Without doubt, but thats not really the issue. If ou can beat someone once, then you always have a good chance of beating them.

That's good I remember when you'd complain about being completely unable to touch him so I'd say it's pretty satisfying knowing you've come on from that. :)

Advertisement