Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday 12th - Strong winds, Heavy Rain & Surprise Snow

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

so we can expect some snow will it be heavy will it lie when should it come??? why arnt other areas inland getting snow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Forecast synoptic set up for noon today:

102243.gif

and midnight tonight:
    102242.gif

Source: http://www.knmi.nl/

Rodar08 wrote: »
    I swear to god guys I've been woken out of my sleep ...... by a strange noise. No kidding about. It's coming and going, sounds like screaching sometimes and really close to my house. Like it sounds like the a spaceship is trying to land in my garden but it doesnt fit so it's squeezing in lol. Sounds also like a car engine in the distance sometimes when it's not really loud like it's outside my house. It stayed for about 2 minute then stops for about 1 minute. Jesus it's seriously freaky right now. Almost sounds like metal screatching off something sometimes. I'm a little freaked out tbh - all your talk of banshees Wolfe - made me jump up and go and wake my brother - he hears it too.

Of course I am too afraid to look out the window ...:confused: ... I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation. (North Donegal)

Not sure about Banshees but the wind is really screaming around here. Maybe it is up there too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 eastie

Lads, those rural dwellers who had snow yesterday beware if your going driving this morning. I stupidly thought all was well with the world now that the snow has gone, however whats underneath is worse, thick ice and it hasnt melted yet. Not only that its now wet thick ice. I just spent 20 minutes stuck right across the road as the car skidded and I couldnt get any drip, after much back and forth I finally got enough grip to park it up at a neighbours house and walk back home through the wind and rain, and icy roads in the dark. Unreal. I suppose I'll try it again later but watch out, if anything at the moment on rural untreated roads its worse than yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Melbourne had its highest night time temp last night. 37c :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The Eagle on the radio now has said (a couple of times) sleet and snow across the 'middle of the country' - no specific locations - just the 'middle of the country'. Take from that what you will!

3.2c DP 1.0c here atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Huge gust here in Mayo just then, blew open the living room and kitchen doors! Made me and the cats jump!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Not sure about Banshees but the wind is really screaming around here. Maybe it is up there too?

Yeah well I can hear the winds when the really loud noise stops but it's not the strongest wind I've ever heard by far. When it comes back it almost starts off as really gusty wind but then weird noises are in the middle of it too. I live beside the swilly, bout .5 km from it but it's only a big lake really.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Temperature falling, DP -0.4°C and falling, I have a bad feeling about this :(

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Rodar08 wrote: »
    Yeah well I can hear the winds when the really loud noise stops but it's not the strongest wind I've ever heard by far. When it comes back it almost starts off as really gusty wind but then weird noises are in the middle of it too. I live beside the swilly, bout .5 km from it but it's only a big lake really.

Yes, it is only a light breeze really compared to the real thing but from an unusual direction here (ESE) so it is making weird screaming, howling noises where screaming, howling noises rarely occur!

• Advertisement

No rain though! I went for a drive yesterday into Conemmara. The snow shield around Ballinrobe done its job the other night, only 10kms to my west (Clonbur) the roads were near enough un passable due to lying snow!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Supercell wrote: »

A number of weeks ago, would this have been a good feeling? :rolleyes:

DP down to 0.8c here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hi all!! it is STORMY here in Cork City this morning! Just came into work and the cross winds are unreal with the driving rain! Dangerous for driving - take care:)

snaps wrote: »
    No rain though! I went for a drive yesterday into Conemmara. The snow shield around Ballinrobe done its job the other night, only 10kms to my west (Clonbur) the roads were near enough un passable due to lying snow!

There is still a bit of lying slush here around town which is just lethal to walk on. Hopefully the rain later will wash away what is left as it just looks mank now. All or nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

ooooooh do share:-) I too have a bad feeling - Im off todo the school run. Very bad feeling - see you in about 2 hours :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Jaysus leahyl you wud have been freaking here last night (round page16) we had a very spooky night:( and my the 'sounds' of it it's continuing thus morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Don't want to alarm you but you could be in bother alright.

Places today could see alot of blinding snow

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

DOCARCH wrote: »
    The Eagle on the radio now has said (a couple of times) sleet and snow across the 'middle of the country' - no specific locations - just the 'middle of the country'. Take from that what you will!

3.2c DP 1.0c here atm.

ye i heard that. did he mean centre of the country i wonder. he is quite a character

redsunset wrote: »
    Don't want to alarm you but you could be in bother alright.

Places today could see alot of blinding snow

the schools might be caught out yet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

irish1967 wrote: »
    Jaysus leahyl you wud have been freaking here last night (round page16) we had a very spooky night:( and my the 'sounds' of it it's continuing thus morning.

It's BAD irish1967 it's BAD!! There has been so much rain already - if this keeps going all day we are in deep s**t:D!

• Advertisement

temps rising steady here, 3.9c now.

inabina wrote: »
    ye i heard that. did he mean centre of the country i wonder. he is quite a character

Hedging! Nobody can 100% forecast where it might rain, sleet or snow.

3.1c DP 0.8c

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

WHERE IS WOLFE?

OK; am going to take - or PUT - the dogs out ... Back later if the wind doesn;t blow me away... find some wool, put my earplugs in and hibernate....

Stay safe out there...

the schools might be caught out yet

Thats exactly what I said as soon as he announced the return to schools - usually when a decision like that is made, it catches us on the hop & SURPRISE :D

seems like this baby is moving fast and going due north. SW cork already seeing a clearing. Funny, the rain isnt making it in this far inland here. Not a drop so far. seems to just be heading up the mid west coast.

image.ashx?country=gb&type=slide&index=12&time=&sat=ir

image.ashx?country=gb&type=slide&time=&index=1&sat=ir

snaps wrote: »
    seems like this baby is moving fast and going due north. SW cork already seeing a clearing. Funny, the rain isnt making it in this far inland here. Not a drop so far. seems to just be heading up the mid west coast.

image.ashx?country=gb&type=slide&index=12&time=&sat=ir

image.ashx?country=gb&type=slide&time=&index=1&sat=ir

its some baby!:D

its some baby!:D

Already gusting 48km & itsno where near us yet :mad:

met radar does indeed show it making little progress north eastward. that circular disc on radar is back too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The circular disk on the shannon radar is because they turned it down or took it off some channels ( or both) likely so it does not blow up before they get the new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Some parts of Cork are deadly now. I live on top of a hill and could not get the car out again. Thick compact ice with belting rain running over it. the walk to the bus was dangerous. Fell for the first time and slid down part fo the hill. Hopefully it will all disappear today.
    F*CK off ICE!!!!!

Advertisement