Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday 12th - Strong winds, Heavy Rain & Surprise Snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

3.3/0.6

dry here at the mo,look's to warm here for any snow.
    was out last nite about 1ish,there was a frost out but after the recent temp's it felt positively balmy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ludo wrote: »
    Some parts of Cork are deadly now. I live on top of a hill and could not get the car out again. Thick compact ice with belting rain running over it. the walk to the bus was dangerous. Fell for the first time and slid down part fo the hill. Hopefully it will all disappear today.
    F*CK off ICE!!!!!

Ah you like the ice really!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Ok I haven't heard anythin very loud now for about 15 minutes. The wind is only starting to pick up here now so I dunno :confused:. I ventured outside being brave like I am and didn't see anything unusual. So no spaceships in the garden thank god.

Oh, some whistling there now and a little screaching along with a fairly strong gust, not as freaky as earlier but yeah I think it was something to do with the wind or air pressure or something. Nothing else seems to explain it at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

can u trust the dew points here? Marathon (off south coast) 0, sandyford -2.4.?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

inabina wrote: »
    can u trust the dew points here? Marathon (off south coast) 0, sandyford -2.4.?

I take it you're taking DP off NRA site in Sandyford? If you are, it's wrong (and has been for sometime).

2.9c DP 0.8c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Went out today and the conditions on the footpaths are the worst they have been over the entire Christmas period. There is a very thick layer of ice covering the entire footpath. I stood still on it and because of the strong winds, I starting sliding down the road! Very very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

If you look at the 0815 time frame of the satellite imagery posted a few minutes ago, doesn't it look like a giant eagle with some strange creature caught in its throat? Perhaps that's a banshee.

Anyway, here's an updated analysis. The centre is now moving NNW and pulling the whole system in that direction, so that the occluded front will only make slow progress east. It (technically I would say a polar occlusion) is lying just offshore from Kerry but a parallel occlusion (of tropical air) is running through Cork. Rain continues quite heavy between these two features. They will tend to merge later, I think, with the leading one stealing most of the energy.

A warm front can be seen on the satellite imagery, running from about Cornwall to southwest tip of Wales to Isle of Man. To the west of that, you can pick out the continuation of it at the surface, a pseudo-warm front draped across north-central Ireland. This feature is just lying in wait for the moisture, and when it is absorbed into the system, this is when snow will probably break out.

The key question will be, whether the combined warm front continues to be pulled further south and west into the system, or hangs about where it is now, although it can snow in the zone in between, just more likely at high elevations and not sticking at low elevations (in that zone).

If somebody with a graphics program would like to have a go at sketching that onto a radar or satellite image, it might be helpful. Dublin (naturally) happens to be very close to the buckle point on this warm front (which would be defined as a back-door cold front if it starts drifting south and west). I expect that when the precip starts there about 0900-0930, we're going to get reports of some snow, some sleet, some rain, even some ice pellets, but then more rain and less of the other things. But some at higher elevations may get heavy wet snow. And some of our intrepid observers in Meath, Westmeath, possibly even further south, will be seeing snow. It's very marginal through that zone, and rather than being hard to predict, I would say it's more like a prediction of mixed types and as you go further north or higher up, more snow.

One other thing, I believe the storm has peaked in intensity across the southwest but may hold at this intensity for 2-3 more hours. It will shortly get worse in Clare and Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

I just drove to Cork city and as bad as the main roads are the back roads round north Cork are lethal.the ice is still there but because of the rain the roads look clear so be very careful if you have to go out.

edit; my wife just rang to tell me a 60 ft tree has come down across the boreen where I live, trapping about 9 housholds(there is no other way out)

paddybar wrote: »
    I just drove to Cork city and as bad as the main roads are the back roads round north Cork are lethal.the ice is still there but because of the rain the roads look clear so be very careful if you have to go out.

Yup a work colleague of mine drove from Rathcormac/Fermoy and said the roads down around there are still lethal even though they LOOK 'grand'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Cork (Leahyl country) still looking wet for the next few hours:

102245.gif

50 knot wind speeds in the nearby Atlantic! :eek:

102244.gif

24mph 10 min mean here at the moment, although gusts not exceeding 40mph.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

There are some severe gusts here and the paths are lethal - sheets of black ice everywhere! Made an abortive attempt to walk to work & had to come back for the car! Be careful out there .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

Just wondering is this still supposed to be a storm because its a hurricane where I am. have not seen winds as strong as this in a long time. cant even open the door, power gone in kerry. its unbelievable :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Is it just me or am I seeing more red on charts this morning than in a long time.

Cork (Leahyl country) still looking wet for the next few hours:

WOOHOO!! .....I think?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Winds deceptivly strong in parts of Dublin too.

One Gust nearly blew me over this morning. Mad stuff altogether

Deep Easterly the charts you just posted - the second one signifies how heavy the rainfall is with pink being very heavy??

Sorry i mean the first one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

leahyl wrote: »
    Deep Easterly the charts you just posted - the second one signifies how heavy the rainfall is with pink being very heavy??

Sorry i mean the first one

Yep, the first chart represents forecast rainfall amounts for the 3 hour period up to the time shown on the top of the chart. :). Racing black gloomy clouds here but still dry and still breezy.

The dewpoint and air temp here would suggest that snow is very likely for a time above 800ft inland in co wicklow-maybe above 600ft asl even.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Yesterday had 4 inches adding to the 3 inches that was there, 7 inches sitting. Made snowman & ice sculpture.

During the night a substantial thaw. Heard rain sleet & wind repeatedly.

Awoke at 8am, substantial thaw, about half the driveway clear. No snow on car. Snowman unaffected (will refer to him as Arthur for now). About 10% of ice sculpture gone.

Heavy blizzard conditions though, by 9am drive covered completely in 'slush', wind force 7 to 8 Easterly.

Called inlaws, 1.3 miles away, -300ft elevation, snow gone & heavy rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Morning all,

Just drove into work. Very Heavy rain, strong winds. Flooding on the main Cork - Killarney Road. Trees down. Back roads very slippy due to remaining ice and slush. 95% of Snow gone in the the Garden. Snowmen 60% gone.

I guess back to normal weather :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Tis very windy in Cork, it's actually kept me awake its so bad where I am (b'town)

+ 1.

I didn't sleep until about 4AM.

Just to give people an idea of how strong the wind is ... the wind has cracked my double-glazed window. (Split is about 15 inches long and 10 inches high)
    :(

I'm supposed to be travelling back to Dublin today ... Do people reckon that's safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Dew point on the rise here, up to 0.0°C now, a little higher and will just be rain or snow that wont settle here. Grand stuff.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I cant understand whats going on this morning, why wasnt a servere weather warning issued for Kerry by ME, I could have prepared for this. Now Im not near the sea. Its caused a lot of damage for me. Can anyone tell me how long this is meant to last and is it going to get worse?

jessie37 wrote: »
    I cant understand whats going on this morning, why wasnt a servere weather warning issued for Kerry by ME, I could have prepared for this. Now Im not near the sea. Its caused a lot of damage for me. Can anyone tell me how long this is meant to last and is it going to get worse?

+1 i mean they issued a weather warning but they didn't really say much about it although my dad said we're meant to get 50mm of rain today!!:eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

roads in longford this morning are a total joke. took half an hour to get out of the driveway before we were met with a road full of black ice. took another 25 minutes to get into work thats normally a 7 minute journey, and about 15 minutes in the last few weeks.

very dangerous conditions. 1c here atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

The dewpoint and air temp here would suggest that snow is very likely for a time above 800ft inland in co wicklow-maybe above 600ft asl even.

The weirdest looking bright pink/grey sky here. Cant see top of sugarloaf & its not a fog.. Catty Gallagher & foothills getting dumped on too..

Bitter cold - DP 1.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

+1 i mean they issued a weather warning but they didn't really say much about it although my dad said we're meant to get 50mm of rain today!!:eek:

One of the National Radio stations just forecast for today -" Remaining relatively dry today with a few scattered showers ":mad:
    I was shouting WTF at the car radio:confused::confused:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

jenzz wrote: »
    The weirdest looking bright pink/grey sky here. Cant see top of sugarloaf & its not a fog.. Catty Gallagher & foothills getting dumped on too..

Bitter cold - DP 1.1

Tell me one thing and tell me no more - what or where is Catty Gallagher?

Shannon radar gone again!

3.0c DP 1.1c (downgrading my sneaky snow watch for the moment).

its actually quite frightning here. winds are definitely 100 mph,

• Advertisement

jessie37 wrote: »
    its actually quite frightning here. winds are definitely 100 mph,

Ya i'd say we've already reached the 50mm mark tbh!:eek:

Advertisement