Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday 12th - Strong winds, Heavy Rain & Surprise Snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

jessie37 wrote: »
    its actually quite frightning here. winds are definitely 100 mph,

Put your location in your profile so we know where here is please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Tell me one thing and tell me no more - what or where is Catty Gallagher?

Shannon radar gone again!

3.0c DP 1.1c (downgrading my sneaky snow watch for the moment).

Catty is a mountain overlooking dublin Bay & north wicklow. Just ontop of Quarry Rd Shankill ( backroads) Rathmichael.

If we gonna get hit by snow from the East I can generally tell by it as its east facing..

Lovely climb really & stunning views

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

its actually quite frightning here. winds are definitely 100 mph,

I'd say this is taking people somewhat by surprise as the wind is east or south east - not a direction people are used to getting strong winds from.

The following weather warning was issued yesterday:

Southeast gales or strong gales on all Irish coastal waters and the Irish Sea today, with storm force winds for a time this morning on coasts from Mizen Head to Valentia to Erris Head.

I suppose people/the local media were so focussed on the snow, this passed them by?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 eastie

Lads these last few days have convinced me that Met Eireann dont have much of a fecken clue. Yes they did say there was going to be a storm, but this is of almost hurrican proportions, the neighbours 16 foot trampoline (which takes two people to move) has just gone arse over tits over the ditch and down the field. It would have done serious damage if it hit a car or God forbid a person. Any chance they could get trampoline graphics for the weather forecast? For when the weather is this bad and they might blow away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

eastie wrote: »
    Lads these last few days have convinced me that Met Eireann dont have much of a fecken clue. Yes they did say there was going to be a storm, but this is of almost hurrican proportions, the neighbours 16 foot trampoline (which takes two people to move) has just gone arse over tits over the ditch and down the field. It would have done serious damage if it hit a car or God forbid a person. Any chance they could get trampoline graphics for the weather forecast? For when the weather is this bad and they might blow away?

Severe gusts by sounds of things - Those trampoline things dont move easy at all :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

sorry

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

jenzz wrote: »
    Catty is a mountain overlooking dublin Bay & north wicklow. Just ontop of Quarry Rd Shankill ( backroads) Rathmichael.

If we gonna get hit by snow from the East I can generally tell by it as its east facing..

Lovely climb really & stunning views

Ahhh, yes....Carrickgollogan. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Sh1t. Just lost power here. Only a few seconds but wonder if it's a sign of things to come. :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

sorry

no need to be sorry, it just helps to pinpoint whats going on around the country :)

Now it's gone completely. I knew I had a bad feeling about today. I think we are going to get hit harder than Met have been saying. This could be an event we will remember for a while. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

wind really strong around Galway City. Extremely dark as well, looks more like 9:30 pm:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

wind really strong around Galway City. Extremely dark as well, looks more like 9:30 pm:(

You ain't seen nothing yet!;)

although the wind is kind of gone down here now a bit....doesn't seem as windy anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Morning all,

Significant thaw here last night with all but an inch or two of lying snow remaining.

Rain/sleet has turned to heavy sleet and turning increasingly to wet snow driven on by a howling SE wind. Tree down at bottom of garden. A very strong SE wind is not so usual around here, and no doubt helped bring the tree.

Temp is 1.5c. I imagine the uppers are not condusive to snow which is why I am seeing sleet.

Wolfe

ps.. my snowman now looks like he is the only one left at the party

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Last night sleep was very hit and miss, that low rumble growl continued all night, dog went mad also about 6am, in work now the office is shuddering, this could be very bad today...

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

any snow reports put there or just wind/rain/sleet?

Last night sleep was very hit and miss, that low rumble growl continued all night, dog went mad also about 6am, in work now the office is shuddering, this could be very bad today...

ya i'm on top floor of my building and rain is battering off the roof, wind howling:eek:!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Winds are fierce here in Waterford and constant, its dry now and very overcast/murky, I'm high up in an exposed building and the windows are whistling. Proper Irish Winter!!

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭jj72

leahyl wrote: »
    You ain't seen nothing yet!;)

although the wind is kind of gone down here now a bit....doesn't seem as windy anyway

Is it goin to get worse here in Galway?

jj72 wrote: »
    Is it goin to get worse here in Galway?

I think it might be headed your way but i am certainly NOT an expert so maybe the others can confirm or deny?!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Wind seems to have picked up here in the last hour. Still dry. 3.6C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Looking at oranmore weather station the wind has been climbing steadily all morning, already seeing gusts of 100kmh, windchill still -3 with a bit of sleet around, makes for a very messy mix underfoot. be careful on the paths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Just slightly off topic, but would be of interest to anyone in the south of Dublin city who has lost water because of the weather, Dublin Corporation say they have no idea how long the water outages will last but there will be announcement in the next hour or so regarding sending water tankers to affected areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ciaranm

mad DIY wrote: »
    Just slightly off topic, but would be of interest to anyone in the south of Dublin city who has lost water because of the weather, Dublin Corporation say they have no idea how long the water outages will last but there will be announcement in the next hour or so regarding sending water tankers to affected areas.

Yep.

No water in Rathgar since yesterday afternoon. And as a result, no heating either.
    And I ain't taking no shower at some water tanker!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

The wind is really picking up now. Very strong gusts.

Getting very windy here now. Esb still out. I was in the process of setting up a weather / storm cam using ustream.com when power went off too. Anyone else in Donegal without power?

ciaranm wrote: »
    Yep.

No water in Rathgar since yesterday afternoon. And as a result, no heating either.
    And I ain't taking no shower at some water tanker!

There's going to be a lot of smelly Dubliners soon, me included :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Highest gust from 0800 - 0900

Valentia 114 kmph

When are those winds expected to hit Dublin ? All we need here is no water and no elec...

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Super windy in Craughwell, rather substantial heavy garden furniture at opposite end of garden to where it should be... wind obviously coming from unusual direction because its normally the playhouse that travels (which is still as it should be)... poor birdtable has fallen and been decapitated. Hasnt rained much yet though. I want the snow back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Sha

I'm in Cork and my Water has just come back this morn. All the cold taps are running in the house so fingers crossed things should be back to normal soon. Hope this gives you all with no water out there some hope !!:)

Advertisement