Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday 12th - Strong winds, Heavy Rain & Surprise Snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

gusts not as strong as earlier ( 6 AM) here in Waterford but wind is more persistent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

1850 372 999. Esb fault/emergency number if anyone needs it. Power out from Ballyshannon to donegal town and all surrounding areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

irish1967 wrote: »
    Getting very windy here now. Esb still out. I was in the process of setting up a weather / storm cam using ustream.com when power went off too. Anyone else in Donegal without power?

No Irish we've still got power here. Gusts are stronger now still. I dunno but I have a feelin we won't fair as bad up here as you might in DL town, only 1.5 hours away. No rain here yet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Wind has been pretty ferocious here overnight and this morning here in Mid-Kerry.
    Had to take the dog out for a walk this morning and nearly got blown of my feet a few times. Its amazing that only yesterday we were full of snow and today its as if it never happened .... roads have plenty of water on them and no sign of the recent cold snap at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

This beast certainly seems to be heading NW. This is possibly why we are not seeing rain here in the W/NW. Is this moving like preditcted? Is there more of a chance of colder weather coming back if this heads NW?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

snaps wrote: »
    This beast certainly seems to be heading NW. This is possibly why we are not seeing rain here in the W/NW. Is this moving like preditcted? Is there more of a chance of colder weather coming back if this heads NW?

I think they mentioned that the cold air could return again next week? But sure as we know that can change in an instant!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Its looking bad for here later on. Temp this morning at 7.30 was 3.2 on my weather station now its down to 2.5 and the wind is really strong.

Road conditions are terrible Black Ice everywhere

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    Its looking bad for here later on. Temp this morning at 7.30 was 3.2 on my weather station now its down to 2.5 and the wind is really strong.

Road conditions are terrible Black Ice everywhere

Yes temp dropping here too. Was 3.9c about an hour ago, now 3.2c I went to check my sensor hadn't moved into ice or onto the ground, but its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

In the last hour snow has turned to rain, wind still E, slackening to F7 from F7-8.

Took a short drive, be very wary of flooding. Basically any roads that were ploughed have dykes filled with ice so the water takes another route, possibly through your kitchen if that is easiest.

Much of the road I drove had more water on it than I have seen before and we had 2 damaging flash floods here in recent years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Latest ( and then press the F5 key to get later again) has the steady northward march of this system slowed or stalled. The centre appears to be hanging around off the west coast .....bugger :(

EUMETSAT_MSG_RGB-airmass-westernEurope.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 emac82

Flooding very bad here again this morning in west cork! Back roads still have ice on them in places! Bandon and Skibbereen could be in trouble again if this keeps up!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The centre of the low is to push northwest off the west coast while a small centre of it moves east into England. Winds veer SE and somewhat drier air/ colder air attempts to be pushed into the northeast.

Precip not really expected to reach Dublin until 6pm, temperatures expected to decline on arrivial of precip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Very strong winds and rain here, batten down the hatches.

Oh it's a day for snuggling up on the couch in front of the fire with a cup of tea! But i can't do that....oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

3.7c here, been a howling SE gale since dawn, now rain and sleet too. Our trampoline is anchored down after a previous flying trip. Couple of power outages during the early hours, brutal underfoot when I went out to feed animals so have come back in. Today may be a book, tea and biscuits on the couch day...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Getting very wild in galway..

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

mad DIY wrote: »
    There's going to be a lot of smelly Dubliners soon, me included :o

baby wipes are your friend...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Wet snow here. Not settling at moment.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

Looks like Clare is going to get a window of opportunity for dry weather. Time to get that trampoline Chicken!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

highest wind gust 0900 - 0100

Sherkin Island 107.4 kmph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

3.7c here, been a howling SE gale since dawn, now rain and sleet too. Our trampoline is anchored down after a previous flying trip. Couple of power outages during the early hours, brutal underfoot when I went out to feed animals so have come back in. Today may be a book, tea and biscuits on the couch day...

Glad you have the ole trampoline anchored this time. We learnt the hard way too, trampoline went for a night flight in a gale a few years ago, must have lifted off, because it cleared our front hedge, crossed the road and into a field across the road, and into a far ditch, miraculously missing ESB poles and telephone wires. It had the protective net around it, must have acted like a sail and took off, all 13 foot diameter of it....

Anyway, on topic, windy,cloudy,dry and cold sums it up. No snow left,just bits of slush, ground still quite hard but thawing slowly. Please hurry up thaw, want my water back badly!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I am delighted to see that the ice and snow is gone. Now I hope to have water back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Very heavy rain in Cork city for quite a number of hours. I will be amazed if severe flooding does not result from this. It also looks like there are quite a few more hours of possibly even heavier rain to come.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/3hour.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

Winds gusting to over 50mph here (85+ kph). Certainly these are by no means the strongest winds experienced here in North Clare or in other parts of the western seaboard this winter. Looking at the reports from other weather stations there are no hurricane winds or anything approaching 100mph winds.I am open to correction on this from the experts like MT but I think the difference is that these winds are approaching from the east whereas we usually experience winds from the south west/west. Rainfall now 24.3mm with temp of 2.6 from a high of 3.6 at around 9.00am.

Wolfe - your noise experience may have been the sound of the Atlantic. I notice that even in calm days when there is any slight wind from the east the sound of the sea is very loud. I don't have any scientific explanation for it just my observation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I am delighted to see that the ice and snow is gone. Now I hope to have water back soon.

I am waiting for that sound of attic tank filling up....a sound usually taken for granted and ignored, now will be the sweetest sound of them all....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

WolfEire, did you err, see it?

Leeside wrote: »
    Very heavy rain in Cork city for quite a number of hours. I will be amazed if severe flooding does not result from this. It also looks like there are quite a few more hours of possibly even heavier rain to come.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/3hour.asp

Jaysus look at that pink over Cork!!:eek:

RoisinD wrote: »
    Wolfe - your noise experience may have been the sound of the Atlantic. I notice that even in calm days when there is any slight wind from the east the sound of the sea is very loud. I don't have any scientific explanation for it just my observation.

Hi Roisin,

Thanks for that ob on the noise last night.

Heavy sleet mixed with wet snow here still. As MT said it is a 'messy mix'. Some damaging gusts out there. Cermaic potted plant has just smashed into pieces. Tree down at bottom of garden (leaning into other trees). Hope the power doesn't go.

Temp 1.5c still (sheltered on west side of house). Wind is due east.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Mossy Monk wrote: »

It might not happen as quick as you think, ground probably still well frozen like around here.

Yes temp dropping here too. Was 3.9c about an hour ago, now 3.2c I went to check my sensor hadn't moved into ice or onto the ground, but its fine.

Now 2.7c!

• Advertisement

ch750536 wrote: »
    WolfEire, did you err, see it?
    hehe. no. 'It' slipped a note under my door saying it had met his match and that I had blown 'its' cover by posting on boards. He said he will try scare the crap out of someone else.

Advertisement